Ask the experts
What does it feel like to be constipated?
Symptoms of constipation include:
- Infrequent bowel movements
- Straining when going to the bathroom
- Hard and/or small feces
- Sense of incomplete evacuation after going to the bathroom
- Lower abdominal discomfort
- Abdominal bloating, occasionally distension
- Anal bleeding or fissures from the trauma caused by hard feces
- Occasionally diarrhea due to obstruction of the colon by hard stool
- Rarely colonic perforation
- Psychological distress and/or obsession with having to go to the bathroom
- Possible aggravation of diverticular disease, hemorrhoids and rectal prolapse
For more information, read our full medical article about constipation.
"Management of chronic constipation in adults"
CONTINUE SCROLLING OR CLICK HERE