The symptoms of hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH) commonly appear within the first few months or years of birth. The symptoms are similar to those of other childhood diseases, making diagnosis difficult.
- Common signs HLH
- Additional symptoms of HLH
- Life-threatening signs of HLH
What is hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis?
Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH) is an aggressive and lethal immune condition. Your immune system protects you from diseases and maintains your health. In HLH, the immune system gets confused, and on rare occasions and it works too hard, causing severe tissue damage and inflammation. Sometimes, the immune system does not function properly and puts people at risk for life-threatening infections.
- Histiocytes are the aberrant cells found in HLH. Histiocytes are a common form of white blood cell that can be found in the blood and organs, such as the liver, spleen, and lymph nodes. Normal histiocytes help manage infections and remove dead cells from the body.
- HLH-affected histiocytes become hyperactive and begin attacking the body's tissues as if they were outside invaders. This may lead to injury of the brain, liver, and bone marrow.
- HLH causes histiocytes to misidentify other cells as infections and make them discharge chemicals into the blood. This disoriented histiocyte population frequently congregates in inappropriate locations, which may lead to organ damage and multiple organ failure.
Most people with HLH are infants and young children. Seventy percent of HLH begin before the child is one year old. If left untreated, HLH can soon turn fatal. It is essential to recognize the problem and begin therapy as soon as possible because of the potential for rapid progression.
What are the types of HLH?
There are two types of hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH), which include:
- Primary (familial) HLH: Originates due to a genetic mutation. The symptoms of primary HLH often manifest in the first few years of life and are genetically predisposed to the child from birth. Rarely do the symptoms develop in adulthood.
- Secondary HLH: This might appear when you have an underlying medical condition that affects your immune system functions. Secondary HLH is frequently caused by cancers, infections (Epstein-Barr virus is the most common), and autoimmune illnesses. Secondary HLH is more common than primary HLH.
What causes HLH?
Primary or familial hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH) is caused by inherited genetic abnormalities in the PRF1, MUNC13-4, STXBP2, STX11, and STXBP2 genes. Familial HLH accounts for 25 percent of HLH instances. If both parents are hereditary carriers, a child has a 25 percent chance of developing HLH, a 25 percent chance of not developing HLH, and a 50 percent chance of being a carrier.
Several factors can contribute to acquired or secondary HLH, such as:
How to diagnose hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis
The symptoms of hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH) are so uncommon that many medical professionals are unaware. Early in the illness, HLH may resemble a few different malignancies, such as leukemia and lymphoma.
Only accurate blood tests in a suitable clinical situation can diagnose HLH.
The following tests are necessary to diagnose HLH and plan a unique treatment strategy:
- Blood tests: Include measurements of the number of blood cells, liver health, examinations of infections, and indicators of immune system arousal (such as ferritin and soluble IL-2 receptor levels).
- Aspiration and biopsy: Bone marrow is examined.
- Lumbar puncture: Cerebrospinal fluid is examined to determine whether HLH is impacting the brain.
- Imaging analyses: X-rays, CT scans, ultrasounds, and MRIs are a few examples.
- Comprehensive genetic testing.
What is the treatment for hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis?
Hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis could be lethal if left untreated. Early diagnosis and treatment are crucial.
The most prevalent therapies include:
- A steroid medication, such as dexamethasone
- Chemotherapy (etoposide) is administered directly into the spinal fluid (also called intrathecal therapy)
- Antibiotics or antiviral medications to prevent or treat infections
- Immunoglobulin, a substance made from human blood plasma that contains antibodies
- Immunosuppressive medications, such as cyclosporine
- Stem cell transplant
Childhood Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis. https://www.dana-farber.org/childhood-hemophagocytic-lymphohistiocytosis/
What Is Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis (HLH)? https://www.chp.edu/our-services/rare-disease-therapy/conditions-we-treat/hlh-syndromes
Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/24292-hemophagocytic-lymphohistiocytosis#outlook--prognosis
Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis (HLH). https://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/health/h/hlh
Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis (HLH). https://www.rileychildrens.org/health-info/hlh
Top What Are the Symptoms of HLH Disease Related Articles
What Are 5 Signs of a Weak Immune System?What to know about your immune system. Learn about the signs of a weak immune system and how to avoid it.
Anemia: Common Causes, Symptoms, Types, and TreatmentAnemia is a disease marked by low numbers of red blood cells. Low iron deficiency or underlying disease, like cancer, may be to blame. Treatment can resolve anemia.
AnemiaAnemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin in the blood. The oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood is, therefore, decreased. There are several types of anemia such as iron deficiency anemia (the most common type), sickle cell anemia, vitamin B12 anemia, pernicious anemia, and aplastic anemia. Symptoms of anemia may include fatigue, malaise, hair loss, palpitations, menstruation, and medications. Treatment for anemia includes treating the underlying cause for the condition. Iron supplements, vitamin B12 injections, and certain medications may also be necessary.
Can a Weak Immune System Cause Cancer?Your immune system plays a vital role in maintaining your health. Although some cancers are caused by genetic mutations, some other factors like old age and a weakened immune system can also play a significant role in causing the disease.
Can You Live a Long Life With Autoimmune Disease?You may be concerned that your condition will affect your projected lifespan. Most people can expect to live a long life with an autoimmune disease, though.
10 Common Symptoms in Infants and Young ToddlersWatch this slideshow to see common symptoms and home treatment for infant and childhood illnesses including fever, nausea, constipation and more.
HeadacheHeadaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches, and cluster headaches are considered primary headaches. Secondary headaches are caused by disease. Headache symptoms vary with the headache type. Over-the-counter pain relievers provide short-term relief for most headaches.
Headaches QuizIf you're plagued with headaches, our Headaches Quiz may help you identify causes, triggers, symptoms, and treatments for headache pain caused by different types of headaches such as migraines, sinus, cluster, tension, or stress.
How Do You Keep Your Immune System Healthy?Your immune system helps heal and keep you healthy. It is your barrier against illness, infection, and disease. To function properly, your immune system requires a nutritious diet, regular exercise, and a low level of stress.
Jaundice in Adults (Hyperbilirubinemia)Jaundice or hyperbilirubinemia in adults is caused by an underlying disease or condition. Learn about when to worry about jaundice in adults, symptoms, treatment, causes, diagnosis, and prevention.
Jaundice PictureOften, physiologic jaundice -- the type seen in most newborns -- does not require treatment. See a picture of Jaundice and learn more about the health topic.
Keep Your Immune System Healthy With COVID-19Strong immunity is pivotal for the prevention and complete recovery from COVID-19. Here are eight tips to boost your immunity and reduce your risk of serious COVID-19 illness.
Newborn Jaundice (Neonatal Jaundice)Jaundice in newborns and babies (neonatal jaundice) usually occurs because of a normal increase in red blood cell breakdown and the fact that their immature livers are not efficient at removing bilirubin from the bloodstream. Symptoms of jaundice are fever, poor feeding, and looking ill. Newborn jaundice is very common and is caused because the newborn's liver isn’t mature enough to remove bilirubin from the blood. Treatment of jaundice in newborns includes phototherapy, tanning booths, and other treatments.
Kids' Skin ProblemsWhat are the most common skin rashes in children? Learn about childhood eczema, ring worm, chicken pox and more. Get the facts on treatment for childhood skin problems.
What Are the Different Autoimmune Disorders?An autoimmune disorder occurs when a person’s immune system mistakenly attacks their own body tissues such as the skin or joints considering them as foreign.