Low in calories but full of fiber, vitamins, and minerals, fruit can help you in your weight loss journey and boost your overall health. However, some fruits contain fewer calories than others while still being rich in important nutrients.
8 low calorie fruits
- Apples: A large apple contains 116 calories and 5.4 grams of fiber. Apples provide a good satiety effect that may reduce your hunger cravings for other foods during the day. An apple can fill your stomach three times more than a chocolate bar.
- Grapefruit: Half a grapefruit is filled with 39 calories and is a rich source of vitamin C.
- Blueberries: One cup (148 grams) of blueberries contains just 85 calories and is a good source of vitamins C and K.
- Strawberries: One cup (152 grams) of strawberries contains less than 50 calories and is a rich source of fiber, vitamin C, and manganese.
- Kiwi: One kiwi fruit (69 grams) contains only 42 calories and supplies you with an ample amount of vitamins C and E, folate, and fiber.
- Melons: One cup (152 grams) of watermelon contains only 46 calories. Low calorie content and high water content make melons a good snack option. Moreover, melons are rich in fiber, potassium, vitamin C, beta-carotene, and lycopene.
- Grapes: Loaded with water, one full cup of grapes is about 100 calories. The water content in grapes helps with satiety and keeps you hydrated, especially in warmer weather. Grapes are rich in vitamin K and manganese, along with polyphenols that help with cellular repair.
- Pomegranates: A single pomegranate contains 234 calories and has antioxidants and polyphenols that have numerous benefits for your skin and hair.
What are smart ways to include fruits in your diet?
Substitute high calorie foods
Although fruit is lower in calories than other foods, it doesn’t mean you can eat them along with other high calorie foods. You need to substitute high calorie foods with fruits to reap the benefits, including weight loss.
For example, you can substitute a bag of chips with a small apple or a cup of strawberries. This type of substitution will ensure you consume fewer calories but still feel full.
Avoid cooking fruits
Ideally, it’s best to eat fruits and vegetables in their raw form. You can even steam them or add spices and herbs to enhance their flavor. However, avoid adding sauces or frying them because these can add more calories and cause weight loss.
Eat whole fruit instead of fruit juices
The fiber content in the fruit is what makes you feel full. Fruit juices lack the fiber that whole fruits contain.
Eat canned or frozen fruits
If you cannot find fresh fruit, you can consider having them in their canned or frozen forms. However, make sure you read the labels and avoid the ones that have added sugars, syrups, creams, or anything that increases the calorie count.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top Which Fruits Have Fewer Calories Related Articles
Are Strawberries Good for Your Stomach?Strawberries are one of the most popular berries in America. They are rich in antioxidants and fibers that can help keep your tummy healthy. From the animal experiments conducted so far, strawberries seem to be good for your stomach.
Diet and Nutrition: Health Benefits of GrapesGrapes may be little, but they're big on nutrients. Find out how these fruits can give a boost to your health.
High-Sugar FruitsSugar content in fruit varies. High-sugar fruits include mangoes, pears, grapes, cherries, bananas, figs, and watermelon. Low-sugar fruits include avocados, guava, raspberries, cantaloupe, papayas, and strawberries.
Fat-Fighting FoodsLearn about fat-fighting foods such as grapefruit, hot peppers, vinegar, and more. Discover the benefits along with surprising facts about how they may fight fat.
Raw or Cooked? Get the Most Out of Fruits and VeggiesCertain cooking methods unlock more nutrients in fruits and vegetables. And, raw produce has its benefits. Here are some tips to get the most nutrition.
What Are the Nutritional Benefits of Eating Strawberries?Strawberries are chock full of vitamins. They contain Vitamin C, folate, potassium, antioxidants, manganese, and fiber, among other beneficial nutrients.
What Are the Benefits of Raspberries?Raspberries are edible fruits of a plant species in the genus Rubus. They are related to the rose family. They are one of the most popular berries in the world with their sweet-tart flavor and velvety texture. There are many types of raspberries, including black, purple and golden, but the red raspberry, or Rubus idaeus, is the most common.
What Fruits Should Diabetics Avoid?Managing diabetes successfully is about managing a combination of blood glucose levels. Diabetics do not have to avoid fruit, but they should adhere to sensible portion sizes and watch their overall carb intake.
Which Fruits Are High in Potassium?Potassium is an important mineral that plays a vital role in the body. Fruits that are high in potassium include bananas, cantaloupe, oranges, avocados, grapefruit, apricots, honeydew, guava and kiwi.
Which Fruits Have the Highest Protein?The recommended daily allowance of protein for adults is 0.36 grams per pound of bodyweight. The fruits that have the highest protein content include avocados and guava.