Wisdom teeth are the third set of molars that people get in their late teens or early twenties. Impacted wisdom teeth that only partially erupt allows for an opening for bacteria to enter around the tooth and cause an infection, which results in pain, swelling, jaw stiffness, and general illness. Before your wisdom teeth are pulled, the teeth and the surrounding tissue will be numbed with a local anesthetic. Recovery from wisdom tooth removal depends upon the difficulty of the extraction. Read more: Wisdom Teeth Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Dental Images of Cavities, Dry Sockets, Gingivitis
Learn about dental problems such as cavities, gum disease, bad breath, and oral cancer. Explore procedures such as root canals,...
Picture of Wisdom Teeth
Wisdom teeth are the third and final set of molars that most people get in their late teens or early twenties. The human jaw has...
Related Disease Conditions
A dry socket is a potential complication that can occur when a blood clot in the gums becomes dislodged after a tooth extraction....
An abscessed tooth is an infection within a tooth that has spread to the root. Symptoms of an abscessed tooth may include pain,...
Pericoronitis is inflammation of the gum tissue around the molars. Pericoronitis commonly occurs in teens or young people when...
Blood clots can occur in the venous and arterial vascular system. Blood clots can form in the heart, legs, arteries, veins,...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Gum disease is caused by plaque and may result in tooth loss without proper treatment. Symptoms and signs of gum disease...
The most common taste disorder is phantom taste perception; that is, a lingering, often unpleasant taste even though you have...
A toothache is a pain on or around a tooth. It may be caused by a variety of things from a cavity, abscess, or even sinusitis....
Braces and Retainers
Find out more about how orthodontic braces and retainers can provide proper alignment to crooked teeth. Get information about the...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Wisdom Teeth - Removal Complications
Please share your experience with wisdom teeth removal.Post View 13 Comments
Wisdom Teeth - Recovery
How was your recovery after wisdom teeth extraction?Post View 16 Comments
Wisdom Teeth - Pain
Did your wisdom teeth or removal of your wisdom teeth cause pain?Post View 12 Comments
Wisdom Teeth - Cost
Did your insurance cover the cost of wisdom tooth removal?Post View 4 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- codeine (for Pain)
- diazepam (Valium, Diastat, Acudial, Diastat Pediatric, Diazepam Intensol)
- cocaine hydrochloride
- lidocaine HCl injection, Xylocaine
Prevention & Wellness
- After Wisdom Tooth Removal, Watch Out for 'Dry Socket'
- Countless Opioid Pills Unused by Dental-Surgery Patients
- Health Tip: Why Wisdom Teeth Are Frequently Pulled
- Health Tip: Are Wisdom Teeth Causing Problems?
- Dental Anesthesia May Interrupt Wisdom Teeth Growth
- Health Tip: When It's Smart to Have Wisdom Teeth Removed
- Tiny Tots in the Dentist's Chair Among Changes in Pediatric Dentistry
- From One Generation to the Next, Dental Care Changes
- Health Tip: When It's Wise to Have Wisdom Teeth Removed
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter