What is a pretrichial brow lift?
A pretrichial brow lift is a surgical procedure to correct the loss of soft tissue elasticity in the upper third of the face. The pretrichial brow lift is usually performed by plastic surgeons.
Excess sagging skin around the forehead causing drooping of the brows and wrinkling of the forehead is removed. Underlying muscle and tissue are repositioned, creating a more refreshed, youthful appearance in the upper third of the face.
A pretrichial brow lift can also be combined with a facelift.
Why do people seek a pretrichial brow lift?
Aesthetically, the face is divided into three equal parts, of which the forehead (from the top of the eyebrow to the anterior hairline) occupies the upper third. In males, this area averages 7 cm. In females, it averages 5 cm.
The male eyebrow is less arched than the female eyebrow. The top of the eyebrow lies approximately 2.5 cm from the mid pupil. With aging, these parameters may shift. A lesser distance denotes eyebrow drooping (ptosis). Loss of forehead skin elasticity from genetics, solar damage, and gravity causes eyebrow and upper eyelid drooping.
Aging also causes depletion of the subcutaneous fat with deterioration of the subjacent skull bone. This leads to forehead wrinkling.
Why is pretrichial brow lift surgery done?
Patients may seek this surgery to correct:
- A tired, surprised, worried, or annoyed appearance
- Aged appearance
- Drooping (ptosis) of the eyebrows
- Wrinkling of the forehead
Who should not seek a pretrichial brow lift?
How is the pretrichial brow lift performed?
Before the surgery
- The patient must discontinue use of aspirin and similar medications at least two weeks prior to surgery and for two weeks postoperatively.
- The position of the hairline, eyebrow, and upper eyelids is carefully noted manually, locating the eyebrow position and observing the effect on the upper eyelid.
- The sites of forehead wrinkles are recorded.
During the procedure
- The surgery is usually performed under general anesthesia.
- Shaving is not necessary.
- Incision follows 2 mm behind the hairline, helping induce hair growth through the incision.
- Incision is extended if a facelift is performed at the same time.
- Entire flap is advanced toward the back of the head and the excess trimmed to close without tension.
- The incision in the scalp skin is closed with sutures, and staples are used in the hair-bearing region.
- A light pressure dressing is applied.
After the procedure
What are the complications of pretrichial brow lift surgery?
Though rare, complications can occur. Contact your surgeon, if you encounter any of the following complications:
- Blood clot (hematoma) formation
- Facial nerve impairment
- Sensory nerve impairment: numbness around the incision tends to resolve in 3 to 6 months
- Loss of hair (alopecia): Alopecia may be temporary or permanent.
- Inability to close the eyelids completely
- Unsightly scarring
- Contour irregularities
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top What Does a Pretrichial Brow Lift Do Related Articles
FaceliftA face lift is a surgical procedure that involves the removal of excess facial skin to promote a more youthful appearance. Potential complications of the procedure include
- asymmetry, and
- loss of muscle function or sensation.
How Much Does a Brow Lift Cost?A mid-forehead brow lift, commonly known as a brow lift, is a procedure that involves surgical correction of eyebrow sagging. Eyebrows and eyelids droop for various reasons, including overstretching of forehead, eyebrows and eyelids. A brow lift is done to help such conditions.
What Is Endoscopic Brow Lift Surgery?A brow lift is an aesthetic surgical procedure to correct the loss of soft tissue elasticity in the upper third of the face. An endoscopic brow lift creates a more refreshed, youthful appearance in the upper third area of the face. It can also be combined with a facelift. A endoscopic brow lift is usually performed by a plastic surgeon.
Reduce WrinklesLearn how to protect your skin from wrinkles with these antiaging tricks such as sleep position, diet, and wrinkle treatments. Simple lifestyle changes can reduce wrinkles around the eyes, on the forehead, and around the mouth.