In the United States, ribs usually refer to pork ribs or beef ribs.
The different cuts of pork ribs include:
- Spare ribs: It comes from the belly behind the shoulder.
- Back ribs: It comes from the loin section of the pig. Back ribs are the remnants after cutting the loin meat. These ribs are tasty, small, and easy to hold. They tend to be a bit fattier than other styles but taste great when done right.
- St Louis ribs: The spare ribs are trimmed to a rectangle shape instead of a triangle that makes it easier to cut and handle. Although you may lose some of the good meat with this style of cutting.
Fresh pork ribs can be kept in the refrigerator (40 °F) for 3-5 days. You can store for about six months inside a freezer (0 °F).
For beef ribs, there are two different cuts for beef ribs, which include:
- Back ribs: It comes from the rib section of the cow and is similar to pork ribs. Back ribs do not contain much meat as compared to short ribs.
- Short ribs: It comes from the plate part of the cow. Short ribs are located lower down on the chest and have more meat than back ribs. When cooked to perfection, short ribs are tender and flavorful. The short ribs are priced higher because they are a small part of the rack of beef ribs.
Fresh beef ribs can be kept in the refrigerator (44 °F) for 3-5 days. If you are keeping it in the freezer (0 °F), you can keep it for up to 12 months.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Patterson KY, Trainer D, Holden JM, Howe JC. USDA Nutrient Data Set for Fresh Pork. United States Department of Agriculture. https://www.ars.usda.gov/ARSUserFiles/80400525/data/pork/pork09.pdf
Top What Animal Is Ribs From? Related Articles
The Dangers of Processed MeatProcessed meats like pepperoni, beef jerky, and chicken nuggets are associated with an increased risk of health problems like colon cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. That's why many doctors recommend avoiding them to reduce cancer risks and other health risks.
Diet and Nutrition: What Happens When You Stop Eating MeatLearn what can happen to your body, wallet, and the environment when you switch to a meatless diet.
What Does Jackfruit Meat Taste Like?Typical jackfruit meat consists of the unripe jackfruit pod. It is tasteless and it has a fibrous texture. Jackfruit meat takes on the flavor of the spices that it is cooked with.