Although an itch on any part of the body is frustrating, itchy private parts add more exasperation and embarrassment. If you have ever experienced itching in and around your genitals, then you might know that the more you scratch the area, the more irritable it becomes.
Itching in a man’s private parts can be caused by several reasons, such as:
- Tinea cruris, also called jock itch, is a type of fungal infection that causes redness and itching in the warm and moist areas of the body, such as the groins, buttocks and inner thighs.
- Eczema and other types of dermatitis are allergies that may be caused by contact allergy, moist tissue wipes, soap allergies, friction between the groin parts and so on.
- Hair regrowth after shaving can sometimes cause itching and irritation.
- Skin irritation, which is caused by tight or non-breathable undergarments.
- Psoriasis, which is a condition that causes scaly skin rashes to appear anywhere on the body, including the groin area.
- Sexually transmitted diseases, such as genital herpes, chlamydia, syphilis and gonorrhea.
- Excessive sweating.
- Skin friction, which is caused by being obese or overweight or during sexual activity.
- Skin allergies, which are caused by detergents or other products, such as talc, or even antiseptics, such as Dettol.
- Urinary tract infections (UTI).
- Lichen sclerosus is an uncommon but chronic condition that creates patchy, white skin that appears thinner than normal.
- Allergy to latex condoms.
- Uncontrolled diabetes.
- Pubic lice.
How to avoid itching in a man’s private parts
To avoid itching in or around a male’s genital area, they must:
- Keep the genital area clean and dry. Dry the area gently but thoroughly after taking a bath or swimming.
- Use plain water or a mild cleaner, such as a gentle soap or a soap-free cleanser, to rinse the genital area with water. Aggressive or overcleaning must be avoided because it can irritate the sensitive area.
- Wear clean, loose and breathable undergarments, especially those made of breathable organic cotton.
- Wash the undergarments well and ensure they are dry and free of detergent residues before putting them on.
- Change the undergarments after at least 24 hours or more frequently if they become damp or soggy.
- Wash the penis including the area under the foreskin (if uncircumcised), especially after using the toilet.
- Use condoms while having sex to prevent the risk of sexually transmitted infections.
- Avoid using perfumes or scented personal care products in your private area.
How do you treat itching in a man's private parts?
Generally, itching or irritation in the private parts goes away on its own with simple measures, such as:
- Washing the affected area with clean and warm water
- Keeping the area dry
- Wearing well-fitting and breathable undergarments
If you are obese or overweight, reducing your weight may also help control the infection.
If the itching keeps recurring, consult a doctor. Treatment will target the cause of infection and your doctor may prescribe medication to control the itching. Your doctor may even advise you to avoid using any personal care products in the genital area that might aggravate the itching. Depending on the cause of the infection, they may prescribe antifungal medications, antiviral medications or antibiotics.
Genital itching may also be aggravated by diabetes and other conditions that weaken immunity. In the case of diabetes, the doctor will prescribe medications and suggest lifestyle changes to control your blood sugar levels. Phototherapy may be used if the itching is due to lichen sclerosus. Other underlying conditions, such as eczema or psoriasis, will also be addressed.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
American Academy of Dermatology. 8 Reasons Your Groin Itches and How to Get Relief. https://www.aad.org/public/everyday-care/itchy-skin/itch-relief/relieve-groin-itch
Top What Causes Itching in a Man's Private Parts Related Articles
EczemaEczema refers to skin inflammation. There are many different types of eczema that produce symptoms and signs that range from oozing blisters to crusty plaques of skin. Treatment varies depending upon the type of eczema the person has.
Genital Herpes and Cold Sores: 10 Myths and FactsGenital herpes and cold sores (oral herpes) are the names given to two types of infection caused by the two types of herpes simplex virus (HSV): HSV-1 and HSV-2.
Genital HerpesWhat's going on down there? WebMD shows you pictures of genital herpes symptoms and treatments -- and how to avoid getting the virus in the first place.
Genital Herpes QuizWhat is genital herpes? Learn the causes, symptoms in men and women, and treatments for this common sexually transmitted skin disease.
Genital Warts PicturesA wart in the moist skin of the genitals or around the anus. See a picture of Genital Warts (HPV) and learn more about the health topic.
Genital Warts in Men (HPV)The HPV virus (genital warts) in men can cause health problems. Genital warts are confined primarily to the moist skin of the genitals or around the anus. Genital warts are caused by the human papillomaviruses (HPVs), which are transmitted through sexual contact.
How Do You Get Rid of Skin Tags on Genitals?Skin tags are common and benign growths. Learn how to have genital skin tags diagnosed and removed if you choose.
Is It Genital Warts or Skin Tags?How do I know if I have genital warts or skin tags? Learn about each condition and how to tell the difference.
Is Jock Itch (Tinea Cruris) Contagious?Jock itch is a fungal infection in the groin area that causes a raised, itchy, red rash. Jock itch can typically be treated with antifungal medications. People may need to seek medical care for jock itch if the groin area becomes swollen, tender, if red streaks appear, or if the lymph nodes become swollen.
Itch (Itching or Pruritus)Itching can be a common problem. Itches can be localized or generalized. There are many causes of itching to include: infection (jock itch, vaginal itch), disease (hyperthyroidism, liver or kidney), reactions to drugs, and skin infestations (pubic or body lice). Treatment for itching varies depending on the cause of the itch.
Jock ItchJock itch is an itchy red rash that appears in the groin area. The rash may be caused by a bacterial or fungal infection. People with diabetes and those who are obese are more susceptible to developing jock itch. Antifungal shampoos, creams, and pills may be needed to treat fungal jock itch. Bacterial jock itch may be treated with antibacterial soaps and topical and oral antibiotics.
What Are the Symptoms & Signs of Genital Warts?Of all warts, 30% will subside within the first four months of infection. A genital wart is a type of sexually transmitted disease appearing in various sizes and shapes. Some people get a few warts, whereas some get many.
What Is the Fastest Way To Cure Jock Itch?Learn what medical treatments can help ease your jock itch symptoms and help speed up your recovery.
What Is the Main Cause of Eczema?The exact cause of eczema is unknown. It is caused due to an overactive immune system that responds aggressively when exposed to triggers.