The Zika virus is transmitted by the bite of an infected Aedes mosquito. Symptoms and signs of a Zika virus infection include conjunctivitis, headache, joint pain, fever, rash, and muscle aches. Treatment for Zika virus infections aims to alleviate symptoms. Read more: Zika Virus (Zika Fever) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Is It Contagious? What Diseases Are Contagious?
Is it contagious? Take this quiz to learn about contagious diseases, how contagious diseases are spread, and myths and facts...
Summer Skin Risks: Sunburn, Bug Bites & Poison Ivy
When it comes to summer, there plenty of hazards under the sun! Take the Summer Skin Hazards Quiz and clue in on the dangers to...
Zika Fever Quiz: Get Facts On Zika Infection
What do you need to know about Zika? Take this quiz to learn the causes, symptoms, treatments and prevention methods for this...
Bad Bugs: Identify Bug Bites From Mosquitos, Spiders and More
What do bed bug bites look like? See spider bite pictures and learn how to identify bug bites from mosquitos, bees, bed bugs,...
Summer Skin-Hazard Pictures: Stings, Bites, Burns, and More
Don't let spider bites, sunburn, poison ivy, chigger bites, and jellyfish stings sabotage your healthy skin. Learn how you can...
25 Ways to Stay Well Abroad in Pictures
Explore travel health tips and vaccines to prevent disease while abroad. Learn to protect yourself against malaria, hepatitis,...
West Nile Virus Infection: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
Watch this slideshow on West Nile Virus (encephalitis). Spread by mosquitoes that feed on infected birds, learn about causes,...
Viral Infection Types, Treatment, and Prevention
Watch this slideshow on Viral Infections and learn about types, treatment, and prevention of illnesses caused by viruses....
Zika Virus Symptoms, Pregnancy, Treatments, Vaccine
A quick guide to the Zika virus, its causes, symptoms, and treatment options. Find out how Zika is transmitted by mosquitoes,...
Mosquito Repellents: What Works and What Doesn't?
Mosquito bites are itchy, annoying, and can even make you sick. Find out what works (and what doesn't) to protect you from these...
Related Disease Conditions
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Pinkeye, also called conjunctivitis, is redness or irritation of the conjunctivae, the membranes on the inner part of the eyelids...
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes:...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STD)
Sexually transmitted diseases, or STDs, are infections that are transmitted during any type of sexual exposure, including...
Microcephaly is a genetic condition where the circumference of the head is smaller than normal due to underdeveloped brain....
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
Birth defects have many causes and currently, are the leading cause of death for infants in the first year of life. Some of the...
Dengue fever is contracted from the bite of a striped Aedes aegypti mosquito. Symptoms and signs of dengue include headache,...
West Nile Virus
West Nile virus (West Nile encephalitis) is a brain infection caused by a virus. People become infected with the virus after...
STDs in Men
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections transmitted during sexual contact. They may be caused by viruses, bacteria,...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Pregnancy (STDs)
When you are pregnant, many sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) can be especially harmful to you and your baby. These STDs...
Early Pregnancy Symptoms and Signs
Pregnancy symptoms can vary from woman to woman, and not all women experience the same symptoms. When women do experience...
Bug Bites and Stings
Bug bites and stings have been known to transmit insect-borne illnesses such as West Nile virus, Rocky Mountain spotted fever,...
Yellow fever is an infectious disease transmitted by infected mosquitoes. Side effects are rare with the yellow fever vaccine....
Chikungunya Virus (Chikungunya Infection)
Chikungunya virus is an infection spread (transmitted) through a bite from an infected mosquito. Common symptoms of Chikungunya...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- diphenhydramine, Benadryl
- Over-the-Counter Products
- EpiPen (epinephrine auto-injector, EpiPen Jr)
- permethrin topical cream, Nix Cream, Elimite
- diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (DTP) vaccine injection (Adult)
Prevention & Wellness
- Could the Zika Virus Fight the Brain Cancer That Killed John McCain?
