The core is a collection of muscles that stabilize, rotate and move the spine. A healthy core translates into a stronger lower back and better balance. Below are a few effective core exercises.
Dead bug: According to research, this exercise is the most effective and great for activating the core.
- It will help you develop control when contracting your core muscles.
- Your abs will contract and lengthen, but will remain under constant tension. It does require a little bit of coordination, but is simple to perform with a little bit of practice.
- Try three sets of six to 10 reps or whatever it takes to activate your core.
- Push your stomach into the floor to close the gap under your back.
- Extend one arm and leg straight out from the body.
- Bring your arm and leg back to the middle and repeat on the other side.
- Rest your body on your elbows and toes. Don’t let your hips sag or be too high. The goal should be to not give up for at least 60 seconds.
- They are great for core exercise routines.
- Lie on your right side with your legs straight.
- Prop yourself up with your right forearm so your body forms a diagonal line.
- Rest your left hand on your hip.
- Brace your abs and hold for 60 seconds, at least. Repeat on the other side.
Vertical leg crunches
- Take a mat and lie flat on the floor with your lower back pressed to the ground.
- Extend your legs straight up and place your hand behind your head.
- Now, try to move up toward your toes, crunching the stomach.
- Exhale as you contract upward and inhale as you return to the starting position.
- Lie on the mat face up with legs extended, toes pointed and hands tucked underneath glutes to support your lower back.
- Lift both legs off the floor by a few inches and alternately kick your legs up and down or in a crisscross motion.
- Sit on the floor with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor.
- Hold your arms straight out in front of the chest with palms facing down. Lean back so that your torso is at a 45-degree angle with the floor.
- Twist to the right as far as you can, pause, then reverse movement, and then twist to the left.
Hollow body hold and hang
- The hollow body hold is a back-friendly way to strengthen the core front.
- Start by lying flat on your back and then gently lift your legs off the floor while elevating your upper back and shoulders, hollowing your body out.
- Hold for about 20 to 30 seconds.
- The hollow body hang is similar to the hollow body hold except you are hanging from a bar with gravity working against your legs and your core is in a slightly different position.
- The act of hanging from a bar with the shoulders overhead, while also great for your shoulder stability and mobility, adds an extra degree of difficulty for the core as you work extra hard to prevent extension through the lower and middle back.
What are the benefits of core exercises?
Core workouts involve your torso training. Exercises for the core (body frame) muscles help strengthen the other ones, which provide spine fixation. This helps maintain beautiful posture and a healthy backbone. Below are few common benefits.
Equilibrium and stability improvement
- Core workouts train the muscles in your pelvis, lower back, hips and abdomen to work in harmony.
- This leads to better equilibrium and stability, whether on the playing field or in daily activities. Most sports and other physical activities depend on stable core muscles.
- Any exercise that involves the use of your abdominal and back muscles in a coordinated fashion counts as a core workout.
- For example, using free weights in a manner that involves maintaining a stable trunk can train and strengthen a lot of muscles, including your core muscles.
- Core workouts are necessary if you’re planning to go all-out to build a strong, ripped midsection.
- Although it takes aerobic activity to burn abdominal fat, core exercises can strengthen and tone the underlying muscles.
Simplified physical activity
- Strong core muscles make it easier to perform an array of activities, such as swing a golf club, get a glass from the top shelf and bend down to tie your shoes.
- Strong core muscles are also important for athletes, such as runners, because weak core muscles can lead to more fatigue, less endurance and injuries.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top What Is the Most Effective Core Exercise Related Articles
10 Exercises You Can Do in BedExercising in bed is an efficient way to get in your recommended dose of physical activity if you've got an especially demanding schedule or are tight on time.
Most Effective ExercisesThese seven exercises deliver fitness results at home or in the gym. Start your training to better physical health with the most effective exercises chosen by our experts.
8 Effective Exercises to Burn Stomach FatOne can lose stomach fat by adhering to a strict diet plan, exercise regime, and lifestyle modifications. It’s normal to want to get rid of stomach fat fast, but it is not possible to reduce fat. Hence, losing stomach fat requires a mix of various exercises such as resistance training or high-intensity aerobic exercise, along with a healthy diet, which help lose body weight, including stomach fat.
Flat Abs SlideshowHaving a flat stomach makes you look great and feel great. But how do you get the flat abs you dream of? Learn how with step-by-step instructions for performing the best abdominal exercises.
FitnessRegular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety. There are fitness programs that fit any age or lifestyle.
Exercise QuizTake our Exercise and Fitness Quiz and learn to maximize your fitness level with simple exercises that do not require major changes to your lifestyle.
No-Gym Home WorkoutLearn about this no-gym, at home quick workout. It can get you into great shape at home and shows the best moves for flat abs and total body fitness without costly fitness and exercise equipment.
What Are the Four Most Important Types of Exercises?Exercise is the key to a healthy life. When it comes to exercise, it does not mean only the strenuous ones and exercising at the gym. Exercise also includes stretching and balancing acts.
How Can I Burn 500 Calories in an Hour?Losing excess weight is challenging. Several activities can help you burn 500 calories or more in an hour including dancing, outdoor work, swimming, sports, bike riding, going to the gym, high-intensity interval training and working out using a punching bag.
How Do I Become a Kids Fitness Trainer?If you want to be a personal trainer for children, you need to be appropriately trained. This ensures the safety of the children you train.
12 Types of Plank ExercisesA plank exercise is a form of core strengthening exercise. This exercise strengthens the body muscles, maintain our posture, and support our spine. Some types of planks also help increase your endurance.
What Are the Best Abdominal Exercises?Abdominal exercises strengthen the core muscle groups, including the rectus abdominis, obliques, transversus abdominis, which wraps around the spine.
What Are the Best Exercises for Back Pain?When you are experiencing back pain, you may want to rest, but being active is good for the back. Exercising can strengthen the muscles of the back and those that support posture, as well as improve overall body health. Strengthening the muscles provides support to the spine and slowly reduces back pain.
What Is the Best Exercise for Back Pain?We are often a bit negligent toward our back while doing chores or physical exercise. While the causes for back pain may vary, regular exercise and maintaining a healthy weight are crucial for keeping the back healthy.
What Is the Best Time of Day to Exercise?Exercise is one of the best things you can do to boost the health of your body and mind. The best time of day to exercise is whenever is best for you.