Wellness is more than being physically and mentally fit. It is a complete integration of physical, mental, and spiritual well-being.
Wellness helps you:
- Fuel your body.
- Engage your mind.
- Nurture your spirit.
Being in good health does not guarantee wellness. Wellness is about taking care of yourself, the people you care about, and those who care for you. When you are in good health and ensure your well-being, you can be a productive and content soul in this world.
Wellness comprises eight interdependent areas that need utmost attention, which include:
- The physical area involves caring for your body to remain healthy.
- Healthy behaviors, such as adequate exercise, proper nutrition, and abstaining from harmful substances, such as alcohol and smoke, can improve your physical wellness.
- Regular checkups and identifying symptoms of the disease are known to prevent the risk of most diseases.
- Here are some ways to achieve physical wellness:
- Regular exercise
- Getting adequate sleep
- Control your portion size
- Consuming healthy foods from different food groups
- Avoid smoking and exposure to secondhand smoke
- Use alcohol in moderation, if at all
- Learn to identify early signs of a disease
- Use a helmet or seatbelt while driving
- Practicing safer sex using condoms
- The intellectual area involves stimulating your creative side. The mind needs to be constantly inspired and exercised in the same way as the body.
- An intellectual mind always seeks to learn more with the available resources. Thus, they keep their minds engaged and expand their knowledge and skills.
- Here are some ways to achieve intellectual wellness:
- Try to include learning as part of your hobby
- Take up mentally stimulating hobbies
- Read books with good messages
- Interact with people who can stimulate you to think
- Travel around the world to learn about different cultures
- Try learning a foreign language
- Take a course or workshop
- The emotional area involves learning the art of managing your emotions positively and empathizing with people around you.
- Emotional wellness should include optimism, self-esteem, self-acceptance, and the ability to share feelings.
- Try out the following techniques to boost your emotional wellness:
- The social area involves learning ways to live in harmony with society. It means practicing good communication skills, developing intimate bonds with others, and creating a strong network of friends and family members.
- Some ways to achieve social wellness include:
- Sharing your talents and skills
- Contributing something toward the society
- Cultivating healthy relationships in your neighborhood and workplace
- Trying to catch up with your friends and staying in touch with them
- Volunteering in social organizations
- Working with people with similar interests for some social cause
- The spiritual area involves connecting with your inner self and finding the true purpose of your life with or without organized religion.
- To achieve this, you should know to:
- Appreciate the beauty of everything
- Try to bring harmony between your inner self and external forces
- Some tips and suggestions for spiritual wellness include:
- Always live by your ethics and moral values
- Spend time alone to investigate your inner self
- Practice meditation and mind-relaxing techniques
- Always give your maximum in everything you do
- Understand and accept uniqueness in yourself and others
- Engage in activities that give you peace and contentment
- Vocational area refers to getting involved in an occupation that enriches you and provides personal satisfaction.
- Your unique skills, talents, and gifts are utilized in the most effective way to bring out maximum productivity in your occupation.
- Here are some ways to improve your vocational wellness:
- Choose your career options after exploring your choices
- Always have a vision for your future
- Choose a career that suits your interest, personality, and talents
- Always be updated in your field
- Be open to change
- Develop team spirit by communicating with your team members
- The financial area involves managing your resources to live within your budget, making wise investment choices, and avoiding huge debts.
- Some ways to bring financial wellness include:
- Avoid extravaganza if you can barely afford it
- Setting your budget goals
- Manage your finances prudently
- Invest smartly and save for emergencies
- Avoid huge debts
- Learn about budgeting and managing your taxes
- The environmental area involves being connected to nature and modifying your habits that may negatively affect the earth.
- Some ways you can become socially responsible and contribute toward your earth include:
- Minimize the use of water and other natural resources
- Reduce the chemical use
- Reduce, reuse and recycle
- Keep your environment clean
Summary of dimensions of wellness chart
Why is wellness so important?
Wellness is essential in a person’s life due to the following reasons:
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Stoewen DL. Dimensions of wellness: Change your habits, change your life. Can Vet J. 2017;58(8):861-862. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5508938/
University of California, Davis. Eight Dimensions of Wellness. https://shcs.ucdavis.edu/health-and-wellness/eight-dimensions-wellness
Top What Are the 8 Areas of Wellness Related Articles
Happiness QuizTake the Happiness Quiz! Plenty of people live in pleasant, fulfilling satisfaction. Is it sex or money that factors into happier lives and long-term bliss? Take the quiz and find out for yourself!
How Does Blue Light Affect Mental Health?Blue light can affect mental health by interfering with the way our brain regulates mood, emotions and sleep. Excessive blue light can cause sleep and mood disorders, leading to depression.
How Grief Can Affect Your HealthGrief is a natural part of life, but it can cause some health issues, at least for a while. Find out how grief can affect your body and what you can do about it.
Is Journaling Good for Mental Health?Journaling is the process of writing down your thoughts, ideas, and feelings. While writing your way out of depression might not be possible, journaling may help lower symptoms of depression.
Mental HealthMental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under the umbrella of mental illness. Depression, anxiety, and substance-abuse disorders are common types of mental illness. Symptoms and signs of mental illness include irritability, moodiness, insomnia, headaches, and sadness. Treatment may involve psychotherapy and medication.
Mental Health: Signs You're Mentally ExhaustedAre you irritable, tired, and finding it hard to focus? You may be mentally exhausted. Learn the signs and how to feel better.
What Are the 5 Signs of Mental Illness?Mental illness or mental health disorders are a wide range of conditions affecting mental health. Mental disorders affect mood, thinking, and behavior of individuals. Some common mental disorders include anxiety, depression, addiction, eating disorders (anorexia and bulimia), and schizophrenia.
What are the 8 Secrets of a Happy Family?The definition of “family” has become more diverse, and your family may look different than other families. Whoever makes up your family, though, there are habits happy families share, and habits unhappy families share.
When Should You Tell Someone You Have a Mental Illness?When you decide to discuss mental illness with anyone in your life, make a plan for what you want to say.
Mental Health: Where to Get Mental Health HelpWhen you think of mental health, lying on a couch in a therapist’s office may come to mind. But there are other options, and some are low-cost or even free. Here’s what you need to know.