A good weight training routine varies depending upon your general health, stamina and workout equipment
Weight training is a type of exercise regimen that uses weights for resistance, strengthening your muscle, improving your balance and reducing your risk of injury.
A good weight training routine varies depending upon your general health, stamina and the availability of equipment for training. You can use a combination of:
- Weight machines (pulleys and stacks)
- Free weights (dumbbells, barbells and kettlebells)
- Your body weight (pushups, chin-ups and resistance bands)
Weight training is based on the specific exercise you do, number of times you perform it (reps) and number of cycles of reps you complete (sets).
What are different weight training options?
- Weight machines: Machines are a great way to start your routine because they guide your movements and reduce your risk of injury. If you’re a beginner, you should start with light weights to avoid overworking your muscles. Gradually increase the weight by 5%-10% each week.
- Free weights: Using free weights adds complexity to your strength training routine, engaging more muscles and producing a more efficient workout. Besides focusing on the desired movement, you should keep your whole body stabilized.
- Resistance bands: These are portable, multicolored, oversized rubber bands found in gyms and are mainly used to supplement training with a weight machine and free weights.
- Medicine balls: Doing sit-ups with your arms extended straight above your head holding a medicine ball helps engage various muscle groups around your waist and arms, helping you achieve a fitter and more toned body.
- Stability balls: Stability balls are a great way to add resistance to your training. It helps target more muscles, and ones that are usually not as engaged. You can balance your lower back on the ball by keeping your feet steady on the floor, then do sit-ups or upper-body free weight exercises.
- Calisthenics: Calisthenics involves exercises that use your own body weight and nothing else. Calisthenics includes:
What are examples of exercises you can include in your weight training routine?
- Dumbbell single-arm row: Place one hand and one knee on a bench. Hold the dumbbell in the other hand and place the other leg on the floor. Keep your back straight and head in a neutral position. Next, lift the dumbbell to your chest and slowly bring it down. Repeat this action for the desired number of reps.
- Dumbbell shoulder press: Hold two lightweight dumbbells in both of your hands. Lift the dumbbells to the side of your head with the elbows bent at roughly 90 degrees (initial position). Slowly lift the dumbbells further above your head till your arms are straight. Hold for a second and gradually come down to the initial position. Repeat your first set of 10-15 repetitions.
- Stability ball squat: This is a squat variation that uses a stability ball. Take a stability ball and place it against a wall. Lean on the ball with your lower back pressing on it. Keep distance between your feet to support the ball properly. Place your hands on your knees and perform a squat. Press your heels to come back to the original position. Make sure the ball remains fixed in that position. You can also perform crunches using a stability ball.
- Dumbbell chest press: Hold a dumbbell in each hand and sit on a flat bench. Slowly lie down by supporting your head at the end of the bench. Bring the dumbbell close to your chest by resting your elbows on the bench (initial position). Next, slowly lift the dumbbell until your arms are straight. Pause for a second, then lower your arms back to the original position.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Medically Reviewed on 6/4/2021
Top What Is a Good Weight Training Routine? Related Articles
10 Best Shoulder Exercises for Your Home WorkoutThe shoulder is made of two joints. One joint is between the shoulder blade (scapula) and collar bone (clavicle) called the acromioclavicular joint. The other joint is a type of ball and socket joint between the upper end of the bone of the arm (humerus) and shoulder blade. There are 10 shoulder exercises that you can easily include as a part of your home workout.
Most Effective ExercisesThese seven exercises deliver fitness results at home or in the gym. Start your training to better physical health with the most effective exercises chosen by our experts.
Flat Abs SlideshowHaving a flat stomach makes you look great and feel great. But how do you get the flat abs you dream of? Learn how with step-by-step instructions for performing the best abdominal exercises.
How to Build a Better ButtWant a rear view that kicks butt? Discover the right exercises, cardio, and style choices that can help in the quest for the perfect butt.
Can Exercise Make Your Buttocks Bigger?Exercise is a great way to build muscles and tone your body. Certain exercises that target a particular muscle group can make that particular part appear shapely or noticeable.
FitnessRegular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety. There are fitness programs that fit any age or lifestyle.
Exercise QuizTake our Exercise and Fitness Quiz and learn to maximize your fitness level with simple exercises that do not require major changes to your lifestyle.
Fitness: Exercises for a Healthy HeartRegular exercise can help reduce the risk of heart disease. To achieve maximum benefits, do a mix of stretching exercises, aerobic activity, and strengthening exercise. Aim to get 20 to 30 minutes of aerobic exercise at least three to four times a week. Consult a doctor before exercising for the first time, especially if you have health problems.
What Are the Four Most Important Types of Exercises?Exercise is the key to a healthy life. When it comes to exercise, it does not mean only the strenuous ones and exercising at the gym. Exercise also includes stretching and balancing acts.
Budget-Friendly FitnessThere are plenty of cheap and free ways to exercise. Learn about inexpensive ways to get in shape with the use of jump ropes, hand weights, resistance bands, stability balls, and more.
What Are the Best Abdominal Exercises?Abdominal exercises strengthen the core muscle groups, including the rectus abdominis, obliques, transversus abdominis, which wraps around the spine.
What Is the Most Effective Core Exercise?The core is a collection of muscles that stabilize, rotate and move the spine. A healthy core translates into a stronger lower back and better balance. The most effective core exercises are dead bug, side plank, front plant, vertical leg crunches, flutter kicks, Russian twists and the hollow body hold and hang.
What Lower Back Exercises Can I Do at Home?Lower back exercises are some of the easiest to do at home. Here are some exercises to strengthen your lower back.