Microblading is a semi-permanent tattoo technique that creates the illusion of fuller brows. In this process, mineral-based pigments such as iron oxide and titanium dioxide are deposited underneath the first two layers of the patient’s skin. It is also known as micro-stroking, micro-pigmentation, eyebrow embroidery, or three-dimensional (3D)-eyebrows.
The pigments implanted in this process are safe, non-reactive substances and specifically manufactured for implantation into the human skin.
A tattoo machine is not used in this procedure, rather a single blade tool that looks like a pen is used to draw gentle strokes. This creates fuller brows and fills areas that the patient might have overplucked.
How long does it last?
The pigment fades away over the next 8-10 months making it a semipermanent procedure. Once the patient notices that the pigments from their eyebrows have begun to noticeably fade, they will need to go back to their cosmetologist for touch-up application.
During the touch-up, the cosmetologist may address color and pigment loss. They can also discuss if the patient would like any changes in the shape and color of their brows.
After the touch-up, their brows will last for 6-9 months or sometimes a year depending on their skin type and preferred look. The patient will only need an annual touch-up to refresh the color of their brows. The color of their makeup is semipermanent. Therefore, it will require some maintenance.
The duration of fading of the patient’s eyebrow color depends on
What to expect after the procedure?
Immediately after the microblading procedure, the patient’s eyebrows may appear to be too dark or too thick or even look unnatural. Within 1 or 2 weeks, the color of their eyebrows will begin to fade, and they may appear more natural. After around 6-8 weeks, the color may get too faint or light. It means that the patient needs a touch-up session. During a touch-up session, the therapist will adjust or correct the color that faded. The patient will lose on an average 20-40% of their initial color.
What things should be avoided before and after microblading?
Before going for microblading, the patient must avoid:
- Botox treatment at least 3 weeks before and 4 weeks after the procedure.
- Chemical peeling procedure on the face 60 days prior and after this procedure, otherwise their brows will peel quicker due to chemicals traveling under the skin.
- Waxing or tinting 3 days before.
- Make-up on the day of the procedure and after the procedure for a week.
- Picking, scabbing, tubbing, or itching their eyebrows.
- Saunas and swimming until the area is properly healed.
- Retinol (Retin-A) or anti-aging treatments or acne creams or serums that contain acids for at least 7 days before this procedure, otherwise their brows will fade away prematurely.
- Tanning and sun exposure of the face on the day of this procedure.
- Consumption of aspirin, niacin, vitamin E, fish oil, primrose oil, CoQ10, and ibuprofen at least 48 hours before this procedure.
- Heavy workout or sweat on the day of the procedure or 2 weeks before the procedure.
What are the side effects of microblading?
The patient may get the following side effects after microblading:
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top What Is Microblading and How Long Does It Last? Related Articles
Perfect Brows & LashesLearn how to get better eyebrows and eyelashes. See how to maintain perfectly shaped brows and achieve longer lashes with these beauty tips.
Before You Tattoo: Types, Safety, and RemovalGet the scoop on tattoo safety, tattoo risks, tattoo care, and what to expect from tattoo removal.
Tattoo RemovalLaser tattoo removal has minimal side effects. Lasers break up the pigment of the tattoo with a high-intensity light beam. During the procedure, the patient wears protective eye shields and may be giving anesthesia. The pulse of the laser feels like the snapping of a rubber band against the skin. Possible side effects include a risk of infection, hypopigmentation, and hyperpigmentation.
What does microblading for eyebrows cost?Your eyebrows play a major role in defining and enhancing your facial features. Microblading is a kind of semi-permanent tattooing for your eyebrows. Microblading is an expensive procedure that costs between $500 and $2,000 per session.