Flies reproduce quickly, are extremely difficult to catch, and can be a nuisance and vectors for diseases. Controlling flies can be very challenging. There are multiple ways to get rid of flies using commercial products and natural home remedies that are nontoxic and safe for the home and environment. Flies are naturally attracted to garbage, cut fruits, and other foods. Therefore, it is important to keep the home clean to get rid of flies and prevent fly infection.
Certain scents that can repel and keep flies away but are nontoxic and safe to be used indoors. These include:
- Mint, lavender, and marigold
- Lavender, eucalyptus, peppermint, and lemongrass essential oils
- Apple cider vinegar
The aforementioned scents can be used in the house by planting plants and using air fresheners, candles, essential oils, or diffusers.
Ways to get rid of flies
Some ways to get rid of flies are as follows:
- Homemade fly repellent spray: A mixture of dish soap, water, baking soda, and vinegar can be filled into a spray bottle. The mixture should contain a few drops of dish soap and a tablespoon each of vinegar and baking soda per cup of water. A few sprays of this mixture can be an effective fly repellent. They may be sprayed in areas where gnats are commonly seen, such as around plants and in bathrooms.
- Homemade fly killer spray: A mixture of half a cup of water, half a cup of isopropyl alcohol, and a teaspoon of dish liquid can be filled in a spray bottle. This mixture can be sprayed on the flies directly to kill them.
- Apple cider vinegar fly trap: A few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, a few drops of dish soap, and a tablespoon of sugar can be mixed in a bowl and placed in an area where flies are commonly seen such as the kitchen, bathroom, or indoor garden. Sugar and apple cider vinegar attract gnats; the dish soap traps the flies and causes them to drown.
- A fly fruit trap: A rotting fruit may be placed in a jar covered with a perforated plastic wrap. Flies get attracted to the rotten fruit, enter the jar, get stuck inside, and are unable to escape.
- Diluted bleach down the drains: If flies are commonly seen around the kitchen sink or bathtub, a cup of diluted bleach may be poured down the drains to kill them.
- A candle trap: A candle should be placed in a candle stand, and the stand should then be partially filled with water. The candle should be lit, and the lights should be turned off. Flies get attracted to the flame, get burned, or fall into the water and drown.
- Carnivorous plants: A carnivorous plant such as Venus flytrap uses its sweet-smelling sap to lure insects into its mouth. The plant traps and digests the flies. Carnivorous plants can catch only few bugs at a time and remain closed till they completely digest the bugs, which can take up to 5 days. Hence, they may not be effective enough to trap enough flies to get rid of or prevent fly infestation.
- Commercial repellents and killers: There are several commercial products available in stores that are effective in repelling and killing flies and other pests.
- Fly traps: Fly traps can help control flies with little effort. There are different types of fly traps. Depending on the type of fly traps, they may be installed, hung, or plugged in. Once the fly trap is set up, there is no effort required from your side, unlike having to spray insect repellents or using a flyswatter. Fly traps usually use sticky pads, electronic zappers, or traditional, old-fashioned funnels to trap and remove flies. Some fly traps may be reusable, whereas others may be disposable; they may be used indoors or outdoors. There are ready-to-use fly traps available in the market, or it is also possible to make homemade fly traps. There is no single best fly trap. There are different types, and the choice of fly traps depends on the concentration of flies, whether it’s for indoor or outdoor use, cost, and your preference.
- Professional pest control: If home remedies and commercial products fail and there is a serious fly infestation in the house, a professional pest control company can help address the problem by creating a customized treatment plan for the home.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top What Scent Will Keep Flies Away? Related Articles
Are Bedbugs Contagious?Bedbugs are brown wingless insects that feed on human blood. The are typically found around a person's sleeping area. Bedbugs feed a nighttime. A series of bedbug bites may appear like a rash. Eradicating a bedbug infestation will usually require the services of an exterminator.
Bed Bugs SlideshowWhat does a bedbug look like? Learn to ID bedbugs and bedbug bites. Get tips on how to prevent, treat, and get rid of bedbugs.
Bedbugs (Bed Bugs) vs. LiceBedbugs are small blood-sucking parasites that feed on mammals and birds. Some people do not have any symptoms of bedbug bites while others have them they include pain and reddish-colored skin lesions where the bite is. Bedbugs are found in temperate and tropical climates worldwide. Bedbugs usually feed every five to 10 days. Bedbug bites usually do not need treatment. Bedbug infestations are difficult to get rid of. Bedbugs are a problem worldwide, are resurging.
There are three types of lice, head, body, and pubic. Head lice is a grey-white animal about the size of a sesame seed and can be mistaken for dandruff. Head lice are transmitted from the body to other household items. They produce between seven to 10 eggs (nits) annually. Head lice is transferred from head-to-head contact. Body lice are slightly bigger than head lice and look like head lice. Body lice is transferred from human to other household items. Pubic lice or "crabs" is distinctly different from the head and body louse. Pubic lice in adults is transferred by direct sexual contact. Children and others get pubic lice via nonsexual transmission from their parents, relatives, and friends who share clothing. Lice bites are bluish in color sore that develop on different areas of the body. Condoms do not prevent from getting pubic lice. The different types of lice have different treatment. Lice can be eradicated from your home.
First Aid EssentialsAre you always prepared for a first aid crisis? See which basic first aid items to pack to treat minor scrapes, cuts, and stings when you're on the go.
Ticks vs. BedbugsBedbugs are parasites. Ticks are arthropods. Tick and bedbug bites are typically painless. Calamine lotion can be helpful with both bedbug and tick bites. Bedbugs typically do not spread disease, while tick bites may often transmit disease.
What Causes Bed Bugs?Bed bugs are blood-sucking insects. They usually survive on the blood of other creatures. Bed bugs live usually in the cracks and crevices of beds. When they sense that a person is asleep, they move towards them and feed on their blood. Bed bugs can also be found in sofas, mattresses, chairs, sheets, blankets, suitcases, cardboard boxes, cluttered areas, and other similar furniture items.
What Causes Fruit Flies and What Is the Fastest Way to Get Rid of Them?Fruit flies can potentially spread bacteria from surface to surface as they feed. They are attracted to ripe or overripe plants, especially fruits and vegetables. Once you have these pests in your house, they are hard to eliminate.
Where Do Bed Bugs Hide on Your Body?Bedbugs cannot live on your body. They may prefer to live near their host, not on them. Bed Bugs gravitate toward people who remain inactive (e.g. sleeping) long enough to provide a blood meal. As per research, they may stay or hide 5-20 feet away to feed blood. Once the blood-feeding is complete, bed bugs may usually retreat to their hiding spots to digest the blood.