Benefits of eating raspberries include
- Rich in antioxidants, essential vitamins, and minerals: Fresh raspberries are among the top sources of antioxidants. Black raspberries offer the most antioxidants, followed by red and then golden raspberries.
- Antioxidants stabilize free radicals, making them harmless.
- Raspberries also provide potassium, which is essential for heart function and lowers blood pressure.
- Omega-3 fatty acids in raspberries can help prevent stroke and heart disease.
- Moreover, raspberries contain a mineral called manganese, which is necessary for healthy bones and skin and helps regulate blood sugar.
- Anti-inflammatory properties of the berries may help prevent arthritis and Alzheimer’s disease.
Promote heart health:
- Raspberries contain anthocyanins, which suppress inflammation that may lead to cardiovascular disease.
- Because raspberries contain a good amount of fiber, they can help keep cholesterol levels down by reducing total and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol concentrations.
Support healthy weight management:
- Two cups of fresh raspberries contain only 128 calories but provide 16 grams of high-quality fiber. The fiber content supports weight loss by reducing the number of calories absorbed and improving the body's sense of fullness.
Slow down the aging process:
- Raspberries are high in antioxidants, which can help reduce signs of aging by fighting free radicals in the body.
- They are also high in vitamin C, which is necessary for healthy skin, and may improve collagen production. In the skin, collagen formation is carried out mostly by the fibroblasts in the dermis. Vitamin C helps stimulate collagen production by increasing the proliferation rate of fibroblasts.
Help relieve inflammation:
- Raspberries contain polyphenols that have anti-inflammatory effects. Polyphenols help regulate cellular activities in the inflammatory cells and activities of enzymes involved in the production of other proinflammatory molecules.
- Raspberries are enriched with fiber. Fiber can help lower blood sugar, cholesterol, and blood pressure. Foods high in fiber are more satisfying and make a person feel full for a longer time after a meal.
Nutritional facts of raspberries
Raw raspberries are 86 percent water. Raspberries are a low-glycemic-index food, with a total sugar content of only 4 percent and no starch. One cup of fresh red raspberries contains
- Calories: 64
- Protein: 1 gram
- Fat: >1 gram
- Carbohydrates: 14 grams
- Fiber: 8 grams
- Sugar: 5 grams
Strawberries also contain vitamin C, iron, and manganese, and about 1.5 grams of proteins/cup.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Top What Are the Benefits of Raspberries? Related Articles
High-Sugar FruitsSugar content in fruit varies. High-sugar fruits include mangoes, pears, grapes, cherries, bananas, figs, and watermelon. Low-sugar fruits include avocados, guava, raspberries, cantaloupe, papayas, and strawberries.
Is Jackfruit Bad for Humans?Jackfruit is an exotic fruit grown in tropical regions and native to the southern part of India. It’s available in other parts of the world, including the United States. Jackfruit is the largest tree fruit, reaching up to 35 kg in weight. Jackfruit has a dull green, spiky outer skin, which is not eaten, and the edible part of the fruit (the flesh or fruit pods) lies inside, which is light yellow in color and has a rubbery texture.
Best & Worst JuicesAlthough the best kinds of juice deliver a bounty of vitamins, the worst are hardly better than liquid candy. Learn to distinguish between the healthy juices and the unhealthy diet wreckers here.
Exotic Fruits SlideshowExotic fruits like acai, guava, and papaya are loaded with vitamins and other nutrients. Learn when these exotic fruits are ripe, how to prepare them and what nutrition they offer.
What Does a Star Fruit Taste Like?Star fruit, also known as carambola or Averrhoa Starfruit, is widely distributed around the world but is more popular in tropical areas, such as India, Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Philippines.
What Does Jackfruit Meat Taste Like?Typical jackfruit meat consists of the unripe jackfruit pod. It is tasteless and it has a fibrous texture. Jackfruit meat takes on the flavor of the spices that it is cooked with.
Pregnant? Don't Eat ThisDo you know which common foods may be risky during pregnancy? Learn which foods to avoid, while pregnant, such as queso dip, lunch meat, coffee and more.