Yoga is an activity that improves muscles strength and flexibility while centering your thoughts and relaxing you. The practice began in India more than 5,000 years ago. The most popular types of yoga in the U.S. are Hatha, Iyengar, Kundalini, Ashtanga, and Bikram. Yoga is beneficial for stress reduction, reducing neck pain, lowering high blood pressure, and reducing asthma symptoms. Read more: Yoga Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Low Back Pain: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Relief
Do you suffer from low back pain? Watch this slideshow to see common triggers of lower back pain and what kind of treatments you...
Back Pain: Find Relief, Treat Your Back Pain
Back pain conditions are very common. Learn the truth and get the facts behind myths, remedies, causes and treatment for back...
Exercise Tips for Seniors
Exercise for seniors is important for healthy and successful aging. Learn what happens to our bodies as we age, how to start...
Prenatal Workout: Safe Exercises for Pregnant Women
Pregnancy workouts explained. Discover the best safe pregnancy exercises for your workout. Exercise during pregnancy is an...
ADHD in Children: Better Parenting
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a common disorder seen in children. Parents can learn tips and techniques to...
Pictures of Famous People Coping With Migraines
See how celebrities cope with the pain caused by migraines. Learn their methods used to prevent and relieve migraine pain....
17 Must-Try Fitness Workouts in Pictures
Learn the latest exercise crazes such as TRX, pole dancing, Zumba, Kangoo jumps, boot camps, exergames and more that are designed...
Healthy Indulgences for Under $15 With Pictures
Isn't it time you took care of yourself? Good food, relaxation, laughter -- we offer 15 great ideas for affordable, healthy...
Related Disease Conditions
Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) Symptoms, Stages, and Prognosis
Congestive heart failure (CHF) refers to a condition in which the heart loses the ability to function properly. Heart disease,...
Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Aureus)
Staphylococcus or Staph is a group of bacteria that can cause a multitude of diseases. Staph infections can cause illness...
Parkinson's disease is a slowly progressive neurological disease characterized by a fixed inexpressive face, a tremor at rest,...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflammation of the joints, the tissue around the joints,...
Shoulder and Neck Pain
Shoulder and neck pain may be caused by bursitis, a pinched nerve, whiplash, tendinitis, a herniated disc, or a rotator cuff...
Lower Back Pain
There are many causes of back pain. Pain in the low back can relate to the bony lumbar spine, discs between the vertebrae,...
Migraine headaches are severe headaches that are sensitive to light, sounds, and smells. Some people who suffer from...
Athlete's foot (tinea pedis) is a skin infection caused by the ringworm fungus. Symptoms include itching, burning, cracking,...
Neck Pain (Cervical Pain)
Neck pain (cervical pain) may be caused by any number of disorders and diseases. Tenderness is another symptom of neck pain....
Gestational diabetes is a condition that is first recognized during pregnancy and is characterized by high blood sugar....
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease occurs due to the accumulation of abnormal amounts of fat within the liver. Fatty liver most...
Insulin resistance is the diminished ability of cells to respond to the action of insulin in transporting glucose (sugar) from...
A herniated disc may be caused by injury or degeneration from age. Symptoms depend on the location of the herniation and whether...
Scoliosis causes an abnormal curvature of the spine. When the cause of scoliosis is unknown the disorder is described based on...
Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain condition characterized by symptoms such as fatigue, sleep disturbances, and tender points. Stress...
Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a condition in which a person's pancreas does not produce enough insulin to meet the needs of the body....
Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction (SI Joint Pain)
Sacroiliac joint (SI) dysfunction is a general term to reflect pain in the SI joints. Causes of SI joint pain include...
Diabetes Diet (Type 2)
A type 2 diabetes diet or a type 2 diabetic diet is important for blood sugar (glucose) control in people with diabetes to...
Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is a combination of physical and emotional disturbances that occur after a woman ovulates and ends...
The main features of metabolic syndrome include insulin resistance, hypertension (high blood pressure), cholesterol...
