- What Is Libido
- Male Enhancement Pills
- Testosterone Boosters
Libido in a man is his sex drive, influenced by the symbiotic relationship between hormones and neurotransmitters—testosterone, dopamine, serotonin, and glutamate.
- Testosterone: Testosterone is a sex hormone produced in the gonads and adrenal glands. While testosterone plays a role in muscle strength and mass, facial and body hair, and sperm production, it is also involved in libido, vitality, bone density, fat distribution, and red blood cell production. Imbalances in this hormone can result in decreased libido.
- Dopamine: Dopamine is involved in emotion, motor control, focus, memory, and feelings of pleasure. Dopamine imbalance can contribute to cravings, low mood, loss of muscle control, and difficulty focusing.
- Serotonin: Serotonin, which is thought to be an inhibitory neurotransmitter, affects mood, the sleep-wake cycle, and impulse control. As a result, low levels are linked to anger, sleep problems, mood problems, cravings, aches, and low libido.
- Glutamate: Glutamate is the brain's primary excitatory neurotransmitter. Too much of it can be harmful due to its stimulating effect on the nervous system, leading to anxiety, stress, and depression. Low levels, however, have been linked to fatigue and poor brain function.
What causes low libido in men?
|Erection||Enhance||Enhance or inhibit||Enhance|
For optimal sexual performance, there must be adequate and balanced levels of testosterone and neurotransmitters.
What are symptoms of low testosterone levels?
Declining levels of testosterone can lead to the following symptoms:
- Low sex drive
- Difficulty maintaining an erection
- Bone loss
- Muscle loss
- Weight gain
- Mood disorders, such as anxiety and depression
How is low libido in men treated?
Licensed treatments for male libido work by increasing blood flow to the penis, making it easier to achieve and maintain erections (for treatment of erectile dysfunction) and lasting longer before orgasm (for treatment of premature ejaculation).
Commonly used male enhancement drugs include:
- VIAGRA® (sildenafil)
- Adcirca, Cialis (tadalafil)
- Levitra, Staxyn (vardenafil)
- Stendra (avanafil)
- Priligy (dapoxetine)
Male libido problems that are treated with these types of drugs include:
- Longer erections: Viagra, sildenafil citrate, Levitra, and Cialis are examples of approved treatments for erection problems.
- Reduced frequency of ejaculation: Treatments available include antidepressants (Lexapro, Paxil or Priligy) and anesthetic creams (such as eutectic mixture of local anesthetics).
- Tiredness: Tiredness in bed can be caused by several factors, including dehydration or lack of salt, iron, vitamin D, B12, or overall hemoglobin. Treatment involves addressing the underlying cause.
Do male enhancement pills work?
Male enhancement pills contain a variety of herbs, and companies often make claims about their ability to increase penis size or improve sexual performance.
However, there is no medical evidence to support these claims. Consult your doctor before taking male enhancement pills.
Do testosterone boosters work?
Herbal testosterone boosters are supplements that are believed to raise testosterone levels.
Although studies have proven that testosterone boosters work to some extent, the FDA reports that it is only the zinc in these medications that is responsible for raising testosterone levels. Other studies have shown that most of these products do not affect testosterone levels, and or only provide effects that last less than a month.
Latest Sexual Health News
Daily Health News
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Better Health. Libido. https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/libido
Healthdirect. Loss of male libido. https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/loss-of-male-libido
Endocrine Society. Decreased Libido. https://www.hormone.org/diseases-and-conditions/decreased-libido
Almaiman AA. Effect of testosterone boosters on body functions: Case report. Int J Health Sci (Qassim). 2018;12(2):86-90. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5870326/
National Institutes of Health. Erectile Dysfunction/Sexual Enhancement. https://www.nccih.nih.gov/health/erectile-dysfunctionsexual-enhancement
Top What Is Libido in a Man? Related Articles
Can Erectile Dysfunction Be Cured?Erectile dysfunction is very common and affects up to one-third of adult men. ED can be cured in most cases through the use of various treatments and lifestyle changes.
Erectile Dysfunction (ED, Impotence)Erectile dysfunction (ED, impotence) is the failure to achieve or maintain an erection. There are many potential underlying causes of erectile dysfunction, including stress and emotional problems, brain dysfunction, problems with blood supply to the penis, and structural problems with the penis.
How Do You Fix Ejaculation Problems?It's common for ejaculation problems to occur as you age. Ejaculation problems usually don’t pose health concerns, but they can be embarrassing to experience. Learn how to fix ejaculation problems and talk to your doctor.
How Sex Drive Changes Through the YearsYour sex drive changes as you age. Hormones, other health problems, and the business of life can affect your libido. Find out what changes you can expect.
Impotence QuizDid you know that certain medical condition may be responsible for ED? Some causes of impotence are medically treatable and reversible. Learn more about what can be done about erectile dysfunction with the Impotence Quiz.
Impotence SlideshowHaving erection problems? What is erectile dysfunction (ED)? Learn about erectile dysfunction causes and treatments such as drugs (pills), pumps, and more.
Sex-Drive KillersNoticing a lack of intimacy with your partner? Here we explore how stress, lack of sleep, weight gain, depression and low T can cause low sex drive in men and women.
What Causes Low, Normal, and High Sex DrivesYour sex drive, also called your libido, refers to how much you would like to have sex. Low, normal, and high sex drives may be due to hormones, medical problems, medications, mental health issues, and other factors.
What Is the Main Cause of Erectile Dysfunction?Penile erection is a complex process in which the brain, nerves, muscles and blood vessels play a major role. The main causes of erectile dysfunction include psychological and health conditions, medications, trauma and lifestyle factors.