Different types of exercises
Exercise has incredible physical benefits. It can help improve your mental health and reduce your risk for many illnesses. If you are a beginner in the world of exercise, it can be overwhelming and difficult to know where to begin. However, some exercises are more effective than others.
The best type of exercise is exercise that you do regularly and that incorporates many different types of workouts. The different types of training you should incorporate into your routine or broader exercise regime are:
- Aerobic exercise. These are types of exercise that bring your heart rate and breathing up. They help your heart, lungs, and circulatory system and improve your overall fitness level. These exercises can include speed walking, jogging, swimming, or biking.
- Strength training. These exercises make your muscles stronger. Examples are weight lifting and using a resistance band.
- Balance. Engaging in exercises that build your balance makes walking and preventing falls much easier. Workouts that have you stand on one long or otherwise test your balance are ideal for this.
- Flexibility. Stretching out your muscles helps you to stay limber and gives you mobility. Doing yoga or other stretches is excellent for improving your flexibility.
The most effective exercises
The seven most effective exercises for the vast majority of people are:
- Swimming. This is one of the most efficient workouts you can do. While you swim, your joints are buoyed by the water, and you can move more fluidly than you can outside of the water. Swimming also incorporates aerobic and strength training at the same time. A bonus is that swimming can improve your mood.
- Tai chi. A Chinese martial art, tai chi uses movement and relaxation for both your body and mind. Often called “meditation in motion.” You can expect to learn various activities that flow into each other. Tai chi can be practiced at all levels and is so versatile that most bodies and body types will do it. If you are just starting, you should look into finding a class in your local community. Tai chi gives you aerobic exercise, strength training, and balance training.
- Resistance training. Things like lifting weights will make you strong, help burn calories, and may help preserve brain functioning for longer in your life. However, you must start slowly and correctly. Start with light weights, just one or two pounds per weight. Then, gradually increase your weights after about two weeks after getting to a place where you can comfortably lift the weight in all ranges.
- Walking. Easy does it in this case. Walking is actually a powerful way to stay in shape and helps you stay fit. It has been shown to improve cholesterol, strengthen your bones, keep blood pressure down, lift your mood, and lower your risk of disease. Studies on walking have also shown that it helps with memory and avoiding age-related memory loss. Just make sure to purchase shoes that are supportive and comfortable. Start slowly and aim to walk for around an hour most days of the week.
- Kegels. Unlike other exercises, Kegels strengthen the pelvic floor muscles and help prevent incontinence. While Kegels are most popular with women, men are also able to do them. Simply squeeze the muscles you use when trying not to pass gas or urinate. Hold them for three seconds, then unsqueeze them. Do this four to five times per day.
- Active lifestyle. You don’t need to lift lots of weights, have a personal trainer, activewear, or anything else to exercise. Simply engaging in activities like raking your lawn, dancing, or playing with your children can count as exercise. Just make sure to get in thirty minutes a day of aerobic activity and try to engage in strength training around twice a week.
- Sneak exercise into your daily life. If you work in an office or live a generally sedentary lifestyle, you can always get exercise in strategic and unique ways. For example, if you have a coffee break, choose to buy your coffee at the farthest place you possibly can. Try to take the stairs instead of the elevator at least a couple of times a week. Suggest holding meetings on walks rather than sitting stationary. Try to seek a co-worker in their office by walking to them instead of texting or emailing them. Again, you don’t need to hit the gym every day to exercise. In fact, less intense yet more constant exercise is often healthier for your body.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
HealthLinkBC: "Exercise and Physical Activity Ideas."
U.S. National Library of Medicine: "Exercise and Physical Fitness."
Top What Are 7 of the Most Effective Exercises Related Articles
10 Exercises You Can Do in BedExercising in bed is an efficient way to get in your recommended dose of physical activity if you've got an especially demanding schedule or are tight on time.
Most Effective ExercisesThese seven exercises deliver fitness results at home or in the gym. Start your training to better physical health with the most effective exercises chosen by our experts.
8 Effective Exercises to Burn Stomach FatOne can lose stomach fat by adhering to a strict diet plan, exercise regime, and lifestyle modifications. It’s normal to want to get rid of stomach fat fast, but it is not possible to reduce fat. Hence, losing stomach fat requires a mix of various exercises such as resistance training or high-intensity aerobic exercise, along with a healthy diet, which help lose body weight, including stomach fat.
What Is the Best Exercise to Get Rid of Love Handles?Love handles refer to the layers of fat present around the middle (waist) of a person’s body. To get rid of love handles, you need to achieve overall fat loss from the body. Perform regular cardio workouts such as walking, jogging, running or dancing.
FitnessRegular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety. There are fitness programs that fit any age or lifestyle.
Exercise QuizTake our Exercise and Fitness Quiz and learn to maximize your fitness level with simple exercises that do not require major changes to your lifestyle.
Fitness and Exercise: Best Exercises for Weight LossIf you’re trying to lose weight, some exercises might be better than others. Check out these 11 choices you can put in your workout routine.
Fitness: Exercises for a Healthy HeartRegular exercise can help reduce the risk of heart disease. To achieve maximum benefits, do a mix of stretching exercises, aerobic activity, and strengthening exercise. Aim to get 20 to 30 minutes of aerobic exercise at least three to four times a week. Consult a doctor before exercising for the first time, especially if you have health problems.
What Are the Four Most Important Types of Exercises?Exercise is the key to a healthy life. When it comes to exercise, it does not mean only the strenuous ones and exercising at the gym. Exercise also includes stretching and balancing acts.
Exercises for Seniors: Tips for Core, Balance, StretchingExercise for seniors is important for healthy and successful aging. Learn about core strengthening, balance exercises, and stretching and relaxation routines. See what happens to our bodies as we age, how to start exercising, and the benefits of exercising as a senior.
How Do You Know if You're Addicted to Exercise?Exercise and fitness are good for your body and mind. You know you are addicted to exercise when you develop an unhealthy obsession with exercise and fitness.
Budget-Friendly FitnessThere are plenty of cheap and free ways to exercise. Learn about inexpensive ways to get in shape with the use of jump ropes, hand weights, resistance bands, stability balls, and more.
What Are the Best Abdominal Exercises?Abdominal exercises strengthen the core muscle groups, including the rectus abdominis, obliques, transversus abdominis, which wraps around the spine.
What Is the Best Time of Day to Exercise?Exercise is one of the best things you can do to boost the health of your body and mind. The best time of day to exercise is whenever is best for you.