- New, Natural Pesticides Effective Against Mosquitoes: Study
- Zika, West Nile Cases Reported in Alabama
- Health Woes Hit 1 in 7 Babies Exposed to Zika in U.S. Territories
- FDA Drops Zika Testing for Blood Donors
- Zika Dangers During Pregnancy May Be Worse Than Thought
- Could Flea Fighters Stem Spread of Diseases Like Zika?
- Detailed Image of Zika Virus Could Lead to Better Vaccines and Treatments
- Some California Mosquitoes Can Carry Zika Virus
- Florida Teen First Human Case of Another Mosquito-Borne Virus
- Health Tip: Travel-Related Ills May Surface After You Return
- Thirsty Mosquitoes May Bite More in Droughts
- Even a Mosquito's Spit May Help Make You Sick
- Is Testing for Zika in U.S. Blood Supply Worth the Cost?
- U.S. Illnesses Tied to Ticks, Mosquitoes Are Soaring
- Zika May Linger in Semen for Shorter Period Than Thought: Study
- Zika Infection After Birth May Require Long-Term Follow-Up
- Birth Defects Affect 7 Percent of Zika-Exposed Babies: Study
- Mosquitoes Spreading Zika Virus in Parts of U.S.: CDC
- Babies With Normal Head Size Might Still Have Zika-Linked Brain Damage
- West Nile Virus May Pose Zika-Like Threat to Fetus
- Zika Attacks Placentas of Pregnant Monkeys, Study Finds
- Zika Tied to Rise in U.S. Birth Defects: CDC
- Mom-to-Be's Immune Response May Trigger Zika Birth Defects
- Zika Babies Facing Increasing Health Problems With Age
- Zika Nerve Damage May Stem From Body's Response to the Virus
- First Sexually Transmitted Zika Case of Year in Miami-Dade County
- Treeless Tropics, More Disease-Carrying Mosquitoes?
- Some U.S. Olympians Got West Nile in Brazil, But Not Zika
- First Test to Detect Zika in Blood Donations Approved
- Zika Vaccine Works in Early Human Trial
- Antibody Injections in Pregnancy Might Shield Fetus From Zika
- How Zika Virus Went From Mild to Devastating
- Rapid, Easy Zika Test Developed
- Sound the Mosquito Alarm, Across the USA
- Beat Back Mosquitos After Hurricane Irma
- Vision Problems Common in Babies Infected With Zika
- Could the Zika Virus Help Battle a Deadly Brain Cancer?
- Harvey's Health Hazards Will Continue During Cleanup
- Zika May Not Last in Semen as Long as Thought
- 'Herd Immunity' May Be Curbing U.S. Zika Numbers
- Zika Virus Tied to Neurological Woes in Adults
- Sexually Transmitted Zika Case Confirmed in Florida
- Zika Probably Not Spread Through Saliva: Study
- Suspected Case of Mosquito-Transmitted Zika in Texas
- Fresno Program Aims to Eliminate Zika-Carrying Mosquitoes
- Impaired Eyesight May Be First Sign of Zika Damage in Babies
- Experimental Vaccines Might Shield Fetus From Zika
- Malaria Drug Protected Mouse Fetus From Zika: Study
- Health Tip: Do I Need a Zika Test?
