8 ideal drink options for people with gout
Gout is a condition that is associated with high levels of uric acid in the blood, which forms crystals that accumulate around the joints, leading to sudden and severe pain and swelling. People with gout have a high risk of kidney stones.
Some ideal drink options for people with gout include:
- Water: Drinking eight glasses of water a day is essential for people with gout since more water is needed to reduce swelling associated with the condition. Water lubricates the joints, preventing further symptoms, and flushes out uric acid from the body, preventing their crystal formation.
- Clear fluids: Broth or herbal teas (chamomile, lavender, green, and hibiscus purchased from trusted sources) are another way to increase fluid consumption in your diet. Thus, increasing fluid consumption is essential to counterattack gout symptoms.
- Coffee: Coffee may reduce uric acid in the body. Hence, people with gout should drink coffee with low-fat or skimmed milk and without sugar to prevent attacks. Drinking one to two cups of coffee should do the trick.
- Lemon water: A study has reported that lemon water or drinks high in vitamin C helps neutralize uric acid in the body. Squeezing two fresh lemons into two liters of water can help reduce uric acid levels in the body. Even orange juice can do wonders, but always have them in moderation.
- Fresh cherry juice: Fresh cherry juice has antioxidants called anthocyanins that are anti-inflammatory and reduce inflammation associated with gout. A study has reported that drinking cherry juice for two days results in a significant reduction in gout symptoms.
- Low-fat milk or skimmed milk: Drinking a glass of skimmed milk may reduce the amount of uric acid in the body. Hence, including skimmed milk or low-fat yogurt can lower the risk of gout attacks.
- Wine: In general, alcohol can exacerbate the symptoms of arthritis. Hence, a physician might ask you to moderate your alcohol consumption. However, if you still wish to drink alcohol, drinking wine seems to be the least offensive. Other types of alcohol are high in purines, thereby worsening gout symptoms.
- Green tea: Studies report that green tea moderately lowers uric acid levels in the blood. Its antioxidant properties may help fight inflammation associated with gout. However, more evidence is required to prove these claims. Drinking a glass of green tea may be beneficial overall.
What should be the meal plan for a person with gout?
Here’s a typical diet plan for a person with gout:
- Whole-grain, unsweetened cereal with skim or low-fat milk
- One cup fresh strawberry
- Roasted chicken breast slices (two ounces) on a whole-grain roll with mustard
- Mixed green salad with vegetables, one tablespoon nuts, and balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing
- Skim or low-fat milk or water
- Afternoon snack:
- One cup fresh cherry
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top What Is the Best Thing to Drink If You Have Gout Related Articles
Arthritis: 16 Bad Habits That Cause Joint PainBeing overweight, wearing uncomfortable shoes, or carrying a heavy purse can make joint pain and arthritis symptoms worse. Some bad habits increase inflammation and put you at risk of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Protect joints and muscles and prevent swelling and joint disorders by eliminating these joint problem bad habits.
Arthritis: Supplements for Joint PainCan supplements help relieve joint pain and swelling? Find out how certain compounds may aid your stiff, tender joints.
GoutBuildup of uric acid crystals in a joint causes gouty arthritis. Symptoms and signs include joint pain, swelling, heat, and redness, typically of a single joint. Gout may be treated with diet and lifestyle changes, as well as medication.
Gout PictureCondition characterized by abnormally elevated levels of uric acid in the blood, recurring attacks of joint inflammation (arthritis), deposits of hard lumps of uric acid in and around the joints, and decreased kidney function and kidney stones. See a picture of Gout and learn more about the health topic.
Gout SlideshowGout attacks (gouty arthritis) are caused by crystals of uric acid deposits. Learn about symptoms, causes, treatments and medication for this painful condition.
Gout QuizLearn what causes those painful crystals to form during a gout flare. Take the Gout Quiz to learn all about this painful arthritic condition.
How Do You Get Rid of Gout Pain Fast?Learn what medical treatments can help ease your gout symptoms and speed up your recovery.
Osteoarthritis QuizHow does osteoarthritis differ from other types of arthritis? Learn about osteoarthritis with this quiz.
PseudogoutPseudogout, a form of arthritis, results when deposits of crystals collect in and around the joints. Symptoms of pseudogout include pain, stiffness, warmth, and joint swelling of the knees, ankles, hips, shoulders, and/or wrists. Treatment for pseudogout aims to decrease inflammation through the use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, ice, and rest.
RA QuizHow is rheumatoid arthritis different from other forms of arthritis, such as osteoarthritis and gout? Take the Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Quiz to rest your RA IQ.
Rheumatoid Arthritis: RA Food Myths and FactsIs there really an RA diet? Learn the truth from WebMD about which foods can ease your symptoms and which you should avoid.
Steroids: for the Treatment of ArthritisSteroids decrease inflammation and may be used to treat many inflammatory conditions and diseases, such as systemic vasculitis, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and Sjögren's syndrome. Steroids are injected, rather than administered orally, to deliver a high dose of medication to a specific area. Side effects of steroid injections include infection, tendon rupture, skin discoloration, allergic reaction, and weakening of bone, ligaments, and tendons.
What Are the Four Stages of Osteoarthritis?The four stages of osteoarthritis (OA) have been graded on the basis of X-ray findings. Higher grades indicate more severe signs of OA and the need for surgery. Grade 0 is the stage when the joint is healthy, Grade 1 is doubtful narrowing of the joint space with possible bone spurs, Grade 2 is the definite bone spurs with possible reduced joint space, Grade 3 is definite moderate joint space narrowing (at least 50%), and Grade 4 is the most severe stage.
What Is the Best Treatment for Arthritis?Arthritis refers to the inflammation of the joints. It presents as pain and swelling of the joints in the body. Painkillers, along with physical therapy, is usually considered the best treatment for arthritis in the early stages. Natural remedies and medications may also be used to treat arthritis, while surgery for arthritis is an option when a patient can't resume normal activities.
What Is the Best Treatment for Osteoarthritis?The best treatment for osteoarthritis (OA) varies from person to person. Most often, a combination of various therapies gives the best results. These therapies include physical measures, drug therapy, surgery, and supplements.
What Is the Fastest Way to Get Rid of Gout?Gout is a common and complex type of arthritis that can affect anyone, but it is most commonly observed in men. It’s characterized by sudden flares of joint pain, swelling, redness, and tenderness in the joints, often at the base of the big toe. Gout symptoms may come and go, but there are ways to manage symptoms and prevent flares.
What Is the Treatment for Septic Arthritis?Surgical drainage of the septic joint is the treatment for septic arthritis. Drainage method includes removing infectious discharge via needle aspiration, tidal irrigation (repeated distention and irrigation of the joint with saline under local anesthesia through a needle), arthroscopy, and arthrotomy (creating an opening in the joint that is used for drainage).
Which Foods Make Arthritis Worse?Certain foods can contribute to arthritis joint inflammation, like processed foods high in salt, alcohol, red meat and others. Foods that are good for the joints are beans, greens and other whole foods that have high fiber and nutrient content and low calories; these foods promote weight loss, which improves arthritis symptoms, and some may lower inflammation, generally.