Flies are the tiny, little, disgusting creatures that keep invading our personal space from time to time. Flies also pose a risk of many health hazards. Summers are the time when the battle of flies heats up. Apart from wiping the counters or tabletop and storing food in air-tight containers, you may also try these natural hacks to keep the flies away:
- Basil and other herbs: The basil you use in your pizza sauce is a great pest repeller. Planting basil plants in and around the kitchen keeps the flies away. You can make an insect repellent spray by
- Adding 4 ounces of boiling water and 4-6 ounces of basil leaves.
- Squeezing the leaves into the mixture after the leaves have absorbed all the moisture.
- Pouring 4 ounces of supercheap vodka into the basil–water mixture.
- Storing in the fridge and spraying when necessary.
- Lavender may also be used to repel fleas and flies. Tie a few bouquets of lavender and place them around the house.
- Flytraps: Flytraps should be placed correctly both indoors and outdoors. Traps can be baited with molasses, sugar, fruit, or meat to entice them into the trap. Venus Flytrap is a carnivorous plant that eats insects. If you plant them outside the home, they will naturally eat flies.
- Flypaper: Flypaper uses a paper coated with a substance that has an alluring fragrance for the flies. Due to its stickiness, the fly or bugs going near the flypaper gets trapped. Flypaper can be hung from walls, windows, and ceilings.
- Vinegar: Vinegar is a common household substance. If you are averse to the idea of spraying harmful chemicals, then try using vinegar as a fly repellent. You can make a vinegar trap by
- Pouring about 1 inch of apple cider vinegar into a tall glass jar and mixing few drops of dish soap.
- Covering the top with a piece of plastic wrap and securing with a rubber band.
- Poking a few holes in the wrap.
- Ensuring that the holes are large enough for the flies to enter the trap; flies get attracted to the strong smell of vinegar and gets trapped.
- Reviving your trap every few days.
What are the preventive methods to get rid of flies?
Flies are attracted to materials where they can lay their eggs. This includes:
- Animal feces
- Rotting material, including food waste and other garbage
- Bright light
Hence, it is important to eliminate these things from our house. Some of the other preventive measures to keep flies at bay include:
- Use garbage cans with tight-fitting lids and without holes
- Store food in airtight containers
- Wash the garbage cans more often
- Throw away food and leftovers in plastic trash bags and tie them right away
- Avoid leaving dirty dishes or glasses out on the counter
- Turn off or limit the use of lights at night
- Ensure that the windows, house vents, and doors are sealed completely
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top What Is the Best Home Remedy to Get Rid of Flies? Related Articles
Are Bedbugs Contagious?Bedbugs are brown wingless insects that feed on human blood. The are typically found around a person's sleeping area. Bedbugs feed a nighttime. A series of bedbug bites may appear like a rash. Eradicating a bedbug infestation will usually require the services of an exterminator.
Bad Bugs: Identify Insects and Bug BitesWhat do bug bites look like? How do you treat bug bites? Why do bug bites burn? See spider bite pictures and learn how to identify bug bites from mosquitoes, bees, bed bugs, wasps, and more. See what their bites & stings look like and how to treat bug bites. For more details, enter a search for the specific insects or bugs as this slideshow is a brief introduction to the topic.
Bed Bugs BitesBed bugs (from the insect family Cimicidae) are small, reddish-brown tick-like insects that feed by sucking the blood of mammals. They are often found in poorly sanitized areas or in crowded living quarters.
Bed Bugs QuizThat unexplained itching could be caused by bedbugs. Take the Bedbugs Quiz to learn the causes and symptoms of a bedbug infestation.
Bedbugs (Bed Bugs) vs. LiceBedbugs are small blood-sucking parasites that feed on mammals and birds. Some people do not have any symptoms of bedbug bites while others have them they include pain and reddish-colored skin lesions where the bite is. Bedbugs are found in temperate and tropical climates worldwide. Bedbugs usually feed every five to 10 days. Bedbug bites usually do not need treatment. Bedbug infestations are difficult to get rid of. Bedbugs are a problem worldwide, are resurging.
There are three types of lice, head, body, and pubic. Head lice is a grey-white animal about the size of a sesame seed and can be mistaken for dandruff. Head lice are transmitted from the body to other household items. They produce between seven to 10 eggs (nits) annually. Head lice is transferred from head-to-head contact. Body lice are slightly bigger than head lice and look like head lice. Body lice is transferred from human to other household items. Pubic lice or "crabs" is distinctly different from the head and body louse. Pubic lice in adults is transferred by direct sexual contact. Children and others get pubic lice via nonsexual transmission from their parents, relatives, and friends who share clothing. Lice bites are bluish in color sore that develop on different areas of the body. Condoms do not prevent from getting pubic lice. The different types of lice have different treatment. Lice can be eradicated from your home.
Bug Bites and StingsBug bites and stings have been known to transmit insect-borne illnesses such as West Nile virus, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, and Lyme disease. Though most reactions to insect bites and stings are mild, some reactions may be life-threatening. Preventing bug bites and stings with insect repellant, wearing the proper protective attire, and not wearing heavily scented perfumes when in grassy, wooded, and brushy areas is key.
First Aid EssentialsAre you always prepared for a first aid crisis? See which basic first aid items to pack to treat minor scrapes, cuts, and stings when you're on the go.
Ticks vs. BedbugsBedbugs are parasites. Ticks are arthropods. Tick and bedbug bites are typically painless. Calamine lotion can be helpful with both bedbug and tick bites. Bedbugs typically do not spread disease, while tick bites may often transmit disease.
What Causes Fruit Flies and What Is the Fastest Way to Get Rid of Them?Fruit flies can potentially spread bacteria from surface to surface as they feed. They are attracted to ripe or overripe plants, especially fruits and vegetables. Once you have these pests in your house, they are hard to eliminate.