- Immunizations for High Flyin' Travelers
- Tissue Testing Can Spot Zika at Birth: CDC
- Zika-Bearing Mosquitoes More Widespread in U.S. Than Expected
- Experimental Zika Vaccine Protects Mice Against Virus: Study
- Vaginal Bacteria May Affect Herpes and Zika Transmission
- 1 in 20 Pregnant Women Infected With Zika Have Babies With Birth Defects: CDC
- Zika's Set to Return to Mainland U.S., But Budget Cuts Threaten Response
- Eye Problems May Be Tied to Zika, Lab Study Suggests
- Zika Arrived in Florida at Least Four Different Ways
- Zika Mosquito Can Transmit Other Viruses, Too
- Mosquito-Borne Illnesses May Not Be Limited to Tropics
- 'Groundbreaking Strides' Made in Zika Vaccine Research
- Zika Risk May Be Lower Than Thought for Some Pregnant Women
- Cheap Test Might Pinpoint Where Zika Mosquitoes Lurk
- Zika Epidemic in U.S. Could Be a Costly Scenario
- U.S. Moves to Avert Shortage of Yellow Fever Vaccine
- Epilepsy: Another Potential Zika Threat to Babies
- Zika Can Harm Babies' Vision, Too
- Another Type of Mosquito May Carry Zika
- Don't Let Bugs Dampen Your Outdoor Fun
- Not All Mosquitoes Need Standing Water to Breed: Study
- U.S. Blood Supply Safe From Zika Virus, Officials Say
- Birth Defects Strike 1 in 10 U.S. Pregnancies Affected by Zika
- Scientists Probe Zika's Path to the Fetus
- Cases of Zika-Linked Birth Defects Dropped in Brazil in 2016
- Florida Residents Urged to Take Anti-Mosquito Measures
- New Technology Makes Gene Mapping Cheaper, Faster: Study
- Houston Officials Considering Gene-Modified Mosquitoes to Fight Zika
- Sperm Donations Discouraged in 3 Florida Counties Due to Zika Fears
- Zika Virus May Also Harm the Heart
- Zika Attacks Nerves, Muscles, Other Tissues
- Risk of Birth Defects 20 Times Higher for Zika Moms: CDC
- Zika Infection Shrinks Testicles in Mice
- Scientists Probe Zika's Devastating Effect on Pregnancy
- Zika Lingers in Semen for Less Time Than Thought: Study
- New Zika Vaccine Candidate Provides Powerful Protection
- Doctors Describe First U.S. Case of Locally Acquired Zika in Pregnancy
- Why Major Zika Outbreak Is Unlikely in U.S.
- Zika Fears, Opioid Abuse Crisis Top Health News for 2016
- CDC Allocates $184 Million for Zika Protection
- Did El Nino Weather Give Zika a Boost?
- Pregnant Women Should Avoid Zika-Hit Texas Town: CDC
- Birth Defects From Zika More Far-Reaching Than Thought
- Lab Vaccine Shields Mice Against Zika Virus
- Zika Still a Threat During Winter Months
- Study Shows How Zika Attacks Infant Brain
- Florida Now Zika-Free: CDC
- Zika-Linked Birth Defects Surge in Colombia: CDC
- Best Way to Beat Back Zika a Matter of Debate
- New Clues to Huge Jump in U.S. Mosquito Population
- Five NYC Babies Born With Zika-Linked Brain Problems
- Another Miami Neighborhood Now Zika-Free
- First Case of Zika-Linked Glaucoma Diagnosed in Infant
- U.S. Should Reinforce Blood Supply: Report
- Texas Reports 1st Likely Case of Local Zika Infection
- Zika Babies May Look Normal at Birth, Display Brain Defects Later: CDC
- Imaging Studies Shed Light on Zika's Effects
- FDA Scientists Develop Mouse Model for Zika Research
- Zika No Longer 'Global Health Emergency,' WHO Says
- Zika Can Survive on Hard Surfaces for Hours
- Women at Greater Risk Than Men for Zika Infection: Study
- Mosquitoes Can Deliver Zika/Chikungunya Double Whammy
- DNA-Based Vaccine Protects Against Zika in Animal Study
- Antibody Treatment Shields Fetus From Zika -- in Mice
- Could Zika Harm Men's Fertility?
