Although fruits are undoubtedly powerhouses of nutrients, many people tend to avoid them fearing their natural sugar content.
- Sugars are simple carbohydrates that are sweet to taste, which include sucrose (table sugar), fructose (also called fruit sugar), and glucose.
- Nonetheless, several fruits contain fewer sugars per unit weight and healthy fiber content that provide an ideal snacking option for weight-watchers, people on a keto diet, and those with diabetes.
15 low-sugar fruits
15 fruits that are low in sugar (contain on average less than 11 grams of sugar per 100 grams of the fruit) include
- (2.6 grams sugars and 3.9 grams total carbs per 100 grams)
- (6 grams sugars and 7.5 grams total carbs per 100 grams)
- (8 grams sugars and 8 grams total carbs per 100 grams)
- (8 grams sugars and 10 grams total carbs per 100 grams)
- (4.9 grams sugars and 8 grams total carbs per 100 grams)
- (0.7 grams sugars and 9 grams total carbs per 100 grams)
- (6 grams sugars and 9 grams total carbs per 100 grams)
- (8 grams sugars and total 9 grams total carbs per 100 grams)
- (2.5 grams sugar and 9 grams total carbs per 100 grams)
- (10 grams sugars and 11 grams total carbs per 100 grams)
- (10 grams sugars and 11 grams total carbs per 100 grams)
- (9 grams sugars and 12 grams total carbs per 100 grams)
- (4.4 grams sugars and 12 grams total carbs per 100 grams)
- Dragon fruits
- (7.6 grams sugars and 13 grams total carbs per 100 grams)
- (9 grams sugar and 15 grams total carbs per 100 grams)
7 fruits that are high in sugars
Some of the fruits that are known to contain a high amount of sugars include:
Although a distinction can be made between fruits based on their sugar content, it is the serving size that matters a lot.
Therefore, if you consume a hearty wedge of watermelon (300 grams) containing just six grams of sugars per 100 grams of the fruit, you may end up consuming about 20 grams of sugar. This is comparable to consuming a cup of cut mango pieces containing about 23 grams of sugar.
Hence, the key is moderation or having smaller servings. You will be able to enjoy your favorite fruits this way without any fear of spiking your sugar levels.
How many servings of fruits should you have in a day?
The American Heart Association recommends that one should have about five servings of fruits and vegetables a day. It further adds that the best combination is having two servings of fruits and three servings of vegetables a day.
One serving of fruit equals:
- One whole medium-size fruit such as peach, apple, banana, or orange.
- Half a cup of diced fresh, frozen, or canned fruits.
- One-fourth cup of dried fruits.
- One-fourth cup of fruit juice.
- One fresh apricot or half cup canned or five dried.
- One ounce of resins.
You must aim to consume various types of fruits and vegetables to obtain several nutrients and their health benefits.
Although a single serving of 100 percent juice can replace one of your recommended daily servings of fruits, it is always better to eat the fruit instead of having its juice. Fruits provide a lot of fiber and thus are good for your gut, heart, and general health. They are also more filling than juices with the same number of calories.
Avoid consuming fruits and juices with added sugars or salts.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top Which Fruits Have the Least Amount of Sugar Related Articles
What Are the Best Fruits for Lowering Blood Pressure?The best fruits for lowering blood pressure include citrus fruits, berries, bananas, pomegranates, prunes, and melons.
Diet and Nutrition: Fruit and Veggie Skins You Can EatAlthough we regularly peel many fruit and veggie skins, some are actually packed with nutrients. Check out these 11 fruits and vegetables with nutrient-dense skins.
Raw or Cooked? Get the Most Out of Fruits and VeggiesCertain cooking methods unlock more nutrients in fruits and vegetables. And, raw produce has its benefits. Here are some tips to get the most nutrition.
High-Fiber FoodsLearn about high-fiber foods. From fresh fruits to whole grains, these fiber-rich foods can lower cholesterol, prevent constipation, and improve digestion.
How Do You Eat a Star Fruit?Star fruits taste best when consumed ripe. Unripe star fruits may taste excessively sour and at times bitter. Once ripe, these fruits turn completely yellow with a hint of green at the edges; this is the best time to consume star fruit. You can enjoy having a star fruit by:
Is Jackfruit Bad for Humans?Jackfruit is an exotic fruit grown in tropical regions and native to the southern part of India. It’s available in other parts of the world, including the United States. Jackfruit is the largest tree fruit, reaching up to 35 kg in weight. Jackfruit has a dull green, spiky outer skin, which is not eaten, and the edible part of the fruit (the flesh or fruit pods) lies inside, which is light yellow in color and has a rubbery texture.
Exotic Fruits SlideshowExotic fruits like acai, guava, and papaya are loaded with vitamins and other nutrients. Learn when these exotic fruits are ripe, how to prepare them and what nutrition they offer.
What Does a Star Fruit Taste Like?Star fruit, also known as carambola or Averrhoa Starfruit, is widely distributed around the world but is more popular in tropical areas, such as India, Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Philippines.
What Does Jackfruit Meat Taste Like?Typical jackfruit meat consists of the unripe jackfruit pod. It is tasteless and it has a fibrous texture. Jackfruit meat takes on the flavor of the spices that it is cooked with.
What Fruits Should Diabetics Avoid?Managing diabetes successfully is about managing a combination of blood glucose levels. Diabetics do not have to avoid fruit, but they should adhere to sensible portion sizes and watch their overall carb intake.
Which Fruits Are High in Potassium?Potassium is an important mineral that plays a vital role in the body. Fruits that are high in potassium include bananas, cantaloupe, oranges, avocados, grapefruit, apricots, honeydew, guava and kiwi.
Which Fruits Have the Highest Protein?The recommended daily allowance of protein for adults is 0.36 grams per pound of bodyweight. The fruits that have the highest protein content include avocados and guava.