Vaginal yeast infections in women are caused by an organism called Candida albicans. Symptoms of a vaginal yeast infection include vaginal pain with urination, vaginal discharge, odor, and itching.
Treatment is generally OTC medications. A man can contract a yeast infection from his female sexual partner. Symptoms of a yeast infection in men include penile itching. Treatment is with oral or topical medication.Read more: Yeast Infection (in Women and Men) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Sex Quiz: Love & Relationships Facts
Relationships, sex, and love! Could it be that what motivates physical attraction in us may be all in our minds? Take the Sex &...
Yeast Infection Quiz: Symptoms & Treatment
How much do you know about vaginal yeast infections? Learn the causes, symptoms, and treatments of a yeast infection with the...
Digestive Health: 10 Probiotic Foods That Help Digestion
Probiotics are beneficial bacteria and yeasts found in probiotic foods and fermented products like kimchi, kombucha, and kefir....
Picture of Yeast Infections (Thrush in Babies)
Thrush is a yeast infection that causes white patches in the mouth and on the tongue. See a picture of Yeast Infection (Thrush)...
Picture of Vagina
The vagina is an elastic, muscular canal with a soft, flexible lining that provides lubrication and sensation. See a picture of...
Health Screening Tests Every Woman Needs
What is a health screening? Why is it important to know your blood pressure? How long will your health screening take? Learn...
10 Ways to Deal With Menopause Symptoms
Menopause can cause night sweats, hot flashes, mood swings, and relationship challenges. Learn how to manage these symptoms here....
Related Disease Conditions
Bacterial vaginosis is an abnormal vaginal condition with signs and symptoms of vaginal discharge, vaginal odor, and vaginal...
Vulvodynia or vaginal pain, genital pain is a condition in which women have chronic vulvar pain with no known cause. There are...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Normal vaginal bleeding (menorrhea) occurs through the process of menstruation. Abnormal vaginal bleeding in women who are...
Birth Control Options (Types and Side Effects)
Birth control is available in a variety of methods and types. The method of birth control varies from person to person, and their...
Is a Yeast Infection Contagious?
Yeast are a fungi that has many types. A type of yeast that can cause infection in humans is called Candida. Candida can infect...
Vaginitis (Inflammation of the Vagina)
Vaginitis refers to inflammation of the vagina. Vaginitis can be caused by infections, menopause, or poor hygiene. Symptoms of...
Pregnancy Planning (Tips)
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes...
Birth Control Pill vs. Shot (Depo-Provera): Similarities and Differences
Birth control pills (oral contraceptives) and the Depo-Provera shot are two hormonal methods of birth control. Both methods work...
Women's health is an important topic area to guide a woman through the stages of her life, as well as knowing the conditions and...
Antibiotic Resistance (Drug Resistance, Antimicrobial Resistance)
Drug resistance (antimicrobial resistance) is the ability of bacteria, fungi, parasites, and viruses to grow, even in the...
Sex and Menopause (What to Expect)
Menopause is often associated with a change in sexual functioning. Loss of estrogen, bladder control issues, anxiety, stress,...
Sexual health information including birth control, impotence, herpes, sexually transmitted diseases, staying healthy, women's...
Local ResourcesFind a local Obstetrician-Gynecologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Sex & Love FAQs
- Yeast Infection FAQs
- Is Yeast Vaginitis Related to Hay Fever?
- Can Vaginal Lubricants and Jellies Cause Vaginal Irritation?
- Is There a Diet That Can Control or Prevent Yeast Vaginitis?
- Can Yeast Infection Cause Low Back Pain?
- What Causes Yeast Infections (Vaginitis)?
- What Is Yeast Supposed to Look Like?
- Ask The Experts: Women's Health
Medications & Supplements
- Metronidazole: Topical (Metrogel, Metrocream, Metrogel Vaginal, and Others)
- Diflucan (fluconazole)
- clotrimazole, Lotrimin AF, Gyne-Lotrimin, Alevazol, Desenex, Pro-Ex Antifungal
- clindamycin, oral (Cleocin)
- Metronidazole vs. Miconazole
- nystatin (oral tablet and capsule)
- Metronidazole (Flagyl) vs. Fluconazole (Diflucan)
- miconazole, Monistat, M-Zole, Micatin
- terconazole, Terazol, Zazole
- Diflucan vs. Nystatin
- Metronidazole (Flagyl) vs. Clindamycin (Cleocin)
- tioconazole - vaginal, Vagistat-1
Prevention & Wellness
- Common Yeast Infection Treatment Tied to Miscarriage, Birth Defects
- Health Tip: Manage Dry Mouth
- Doctors Perform 1st U.S. Living-Donor Uterine Transplant
- Health Tip: Coping With Itchy Skin
- Drug for Yeast Infections May Raise Miscarriage Risk, FDA Warns
- Antifungal for Yeast Infections Tied to Miscarriage Risk
- Blood Test for Yeast Infections Approved
- Can You Skip Antibiotics for Urinary Tract Infection?
- Blood Test May Catch Deadly Fungal Infection Quickly
- Petroleum Jelly Tied to Vaginal Infection Risk in Study
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter