What are the benefits of squats?
Squats are a simple and effective exercise that focuses on multiple muscle groups. While performing squats, you are working your
- Core muscles
- Back muscles
The benefits of squats include
- Improved blood circulation in the lower body
- Improved strength of the core muscles
- Stronger lower spinal muscles
- Enhanced athletic performance
- Improved aesthetic appearance
- Enhanced fat burning
- Slimmer legs and stronger knees
- Improved mobility and balance to perform day-to-day activities
- Boost your mind-body connection
How do you perform squats?
You can perform a simple and effective squat by
- Standing with your body facing forward and keeping your feet parallel to your shoulders.
- Keeping the distance between your feet a few inches apart with your toes pointing slightly outward.
- Lowering your body until your thighs are parallel to the floor.
- Keeping your chest upright with your head and face forward.
- Pausing for a second and then coming back to the original position.
- Repeating this 20 times for effective results.
What are the different types of squats?
There are many ways to perform squats. The different types of squats include
- Back squats: To perform back squats, you need to
- Place a barbell in a squat rack, just below your shoulder height.
- Move under the bar to put it behind the neck across the top of the back.
- Grasp the bar with the hands wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Stand up to lift the bar off the rack and step backward.
- Place the feet a little wider than the shoulder-width apart.
- Sit back into the hips and keep the back straight and the chest up, squatting down, so the hips are below the knees.
- Overhead squats: Overhead squats can be performed as follows
- Stand tall with your feet slightly wider apart.
- Hold one medicine ball above your head throughout the exercise.
- With the arms above, slowly bend at the hips and keep the back straight while lowering into a squat.
- At the bottom of the squat, push both feet into the ground to return to the standing position.
- Squat jacks: You will perform this squat in two parts
- With the feet together, lower down into a squat position.
- Jump both the legs out without changing the squat position.
- Jump both the legs in.
- Repeat this exercise for 15 to 20 seconds.
- Squat jumps: You will perform these squats by
- Standing tall with your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Squatting down until your thighs are slightly higher than your knees.
- Pushing yourself upward to lift your feet off the ground.
- Landing with soft, bent knees and coming back into the squat position.
- Side-step squats: You will perform these squats in four parts
- With your feet together, lower down into a squat position.
- Being in this position, step your right leg out to the side.
- Make sure to distribute your weight equally between both the legs.
- Continue to stay in the squat position and close the left leg to the right.
- Stand up.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
The American Council on Exercise
Top What Are the Benefits of Squats Related Articles
Most Effective ExercisesThese seven exercises deliver fitness results at home or in the gym. Start your training to better physical health with the most effective exercises chosen by our experts.
8 Effective Exercises to Burn Stomach FatOne can lose stomach fat by adhering to a strict diet plan, exercise regime, and lifestyle modifications. It’s normal to want to get rid of stomach fat fast, but it is not possible to reduce fat. Hence, losing stomach fat requires a mix of various exercises such as resistance training or high-intensity aerobic exercise, along with a healthy diet, which help lose body weight, including stomach fat.
How to Build a Better ButtWant a rear view that kicks butt? Discover the right exercises, cardio, and style choices that can help in the quest for the perfect butt.
FitnessRegular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety. There are fitness programs that fit any age or lifestyle.
Fitness Facts SlideshowThe best way to lose weight? These fast facts show weight loss is possible for everyone trying to lose weight. From calories to fitness, learn the secret to weight loss.
Exercise QuizTake our Exercise and Fitness Quiz and learn to maximize your fitness level with simple exercises that do not require major changes to your lifestyle.
No-Gym Home WorkoutLearn about this no-gym, at home quick workout. It can get you into great shape at home and shows the best moves for flat abs and total body fitness without costly fitness and exercise equipment.
What Are the Four Most Important Types of Exercises?Exercise is the key to a healthy life. When it comes to exercise, it does not mean only the strenuous ones and exercising at the gym. Exercise also includes stretching and balancing acts.
Is Muscle Twitching Normal After Exercise?Many people find that their muscles twitch after exercise. Learn the signs of muscle twitches, what causes muscle twitches, how doctors diagnose muscle twitches, and what you can do to treat muscle twitches.
What Does a Goblet Squat Work?The goblet squat is one of the most effective exercises to build lower body strength. It also works on the upper body and the core. It engages and helps tone the muscles of the core, back, forearms, and to an extent, the shoulders and upper back.