Vitamin D and calcium deficiency can lead to the following medical conditions and issues. Read more: What Happens If You Don’t Get Enough Calcium and Vitamin D? Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Vitamin D Deficiency: How Much Vitamin D Is Enough?
What does vitamin D do? Learn about vitamin D benefits and discover foods that are high in vitamin D. Explore vitamin D...
15 Delicious Calcium-Rich Dishes
Explore 15 delicious calcium-rich dishes. Tender stuffed chicken, Spanish cheese, and almond cake top this array of tasty foods...
Vitamin D Quiz: Test Your IQ of Dietary Supplements
What happens to the body when there is a vitamin D deficiency? Take the Vitamin D Quiz to find out what you may be missing.
Vitamins and Supplements: Foods High in Vitamin D
Vitamin D is important for your bones, blood cells, and immune system -- your body's defense against germs. Find out which foods...
Which Foods Are Highest in Calcium for Your Diet and Body?
Your nervous system, muscles, heart, bones, teeth, and more all need calcium. To get more calcium in your diet, try these 10...
Related Disease Conditions
Vitamin D Deficiency
Vitamin D deficiency has been linked with rickets, cancer, cardiovascular disease, severe asthma in children and cognitive impairment in older adults. Causes include not ingesting enough of the vitamin over time, having limited exposure to sunlight, having dark skin, and obesity. Symptoms include bone pain and muscle weakness. Treatment for vitamin D deficiency involves obtaining more vitamin D through supplements, diet, or exposure to sunlight.
Vitamin D Deficiency
Vitamins and Calcium Supplements
Vitamins are organic substances that are essential for the proper growth and functioning of the body. Calcium is a mineral essential for healthy bones and is also important for muscle contraction, heart action, and normal blood clotting.
What Does Vitamin D Do for the Body?
Vitamin D is an essential nutrient the body needs to keep bones and muscles healthy, as well as build a strong immune system.
Why Are Calcium Levels Low in Renal Failure?
Renal failure usually causes calcium imbalance. During renal failure, the kidneys may no longer filter out extra phosphorus and remove it from the body or from urine. Over time, phosphorus may increase in the blood. Calcium and phosphorous usually keep each other in check.
What Foods Are Highest in Vitamin D?
What are the foods highest in Vitamin D? Learn about the best sources to make sure this vitamin is included in your diet.
What Are the Symptoms and Causes of Vitamin D Deficiency?
What is vitamin D deficiency? Learn the signs of vitamin D deficiency and what foods you can eat to help prevent vitamin D deficiency.
What Are the Benefits of Vitamin D?
Vitamin D is an essential nutrient for our bodies. Learn about eight benefits of vitamin D, how to know if you’re getting enough vitamin D, and what to eat to increase vitamin D in your body.
What Does Calcium Do for the Body?
Calcium is an essential mineral required for the optimal functioning of the body.
How Do I Know If I Am Getting Enough Vitamin D?
Vitamin D is an important nutrient that helps your body function properly. The best way to find out if you are getting enough vitamin D through your lifestyle and diet is to take the 25-hydroxy vitamin D blood test.
How Do You Know if You're Getting Enough Vitamin D?
Vitamin D is an important hormone in your body that helps you regulate your calcium and phosphorus balance and bone density. The best way to know if you’re getting enough vitamin D is if you get the recommended amount in your diet.
Does Vitamin D Protect Against COVID-19?
COVID-19 or coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by a newly discovered coronavirus called severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). It manifests as mild to moderate respiratory illness in most people who may not require any special treatment. Certain high-risk groups, such as older people and people with underlying health conditions (chronic respiratory diseases, diabetes, cancer and cardiovascular diseases), are more likely to get seriously ill.
What Does Calcium Do for Your Health?
Calcium is essential for overall health. Almost all cells of the body require calcium for optimal functioning.
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Vitamin D FAQs
- Osteoarthritis - Vitamin D May Prevent Progression
- Kidney Stones and Calcium
- Thyroid Disease, Osteoporosis and Calcium
- How Long Do I Need Calcium?
- What Is the Best Calcium Supplement?
- Does Vitamin D Deficiency Cause Symptoms?
- Vitamin D: Winterize Your Diet
- Calcium Intake Can Enhance Weight Loss
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- How Are Vitamin D Levels Tied to COVID-19 Risks?
- Vitamin D Won't Reduce Risk of Depression
- Indoor Athletes Often Lacking in Vitamin D
- Vitamin D in Pregnancy Doesn't Curb Kids' Asthma
- Vitamin D Alone Doesn't Prevent Fractures, New Study Finds
- Vitamin D is Key to Muscle Strength in Older Adults
- Low Vitamin D Levels, Shorter Life?
- AHA News: Stroke May Lead to Lower Vitamin D
- Could You Be Short on Vitamin D?
- Health Tip: Get More Vitamin D
- Vitamin D Deficiency Could Be Lung Disease Risk
- Vitamin D May Lower Miscarriage Risk
- The Dynamic Duo: Calcium and Vitamin D
- Vitamin D Fails the Asthma Test
- Health Tip: How to Get Enough Vitamin D
- Vitamin D Pumps Up Muscles
- Calcium Supplements May Not Be Heart Healthy
- Vitamin D Levels May Fall When Women Stop Taking Birth Control
- Vitamin D Boosts Heart Function in Study
- IBS Linked to Low Vitamin D
- Calcium Supplements Tied to Kidney Stone Risk in Study
- Health Tip: Get Enough Vitamin D
- Vitamin D, Calcium Don't Reduce Menopause Symptoms
- Vitamin D Levels Tied to Survival in Seriously Ill Cats
- Vitamin D Supplements Might Help Some Lose Weight
- Little Risk of Vitamin D Toxicity, Study Says
- Calcium Supplements Tied to Macular Degeneration
- Health Tip: Think You're Getting Enough Calcium?
- Health Tip: Get Enough Calcium
- Calcium, Vitamin D Supplements OK for Arteries
- Vitamin D Plus Calcium Guards Against Fractures
- Calcium, Vitamin D Won't Prevent Breast Cancer
- Health Tip: Getting Calcium If You're Lactose Intolerant
- Calcium/Vitamin D Slows Weight Gain Less
- High Calcium, Vitamin D Intake May Harm Aging Brain
- How Much Vitamin D Is Too Much?
- What Are the Most Common Vitamin Deficiencies?
- Ten Effective Ways to Increase Vitamin D Intake
- Is a Vitamin D Supplement as Good as Sunlight?
- What Is the Best Source of Calcium?
- What Are the 14 Benefits of Vitamin D?
- What Does Calcium Citrate Do?
- Which Foods Contain Calcium?
- How Much Vitamin D Can I Take in a Day?
- How Can I Increase My Vitamin D Level?
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter