Cancer is one of the leading causes of death globally. Certain foods are deemed co-carcinogenic or have the potential to cause cancer. There is strong evidence linking diet with an increased incidence of specific cancers. Foods that increase the risk of cancer include:
Foods high in sugars and simple carbohydrates: Sugary foods that cause a fluctuation in blood sugar levels might increase the risk of certain cancers. Those consuming foods high in simple carbohydrates are at risk of colon cancer. Having diabetes increases the risk of colon and rectal cancer. Examples include soda, sweets, white rice, white bread, etc.
- Processed meat: Patients consuming processed meats such as hot dogs, salami, and bacon are at an increased risk of colon and rectal cancer.
- Red meats: Red meat consumption has a strong correlation with cancer of the gut.
- Dairy: Excessive consumption of dairy products may increase the risk of prostate cancer.
- Foods cooked at high temperatures: Foods consumed through grilling, deep-frying, and barbecuing may be harmful because it may cause the build-up of carcinogens such as heterocyclic amines (HA) and advanced glycation end-products (AGEs) that are considered harmful.
- Alcohol: Most of the cancer deaths worldwide may be directly linked to excessive alcohol consumption. Excessive alcohol consumption may increase the risk of breast cancer and upper respiratory tract cancers.
- Microwave popcorn: The popcorn bag usually contains a chemical that keeps kernels from sticking to it. As the bag heats up, the coating decomposes, creating perfluorooctanoic acid, which has been linked to an increased risk of liver and prostate cancers.
- Canned foods: Ready-to-cook food cans are lined with a chemical named bisphenol A (BPA). This is harmful because it dissolves in the food. Canned foods may cause hormonal imbalances, damaging the DNA and increasing the risk of type 2 diabetes and cancer.
- Pickled food: It has been found that pickling increases nitrates, salt, and artificial coloring content in the food and is directly linked to digestive tract cancer that affects the stomach and colon.
- Hydrogenated oils: Hydrogenated oils are vegetable oils, which cannot be naturally extracted such as olive oil, soy, or canola oil; they must be chemically removed. They are commonly used in many foods to preserve and keep their shelf life. However, they may cause cancer, birth defects, heart diseases, and many other fatalities.
- White flour: Refining the flour removes all the nutritional value. This refined flour is further bleached with chlorine gas to make it appealing for the customer. This bleached flour has a high glycemic index, which means that it is rich in carbohydrates. Foods having a high glycemic index are known to increase blood sugar levels, which in turn directly feeds the cancerous cells.
- Farmed fish: Farmed fish are one of the common means of exposure to cancer. They are raised in large quantities by fish farmers, where they are administered to antibiotics, antivirals, pesticides, and a lot of other carcinogenic chemicals. These carcinogenic chemicals may also cause cancer when consumed.
- Aflatoxin infested food: Aflatoxin is a fungus that affects peanuts in musty storehouses. Having food infested with aflatoxin has been known to cause cancers of the liver.
Which foods may protect us from cancers?
Including more of vegetables and fruits in the diet can protect us from cancer:
- Vegetables: Raw vegetables or salads such as tomatoes, leafy green vegetables, carrots, broccoli, cabbage, Brussels, and sprouts.
- Diet: A diet is considered healthy if an individual is consuming foods high in dietary fiber, such as grains and cereals.
- Fruits: Citrus fruits such as oranges, grapefruit, lemons, and limes are considered good for health and have cancer-fighting ability.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top What Foods Increase the Risk of Cancer? Related Articles
Top Cancer-Fighting FoodsExperts have praised certain foods for their ability to reduce cancer risks. Learn which foods and eating strategies may help reduce your risk of developing cancer.
Cancer PreventionCertain behavioral, lifestyle, and environmental factors contribute to cancer. Cancer prevention involves modifying these factors to decrease cancer risk. Tobacco use, alcohol consumption, physical inactivity, inadequate fruit and vegetable intake, and obesity increase the risk of certain cancers. Vaccines, genetic testing, and cancer screening also play a role in cancer prevention.
Cancer QuizTake this quiz to learn the causes of cancer. Get the facts about the causes, symptoms, and treatments for the world's most common cancers.
Is Cancer Contagious?Cancer is an abnormal growth of cells. A variety of parasites and viruses have been linked to various cancers. Cancer may metastasize, spreading from its original location to other organs. If you have cancer, you should seek medical care immediately if you experience high fever, shortness of breath, intense headaches, vomiting blood or passing blood rectally, chest pain or moderate to severe weakness, passing out (fainting), mental status changes, or seizures.
Lazanda (fentanyl) nasal sprayLazanda (fentanyl) nasal spray is a strong prescription pain medicine that contains an opioid (narcotic) that is used to manage breakthrough pain in adults (18 years of age and older) with cancer who are already routinely taking other opioid pain medicines around-the-clock for cancer pain. Side effects of Lazanda include constipation, nausea, sleepiness, vomiting, tiredness, headache, dizziness, abdominal pain, weakness, anxiety, depression, rash, trouble sleeping, low red blood cell count, swelling, and decreased blood pressure.
Lenvima (lenvatinib)Lenvima is a prescription medicine that is used to treat certain kinds of cancer, including differentiated thyroid cancer (DTC), advanced renal cell carcinoma (RCC, kidney cancer), hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC, liver cancer ), and endometrial carcinoma (uterine cancer). Serious side effects of Lenvima include high blood pressure, heart problems, artery blood clots, liver problems, kidney problems, and more, depending upon cancer type.
Men's Cancer SymptomsSee pictures of which 15 cancer symptoms men ignore such as skin changes, difficulty swallowing, rapid weight loss, a breast mass, and more. Learn possible clues to finding and detecting cancer early.
Subsys (fentanyl)Subsys is a strong prescription pain medicine that contains an opioid (narcotic) that is used to manage breakthrough pain in adults (18 years of age and older) with cancer who are already routinely taking other opioid pain medicines around-the-clock for cancer pain. Subsys is an opioid pain medicine that can put you at risk for overdose and death.
Surviving CancerCancer survivors face ongoing physical, mental, occupational, and relationship challenges. Cancer survivors must coordinate follow-up care with the doctor and develop a wellness plan to stay healthy. This includes reducing stress, eating well, and exercising to support optimal health and minimize the risk of the cancer returning.
Targeted Therapy: What Is Oncogenic Addiction in Cancer Cells?Targeted therapy for cancers with oncogenic addiction aims to stop the mutated "oncogene" that fuels the tumor. Research indicates that cancer cells may rely more heavily on oncogenic mutations that originally gave rise to the particular cancer, rather than other reasons for their growth. Such cancers have an oncogenic addiction because they mainly depend on that oncogene’s continued activity for survival.
Targeted Therapy: What Are The 10 Hallmarks of Cancer?Targeted cancer therapy is a specialized treatment for certain cancers with medications that target the proteins and cell-signaling pathways in the cancer cells which drive their growth and proliferation. Targeted therapies also aim to stop some of the other mechanisms in the tumor microenvironment which the cancer cells enslave to foster their growth and metastasis.
The Seven Warning Signs of CancerThe awareness of early signs and symptoms for cancer types n order to get them diagnosed and treated at early stage is important.
What Are the Top Ten Cancers?Lung cancer is the number one killer cancer in the world. It is the most common cause of cancer-related deaths in both men and women.
Which Is the Deadliest Cancer?Lung cancer is considered to be the most deadly cancer. More people die from lung cancer each year than from breast, colorectal and prostate cancer combined.
Female Cancer SymptomsCancer symptoms can surprise women if they don't know what to watch out for. 15 cancer symptoms women ignore such as weight loss, bloating, breast changes, unusual bleeding, skin changes, difficulty swallowing, indigestion, and more. Learn possible clues to finding and detecting cancer early.