A body wrap is a treatment to maintain healthy skin and appearance. People use body wraps for a variety of reasons. Some of these reasons include helping your body get rid of unhealthy toxins, excess fluids, and dead skin. Different types of body wrap target different goals and unique types of skin.
Types of body wraps
There are a few types of body wrap. These include:
- Infrared body wrap. Your body naturally emits infrared light we experience as heat. Infrared technology uses a low light wavelength that is invisible to the naked eye, which we also experience as heat. When used on the human body, some feel it helps with detoxification. Using infrared body wraps is also thought by some to increase your chi (your natural energy).
- Seaweed or algae body wraps. These body wraps may help with the detoxification and nourishment of the skin. The seaweed leaves or algae paste are mostly applied while warm. Both plants provide amino acids and vitamins that nourish the skin.
- Compression body wraps. These types of body wraps involve using bandages that might be soaked herbs, minerals, and essential oils. A compression body wrap might cause slimming temporarily. The wraps may be applied to the body for up to an hour-long. Anyone using compression body wraps should consider drinking a lot of water to hydrate and get rid of toxins in the body.
- Mud or clay body wraps. Mud body wraps may help to detoxify your skin as the clay dries up. They also help by making the skin firmer. In addition to clay, this type of body wrap also involves the addition of essential oils. Studies show that mud body wraps increase circulation, relieve pain, and relaxes muscles. These types of body wraps mostly come after a body polish, or an exfoliation shower.
- Heat body wraps. Heat body wraps are thought by some to reduce pain and discomfort in various parts of your body. If you suffer from acute low back pain, you might consider a heat wrap. The heat wrap uses an exothermic chemical reaction to produce a low level of heat. One process called “low-level heat wraps” takes up to eight continuous hours to be effective.
- Herbal body wraps. This type of body wrap involves soaking a cloth in a herb and then applying it to the skin. It might help with detoxification and healing the skin.
- Cream body wraps. Also known as oil body wraps, this involves the use of creams like coconut oil, almond oil, aloe vera, and shea butter. You then place a warm blanket after application of the cream on the skin.
What to know before trying body wraps
There are a few terms you should know and facts to consider before using body wraps. These include:
- Inch loss. Body wraps can seem to help you lose weight. However, they don't help you lose weight permanently. The weight difference or inch loss is due to water loss. For permanent weight loss use other techniques like dieting.
- Ingredients. Different body wraps use different ingredients. Find out what your wrap is made of to ensure safety. Some common body wrap ingredients include seaweed, algae, clay, aloe vera, and mud.
- Pregnancy. Women who are pregnant or think they might be pregnant should not use heat wraps. Heat wraps may raise your body temperature to unsafe levels. Check with your doctor before trying any other types of body wraps.
- Diabetes, high blood pressure, and other heart conditions. People with these underlying conditions should consider avoiding heated body wraps.
Latest Skin News
Daily Health News
Benefits of a body wrap
Different methods of body wraps may have different benefits depending on the type of wrapping used. The following are some of the beneficial effects body wraps might have on your skin:
- Reduction of inflammation and joint pain relief
- Skin hydration
- Skin smoothening
- Body toning and slimming
- Relaxing and soothing muscles
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne: "How to create a top Spa menu: From body wraps to management."
EstheticianEDU.org: "Everything You Need to Know About Offering Body Wrap Services in Your Esthetics Spa."
The Johns Hopkins University: "LOW-LEVEL HEAT WRAP THERAPY SAFELY REDUCES LOW BACK PAIN AND IMPROVES MOBILITY IN THE WORKPLACE."
Top What Happens When You Get a Body Wrap Related Articles
8 Skin Warning Signs to Worry About in a RashMost of the rashes are harmless and may not indicate anything serious. However, if there are these accompanying symptoms along with the skin rash, it may signify something serious.
Skin & Makeup QuizAre you doing right by your skin? Take the Skin and Makeup Quiz to learn how to make the most of your beauty regimen.
Teen Girls Beauty TipsLearn about DIY skin and hair care for teen girls. Don't let a pimple, bad hair day, or cold sore get in the way of your good looks.
How Can I Get Clear and Glowing Skin at Home?We all, regardless of our gender, wish for a fountain of youth. Men, women, and teenagers alike want a clear and glowing skin. Although genetics play a major role in skin tone and quality, you can achieve a clear and glowing skin by adhering to a decent skin-care regime.
How Can I Lighten My Skin Naturally?Melanin is a substance made by cells in the skin, and it is the pigment responsible for the skin color that may vary with race and genetics. Skin problems like allergies, acne, hormonal disorders, and exposure to the sun can cause changes to the skin color. Hyperpigmentation is the darkening of the skin.
How Can I Make My Skin Tighter?Most people experience sagging skin between the ages of 35 and 40 years old. As we age, the production of proteins that are responsible for keeping our skin plump, firm and smooth (collagen and elastin) declines gradually, resulting in sagging skin on the face, neck and body. Some of the natural or home remedies to firm the skin include facial exercise, application of topical products and doctor prescribed interventions.
How Does Tea Tree Oil Get Rid of Skin Tags?Learn how tea tree oil will help get rid of your skin tags and help you manage this condition.
How Much Does It Cost for Laser Skin Resurfacing?Laser resurfacing is a procedure that removes layers of the skin and improves its appearance or treats minor facial flaws such as blemishes or acne scars by using lasers.
How To Remove Skin Tags With Nail PolishLearn why it is not a good idea to use nail polish to remove a skin tag.
Non-Itchy Red Spots: 20 Skin DisordersMost of the red spots on the skin are itchy. However, some do not itch. Enlisted here are 20 common skin disorders that cause red spots without itching.
Skin RashThe word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different skin conditions. The most common of these are scaly patches of skin and red, itchy bumps or patches all over the place.
The Skin (Human Anatomy): Picture, Definition, Function and Skin ConditionsThe skin is the largest organ in the body that covers the entire external surface. It protects the internal organs from germs and thus helps prevent infections. The skin is made up of three main layers.
Teen Girls Skin CareWant to know how to get rid of blackheads? Discover tips on clogged pores, sunscreen SPF and how to remove makeup for different skin types like dry skin and oily skin in these health tips for teens.
Skin Picture QuizCould you identify a scabies infestation? Take the Skin Diseases Pictures Quiz and learn to identify common conditions that plague human skin.
Skin Problems: Benefits of Light TherapyCould light be the cure for what ails you? Find out how light therapy can help treat skin disorders, pain, depression, and more.
Skin QuizWhat's that all over you? Skin, of course! Test your knowledge of your most amazing organ with the Skin Quiz!
Sun-Damaged SkinSee how sun damaged skin can cause wrinkles, moles, melanoma (skin cancer) and more. Explore images of squamous cell carcinoma and the early signs of skin cancer.