- Mouse Study Hints at Damage Zika May Cause to Adult Brain
- Zika Testing for All Pregnant Women Who Have Been in Florida County: CDC
- New Clues on How Zika Causes Brain Birth Defects
- CDC Updates Spending Plans to Combat Zika
- Zika Infection May Bring Future Immunity: Study
- Scientists Map DNA of Zika Virus From Semen
- Florida Officials Announce New Zika Zone in Miami
- Zika Virus Can Damage Fetal Brain Late in Pregnancy: Study
- DEET Repellents Safe in Pregnancy to Prevent Zika, Researchers Say
- Zika Connection to Rare Nerve Disorder Bolstered by Study
- Zika Causes Widespread Damage to Fetal Brain
- CDC: Pregnant Women Should Avoid Southeast Asia Due to Zika
- Scientists ID Key Fetal Cells Vulnerable to Zika
- Congress Agrees to More Zika Funding: Reports
- Zika May Be Passed on Through Tears, Sweat: Report
- Hurdles Ahead for Zika Vaccine: Experts
- Common Culex Mosquitoes Don't Transmit Zika Virus: Study
- Insecticide Spraying Working Against Florida's Zika Mosquitoes: Officials
- DNA-Based Vaccine Guards Against Zika in Monkey Study
- Another Mosquito-Borne Virus Moves North From the Amazon
- CDC Ends Zika Travel Advisory for Miami Neighborhood
- CDC May Lift Zika Travel Advisory for Miami Neighborhood
- Zika Found in Eye Fluid in Study
- More Evidence That Zika Causes Microcephaly
- Aerial Spraying For The Mosquito That Carries Zika Raises Concerns In Miami Beach
- Monkey Study Shows How Zika May Harm Baby's Brain Development
- CDC's Frieden: We're Nearly Out of Money to Fight Zika
- Congress Can't Agree on Additional Funding to Fight Zika
- U.N. Tightens Safe Sex Guidelines for Visitors to Zika Zones
- Zika Infection Found in Eyes of Mice
- Strong Link Emerges Between Zika, Spikes in Temporary Paralysis Cases
- 3 Zika-Carrying Mosquitoes Found in Florida
- Funds to Fight Zika Nearly Exhausted: CDC
- Researchers Find Another Way Zika Can Harm Babies
- Case Study Links New Neurological Complication to Zika
- 3 Drugs Identified to Potentially Fight Zika Virus
- Just Spraying Adult Mosquitoes Won't Curb Zika: Study
- FDA Recommends All Blood Donations Be Tested for Zika
- Sex Partner With No Zika Symptoms Transmits Virus: CDC
- New Case of Local Zika Infection Reported in Florida
- Animal Research Yields Clues to Sexual Spread of Zika
- Zika May Persist for Months in Newborns, Study Shows
- Scans Show Range of Zika-Linked Infant Brain Defects
- Five More Cases of Local Zika Infection Reported in Florida
- Five Local Zika Cases Reported in Miami Beach
- CDC Advises Pregnant Women to Avoid Miami Beach Due to Zika
- Zika Kills Vital Nervous System Cells in Adult Mice, Study Finds
- Possible Cases of Local Zika Transmission in Miami Beach
- Doctors Report Probable Zika Transmission Via Blood Transfusion
- Texas Reports 1st U.S. Case of Zika From Travel to Another State
- White House Transfers $81M to Continue Zika Vaccine Research
- Zika Not Changing Most Americans' Florida Travel Plans: Poll
- Study IDs 2 Zika Virus Proteins Linked to Microcephaly
- White House Transfers $81B to Continue Zika Vaccine Research
- New Zika Threat to Babies: Late-Onset Microcephaly
- 4 More Cases of Local Zika Infection Reported in Miami Area
- Zika May Have Caused Death of Texas Newborn
- Zika Linked to Deformed Limbs in Newborns
- Officials: Aerial Spraying Working Against Miami Mosquitoes
- 3 Zika Vaccines Effective in Monkeys
- U.S. Launches Early Trial of Zika Vaccine
- Zika Won't Pose Risks at the Olympics: Health Experts
- Zika: Why Brazil, Why Now
- CDC Awards $16M in Fight Against Zika
- Miami's Zika Infections Up to 14: Officials
- Florida Investigates 2 More Possible Cases of Zika Virus Local Transmission
- Timing Conception Might Help Reduce Zika Risk in Affected Areas
- Florida Confirms Local Zika Cases
- Zika Now Tied to Miscarriage
- CDC Updates Zika Guidelines for Pregnant Women
- 1.6 Million Child-Bearing Women in Latin America Could Get Zika: Study
- Little Threat of Zika Spread From Rio Olympics: Study
- Florida Investigates 2nd Possible Local Transmission of Zika Virus
- Some Pregnant Women Still Travel to Zika-Affected Areas
- Florida Investigates Possible Local Transmission of Zika Virus
- New Clues to Zika's Threat to Fetus, and How to Stop It
- Latest Zika Puzzle: How U.S. Patient Infected Caregiver
- Is There a New Way to Get Zika?
