17 Home remedies for dry hands
17 Home remedies effective for dry hands
Winter is the time to stack in moisturizers. Dry hands, chapped lips, cracked heels, and dry hair is some of the common winter woes. Hydration and moisturization are the keys to healthy and supple skin during winters.
There are some home remedies effective for dry hands, which include:
- Baby oil or other nourishing oil: Apart from thick moisturizers, baby oil may do wonders. Oil has better moisture-retaining properties than moisturizers.
- Warm water for bathing: Limit your shower time and use warm water to retain the skin’s essential oils. Long hours of a shower with hot water may rip the skin of its essential oil.
- Gentle skin cleansers: Avoid harsh, fragrant, and drying soaps; instead, use soft, mildly fragrant, and moisturizing soaps to nourish the skin with extra moisture. Choose mild soaps loaded with oils or fats.
- Humidifier: Warm and dry indoor air can worsen the dryness of the skin. A humidifier at home can moisturize the air inside your home. Remember to clean your humidifier from time to time.
- Gentle fabrics: Chose fabrics that help your skin to breathe easily, such as cotton or silk. Wool, although natural, can irritate the normal skin. Additionally, wash your fabrics with mild detergents that do not have heavy dyes or perfumes.
- Moisturizers after bath: Apply moisturizers immediately after bathing and gently pat your skin dry to retain some moisture. This is the most appropriate time to rub your creams or lotions, as the moisture gets trapped in your skin.
- Wear gloves: Prolonged contact with water can dry out your hands. Hence, it is necessary to wear rubber gloves while washing the dishes. The gloves give protection from hand dryness.
- Use sunscreen: It is important to protect the exposed skin from the harsh ultraviolet (UV) rays of the sun. Use sunscreen with an SPF25 and above to moisturize the skin and protect it from UV rays.
- Aloe vera: Rubbing a fresh gel of aloe vera has a soothing and moisturizing effect on the skin. This is basically due to the high moisture content present in the gel.
- Oatmeal bath: Oatmeal baths with lukewarm water are useful to beat the itchiness associated with dry skin.
- Honey: Applying fresh honey on the dry skin can enhance its moisture content. It can be applied directly to the skin.
- Drinking milk: Drinking milk rather than applying it to the skin can improve the skin’s health.
Some of the things to avoid while facing dry skin include:
- Hot air dryers can dry out the skin excessively. Hence, it is prudent to use paper towels to pat dry your hands after washing.
- Frostnip is a mild form of frostbite that tends to affect fingers. Hence, it is important to dress appropriately while stepping out of the home.
- Avoid harsh or drying soaps.
- Avoid washing fabrics with harsh detergents.
- Do not use baking soda for treating dry skin as recommended by some sites because it would worsen dryness and itchiness.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top What Is a Natural Remedy for Dry Hands? Related Articles
12 Early Signs of Arthritis in HandsHand arthritis occurs when there is inflammation in one or more joints of the hand and wrist. A few of the common types of arthritis that affect the hands are osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, post-traumatic arthritis (arthritis as a result of an injury), psoriatic arthritis and gout.
Dry SkinDry skin (xeroderma) may be caused by external factors, like cold temperatures, low humidity, harsh soaps, and certain medications, or internal factors, such as thyroid disease, diabetes, psoriasis, or Sjogren's syndrome. Symptoms and signs of dry skin include itching and red, cracked or flaky skin. The main treatment for dry skin is frequent, daily lubrication of the skin.
Dry Skin QuizDry, itching, flaky skin? Take the Dry Skin Quiz to learn what's causing your dry skin and what you can do about it beyond lotions and creams.
Why Are My Hands and Feet Tingling?Do your hands and feet sometimes feel numb or prickly? Learn some of the common causes.
See How Your Life Affects Your SkinSee how your life affects your skin. The choices you make every day affect the appearance of your skin. Learn how to avoid dry skin and wrinkles and to keep your skin healthy with these helpful beauty tips.
Skin QuizWhat's that all over you? Skin, of course! Test your knowledge of your most amazing organ with the Skin Quiz!
What Are the Causes of Blisters on the Hands?Hand blisters are a common sight in everyday life. Learn what causes hand blisters, when to see a doctor, and how to treat hand blisters.