Patient Comments: Vaginal Yeast Infection - Home Remedies

What home remedies have you found effective in soothing symptoms of vaginal yeast infection? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: tea tree, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

Water soluble tea tree oil, 1 cap in your bath each night, in 3 nights the vaginal yeast infection should be gone depending on the severity. If it is very inflamed and itchy externally, soak a padded towel material in a basin with 5 drops of the oil mentioned above and position it against your affected area. Overnight works best. I have used this for years, doctors refuse to believe it works, but tea tree oil has anti-fungal properties (although science debates that point).

Comment from: Sunshine, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 02

Two home remedies I've found that works for me are yogurt (with no or very little sugar) and buttermilk. I take these at night, and my infection is better in just a day or two. Not cured, but better.

Comment from: tessa, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 12

Trust me women, this works. Try putting about a tablespoon plain yogurt inside you and wear a pad to sleep in. I had a vaginal yeast infection from a bubble bath and nothing worked. I bought plain yogurt, it was cold on contact, but instantly it worked. I had mine for a month, and it was horrible. Eating yogurt didn't help but this does, it stopped burning itching instantly, and I was fine the next morning. I did it again that morning and at night as I wanted to make sure, and then no more. It has been ten years and I haven't had one since then, good luck.

Comment from: Sickandtired, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

You basically have to remove anything with yeast or sugar from your diet to really kill off a vaginal yeast infection. That includes yogurt if it has sugar added. Try probiotic supplements.

Comment from: Needs help, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I have recurring yeast infections, and I don't enjoy sex anymore because it's very painful. I tried the pill, Diflucan, and I am taking Nature's Cure. It gives me relief, but it doesn't get rid of it. I tried yogurt and I still can't shake it. I have tried a lot of medicines and have spent money going back and forth to different doctors looking for a cure.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I have been using an herbal supplement made by Azo specifically to prevent yeast infections. It works for me. I would use the miconazole for when you have an active infection, but if you are prone to them, try the Azo Yeast.

Comment from: Tami, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I never had yeast infections before going on "the pill," but now I have them regularly. I take acidophilus every day, and it really helps. Also, if you take antibiotics, eat yogurt or take more acidophilus than usual when you're done taking the antibiotics.

Take the Yeast Infection Quiz