Fabry Disease (Symptoms and Life Expectancy)
Fabry disease (Fabry's disease, alpha-galactosidase-A) is a genetic disorder with symptoms such as burning sensations in...
IBS-D (Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Diarrhea)
IBS-D or irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea refers to IBS with diarrhea. Symptoms of IBS-D include intestinal gas...
High Blood Pressure Treatment
High blood pressure (hypertension) means high pressure (tension) in the arteries. Treatment for high blood pressure include...
HDL vs. LDL Cholesterol (Differences, Normal Ranges, Meanings)
HDL (high-density lipoprotein), or the "good" cholesterol, and LDL (low-density lipoprotein), or the "bad"...
Stress Management Techniques
Stress may be considered as any physical, chemical, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental unrest and that may be a...
Type 1 vs Type 2 Diabetes (Similarities and Differences)
Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic condition in which a person's blood sugar (glucose) levels are too high. Over 29.1 million...
Piriformis syndrome may develop if the piriformis muscle spasms and compresses the sciatic nerve. This causes buttock pain that...
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to...
A diabetic diet, or diabetes diet helps keep blood glucose levels in the target range for patients. Exercise and medication may...
Type 1 Diabetes
Type 1 diabetes mellitus (juvenile) is an auto-immune disease with no known cause at this time. Symptoms of type 1 diabetes...
Fast-food consumption and lack of exercise are just a couple of causes of childhood obesity. Health effects of childhood obesity...
Prediabetes is a situation where a person's blood sugar levels are higher than they should be, but aren't high enough to be...
Hodgkin's disease is a cancer of the lymphatic system with symptoms that include unexplained, recurring fevers, unexplained...
IBS vs. IBD: Differences and Similarities
IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) are both problems with the digestive tract...
COPD vs. Emphysema (Differences Similarities)
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is the term doctors and other health care professionals use to describe a group of...
Menstrual Cramps and Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) Medication Guide
Menstrual cramps and premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms include abdominal cramping, bloating, a feeling of fullness, abdominal...
Alzheimer's Disease Patient Caregiver Guide
Caring for a loved one or patient with Alzheimer's can become a difficult and overwhelming task at times. This guide helps...
How to Lower Your Cholesterol
Cholesterol is naturally produced by the body, and is a building block for cell membranes and hormones. Low-density lipoprotein...
Parenting a Child With ADHD
ADHD is a behavioral condition with characteristics that include hyperactivity, inattention, and impulsivity. Parenting a child...
Colon Cancer Prevention
Colo-rectal cancer is both curable and preventable if it is detected early and completely removed before the cancerous cells...
Heart Attack Prevention
Heart disease and heart attacks can be prevented by leading a healthy lifestyle with diet, exercise, and stress management....
Vitamins & Exercise: Heart Attack Prevention Series
Vitamins and exercise can lower your risk for heart attack and heart disease. Folic acid, vitamins, and homocysteine levels are...
Alternative Treatment for MS (CAM for MS)
The term alternative therapy, in general, is used to describe any medical treatment or intervention that has not been...
Headaches are a common complaint for many people. There are many types of headaches such as migraine, tension, cluster, and the...
Doula vs. Midwife (Differences between Care, Costs, & Duties)
A midwife and doula are not the same thing. A doula's job is to provide non-medical, emotional, and personal support to a...
Pregnancy Changes and Body Discomforts
Pregnancy can bring challenges like weight gain, stretch marks, varicose veins, heartburn, constipation,...
Heart Attack Prevention Overview
Heart attacks are the major causes of unexpected, sudden death among men and women. A heart attack also is a significant cause...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Best Exercises for Asthma: Yoga, Swimming, Biking, and Walking
- Fibromyalgia: 3 Things to Do
- Prediabetes Symptoms and Diagnosis
- Fitness: 10 Tips to Find the Right Fitness Class For You!
- Coping With Chronic Rheumatic Diseases
- Fitness When There's No Time to Exercise
- Stress: 8 Immediate Stress-Busters
- Yoga for Back Problems
- Yoga -- Anyone Can Do It
Medications & Supplements
- Cox-2 Inhibitors
- phentermine (Adipex-P, Lomaira)
- Anxiolytics (for Anxiety) Drug Class Side Effects
- SGLT2 Inhibitors (Sodium-Glucose Co-Transporter 2)
- glipizide and metformin (Metaglip has been discontinued in the US)
- Adlyxin (lixisenatide)
- alirocumab (Praluent)
- tolazamide (Tolinase brand has been discontinued.)
Prevention & Wellness
- Yoga May Give Lung Cancer Patients, Caregivers a Boost
- Yoga and Aerobics Doubles Heart Benefits
- Health Tip: Meditation May Help Lower Heart Disease Risk
- Can You 'Om' Your Way to a Healthy Heart?
- Yoga May Bring Better Sleep to Breast Cancer Patients
- When It Comes to Exercise, Quality Trumps Quantity
- Styling a Home Gym
- Lifestyle Tips for Better Diabetes Control
- Many Parents Don't Tell Doctor About 'Complementary' Therapy Use in Kids
- Yoga May Boost Aging Brains
- Yoga May Help Ease Depression
- As Many as 1 in 3 Experience New or Worse Pain With Yoga
- Take the (Exercise) Plunge
- Health Tip: Yoga Before Bed
- Take A New View of Yoga
- Yoga Soothes Back Pain in Study
- Americans Want to Be Fit, But Most Don't Put in the Effort
- Why Yoga, Tai Chi and Meditation Are Good for You
- Health Tip: Don't Take Stress to Bed
- Yoga, Meditation May Ease Some Breast Cancer Symptoms
- It's Yoga to the Rescue for Prostate Cancer Patients
- Exercise a Great Prescription to Help Older Hearts
- Hold That Pose: Yoga May Ease Tough Depression
- Exercise Helps Counter Cancer-Linked Fatigue
- Live Healthy, Live Longer
- Health Tip: Take Care of Yourself
- 5 Ways Women Can Cut Their Heart Attack Risk
- Try Drug-Free Options First for Low Back Pain, New Guidelines Say
- Low Back Pain? Relax, Breathe and Try Yoga
- Health Tip: Don't Be a Night Owl
- Exercise Rates Often Decline After Cancer Diagnosis
- 'Chemo Brain' Lasts for Months in Many Breast Cancer Survivors
- Serious Yoga Injuries, Though Rare, Are on the Rise
- Yoga Called Good Medicine for High Blood Pressure
- Friendly Competition on Social Media May Get You to the Gym
- Long Spaceflight Seems to Weaken Spinal Muscles
- Health Tip: Beginning Yoga
- Health Tip: Ease Stress If You Have Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Study: Yoga as Good as Physical Therapy for Back Pain
- Stress Might Undercut Benefits of Healthy Diet for Women
- Review Suggests Safe, Effective Ways to Relieve Pain Without Meds
- Alternative Medicine Taking Hold Among Americans: Report
- Mindfulness Meditation Seems to Soothe Breast Cancer Survivors
- Health Tip: Boost Your Mood
- Many Breast Cancer Patients Try Alternative Medicine First: Study
- Meditation May Sharpen Memory
- New Guidelines Issued on Breast, Genital Plastic Surgery for Teen Girls
- The Health Risks Posed by Mindless Munching
- Meditation May Help Ease Chronic Low Back Pain
- Health Tip: Get Stretching
- Why You Need Flexibility Exercises
- Yoga May Boost Quality of Life for Prostate Cancer Patients
- Gentle Yoga Safe in Late Pregnancy, Small Study Suggests
- Mindfulness Calms Nerves at School and Work
- Health Tip: Find Time to Stretch
- This Many Million Adults Say They're in Pain Daily
- How Safe Is Exercise for Those With Common Irregular Heartbeat?
- Health Tip: Sleep Better During Pregnancy
- Traumatic Life Events May Harm Women's Hearts, Study Suggests
- Childhood Self-Control Linked to Better Job Prospects Later in Life
- Yoga May Help Ease Depression in Pregnant Women
- Yoga Gaining in Popularity Among Americans
- Yoga May Cut Heart Disease Risk Factors
- Feeling 'Worn Out'? Your Heart May Pay the Price
- NYC Ebola Patient Passing Time in Isolation Playing Banjo: Reports
- Almost 1 in 5 Americans Plagued by Constant Pain, Survey Suggests
- New York, New Jersey to Quarantine All Travelers With Ebola Contacts
- Scoliosis: Daily Yoga Pose May Reduce Spinal Curve
- Health Tip: Relax Daily
- Adults Over 45 Not Meeting U.S. Muscle Strengthening Guidelines, Study Says
- Yoga May Not Help Ease Asthma, Study Suggests
- Yoga, Meditation May Help Dementia Patients and Caregivers Alike
- Exercise Could Help Disabled People, But Too Few Are Active: CDC
- Yoga Big on West Coast, Chiropractors Popular in Midwest
- Stronger Muscles May Mean Better Health for Kids
- Yoga May Help Breast Cancer Patients During Radiation Therapy
- Yoga May Reduce Fatigue, Inflammation in Breast Cancer Survivors
- Ease Into a Workout Program to Prevent Injuries
- Ease Up on Workouts to Aid Flu Recovery, Expert Says
- What Yoga Can and Can't Do for You
- Yoga More Than a Crutch for NYC Man Who Suffered Devastating Leg Injury
- Want to Stay Young? Start Moving
- Can Meditation Help Paralyzed People Sync Their Brains to Computers?
- Stress-Busting Tips From Experts
- Yoga Fails to Cool Hot Flashes, But May Aid Sleep
- Healthy Lifestyle May Reverse Cellular Aging, Study Suggests
- Health Tip: Don't Despair About Your Pregnant Body
- Singing Together Fosters Harmonious Hearts
- Yoga May Help Ease High Blood Pressure, Study Finds
- Creative Arts May Help Cancer Patients Cope
- Health Tip: Manage Menopause
- Health Tip: Keep Your Family Fit
- Yoga May Help With Common Heart Rhythm Disorder
- Physical Activity Boosts Brain Health
- Putting Your Mental Health in Order
- Meditation May Help Fight Loneliness, Study Says
- Yoga Improves Balance After Stroke
- Exercise, Meditation Can Beat Back Cold, Flu, Study Finds
- Runners May Live Longer
- Can Too Much Exercise Be Harmful?
- Optimism, Laughter May Bring Long Life
- Yoga May Improve Symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Exercise Plus Computer Time May Boost Seniors' Brains
- High Reps With Low Weights Builds Muscle, Too
- Avoid Getting Scorched by 'Hot Yoga'
- Knee Arthritis: Very Low-Calorie Diet May Help
- Increase in Resting Heart Rate Over Time Linked to Heart Disease Death
- Yoga Gets Women With Back Pain Moving: Study
- Yoga, Stretching Classes Outdo Self-Care for Back Pain: Study
- Breast Cancer Death Rates Decline
- Americans Are Flocking to Alternative Therapies
- Music and Laughter May Help Lower Blood Pressure
- Depression After Miscarriage Can Linger
- Therapy, Exercise Help Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine on the Rise
- Top 20 Fitness Trends for 2011
- Stress May Raise Risk of Premenstrual Syndrome
- 10 Ways to Manage Low Back Pain at Home
- Fibromyalgia and Diet
- Heart Attack Symptoms in Women
- Weight Loss and Nutrition Myths
- Blissing Out: 10 Relaxation Techniques To Reduce Stress On-the-Spot
- Cross Training: Get Stronger and Leaner
- Yoga for Weight Loss?
- Yoga: Science vs Myths
- Fitness Basics: Stretching Important to Fitness
- Yoga: The Many Styles of Om
- Pregnancy : Having a Baby? Think Yoga
- Yoga: Slim Bodies, Strong Minds
- Yoga for Men
- Yoga and Pilates: A Blend of Exercises
- Fitness: Stay Young With Yoga
- Yoga Finds New Twists in the U.S.
- Preparing for Parenthood With Yoga
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter