During the recovery phase after exercise, your body uses oxygen and calories to repair muscles and replenish stores of oxygen and adenosine triphosphate (ATP or cell energy currency). This is what causes the afterburn effect, which is a beneficial phenomenon that aids in weight loss and helps build muscles.
How many calories you burn during the afterburn depends on the following factors:
- Intensity of your workout: A highly intense workout tends to burn more calories during and after the workout.
- Duration of your workout: Performing more exercises in a short time tends to have a greater afterburn effect than a steady-state workout.
- Weight: Overweight and obese people tend to have a lower afterburn effect.
- Fitness level: Fit people tend to have a sustained afterburn effect.
- Muscle mass: People with more muscle mass have a greater afterburn effect as compared to people with less muscle mass.
What workouts give you the afterburn effect?
However, high-intensity interval training (HIIT), such as Tabata and speed drills, give you an even greater afterburn effect. HIIT workout consists of several high-intense exercises performed with short resting periods between each one.
How to recover from workouts that result in significant afterburn
Significant afterburn can make you feel tired, which can subsequently make you feel less motivated to work out again. Here’s how to ensure a speedy recovery from a highly intense workout:
- Hot and cold treatments: Getting heat treatments through sauna baths or hot tubs helps improve blood circulation and repair muscles. Another alternative is to use cold treatment using ice packs or ice baths. Post-workout cold treatments can help soothe inflamed muscles.
- Nutrition: Have a drink or snack that has a carbohydrate and protein ratio of 3:1 or 4:1 within 30-45 minutes of your workout. This boosts your energy and prepares you for the next day's workout.
- Massage: Use foam rolls, a massage stick, or even a tennis ball to apply appropriate pressure to the muscle tissue and improve circulation circulation. Even getting a massage from a massage therapist can help.
- Sleep: Some of the substances your body needs for tissue repair are produced during deep sleep. Getting a good night's sleep after the high-intensity workout ensures a speedy post-workout recovery.
- Alternating your workouts: You can alternate high-intensity workouts with moderate or low-intensity exercises every few days. You can also build up the intensity of your exercises gradually until you reach your goal. For example, if you want to eventually be able to run 5 miles a day, you can initially start with running one mile, then slowly add half a mile each day until you reach 5 miles.
- Compression clothing: Wearing tightly fitted clothing (compression clothing) during your workouts can improve blood circulation to the muscles and help rebuild muscles faster afterwards.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
McCall P. Know Your Recovery Strategies. The American Council on Exercise. https://www.acefitness.org/education-and-resources/lifestyle/blog/3628/know-your-recovery-strategies/
Knab AM, Shanely RA, Corbin KD, et al. A 45-Minute Vigorous Exercise Bout Increases Metabolic Rate for 14 Hours. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011 Sep;43(9):1643-8. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21311363/
Top What Is the Afterburn Effect Related Articles
7-Minute WorkoutThe 7-minute workout provides a free, convenient way to get and stay fit. Discover these short, quick exercises that use your own body weight to help you get back into shape.
8 Effective Exercises to Burn Stomach FatOne can lose stomach fat by adhering to a strict diet plan, exercise regime, and lifestyle modifications. It’s normal to want to get rid of stomach fat fast, but it is not possible to reduce fat. Hence, losing stomach fat requires a mix of various exercises such as resistance training or high-intensity aerobic exercise, along with a healthy diet, which help lose body weight, including stomach fat.
Can I Do a Full-body Workout Every Day?A full-body workout means many groups of muscles are working at once. This helps to achieve greater workout results from a lesser number of exercises.
Exercise QuizTake our Exercise and Fitness Quiz and learn to maximize your fitness level with simple exercises that do not require major changes to your lifestyle.
Fitness and Exercise: Best Exercises for Weight LossIf you’re trying to lose weight, some exercises might be better than others. Check out these 11 choices you can put in your workout routine.
Cardio Exercise: Good for More Than Your HeartYou might have guessed that cardio, or aerobic, exercise helps to strengthen your heart. But did you know it's good for your health in lots of other ways, too? Learn about the hidden benefits.
Fitness: Exercises for a Healthy HeartRegular exercise can help reduce the risk of heart disease. To achieve maximum benefits, do a mix of stretching exercises, aerobic activity, and strengthening exercise. Aim to get 20 to 30 minutes of aerobic exercise at least three to four times a week. Consult a doctor before exercising for the first time, especially if you have health problems.
What Are the Four Most Important Types of Exercises?Exercise is the key to a healthy life. When it comes to exercise, it does not mean only the strenuous ones and exercising at the gym. Exercise also includes stretching and balancing acts.
What Is a Tabata Workout?Tabata is a high-intensity workout protocol that has both fitness and weight-loss benefits. It is also a very short workout. It is a combination of CrossFit and circuit training. The training is named after the Japanese physician and researcher Dr. Izumi Tabata who invented it.