- Making Sense of Senseless Violence
- 1st Case of Female-to-Male Sexual Transmission of Zika Reported
- Latin America Zika Outbreak Should 'Burn Out' Within 3 Years, Scientists Say
- Zika Drives Heightened Mosquito Fears: Survey
- U.S. Army, French Drugmaker to Join Forces on Zika Vaccine
- Can Bats Really Help Fight Mosquitos?
- Zika Brain Damage May Occur in Babies With Normal-Sized Heads
- Success in Mice Shows Zika Vaccine 'Feasible'
- Zika Infection May Give Future Immunity, Monkey Study Suggests
- Dallas Confirms 10 Zika Cases in Pregnant Women
- Dengue Virus May Bolster Zika's Attack
- Abortion Rates Rising in Zika-Affected Countries, Study Shows
- Zika Can Also Strike Eyes of Adults: Report
- Zika's Delivery Via Mosquito Bite May Boost Its Effect
- Zika Spreading Rapidly Through Puerto Rico: CDC
- Scientists Explore Possible Way to Stop Zika in Its Tracks
- CDC Reports Six Cases of Birth Defects Caused by Zika
- Timing of Zika Infection in Pregnancy May Be Key to Birth Defect Risk
- Zika Could Spread in Southern Europe This Summer
- Couples Living in Zika Areas Should Delay Pregnancy, WHO Advises
- Pregnant or Planning to Be? How to Protect Yourself From Zika Virus
- Report Hints Zika Can Spread Through Oral Sex
- Zika Threat Calls for Extra Mosquito Protection This Summer
- Zika Infections Through Sex More Common Than Thought: WHO
- Girl With Zika Birth Defect Born at New Jersey Hospital
- Most Americans Aware of Zika Threat, But Gaps in Knowledge Remain
- Some Experts Question Extent of Zika Threat to U.S.
- Doctors Spot New Vision Problems in Babies Struck by Zika
- Cases of Pregnant U.S. Women With Zika Triple Under New Counting Method
- Zika Symptoms May Vary, So Testing Is Crucial
- Mouse Models Reveal How Zika Infects Fetuses
- Urine More Accurate Than Blood for Zika Testing
- Zika Destroys Fetal Brain Cells, Lab Study Finds
- Portable Zika Test Shows Promise in Monkeys
- With Zika at the Doorstep, U.S. Health Officials Brace for Battle
- What You Need to Know About the Zika Virus
- Bacteria Experiment May Point Way to Slow Zika's Spread
- Zika Virus Was in Haiti Long Before Brazil Outbreak: Study
- Officials Report First Zika Death in Puerto Rico
- Businesses Should Be Mindful of Zika Danger to Workers, CDC Says
- Doctors Issue Call to Combat Climate Change
- U.S. Health Experts Debate Advice to Women Once Zika Virus Arrives
- Zika Virus Causes Brain Defects in Babies: CDC
- CDC: Zika Virus Definitely Causes Microcephaly
- Zika May Be Linked to Autoimmune Brain Disorder, Study Says
- U.S. Moving Money From Ebola Fund to Help Fight Zika
- CDC Zika Summit Details Plans to Fight Mosquito-Borne Illness
- Zika Coming: Some of U.S. Lacks Mosquito Control
- Clues to Zika Virus' Structure May Point to Weaknesses
- Study Explores Mechanism Between Zika Virus, Birth Defects
- FDA Approves Experimental Zika Test for Blood Donations
- Many Americans Misinformed About Zika Virus
- CDC Sets New Guidelines on Sex After Zika Exposure
- Couples Exposed to Zika Should Wait on Pregnancy
- Gene Analysis Pinpoints Zika's Arrival in the Americas
- WHO: Zika May Cause 'Severe Public Health Crisis'
- CDC: 116 Cases of Zika in U.S. Residents in First 2 Months of Year
- Scientists Pick U.S. Cities Where Zika Might Hit This Summer
- Puerto Rico Looks East for Help With Zika Mosquito
- Scientists Assess Risk to Pregnant Women Infected With Zika
- Pregnant Puerto Ricans Fearful of Zika
- In Zika Fight, FDA Gives Tentative OK to Tests of Gene-Modified Mosquito
- Fight Turns Personal for a Man at War With Zika
- Zika Poses Serious Threat to Puerto Rico: U.S. Health Officials
- Another Neurological Disorder Tied to Zika
- WHO: Pregnant Women Shouldn't Travel to Zika Areas
- Zika on Our Doorstep
- Scientists Report Insights Into Zika Virus and Birth Defect
- Zika Virus Tied to Rare Disorder That Can Cause Paralysis
- Zika Found in 9 U.S. Pregnancies, Outcomes Often Severe: CDC
- Pregnant Travelers, Tough Choices on Zika Testing
- Report Suggests Zika's Effect on Fetus May Be Even Deadlier Than Thought
- CDC Researchers Join Hunt for Zika Clues in Brazil
- CDC Cites 14 Potential New Cases of Zika Transmitted By Sex
- Texas Hospitals Develop Rapid Test for Zika Virus Detection
- Obama Asks Congress for $1.9 Billion to Battle Zika Virus
- Check Newborns of Women Who Visited Zika-Prone Areas for Infection: CDC
- U.S. Travelers Seek More Zika Details
- In Fight Against Zika Virus, Officials Consider Genetically Modified Mosquitoes
- FDA: Wait a Month to Donate Blood After Travel to Zika-Prone Areas
- WHO: Neurological Disorder on the Rise in Zika Zones
- CDC Offering Zika Virus Tests for Pregnant Women
- Researchers Probe Colombia's Claim of No Birth Defects Linked to Zika
- CDC Reports Link Between Zika Virus and Microcephaly
- Eye Defects Seen in Some Babies Born With Zika-Linked Microcephaly
- Birth Defect Tied to Zika Virus Can Leave Children With Lifetime of Health Woes
- White House Seeks $1.8 Billion to Fight Zika Virus
- U.S. Officials: Zika Focus Is on Pregnant Women
- Record Heat, Drought May Explain Zika Outbreak in Brazil: Research
- CDC Adds New Zika Warning for Pregnant Women and Their Sex Partners
- Red Cross Takes Steps to Keep Zika Virus Out of Blood Supply
- Zika and Microcephaly: How Doctors Made the Link
- Texas Health Officials Report Sexually Transmitted Case of Zika Virus
- Tiny but Dangerous: The Mosquitoes Spreading Zika
- Emergency Declared Over Birth Defects Tied to Zika
- U.S. Weighs Changes to Blood Donations in Response to Zika Virus Outbreak
- Zika Vaccine Efforts Get Boost From Prior Research
- As Zika Virus Spreads, Doctors Try to Calm Fears
- CDC Broadens Zika Virus Travel Alert for Pregnant Women
- Zika Virus Expected to Spread North Through U.S.: WHO
- U.S. Ob-Gyn Group Supports Zika Virus Travel Precautions
- Zika Virus Likely to Spread to Southern United States, Experts Predict
- CDC Issues Zika-Virus Guidance for Docs With Pregnant Patients
- Zika Virus: What You Should Know
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter