Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic inflammatory disease characterized by pain and inflammation in joints, typically of the hands and feet. It is an autoimmune disease in which the immune system of the body attacks its own healthy cells, resulting in inflammation of the membrane lining the joints and damage to joint tissue. Read more: What Are the Four Stages of Rheumatoid Arthritis? Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
What Is Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)? Symptoms, Treatment, Diagnosis
What is rheumatoid arthritis (RA)? Learn about treatment, diagnosis, and the symptoms of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Discover...
Rheumatoid Arthritis Exercises: Joint-Friendly Workouts
Regular exercise boosts fitness and helps reverse joint stiffness for people with rheumatoid arthritis (RA). WebMD demonstrates...
Rheumatoid Arthritis Quiz: What is Rheumatoid Arthritis?
How is rheumatoid arthritis different from other forms of arthritis, such as osteoarthritis and gout? Take the Rheumatoid...
Famous Faces With Rheumatoid Arthritis
Learn more about the famous faces of rheumatoid arthritis such as Lucille Ball, Glenn Frey, and more.
Related Disease Conditions
Which Foods Make Arthritis Worse?
Certain foods can contribute to arthritis joint inflammation, like processed foods high in salt, alcohol, red meat and others. Foods that are good for the joints are beans, greens and other whole foods that have high fiber and nutrient content and low calories; these foods promote weight loss, which improves arthritis symptoms, and some may lower inflammation, generally.
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflammation of the joints, the tissue around the joints, as well as other organs in the body. Because it can affect multiple other organs of the body, rheumatoid arthritis is referred to as a systemic illness and is sometimes called rheumatoid disease. The 16 characteristic early RA signs and symptoms include the following. Anemia Both sides of the body affected (symmetric) Depression Fatigue Fever Joint deformity Joint pain Joint redness Joint stiffness Joint swelling Joint tenderness Joint warmth Limping Loss of joint function Loss of joint range of motion Many joints affected (polyarthritis)
16 Early Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Symptoms and Signs
Early RA symptoms and signs vary differently from person to person. The most common body parts that are initially affected by RA include the small joints of the hands, wrists, and feet, and the knees and hip joints. Joint inflammation causes stiffness. Warmth, redness, and pain may vary in degree.
14 Early Signs of Arthritis in the Legs
Leg arthritis affects the joints of the hips, knees, ankles or feet. The early signs and symptoms of arthritis in the legs include pain, swelling, stiffness, decreased range of motion, trouble walking, fever, bump-like swelling and other symptoms.
Rheumatoid Arthritis vs. Fibromyalgia
Though rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and fibromyalgia have similar symptoms, RA is an autoimmune disease and fibromyalgia is a chronic pain syndrome. RA symptoms include joint redness, swelling, and pain that lasts more than six weeks. Fibromyalgia symptoms include widespread pain, tingling feet or hands, depression, and bowel irritability. Home remedies for both include stress reduction, exercise, and getting enough sleep.
Pain Management and Rheumatoid Arthritis
Second Source article from WebMD
Second Source article from Government
12 Early Signs of Arthritis in Hands
Hand arthritis occurs when there is inflammation in one or more joints of the hand and wrist. A few of the common types of arthritis that affect the hands are osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, post-traumatic arthritis (arthritis as a result of an injury), psoriatic arthritis and gout.
11 Home Remedies for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a long-term disorder that progressively affects many parts of the body. Home remedies, diet, and lifestyle changes can help reduce pain and discomfort associated with RA alongside medical treatment. Home remedies alone cannot effectively treat RA or prevent the progression of the disease.
Rheumatoid Arthritis vs. Arthritis
Arthritis is a general term used to describe joint disease. Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a type of arthritis in which the body’s immune system mistakenly attacks the joints, causing chronic inflammation.
What Foods Cause Joint Pain?
With arthritis, the constant pain and stiffness often lead the body to be in a state of stress or "inflammation." Foods that cause joint pain include heavily processed foods, red meat, foods high in sugar, fried foods, alcohol and foods rich in MSG, refined carbohydrates, gluten and purines.
17 Early Signs of Arthritis in the Back
Arthritis in the back arises due to the inflammation of facet joints in the spine or sacroiliac joints between the spine and the pelvis. Some of the early signs of arthritis in the back include back pain, stiffness, swelling, bone grinding, loss of flexibility, fatigue, muscle spasms and other symptoms.
Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis (JRA)
Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis (JRA) annually affects one child in every thousand. There are six types of JRA. Treatment of juvenile arthritis depends upon the type the child has and should focus on treating the symptoms that manifest.
Can Rheumatoid Arthritis Be Caused by Stress?
Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic inflammatory joint condition and an autoimmune disease. At times, treatment can make rheumatoid arthritis symptoms (pain and swelling) disappear for a while. This symptom-free period is referred to as “remission.” A remission is followed by the reappearance of symptoms and this period is known as a flare-up. Research says that rheumatoid arthritis can be caused by stress.
Early Signs of Arthritis in the Fingers
The earliest signs of arthritis are pain, swelling and stiffness. If these symptoms are experienced in the fingers, it is likely because of rheumatoid arthritis. The signs and symptoms of arthritis in the fingers include popping sounds, joint deformity, warmth, mucus cysts and bone spurs.
Early Signs of Arthritis in Shoulder
Early signs and symptoms of arthritis in the shoulder include pain in the shoulder joint that's worse when lifting heavy objects, pain that radiates down the arm and shoulder joint sounds like grinding, clicking, and crackling.
