Research indicates that people who followed a low-carb diet had a smaller waist circumference in five years than those who didn’t.
To reduce abdominal fat, try lowering carbohydrates and increasing protein and fiber intake. Also, eat gut-friendly foods and plenty of healthy fats. People may add apple cider vinegar and plenty of green tea to their diets.
Changing your diet won’t necessarily mean losing weight first. However, eating certain foods and sticking to a regular workout routine can help with weight loss.
What should I eat to lose belly fat overnight?
To aid in your weight loss journey, eating the common foods below, coupled with a regular workout routine, can help you lose weight and shed belly fat:
- Resveratrol: It can be found in abundance in fruits, peanut butter, and dark chocolate. This slows down fat accumulation in the body.
- Red fruits: The deeper the color, the more effective they are at turning off obesity genes. Red fruits, such as apples, can be some of the healthiest foods to eat.
- Choline: Researchers believe it turns off the genes for visceral fat gain. This nutrient is commonly found in eggs.
- Spices and flavors: Cinnamon and ginger may help reduce swelling and slow down fat genes.
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal is a great way to start the day and if it is a little sweet it may satisfy a person’s sweet tooth. Beans, rice, oats, and other fiber can work with the gut bacteria to turn off genes for diabetes.
- Extra plant protein: It can be found in soy or split peas or nuts and seeds, such as almonds, pecans, or sunflower seeds. Also, a plant-based protein powder can be added to any smoothie for extra calories.
- Lean meat: It can help keep the metabolism high. Lean meats include skinless chicken breast, the white meat part of the turkey, or the lean cuts of beef.
- Leafy greens, green tea, and bright vegetables can help reduce swelling and turn off fat-storage genes. Bright, colorful vegetables also add color and crunch to the meal plan. Drinking green tea has also been shown to reduce visceral fat. Green tea is low in calories and contains epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), which studies indicate that it effectively reduces belly fat.
- Following a low-carb diet also means consuming more protein. Studies indicate that a diet rich in high protein foods, such as eggs, fish, seafood, legumes, nuts, meat, and dairy results in overall less abdominal fat, more satiety, and an increased metabolic function.
- Adding fiber-rich foods to meals is also a key in keeping off the body fat. Good sources of fiber are foods, such as legumes, oats, psyllium husk, chia seeds as well as vegetables and fruit.
- Studies show that strains of the Lactobacillus family can also help reduce abdominal fat. The research indicates that eating yogurt with this strain reduced body fat by three to four percent in six weeks.
- Fatty fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids helps reduce visceral fat. Research shows that having two to three servings of salmon, herrings, sardines, mackerel, and anchovies per week can significantly reduce liver and abdominal fat.
- Some studies show that drinking apple cider vinegar reduces body fat stores. The best way to take it is with water because undiluted vinegar can erode tooth enamel. It is also recommended to take it first thing in the morning to help flush out toxins and cleanse the liver.
What is the best diet to follow for weight loss?
According to research, the Mediterranean diet may aid in weight loss and promote better control of blood glucose (sugar) levels. It also reduces the risk of depression, stroke, and Alzheimer's disease, and levels of inflammation (a risk factor of heart attack). Additionally, there is no need to count calories when following this diet.
The Mediterranean diet focuses on:
- Olive oil, which is rich in healthy omega-3 fatty acids
- Whole grains
- Fish (at least a couple of times a week)
- Flavorful herbs and spices
- Occasional poultry, eggs, red meat, and a glass of wine
- Cheese and yogurt in moderation
Example of Mediterranean diet plan:
- Breakfast: Smoked salmon or a slice of whole-grain toast with half of a mashed avocado.
- Lunch: Gazpacho soup or a spiced lentil salad.
- Dinner: Penne pasta with roasted cherry tomatoes, olives, capers, and pine nuts.
Having a glass of wine in moderation is fine. Poultry, eggs, red meat, cheese, and yogurt may be added to the diet once a week. People should enjoy food and wine in moderation when socializing with friends and family during meals as part of the prescription.
Mediterranean diet is recommended for:
- Short- and long-term weight loss
- Effectively preventing cardiovascular disease
- Effectively preventing diabetes
- Its ease of compliance
- Complete nutrition and calorie intake
- Preventing other health risks
- Stress Urinary Incontinence? Know Your Surgical Options
- Exercise Does Help People With Parkinson's Disease, Review Finds
- Scientists Pinpoint Brain Area Needed for Vision-Guided Walking
- Walking & Talking at Same Time: Aging Brain May Make It Tougher
- Medication Shortage Means Many With Advanced Prostate Cancer Are Missing Treatments
- More Health News »
Do bananas cause belly fat?
No, bananas when taken in moderation do not cause or increase belly fat.
Bananas are versatile fruits that can be eaten in limited portions to lose or maintain weight. Have it as a snack instead of a sugary option like cookies or pastries. The natural sugars in bananas make it an outstanding snack before a workout. It may give the required energy during workout routines and in day-to-day activities.
Bananas contain resistant starch, which may not contribute to the number of calories consumed if taken in a limited quantity. They also contain a high amount of natural fibers and potassium, which usually help in losing weight.
Bananas are great fruits that are cheap, high in vitamin B6, and contain amino acids like tryptophan essential for healthy sleep and a good mood.
What are the benefits of snacking on a banana?
Bananas are a quick and great snack and have many health benefits, such as:
- B-vitamins in bananas help the body to maintain a healthy metabolism and reduce health risks associated with type 2 diabetes. They are also important for the nervous system and help our body produce white blood cells.
- Bananas also help keep you healthy by potentially reducing your risk of kidney cancer and macular degeneration (due to the high content of the carotenoid ‘lutein’).
- It may be a good snack for women who are suffering from premenstrual syndrome or PMS (it is a condition that affects a woman's emotions, physical health, and behavior during certain days of the menstrual cycle, generally just before her menses). As per research, snacking on bananas may improve mood whether you are on PMS or not. This may be due to its high tryptophan content.
- Bananas are a good late-night snack. They promote a good night’s sleep.
- It is a good snack before the workout session because its mixture of slow-moving sugar plus electrolytes can help keep your energy level steady.
- The potassium and magnesium in bananas may help protect us from muscle cramps at night and during workouts.
- Bananas are rich in pectin, which is a soluble dietary fiber and great for digestion. Bananas are promoted for their role in the BRAT diet. This diet is advised while recovering from a bout of stomach flu.
- Banana fiber contains a prebiotic that encourages the growth of healthy bacteria in the bowel. These bacteria produce digestive enzymes that help the body absorb nutrients and support healthy weight management.
- The fiber in bananas is good for relieving constipation, and it also helps in soothing the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Bananas may naturally soothe acid reflux, heartburn, and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Bananas are rich in antioxidants, especially when overripe, which protect against premature aging.
- Banana is also considered good if an individual is trying to quit smoking. The high levels of B-vitamins, potassium, and magnesium in bananas are not only good for but they help an individual recover quickly from nicotine withdrawal.
- Banana milkshake with honey is the hangover cure. The fruit will calm your stomach, the honey will help normalize the blood sugar, and the milk will rehydrate the body.
- According to the University of Maryland Medical Centre, increasing the consumption of potassium-rich foods can help prevent osteoporosis; a 2008 study found that a diet that is potassium-rich and bicarbonate-rich significantly reduces bone turnover (another term for bone loss). Bananas also contain 16% of the daily value of manganese, which is a nutrient that might help prevent arthritis and osteoporosis.
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Rush University https://www.rush.edu/news/losing-belly-fat
The Nutrition Source. Bananas. Harvard T.H. Chan. https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/food-features/bananas/
Top What Foods Help Burn Belly Fat Related Articles
25 Effective Tips to Lose Belly Fat (Backed by Science)Sugary foods, processed foods, alcohol, stress, smoking, excess carbohydrates and saturated fats all increase belly fat. Exercise, healthy eating, sleep, self-monitoring, portion control, intermittent fasting, high protein, soluble fiber, vitamin D, hydration and eating flavorful food may all help decrease belly fat.
8 Effective Exercises to Burn Stomach FatOne can lose stomach fat by adhering to a strict diet plan, exercise regime, and lifestyle modifications. It’s normal to want to get rid of stomach fat fast, but it is not possible to reduce fat. Hence, losing stomach fat requires a mix of various exercises such as resistance training or high-intensity aerobic exercise, along with a healthy diet, which help lose body weight, including stomach fat.
Are Bananas Good for Weight Loss?Bananas are a widely available, affordable, and versatile fruit that cause weight loss if taken in moderation to lose weight. However, it should be consumed as a snack rather than a full meal. Bananas are loaded with fiber. A crucial component of any weight loss diet is to understand that no single food has the power to make an individual gain or lose weight.
Can You Lose Belly Fat by Cycling?Yes, cycling can help lose belly fat, but it will take time. A recent study showed regular cycling may enhance overall fat loss and promote a healthy weight. To reduce overall belly girth, moderate-intensity aerobic exercises, such as cycling (either indoor or outdoor), are effective to lower belly fat.
Can You Lose Belly Fat Without Doing Abs?You can lose belly fat without doing ab exercises by focusing on diet and reducing your overall body fat percentage.
Childhood Obesity QuizChildhood obesity has reached epidemic proportions. Take the Childhood Obesity Quiz to test your knowledge of the facts and causes of overweight and obese kids and teens.
Diet Pills, Weight Loss Drugs, SuppressantsMaintaining a healthy weight is important because being overweight or underweight may lead to various health issues. Body mass index or BMI is calculated by dividing a person’s weight in kilograms by the square of their height in meters.
Cut Daily CaloriesWhen you want to lose weight, you’ll probably need to find a way to eat fewer calories. Try these tips to trim them from your diet without feeling hungry all the time.
Ketogenic DietThese are low-carb diets -- the basic idea is to get most of your calories from protein and fat. There are some benefits, but you should be careful with them, especially if you have certain medical issues.
Diet and Weight Loss: Reasons You're Not Losing Belly FatIf you're trying to lose belly fat but can't, there's probably a reason.
Do Ellipticals Help Lose Belly Fat?One can lose belly fat by adhering to a strict diet plan and exercise regimen and by making a few lifestyle modifications. Elliptical trainers can help burn calories, reduce belly fat and tone the body.
FastingFasting: It's simple and trending, though it's been around for thousands of years. Find out whether it might be a good option for you, and what the risks and benefits are.
How Can I Reduce My Belly Fat?Reducing belly fat seems to be an arduous task. Poor lifestyle, genetics, hormones, and medications often shows its impact on our weighing scales. There are no spot reduction techniques for losing just the belly fat. However, with these helpful home remedies, slow and steady inch loss is possible.
Is Coconut Milk Good for Weight Loss?Coconut milk is a milky white fluid that is extracted from the flesh of mature coconuts. It has a slightly sweet and nutty taste that is liked by many. Coconut milk is one of the most preferred non-dairy milk substitutes, such as soy milk and almond milk.
Obesity and OverweightObesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are more than 20% over their ideal weight. That ideal weight must take into account the person's height, age, sex, and build.