As per a recent survey and analysis, research has confirmed that the Mediterranean diet is the number one diet.
As per a recent survey and analysis, research has confirmed that the Mediterranean diet is the number one diet. As per research, people living in countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea live longer and are at a low risk of cancer or cardiovascular ailments than other people. Research also suggests that the benefits of following a Mediterranean-style eating pattern may help in improved weight loss, better control of blood glucose (sugar) levels, and a reduced risk of depression, levels of inflammation (a risk factor for heart attack), stroke, and Alzheimer's disease. The Mediterranean diet focuses on the following:
- Olive oil rich in healthy omega-3 fatty acids
- Whole grains
- Fish (at least a couple of times a week)
- Flavorful herbs and spices
- Occasional poultry, eggs, red meat, and a glass of wine
- Cheese and yogurt in moderation
The Mediterranean diet is considered number one because of the below reasons:
- Short-term and long-term weight loss
- Effectiveness of cardiovascular disease prevention
- Effectiveness for preventing diabetes
- Ease of compliance
- Nutritional completeness
- Prevention of other health risks
As per research, average people living in countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea follow the below diet protocol:
- Breakfast: Smoked salmon or a slice of whole-grain toast with half of a mashed avocado
- Lunch: Gazpacho soup or a spiced lentil salad
- Dinner: Penne pasta with roasted cherry tomatoes, olives, capers, and pine nuts
Having a glass of wine in moderation is fine. Poultry, eggs, red meat, cheese, and yogurt may be added to the diet once a week. As part of the diet, one should enjoy food and wine in moderation and socializing with friends and family during meals as part of the prescription.
How do I follow the Mediterranean diet?
Below are a few tips to follow the Mediterranean diet:
- Switch to olive oil: Olive oil is rich in monounsaturated fatty acids, which may improve high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, which is a good type of cholesterol. HDL cholesterol removes bad low-density lipoprotein (LDL) particles out of the arteries. Olive oil may also be used on homemade salad dressings and finished dishes such as fish or chicken to boost flavor.
- Fish: Fatty fish such as salmon, sardines, and mackerel have good proteins and are rich in heart- and brain-healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
- Vegetables: A good way to eat veggies is to eat one serving at snack time such as crunching on bell pepper strips or throwing a handful of spinach into a smoothie and one at dinner. Aim for at least two servings per day. More is better. At least three servings can help to bust stress.
- Whole grains: A hot bowl of oatmeal is perfect for breakfast. Even popcorn is a whole grain without butter. Supplement intake with other whole-grain products such as whole-wheat bread and pasta is beneficial.
- Nuts: Almonds, cashews, or pistachios can make for a satisfying snack. They are lower in calories, added sugar, and sodium. They contain more fiber and minerals, such as potassium, than processed snack foods.
- Fruits as dessert: They are a good source of fiber, vitamin C, and antioxidants; fresh fruits are a healthy way to indulge a sweet tooth. It is a healthy snack when an individual is hungry.
- Wine: As per research, women should stick to a 3-ounce serving per day, and men should stick to 5-ounce serving per day.
Research emphasizes that following the number one diet or Mediterranean diet may give an individual stronger bones, a healthier heart, and longer life, along with a reduced risk of diabetes and high blood pressure. It can also prevent dementia and breast cancer.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top What Is the Number One Diet? Related Articles
Heart Healthy Diet: 25 Foods You Should EatWhat foods are heart healthy? Learn what foods help protect your cardiovascular system from heart attack, coronary heart disease, stroke, and cardiovascular disease. Plus, find easy meal recipes and menu ideas for more everyday heart benefit.
Nutrition QuizEven if you think you're getting enough fruits and vegetables per day, how can you be sure? Take the Diet & Nutrition Quiz to learn more about eating right.
Diet Mistakes SlideshowDiscover 10 common diet mistakes that may be preventing you from losing weight. Learn to avoid these diet blunders and watch the pounds disappear.
Best Diet Tips SlideshowLearn to lose weight in a realistic way that works. Find healthy weight loss by eating right, sleeping more, understanding portion sizes. Learn how to set reasonable diet standards.
Diet Pills, Weight Loss Drugs, SuppressantsMaintaining a healthy weight is important because being overweight or underweight may lead to various health issues. Body mass index or BMI is calculated by dividing a person’s weight in kilograms by the square of their height in meters.
Lose Weight No DietingGet surprising weight loss tips to help you slim down without starving or following a complicated diet. Lose weight without dieting.
Side Effects of Nutritional YeastNutritional yeast is deactivated yeast, meaning the yeast cells are killed while being processed and the inactive yeast is the final product. Nutritional yeast may cause digestive problems, migraines and facial flushing.
The 10 Best Diet PlansDiet means a reduction in calorie intake. For the optimal management of overweight and obese patients, a combination of diet, exercise, and behavioral modifications may be helpful. Weight loss is directly related to the difference between the individual’s energy intake and energy expenditure.
What Is Amaranth Good For?Amaranth is a plant with several benefits. The leaves and seeds of this plant are edible and provide various nutritional benefits. Both the seeds and leaves of the plant are gluten-free and rich in protein, fiber, minerals and other nutrients.