Early ejaculation or premature ejaculation is often caused by a combination of physical, chemical, emotional, and psychological factors.
Physical or chemical factors may include:
- Erectile dysfunction: Trouble getting or maintaining an erection
- Urethritis: Inflammation of the male genital tract due to urinary tract infection or stones
- Benign prostatic hypertrophy: Prostatic enlargement, infection, or stones
- Diabetes mellitus: Long-standing diabetes and uncontrolled blood sugar
- Cardiovascular disorders: Endothelial damage (damage to the inner lining of the blood vessels)
- Low serotonin or dopamine levels: Chemicals in the brain that play a role in sexual desire
Emotional or psychological factors may include:
What is premature ejaculation?
Premature ejaculation is a type of sexual dysfunction in which a man orgasms less than a minute after starting sexual intercourse. While premature ejaculation is common, affecting at least 40% of men at some point in their lives, it can lead to frustration and embarrassment.
According to the American Urological Association, ejaculation can be defined as premature if it occurs sooner than desired, usually soon after penetration, and can also occur during masturbation.
How is premature ejaculation treated?
Premature ejaculation can be effectively treated depending on the cause:
- Behavioral therapy: Behavioral therapy involves using different techniques to delay ejaculation, such as the squeezing method, start-stop method, or distraction method.
- Couples therapy: Couples therapy and counseling can help both partners address emotional or relationship issues that could be contributing to the condition
- Stress reduction: If premature ejaculation is caused by stress or anxiety, aromatherapy, massage, or other relaxation methods may help.
- Medications: Doctors may recommend numbing spray or medications to reduce penis sensitivity.
- Management of underlying conditions: Treating conditions such as erectile dysfunction, diabetes, vascular disorders, and benign prostate hypertrophy can help treat early ejaculation.
Consult a specialist who can help create a treatment plan and offer medical advice for your condition.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top What Causes Early Ejaculation Related Articles
Can Erectile Dysfunction Be Cured?Erectile dysfunction is very common and affects up to one-third of adult men. ED can be cured in most cases through the use of various treatments and lifestyle changes.
Can Erectile Dysfunction Ruin a Relationship?Erectile dysfunction (ED) can lead to a loss of intimacy in a relationship that can affect the mental well-being of both partners.
Erectile Dysfunction (ED, Impotence)Erectile dysfunction (ED, impotence) is the failure to achieve or maintain an erection. There are many potential underlying causes of erectile dysfunction, including stress and emotional problems, brain dysfunction, problems with blood supply to the penis, and structural problems with the penis.
How Do You Fix Ejaculation Problems?It's common for ejaculation problems to occur as you age. Ejaculation problems usually don’t pose health concerns, but they can be embarrassing to experience. Learn how to fix ejaculation problems and talk to your doctor.
Impotence QuizDid you know that certain medical condition may be responsible for ED? Some causes of impotence are medically treatable and reversible. Learn more about what can be done about erectile dysfunction with the Impotence Quiz.
Impotence SlideshowHaving erection problems? What is erectile dysfunction (ED)? Learn about erectile dysfunction causes and treatments such as drugs (pills), pumps, and more.
Healthy Aging: Better Sex After 50`It's never too late to improve your sex life. Learn how older adults can overcome common health conditions affecting seniors over 50 such as heart disease, diabetes, and arthritis in order to have a healthy sex life.
Sexual Problems in MenMale sexual dysfunction can be caused by physical or psychological problems. Common sexual problems in men include erectile dysfunction (impotence or ED), premature ejaculation, and loss of libido. Treatment for sexual dysfunction in men may involve medication, hormone therapy, psychological therapy, and the use of mechanical aids.
Sexual Health: 12 Tips for Better SexCan you learn new techniques to breathe better? Healthy breathing helps you maintain the right balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide in your blood. Breathing training and other healthy habits can improve your lung capacity.
What Is the Average Time of Premature Ejaculation?While the average time of ejaculation is roughly 5 minutes and 30 seconds, premature ejaculation occurs less than 1 minute and 30 seconds after penetration.
What Is the Main Cause of Erectile Dysfunction?Penile erection is a complex process in which the brain, nerves, muscles and blood vessels play a major role. The main causes of erectile dysfunction include psychological and health conditions, medications, trauma and lifestyle factors.