Osteoarthritis vs. Rheumatoid Arthritis
Osteoarthritis (OA) and rheumatoid arthritis (RA) are chronic joint disorders. RA is also an autoimmune disease. OA and RA symptoms and signs include joint pain, warmth, and tenderness. Over-the-counter pain relievers treat both diseases. There are several prescription medications that treat RA.
Can You Live a Long Life With Rheumatoid Arthritis?
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a type of chronic inflammatory autoimmune disease. Yes, you can live a long life with rheumatoid arthritis (RA), although on average the disease has been found to shorten lifespan by a few years.
Early Signs of Arthritis in the Wrist
Wrist arthritis is inflammation (swelling) of one or more joints of the wrist. Wrist arthritis is long-lasting or permanent and eventually causes severe joint damage. The early signs of arthritis in the wrist include morning stiffness, redness, tenderness, pain, swelling, weakness, warmth and other symptoms.
Do Anti-Inflammatories Help Rheumatoid Arthritis?
Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic inflammatory disorder. Anti-inflammatory medications can help address symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis.
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Rheumatoid Arthritis vs. Lupus: Differences and Similarities
- What Is Total Knee Arthroplasty (TKA)?
- What Is an Ulnar Gutter Splint Used For?
- How Long Does It Take to Recover From a Triple Arthrodesis?
- What Is Volar Splinting?
- How Do You Release a Trapped Ulnar Nerve?
- What Is Ankle Arthrocentesis?
- What Is Tendon Transfer Surgery?
- What Is the Best Treatment for Arthritis?
- What Is the Treatment for Septic Arthritis?
- What Is an Osteochondral Grafting of Articular Cartilage Injuries?
- When Is a Thumb Injection Needed?
- What Is a Medial Epicondyle Injection For?
- Why Is Wrist Arthrocentesis Performed?
- What Is an Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty?
- What Is Joint Aspiration (Arthrocentesis)?
- What Is Elbow Arthrocentesis?
- How Is Knee Arthrocentesis Performed?
- What Is Metacarpophalangeal Arthrocentesis?
- What Is a Metatarsophalangeal Arthrocentesis?
- What Is Hip Arthroscopy?
- Rheumatoid Arthritis FAQs
- Rheumatoid Arthritis vs. Osteoarthritis
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA): 17 Warning Signs of Serious Complications
- What if I get COVID-19 with Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: Questions for Your Doctor
- Rheumatoid Arthritis - 2001 National Meeting Reports
- Kineret (anakinra) for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Arava Approved For Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Perspectives:2002 National Meeting
- Treatment Update on Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Perspectives:2003 National Meeting
- Psoriasis, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis Share One Gene
- Rheumatoid Arthritis & Diabetes Gene (PTPN22)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Perspectives: 2004 National Meeting
- 5 Surprising Facts About Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Patient Story: Rheumatoid Arthritis and Pregnancy
- Smoking: A New Risk - Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Patient Story: Rheumatoid Arthritis Symptoms
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Joint Symptoms and Signs: What Do They Mean?
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: Which Patients Do Best?
- Ultrasound Imaging of Joints in Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
- Living With Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Is Inflammatory Arthritis the Same as Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- Can Milk Allergy Cause Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- What Are the Side Effects of Remicade for Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- Should You Avoid Drinking Soda with Rheumatoid Arthrits?
- Are Hidradenitis and Rheumatoid Arthritis Related?
- Does Lipitor Help Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- Will Rheumatoid Arthritis Nodules Go Away?
- What's the Rheumatoid Arthritis Prognosis?
- What Are Home Remedies for Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- Patient Story: Rheumatoid Arthritis Treatment
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: Living With a Chronic Disease
Medications & Supplements
- Avsola (infliximab-axxq)
- Types of Arthritis Medications
- Side Effects of Feldene (piroxicam)
- Duexis (ibuprofen and famotidine)
- Side Effects of Enbrel (etanercept)
- Vimovo (naproxen and esomeprazole magnesium)
- Side Effects of Rayos (prednisone)
- Sandimmune (cyclosporine)
- Triesence (triamcinolone acetonide)
- Side Effects of Depen (penicillamine)
Prevention & Wellness
- Body Temperature Higher in Patients With Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Newer Rheumatoid Arthritis Drug May Help Ease Tough-to-Treat Cases
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Treatment Doesn't Harm Lungs: Study
- Started Early, Drug Combo Eases Fatigue of Rheumatoid Arthritis: Study
- In Small Study, Rheumatoid Arthritis Drug Appears to Help COVID-19 Patients
- Taking Steroids for Rheumatoid Arthritis, IBD? Your Odds for Hypertension May Rise
- Rheumatoid Arthritis, Low Folate Levels Raise Heart Risks
- Study Probes Side Effects of Methotrexate, Used for Psoriasis, Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Study Spots Ties Between Rheumatoid Arthritis, Other Diseases
- Signs of Rheumatoid Arthritis Can Show Up Long Before Diagnosis
- Exercising With Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Health Tip: Managing Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Too Much or Too Little Weight May Worsen Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Drug That Eases Rheumatoid Arthritis Pain Won't Help 'Regular' Arthritis
- Menopause May Worsen Rheumatoid Arthritis Symptoms
- If Mom Has Rheumatoid Arthritis, Baby May Develop It, Too
- These Foods May Help Ease Rheumatoid Arthritis Pain
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Linked to Risk of COPD
- Certain Jobs Linked to Raised Risk of Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Fish Eaters Report Less Rheumatoid Arthritis Pain
- Early Treatment Equals Better Results for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Obesity May Make Rheumatoid Arthritis Tough to Spot, Track
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Drug May Not Ease Chronic Fatigue Syndrome After All
- Could a Germ Link Gum Disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis?