There are lots of ways to lose weight. The question is, how do you lose weight and keep it off? Read more: Weight Management Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Kidney Stones: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
What causes kidney stones? Learn to recognize the symptoms and signs of kidney stone pain. Explore kidney stone treatment and how...
Health Screening Tests Every Woman Needs
What is a health screening? Why is it important to know your blood pressure? How long will your health screening take? Learn...
Surprising Reasons for Weight Gain
There are many reasons for sudden weight gain when there are no changes in diet or exercise. Sudden weight gain could be caused...
Fat-Burning Foods in Pictures: Blueberries, Green Tea, and More
Learn about fat-fighting foods such as grapefruit, hot peppers, vinegar, and more. Discover the benefits along with surprising...
How to Lose Weight Fast: Easy Weight Loss Tips
Here are the best ways for men and women to lose weight. Fast facts from experts show weight loss is possible for everyone trying...
Food Portion Distortion Quiz: Correct Serving Size
Are your portions deceiving you? Take the Food Portion Distortion Quiz to find out how and why gigantic portions trick you into...
Childhood Obesity Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Childhood obesity has reached epidemic proportions. Take the Childhood Obesity Quiz to test your knowledge of the facts and...
Belly (Abdominal) Fat Quiz: Test Your Belly Fat IQ
Did you know there is a medical term for belly fat? Find out what it is and learn why getting rid of belly fat may be the best...
Superfoods Quiz: List of Top Superfoods
Take our Superfoods Quiz! Get to know how unprocessed, raw, organic foods and healthy drinks are rich in nutrients and dietary...
How to Lose Weight Without Dieting: 24 Fast Facts
Weight loss without dieting? No diet, no problem. Learn the best way to lose weight with these weight loss tips designed to help...
Pictures of the Belly-Fattening Foods That Men Love
Belly-fattening foods such as chips, beer, doughnuts and fatty red meat can kill a diet. See which foods are tough to resist,...
Skinny Sipping: Best and Worst Drinks for Losing Weight in Pictures
From coffee to cocktails, learn which beverages can help or hinder a healthy lifestyle. See the best and worst drinks for weight...
Diet-Wrecking Foods: Smoothies, Lattes, Popcorn, and More in Pictures
It may seem healthy, but is it really? Many food frauds masquerade as diet food. See 23 foods that seem healthy but can be...
Sugar Addiction Facts: Cravings, Hidden Sugar, and More in Pictures
Learn about sugar addiction to see why we often crave sweets and binge on carbs. Learn how sugar affects the brain and get tips...
Diet Mistake Pictures: Crash Diets, High-Calorie Drinks, and More
Discover 10 common diet mistakes that may be preventing you from losing weight. Learn to avoid these diet blunders and watch the...
10 Metabolism Boosting Facts and Myths
Losing weight by increasing your metabolism is challenging. There are many metabolism myths and only a few surefire tricks to get...
Bad' Foods That Are Good for Weight Loss in Pictures
Some bad foods can be good for weight loss. MedicineNet reveals which tempting foods can actually help you lose weight and keep...
The Worst Foods in Your Fridge
What are the worst foods to eat in your fridge? From mayonnaise to ice cream and butter to processed lunch meats, learn about the...
Snacks With 100 Calories or Less
Reducing calories is an effective weight loss strategy. Here are 25 100-calorie snacks that offer quick, satisfying solutions to...
Food Cravings Slideshow: Chocolate, Carbs, Salt, Sugar
Learn which food cravings can wreck your diet. Whether your craving something creamy or crunchy, sweet or salty, food cravings...
How to Quit Smoking Without Weight Gain
Learn how to avoid weight gain while quitting smoking. Explore what causes weight gain after quitting smoking. See lifestyle...
Pictures of the Best Flat-Abs Moves for Men
Learn the best flat abs moves. If you want a ripped mid-section, learn how to go from flabby to flat abs with the right moves and...
Frighteningly Fattening Fall Foods in Pictures
Learn how to keep your diet in check this fall. Look at some of the season's most fattening foods, along with tips on how to...
Worst-Appetizer Pictures: Spinach Dip, Potato Skins, and More
A tasty appetizer can be a great start to any meal--but some appetizers are diet disasters. Potato skins and cheese fries pack on...
Best & Worst Fast-Food Breakfast Pictures
No matter which fast-food chain you visit, high-fat and high-calorie breakfast choices abound. But healthier fast-food menu...
Most Fattening Foods of Summer: Drinks and Snacks With High Fat or Calories
Summertime living may be easy, but if you're not careful, summer's fattening foods can really pack on the pounds. Discover the...
Grocery Smarts: 'Healthy Fat' Foods for Fitness in Pictures
A healthy diet starts at the grocery store. See which fat foods to avoid and which fit foods to choose....
Holiday Foods 'Naughty List' in Pictures
'Tis the season of temptation. Fortunately, there are ways to avoid the holiday food trap. While Santa makes his list and checks...
Beach Body Essentials: Workouts, Flat Abs, and More With Pictures
Watch this slideshow on beach body essentials for men. Get yourself beach ready before you hit the sand with our visual guide to...
Related Disease Conditions
Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Aureus)
Staphylococcus or Staph is a group of bacteria that can cause a multitude of diseases. Staph infections can cause illness...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
High blood pressure is defined as a pressure of 140/90 mmHg or higher in the arteries. Genetic factors, high salt intake, and...
Stroke (Signs, Symptoms, Warning Signs)
A stroke is an interruption of the blood supply to part of the brain caused by either a blood clot (ischemic) or bleeding...
Heart disease (coronary artery disease) occurs when plaque builds up in the coronary arteries, the vessels that supply blood to...
Insulin resistance is the diminished ability of cells to respond to the action of insulin in transporting glucose (sugar) from...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is a disease that gradually destroys the central vision. In people over 60, AMD is a...
Cholesterol (Lowering Your Cholesterol)
High cholesterol and triglyceride levels increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. Getting your cholesterol and triglyceride...
Diabetes Diet (Type 2)
A type 2 diabetes diet or a type 2 diabetic diet is important for blood sugar (glucose) control in people with diabetes to...
Heart attack happens when a blood clot completely obstructs a coronary artery supplying blood to the heart muscle. A heart attack...
The main features of metabolic syndrome include insulin resistance, hypertension (high blood pressure), cholesterol...
Infertility is the diminished ability to conceive a child. Infertility can be a problem with both men and women. Infertility in...
Post-polio syndrome (PPS) is a group of signs and symptoms that show up two to four decades after the initial polio infection....
Type 1 Diabetes
Type 1 diabetes mellitus (juvenile) is an auto-immune disease with no known cause at this time. Symptoms of type 1 diabetes...
Fast-food consumption and lack of exercise are just a couple of causes of childhood obesity. Health effects of childhood obesity...
Binge Eating Disorder
Characteristics of binge eating disorder include eating more quickly than usual, eating until uncomfortably full, eating a lot of...
Heart Disease in Women
Heart disease in women has somewhat different symptoms, risk factors, and treatment compared to heart disease in men. Many women...
Fitness: Exercise for a Healthy Heart
Regular exercise can help reduce the risk of heart disease. To achieve maximum benefits, do a mix of stretching exercise, aerobic...
Stretch marks occur in the dermis, the elastic middle layer of skin that allows it to retain its shape. When the skin is...
Heart Attacks in Women
Heart disease, particularly coronary artery disease is the leading cause of heart attacks. Women are more likely to die from a...
How to Lower Your Cholesterol
Cholesterol is naturally produced by the body, and is a building block for cell membranes and hormones. Low-density lipoprotein...
Vitamins & Exercise: Heart Attack Prevention Series
Vitamins and exercise can lower your risk for heart attack and heart disease. Folic acid, vitamins, and homocysteine levels are...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Weight Control and Smoking Cessation
One concern smokers have when considering quitting smoking is weight gain. Not everyone will gain weight when they stop smoking....
Disease Prevention in Women
Disease prevention in women includes screening tests that are a basic part of prevention medicine. All screening tests are...
Local ResourcesFind a local Family Physician in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Food Portion Distortion FAQs
- Superfoods FAQs
- Belly Abdominal Fat FAQs
- Childhood Obesity Overweight FAQs
- 7 Ways to Measure Health and Fitness
- Prediabetes Symptoms and Diagnosis
- Weight Management - Maintain a Healthy Weight
- Diet and Women
- 3 Day Diet
- Diet Tips from Dietitians
- Soft Drinks: Help for Soda Lovers
- Dieting and Drinking Alcoholic Beverages
- Avoiding Vacation Weight Gain
- Weight Lifting in Weight Loss (Audio Podcast)
- How to Talk to Your Doctor About Your Diet
- How Do the French Stay Slim?
- Weekend Diet: Your Dietary Downfall?
- Weight Control Secret: Calorie Balance
- Eating and Weight Control: Mindful Eating
- Fit and Fat? What's Important to Your Health
- Snack In A Healthy Way: Avoid Diet Downfall
- Weight Management: Keeping Weight Off Forever
- Weight Control and Aspartame
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- With Stress and Trauma Come Excess Weight
- Holiday Parties Minus the Calorie Crunch
- Call a Snack a Meal, and You're Less Apt to Overeat
- Social Media Can Help Boost Weight Loss Success
- How Foods Labeled 'Healthy' Can Still Make You Fat
- Working Night Shifts May Widen Your Waistline
- Widening Waistlines May Raise Women's Cancer Risk
- 'Fat But Fit' a Myth?
- 'Diet Foods' to Skip
- Here's Why a Soda With That Burger Is Especially Fattening
- Most American Men Qualify as 'Overfat'
- As Your Weight Creeps Up, So Does Your Risk of Heart Failure
- More Evidence That Midlife Weight Gain Harms Your Health
- Resisting the Seduction of a Buffet
- Could Artificial Sweeteners Raise Your Odds for Obesity?
- 7 Ways to Cut 50 Calories Every Day
- Put the Brakes on Mindless Eating
- Thick Middle May Raise Risk of Some Cancers
- Overweight Boys Face Higher Colon Cancer Risk as Adults
- Drink Water, Fight Fat?
- Health Tip: Are You Truly Hungry?
- Dining Out Can Doom a Diet
- Health Tip: Fruit and Veggies May Help Shed Pounds
- A Stressed Life May Mean a Wider Waistline
- Divorce May Shrink an Older Woman's Waistline…
- When Counting Calories, Consider the Cream and Sugar
- What You Don't Know About Cancer Can Kill You
- Language Barrier May Keep Some Hispanics From Good Diabetes Care
- Many Young Adults With High Cholesterol Not on Statins as Recommended
- Health Tip: Using a Food Diary
- How 'Mindful Eating' Can Keep Kids Slim
- Around the World, Holidays Bring Added Pounds
- Do Open Floor Plans Invite Overeating?
- Why the Teen Years May Not Be Lean Years
- 'Obesity Gene' Doesn't Affect Ability to Lose Weight: Report
- Marriage May Help Diabetics Keep Weight Off
- Health Tip: Choose Healthier Sides for Your Barbecue
- Task Force Calls for More Study Into Risks, Benefits of Kids' Cholesterol Screening
- Health Tip: Get Fit While Watching TV
- Obese Teens Take Weight-Loss Surgery in Stride
- College Linemen Larger Than Ever, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Go Easy on the Condiments
- Health Tip: Measure Your Waist Circumference
- Health Tip: Logging What You Eat
- Extra Weight Probably Doesn't Keep You Warm
- FAQ: New 'Stomach Pump' Weight Loss Device
- FDA Approves New Weight-Loss Device
- FDA Unveils Makeover of Nutrition Facts Label
- Stay Lean, Live Longer
- Obese People Trying to Shed Pounds Often Go Up and Down
- 'Paleo' Diet May Help Older Women's Hearts, Waistlines
- Is Type 1 Diabetes Linked to Raised Risk of Certain Cancers?
- Health Tip: Take Stock of Your Eating Habits
- Health Tip: Four Simple Steps for Healthier Eating
- Weight-Loss Surgery Lowered Risk of Heart Attack, Type 2 Diabetes in Study
- Count Bites, Subtract the Pounds
- New Clues to How Gene Affects Women's Body Shape, Diabetes Risk
- For Teens, Late Bedtime May Lead to Weight Gain
- Health Tip: Avoiding the Weight-Loss Rollercoaster
- Diabetes Drug Might Also Help Some Patients Lose Weight
- FAQ: Kids and Picky Eating
- Most Obese People Will Never Reach Normal Weight: Study
- Could a Microbe in Your Gut Help You Lose Weight?
- Dieters May Lose Fewer Pounds When They Choose Their Weight-Loss Plan
- More Evidence That High-Fiber Diet May Curb Type 2 Diabetes Risk
- Moving to a Poorer Neighborhood Might Be Bad for Your Waistline
- High-Protein Diet May Be Dangerous for Those at Risk of Heart Disease
- Why Do More Women Than Men Have Weight-Loss Surgery?
- Just 1 Hour of Daily TV Boosts Kids' Obesity Risk, Study Suggests
- Health Tip: Monitoring Your Weight
- Tackling Obesity May Ease a Dangerous Irregular Heartbeat
- Experts See Place for Weight-Loss Drugs in Obesity Treatment
- Little Change in Fast Food Calorie Counts, Salt Content
- Defective Hormone Linked to Chronic Obesity in Baby
- Health Tip: Don't Turn to Fad Diets to Drop Pounds
- Your Birth Year Could Influence Your Odds for Obesity, Study Suggests
- Health Tip: Why Am I Gaining Weight?
- New Weight Loss Drug Saxenda: FAQ
- Weight Training Key to Battling Belly Fat as You Age: Study
- Even With a Little Weight Gain, Quitting Smoking Is Still Healthier Choice
- Food Rules for Toddlers May Lead to Healthy Eating Habits
- Genes May Determine Body Weight by Shaping Gut Bacteria
- Should You Jump on the Protein Bandwagon?
- Health Tip: When Your Child Needs to Lose Weight
- Teens Who Dine With Their Families May Be Slimmer Adults
- Tall, Heavy 1-Year-Olds May Be at Risk for Obesity Later, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Snacking After School
- Health Tip: Dish Up Healthier Halloween Goodies
- Frequent Dining Out Might Widen Your Waistline, Study Finds
- Dieters May Be Thwarted by Absence of Healthy Foods
- Gut Microbes Tied to Jet Lag, Shift-Work Weight Gain
- If You Do Gain Weight, Polyunsaturated Fats May Prevent Some Damage
- 'To Burn Off Calories in This Soda, Walk 5 Miles'
- Race Doesn't Affect Obesity's Toll on Health
- Health Tip: Are You at a Healthy Weight?
- The Obese Are Frequent Targets for Cyberbullies
- Nerve Blocking Procedure Fails to Impress in Weight Loss Study
- Health Tip: Eating When You're Not Hungry
- 1 in 4 U.S. Kids Underestimate Their Weight, Study Finds
- Make Kids' Weight Loss a Family Affair, Study Suggests
- Parents of Obese Kids Often View Them as Healthy
- Health Tip: Measuring Your Waist
- Fruits, Veggies Not a Magic Bullet for Weight Loss, Study Finds
- FDA: Bee Pollen Weight Loss Products Pose Health Risks
- Diabetes Drug May Spur Weight Loss in Obese Nondiabetics
- More Evidence Ties Poor Sleep to Obesity in Kids
- How to Keep Your Fitness Goals on Track
- Drinking Milk May Slow Knee Arthritis in Women, Study Finds
- The Morning Light May Help You Stay Slim
- 'Grazing' Appears No Better for Weight Loss Than Standard Meals
- A Judgmental Doctor May Make It Hard to Lose Weight
- As Weight Rises in People With Diabetes, So Does Death Risk: Study
- Women More Open to Weight-Loss Surgery
- Food Companies Cut 6.4 Trillion Calories From Supermarket Shelves: Report
- Take Talk of Weight Off the Holiday Menu
- Ear Acupuncture May Hold Promise for Weight Loss
- Could Good Manners Help Spur Holiday Weight Gain?
- Weight Loss Can Combat Irregular Heart Beat, Study Says
- Weight-Loss Surgery Seems to Beat Diet and Exercise
- Health Tip: Avoid Weight Gain at College
- Less-Skilled Weight-Loss Surgeons Often Have Higher Complication Rates: Study
- Gut Bugs May Hold Key to Weight Control, Mouse Study Suggests
- Health Tip: Frame of Mind Key to Losing Weight
- Stigma Overweight People Face Could Spur More Weight Gain
- People May Eat More When Headlines Bear Bad News
- Weight Gain a Risk After Knee Replacement, Study Finds
- Many Primary-Care Doctors Want Help Treating Obesity
- Don't Turn to Holiday Food as a Way to Deal With Stress: Expert
- Fruits Plus Vegetables Equals Happiness?
- 'Yo-Yo' Dieting Won't Harm Long-Term Weight Loss Efforts
- Health Tip: Focus on Healthy Aging
- Many Americans in Denial Over Weight Gain: Study
- Healthy Dieting in Pregnancy May Be Helpful
- 'Bad' Fat May Hurt Brain Function Over Time
- Why You Overeat Even When You're Full
- Type 2 Diabetes in Kids a Challenge to Control
- Health Tip: Managing Weight Gain
- Prescription Meds Can Put on Unwanted Pounds
- Obesity Linked to Worse Fibromyalgia Symptoms
- Lack of ZZZs May Fuel Appetite
- Mindfulness Key to Losing Weight While Eating Out
- Bottom Line: Overeating Boosts Fat, Whatever the Protein Level
- Eating Out Doesn't Have to Mean Excess Calories
- Adult Obesity May Be All in the Family
- Health Tip: Help Your Child Create a Healthy Body Image
- Doctors Not Stressing Follow-Up Plans With Obese Kids
- Obesity Rates Are Increasing in 16 States
- Unhealthy Eating Habits Start Early
- U.S. Is Becoming a Nation of Snackers
- Jenny Craig Nabs ‘Best Diet' Ranking
- Does Parenthood Hurt Your Health?
- Walnut May Be Top Nut for Heart Health
- Diabetes Drug Actos May Also Help Prediabetes
- New Insight on Weight Gain After Prostate Cancer Therapy
- Study Finds Smoking Linked to Breast Cancer Risk
- Fish Oil Counters Chemotherapy Weight Loss
- Moderate Alcohol Drinking May Boost Heart Health
- FDA OKs Lap-Band Surgery for More Patients
- New Guidelines on Women's Heart Risk
- The More Moms Work, the More Kids Gain Weight?
- NSAID Pain Relievers Raise Heart Risks
- Arthritis Doctors Too Often Opt for Drugs, Surgery
- Move More, Gain Less Weight With Age
- FDA Panel Supports New Obesity Drug
- Misperception of Body Weight Poses Health Risks
- Low Grades in U.S. for Eating Fruits and Veggies
- Obese Teens at Risk for Severe Adult Obesity
- Top 20 Fitness Trends for 2011
- Exercise Helps You Sleep
- Weight Loss Pill Meridia Raises Heart Attack, Stroke Risks
- Water May Be Secret Weapon in Weight Loss
- Chocolate May Cut Heart Failure Risk
- Big Waist Increases Death Risk
- Too Much Pregnancy Weight Gain Raises Child's Obesity Risk
- Low-Carb Diets Improve Cholesterol Long Term
- New Type of Diabetes Drug Drops Weight With Blood Sugar
- Inhaled Insulin May Help Treat Diabetes
- Obesity After Age 50 Raises Diabetes Risk
- Pregnant Women Put Fashion Before Foot Health
- Too Much Pregnancy Weight Gain Hurts Child's Heart
- Michelle Obama's Plan to End Childhood Obesity Epidemic
- Infections, Fractures Linked to Acid Reflux Drugs
- Air Pollution Increases Heart Attack, Stroke Risk
- 60% of Bariatric Patients Keep Weight Off
- Overactive Thyroid May Raise Early Stroke Risk
- 12-Week Program Curbs Binge Eating
- Nibble on Chocolate for a Healthier Heart
- Exercise 1 Hour a Day to Avoid Weight Gain
- Drug Plus Weight Counseling Helps Women Quit Smoking
- Good and Bad Health Habits in U.S.
- Onion Cream Treats New Stretch Marks
- Moderate Drinking Linked to Weight Control
- Colorado, California Cities Dominate Slimmest Cities List
- Kids Snacking Too Much
- Low-Fat Diet Tops Low-Carb in Long Run
- Belly Fat Is Culprit in Stroke Gender Gap
- Rise in Chronic Childhood Health Problems
- Cholesterol Facts
- Heart Attack Symptoms in Women
- In One Year, Out the Other
- Weight Loss and Nutrition Myths
- Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Weight Gain: Surprising Reasons You're Gaining
- Body Mass Index: How Accurate is BMI?
- Heart Health Tips From a Top Cardiologist
- Holiday Weight Gain: Beat the Odds
- Overeating: Stop Your Binge Eating
- Breakfast - The Many Benefits
- Italian Diet Secrets to a Healthy Weight
- Weight Gain: Tips to Stop Weight Creep
- Weight Control: Gaining Ground on Weight Gain
- Binge Eating: 6 Strategies to Take Control
- Weight Control: Mindless Eating and Weight Gain
- Fast Food: A Nighttime Trend?
- Weight Control: Ward Off Cravings, Binge Eating
- Weight Maintenance: Keep Your Summer Body
- Nighttime Overeating: The Worst Time to Overeat
- Prescription Drugs Causing Weight Gain?
- Diet-Busting Foods That May Seem Healthy
- Exercise: The Maintain Your Weight Workout
- Workplace Weight Gain: Job Making You Fat?
- Weight Control: Don't Fall Back into Bad Habits
- Weight Management: Is Your Car Making You Fat?
- Weight Maintenance: A Lifetime of Slimness
- Weighing In on Scales: Find Your True Weight
- Overeating: Stop Eating When You're Not Hungry
- Gaining Weight on the Job?
- Hunger Hormones Affect Your Appetite, Weight
- Weight Management: Get Off the Food Roller Coaster
- Portion Sizes Eventually Lead to Weight Gain
- Dieting Dilemma: Keeping Weight Off
- Weight Loss: 4 Keys to Taking & Keeping Weight Off
- Thin -- for Life
- Weekend Weight Gain: Don't Undo Your Diet
- Calories After Age 40
- Fast Food: Can You Indulge Without Guilt?
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter