You might be able to identify the cause of your pain by looking at your symptoms:
||Sprain or strain|
||Tendonitis or osteoarthritis|
||Peroneal nerve dysfunction|
||High arch foot|
When should you see a doctor for foot pain?
You should seek immediate medical attention if you pain in the top of your foot is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- Severe pain or swelling
- Open wounds or pus-filled wounds
- Signs of infection such as redness and warmth in the area or a fever above 100 F (37.8 C)
- Inability to walk or put weight on your foot
- History of diabetes and a nonhealing wound that is red, swollen, or warm to touch
Call your doctor if you notice the following symptoms:
- Persistent swelling that doesn’t resolve after home treatment for 2-5 days
- Persistent pain that doesn't improve after several weeks of treatment
- Burning, numbness, or tingling in the soles of your feet
How can you ease the pain on the top of your foot?
To ease the pain in the top of your foot, your physician may suggest the following remedies:
- Rest your foot or elevate it when possible
- Apply an ice pack wrapped in a towel or a bag of frozen peas to the affected area for 20 minutes every 2-3 hours
- Wear shoes with plenty of room for your feet and a low heel
- Use soft insoles or pads in your shoes
- Lose weight if you are overweight
- Try gentle stretching exercises for your foot and ankle
- Take acetaminophen for pain relief
How to prevent pain in the top of your foot
Pain on the top of your foot can be prevented with the following measures:
- Engage in regular exercise
- Always warmup and cooldown before and after exercise
- Slowly and gradually increase workout intensity
- Strengthen your muscles before engaging in sports or training
- Use proper form and posture for when performing workouts
- Pay attention to your body and stop if you feel pain
- Avoid any sports or other activities that trigger pain
- Wear shoes that fit properly and avoid high heels or tight footwear
- Do not walk or stand for prolonged periods of time
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top Why Does the Top of My Foot Hurt When I Walk Related Articles
Feet Facts QuizDid you know that certain shoes and common diseases can wreak havoc on your feet? If you've been having problems with your feet, this quiz is for you.
Reasons You Feel Burning in Your FeetThe feeling of burning in your feet isn't just an annoyance. It might also be a sign of a more serious condition. Find out more about what can make your feet burn.
Foot PainFoot pain may be caused by injuries (sprains, strains, bruises, and fractures), diseases (diabetes, Hansen disease, and gout), viruses, fungi, and bacteria (plantar warts and athlete's foot), or even ingrown toenails. Pain and tenderness may be accompanied by joint looseness, swelling, weakness, discoloration, and loss of function. Minor foot pain can usually be treated with rest, ice, compression, and elevation and OTC medications such as acetaminophen and ibuprofen. Severe pain should be treated by a medical professional.
Foot Pain SlideshowLearn about common causes of foot pain such as bunions, corns, athlete's foot, plantar warts and more. Get the latest information on treatments for foot pain.
How Do You Make Your Feet Stop Hurting While Working?Aching feet can result from wearing the wrong footwear, improper foot care, and excess weight gain. Learn 10 tips to relieve sore feet and how you can prevent them in the future.
What Could Pain on the Top of Your Foot Be?Pain on the top of your foot could result from physical activities, wearing tight shoes, or diseases such as arthritis or gout. Check out the center below for more medical references on foot pain, including multimedia (slideshows, images, and quizzes), related disease conditions, treatment and diagnosis, medications, and prevention or wellness.
What Do Swollen Feet Mean?Swollen feet are a common ailment that has many causes. Some are not a big deal and have mild symptoms, while others can be a sign of a serious medical condition. Learn about what swollen feet mean, the causes and symptoms, and how to treat it.
Feet & Your HealthFoot pain and heel pain can be signs of serious health problems. Discover information about cold feet, itchy feet, burning feet and swollen feet. Learn how psoriasis, lung problems, and diabetes can cause foot symptoms.
What Stops Feet From Hurting?The best strategy to cure your sore feet is to rest and recuperate appropriately. Additionally, wearing orthotics will provide support for your feet throughout the day.
Why Do High Heels Hurt My Feet?Wearing high heels may create several foot problems because the foot is positioned downward, resulting in tremendous pressure being applied to the plantar (bottom) region of the forefoot.
The Worst Shoes for Your FeetStilettos, platforms or flip-flops... which are the worst shoes for your feet? See how some of the hottest styles can be torture on your feet, learn how damage and foot pain can occur, and discover how to stop foot pain.