Patient Comments: Yeast Infection - Prevention

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting a yeast infection? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Jenn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

To me this should be standard knowledge, but my friend who was getting yeast infections didn't know about it. Women should not be sleeping with underwear on. It causes too much heat and bacteria collects. I always sleep with just pajamas, shorts or thin light pajama pants. I had a yeast infection when I was 14 and didn't have another problem until I started using a heating blanket. Another no-no as it caused too much heat allowing the bacteria to grow.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

Lots of people mention acidophilus. For those who don't know, it is a probiotic. It is one of the bacteria found in yogurt as well. We have lots of different bacteria in our vaginas that work together, but when the yeast out numbers the "good bacteria" that is when we get a yeast infection. If you are prone to yeast infections, you should regularly take probiotics to keep your inner environment balanced. Yogurt is good, but most of our yogurts contain so much sugar that they feed the yeast as well. You can get probiotics in pill form or powder to sprinkle in a cool drink or some unsweetened applesauce (like I do for my kids). Everyone in my house takes probiotics when we're on antibiotics. It's not only good for the balance in your vagina but in your guts and colon too. My kids have less diarrhea on antibiotics if they take probiotics at the same time!

Comment from: mendymae, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I take acidophilus on a daily basis and it keeps me from getting yeast infections. I had a horrible yeast infection once and my friend told me to take 4 acidophilus throughout the first day, 3 the second, and one every day after that and the day after I started taking them I felt much better! I haven't had one since. All it is a pro-biotic like in yogurt but in a capsule. Hope this helps.

Comment from: WrongMeds, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I was initially given an antibiotic for a UTI when I only had a sore throat because I had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic (which made my eye swell) I went to the ER and was prescribed the correct antibiotic four days later. I was taking the antibiotic another week and stopped eating yogurt. Now I have a yeast infection. My suggestion is that you eat lots of yogurt while on an antibiotic to prevent a yeast infection. Also drink more water than usual I found myself very thirsty. And the vaginal cream works as well as a bath with a shot or two of vinegar will help with the pH levels. I'm a nursing student I know my stuff!

Comment from: Cynthia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

At first I thought I was infected through my partner. But I went to see my doctor, and she explained me all the symptoms of yeast infection. I was taking birth control pills for 6 years, never thought I was going to get this. Plus the stress that I go through, so I stopped taking birth control pills and I try to manage my stress. I also was eating a lot of pasta, never thought that could happen to me. Me knowing that I had a yeast infection happened, like 5 months ago after two months it came again. I try to keep up with myself avoid all sugary foods.

Comment from: SydneyK, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

Taking pine cone extract daily not only has prevented yeast infections, but has strengthened my immune system to avoid colds as well.

Comment from: desperate in Ocala, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I'm still trying to find a solution. I've been plagued with a yeast infection that goes to a bacteria infection for the last 5 months. I've been on Diflucan, Monistat, and Flagel. Now I'm taking Pro Biotics and acidulous and still get yeast infections. I've even tried tea tree therapy,

Comment from: Cassie229, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I kept getting yeast infections over and over, between 2005 to the summer of 2007 non stop, no matter what I did. I got so many treatments to the point where my doctor thought I may be diabetic. Tons of tests where done and still nothing. Right after the summer of 2007 it stopped on it's own and I haven't gotten one yeast infection since. It turns out my ex-fiance was sleeping with a married coworker of his during that time period. Their affair ended in summer of 2007. While I kept getting treated, he kept bringing it home re-infecting me with her yeast infection. Of course I had no idea. So yes you can infect others with yeast infections, especially if a man is sleeping with two women and one of the women has it and doesn't get a treatment for it.

Comment from: jn9r, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 28

I use liquid pine cone extract. I kills the Candidis which is the bacteria that is the catalyst to the over growth of yeast.

Comment from: andreab, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I had been getting yeast infections quite consistently. I was too embarrassed at first to talk to anyone about it until two months ago as you can understand my frustration. My sister told me she had the same problem until she discovered pine cone extract. She hasn't had a yeast infection for two years since. I started taking the pine cone extract two months ago and so far so good.

Comment from: BABS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I find that when I use plastic applicator tampons, I get one every time. So I stick to cardboard. And it has to be Tampax. I just used the store brand tampons and got a yeast infection right after my period.

Comment from: Ann, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I had recurring yeast infections for years then my doctor finally asked me what kind of soap I was using down below. I told her Caress. She told me to switch to Ivory, which I did, and my infections stopped. I think the purpose of the Ivory was to have a soap free of dyes, perfumes and all the 'extras' in soaps these days. I still get an infection every few years but it's much better than every other month!

Comment from: frann, 35-44 Female Published: February 22

I have a really low immune system and because of this I always get a yeast infection. It happens every month. I was so tired of having them, that I went talk to my physician. He explained to me that a person with a low immune system like me should do this: make your bed late in the afternoon, not the morning hours, as this will allow your beddings to breathe. Do not use colored bathroom tissues, only use white, non-scented tissue. Also, wear white underwear. I have followed this to the letter and I am now 18 years without a yeast infection.

Comment from: Marose, 65-74 Female Published: April 05

I find if I have eaten too many sugar products it creates a yeast infection of some type. Sugar creates acid in your body

Comment from: Xochitle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I use Acidophilus daily for regular maintenance and eat a bit of yogurt to prevent yeast infections.

Comment from: pinkpanther406, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

My family doctor is more into taking preventative measures and finding more natural solutions to health problems. He told me that sugar feeds candida/yeast. I had a lot of candida in my blood when I first started visiting this doctor. I cut down on sodas and in general my sugar intake and my blood was much clearer about six months later. I have been drinking a ton of soda again lately and just found out I have a yeast infection. For me, there is a direct correlation.

Comment from: femiNINE, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I recently experienced a yeast infection and I took someone's advice from these posts and ate a clove of garlic. I also paired it with and herbal tea, black walnut powder and ginger root. I boiled for about 10 minutes and then took off of the heat and added red raspberry leaves too steep for about 5 to 10 minutes. That was at about 12am on June 3 2010 it is now 2:19p and the itch, irritation and burning has stopped.

Comment from: Sassy, 35-44 (Patient) Published: February 14

I had many years of continual yeast infections. The only way I found to keep the yeast away was to use a blow dryer to dry your vaginal region after every shower or especially baths. I've gone years now without any yeast infections just by keeping the area dry and void of moisture.

Comment from: MsBEEtruthful, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 20

I am a young woman with a good amount of stress. I have had several yeast infections over the years.I recently moved out on my own and have been eating a lot more pasta. Sure enough I got a yeast infection. Here are a few things you can do to help: eat less sweets (even juices) and carbs which turn into sugar. Try taking a bath with Epson salt and vinegar (about 1/2-1cup each), sit in the tub with your knees bent to let the mixture rinse the area. The salt will help the itching, burning feeling and the vinegar restores the PH level of your vagina. I read this in a home remedy book my grandmother gave me, it has worked for me in mild cases.

Comment from: Peaches, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I believe that yeast infections happen in women with high candida levels which are near impossible to get rid of but quite easy to lower, stay away from anything white in your diet, sugar, alcohol especially, pasta, anything that your body turns into sugar, you can get candida levels tested at a natropathic doctors office. I went to my natropathic doctor and I don't get them anymore unless I'm bad and eat sugar and drink beer or am under a lot of stress, stress is a big factor also!

Comment from: sydney25, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

This is the 2nd time that I've experienced having yeast infection. I'm 25 years old and the 1st time I experienced it was 5 months ago. My doctor said it was due to feminine wash and birth control pills. She prescribed Diflucan 150mg capsule and another one after a week, as well as canesten cream for 7days. It was effective and now I have it again because I took antibiotics because of sore throat, but this time it was less itchy. I'm planning to discontinue taking contraceptives.

Comment from: Judith, 19-24 Female Published: April 26

Yeast infection is what I've being suffering from and still have not gotten the solution and I need your help seriously. It started with stitches and discharge of creamy fluid and now it even has an odor, tried so many medicines but all to no avail.

Comment from: A, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

This is my second yeast infection. I've never had them until I started birth control. The first day my vagina feels irritated then it starts to itch so bad, usually worse at night. It also burns and burns when I pee. Yeast infections are terrible! The worst part is, I can't use over the counter medication because I get allergic reactions to them.

Comment from: ksclist, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

A good idea would be to try Dove sensitive soap. I thought I had a chronic yeast infection problem but I am so thankful to my Gyno that she pointed out that it may be the soap I was using and it was! It was not an infection the whole time. It was the soap that was irritating me.

Comment from: troubled me, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I am a 26 year old lady and I started getting yeast infection about 2 years ago. I used to have 2-3 episodes a year which went away after taking flucanazole, but now I got it 3 months ago and I still feel my vagina is not normal. I get thick discharge. Today I got stringy clear discharge but it had white clumpy small specks in it. I'm worried I am getting the infection again. I have remained abstinent for a while now, but I'm stressed a lot due to a job hunt. I keep getting thoughts that I may be HIV infected as I read online that repeated infections are an indication.

Comment from: kalliope_us, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

My yeast infections seem to be linked to my diet. I am a vegetarian, and I just ate chicken, and now I am paying for it. I also try to limit sugar.

Comment from: MKPUGH, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I was told by a much older person that instead of eating the yogurt, insert it directly into your vagina. At first I thought she was crazy, but I tried it, and now that is the only thing I use for yeast infections. You can get the cheap, off brand PLAIN yogurt and insert it twice a day. I would suggest wearing a panty liner, but within two days, my yeast infection was gone.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter