Whiplash is a common injury to a person's neck following a car accident (in most cases). Symptoms include:
- neck pain,
- neck and shoulder stiffness,
- shoulder pain,
- jaw pain,
- arm pain,
- weakness of the arm(s),
- visual disturbances, and
Diagnosis is generally with a physical exam, X-rays, or possibly an MRI. Treatment generally includes physical therapy and time.
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Related Disease Conditions
Shoulder and Neck Pain
Shoulder and neck pain may be caused by bursitis, a pinched nerve, whiplash, tendinitis, a herniated disc, or a rotator cuff...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Neck Pain (Cervical Pain)
Neck pain (cervical pain) may be caused by any number of disorders and diseases. Tenderness is another symptom of neck pain....
Occipital Neuralgia (Headache)
Occipital neuralgia is a type of headache that involves inflammation or irritation of occipital nerves. Signs and symptoms...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Second Source article from Government...
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to...
Pain management and treatment can be simple or complex, according to its cause. There are two basic types of pain, nociceptive...
Sprains and Strains
An injury to a ligament is called a sprain, and an injury to muscle or tendon is called a strain. Sprains and strains may be...
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
- aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid, Bayer, Ecotrin, and others)
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- hydrocodone/acetaminophen (Vicodin, Norco)
- cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril, Amrix, Fexmid)
- carisoprodol (Soma)
- hydrocodone and ibuprofen, Vicoprofen
Prevention & Wellness
Pain Management Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter