West Nile virus (West Nile encephalitis) is a brain infection caused by a virus. People become infected with the virus after they're bitten by a mosquito that has fed off of a bird that's infected with the West Nile virus. Symptoms in humans include fever, headache, rash, body ache, and swollen lymph nodes. Treatment for a West Nile virus infection involves supportive care. Read more: West Nile Virus Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of West Nile Virus
The mosquito-borne virus that causes West Nile fever. One of the flaviviruses, a family of viruses also responsible for dengue,...
Viral Infection Types, Treatment, and Prevention
Watch this slideshow on Viral Infections and learn about types, treatment, and prevention of illnesses caused by viruses....
West Nile Virus Infection: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
Watch this slideshow on West Nile Virus (encephalitis). Spread by mosquitoes that feed on infected birds, learn about causes,...
Zika Virus Symptoms, Pregnancy, Treatments, Vaccine
A quick guide to the Zika virus, its causes, symptoms, and treatment options. Find out how Zika is transmitted by mosquitoes,...
Related Disease Conditions
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
Swollen Lymph Nodes (Causes, Locations, Symptoms, Treatments)
Lymph nodes help the body's immune system fight infections. Causes of swollen lymph nodes (glands) may include infection (viral,...
Headaches can be divided into two categories: primary headaches and secondary headaches. Migraine headaches, tension headaches,...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Tremor is the involuntary movements of one or more parts of the body. Causes of tremor include neurological disorders,...
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Ticks are known transmitters of disease to humans and animals. Tick-borne diseases include Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted...
Encephalitis is a brain inflammation that causes sudden fever, vomiting, headache, light sensitivity, stiff neck and back,...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Zika Virus (Zika Fever)
The Zika virus is transmitted by the bite of an infected Aedes mosquito. Symptoms and signs of a Zika virus infection include...
Insomnia (Symptoms, Causes, Remedies, and Cures)
Insomnia is the perception or complaint of inadequate or poor-quality sleep because of difficulty falling asleep; waking up...
Bug Bites and Stings
Bug bites and stings have been known to transmit insect-borne illnesses such as West Nile virus, Rocky Mountain spotted fever,...
West Nile Virus - Cause
How did you get West Nile virus? Were you traveling when you became ill?Post View 6 Comments
West Nile Virus - Treatment
What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you or someone you know receive for West Nile virus?Post View 6 Comments
West Nile Virus - Signs and Symptoms
What were the signs and symptoms you experienced with West Nile virus?Post View 14 Comments
West Nile Virus - Community Risk
How does your at-risk community help prevent outbreaks of West Nile virus?Post
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Fatigue, Tiredness, and Lethargy
- Swollen Lymph Nodes (Lymphadenopathy)
- Memory Loss
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- West Nile Virus
- West Nile Virus and Insect Borne Diseases
Prevention & Wellness
- West Nile's Long-Term Bite: Impact on Brain May Last Years
- Some U.S. Olympians Got West Nile in Brazil, But Not Zika
- Harvey's Floodwaters Harbor Many Health Hazards
- Not All Mosquitoes Need Standing Water to Breed: Study
- New Technology Makes Gene Mapping Cheaper, Faster: Study
- Drought May Beckon Bigger West Nile Outbreaks
- Lab Vaccine Shields Mice Against Zika Virus
- U.S. Death Toll From Infectious Diseases Unchanged: Study
- West Nile's Long-Term Death Toll May Be Higher Than Thought
- DNA-Based Vaccine Guards Against Zika in Monkey Study
- When It Comes to West Nile, Robins Do It, Cardinals Don't
- Latin America Zika Outbreak Should 'Burn Out' Within 3 Years, Scientists Say
- Study Suggests Aerial Pesticide Spraying Tied to Higher Autism Rates
- Zika Coming: Some of U.S. Lacks Mosquito Control
- Zika Virus: What You Should Know
- West Nile Virus Most Common Mosquito-Borne Illness in U.S.
- As Mosquito-Borne Illnesses Threaten U.S., Less Money Spent Fighting Them
- New System Targets Germs in Donated Blood Plasma
- EPA Unveils New Bug Repellant Labeling
- 1st Case of Locally Acquired Chikungunya Virus Reported in U.S.
- Guard Your Kids Against Bug Bites This Summer
- Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus May Be Headed for U.S.
- Health Tip: Keep Mosquitoes at Bay
- West Nile Virus Has Cost U.S. Nearly $800 Million: CDC
- Texas Woman's Death Highlights Danger of Overlooking Dengue Fever
- 'Microparticles' Show Promise in Healing Damaged Hearts
- Scientists Seek to Take Bite Out of Mosquito Problem
- Asian Tiger Mosquito Could Spread U.S. Disease
- 2012 Texas West Nile Outbreak Linked to Mild Winter
- West Nile Spraying Safe in Short Term: Study
- Unusual Heat May Have Boosted West Nile Virus Last Year: CDC
- Survival of 'Obamacare' Tops List of Biggest Health News in 2012
- Immune System May Not Weaken With Age: Study
- Latest West Nile Tally: 5,245 Cases, 236 Deaths
- Worst-Ever West Nile Epidemic: What Happened?
- CDC: West Nile Toll Now 5,054 Cases, 228 Deaths
- West Nile Cases Pass 4,700 Mark Nationwide: CDC
- West Nile Cases Pass 4,500 Mark Nationwide: CDC
- West Nile Cases Continue to Climb, CDC Says
- West Nile Cases Continue to Climb, CDC Says
- West Nile Cases Rise by 400 Since Last Week: CDC
- West Nile Cases Still Rising; Death Toll Now at 134, CDC Says
- West Nile Up 35%, but CDC Says Peak Has Passed
- Health Tip: Protect Kids From Mosquito Bites
- West Nile Death, Paralysis Toll Climbs
- Beyond Statistics: 2 Faces of West Nile Virus
- Hurricane Isaac Could Stir Up Allergies, Asthma
- West Nile Virus Cases Continue to Climb
- West Nile Virus: Who's at Risk?
- West Nile Outbreak on Track to be Worst Ever
- New West Nile Threat: Kidney Disease
- Dallas Launches Insecticide Spraying Against West Nile Virus
- North Texas Cities to Start West Nile Spraying Thursday
- Dallas-Fort Worth Brace for West Nile Spraying
- West Nile Virus on the Rise in US: CDC
- West Nile Virus: Questions and Answers
- CDC Warns of Another Emerging Tick-Borne Threat
- Robins Are 'Super-Spreaders' of West Nile Virus, Expert Says
- West Nile Virus in 15 States
- Course of West Nile Infection Charted
- Researchers Find Genes That Influence West Nile Virus
- 117 West Nile Deaths in 2007
- Gene Protects Against HIV, But Ups Risk for West Nile Virus
- Mosquitos: How to Choose Use Insect Repellents Safely
- West Nile, Avoid Mosquito Bites to Avoid Infection
- Hurricane: Protection from Animal & Insect Related Hazards After a Natural Disaster
- Hurricane: After a Hurricane: Key Facts About Infectious Disease
- Are You a Mosquito Magnet?
- West Nile: Five Common Myths about West Nile Virus
- West Nile Virus: Test for Diagnosis
- Diseases from Animals: A Primer
- Diseases from Animals -- Why Now?
- Diseases From Animals -- What's Next?
- West Nile & Dialysis, a Medical Mystery
- Positive Living Series: Looking After Yourself
- West Nile, A Pregnancy Danger?
- Mosquitoes Not Impressed - Repellant No Good
- West Nile Virus Teleconference from CDC
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter