Weight lifting (resistance exercise) is exercise where muscles contract against an external resistance with the intent of increasing muscle endurance, mass, tone, and/or strength. Types of resistance training include power lifting, Olympic weight lifting, strength training, and weight lifting. Resistance exercise may help lower high blood pressure, improve insulin resistance, and prevent osteoporosis. Read more: Weight Lifting (Resistance Exercise) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
What Is Osteoporosis? Treatment, Symptoms, Medication
Osteoporosis is a disease characterized by low bone mass and density. Osteoporosis causes symptoms of weak, thin, fragile bones....
Pictures of the 7 Riskiest Workout Moves, and How to Improve Them
Working out is supposed to make you healthier--but some exercises can leave your body at risk of pain or injury. Some exercises...
Exercise Tips for Seniors
Exercise for seniors is important for healthy and successful aging. Learn what happens to our bodies as we age, how to start...
Picture of Iliotibial Band (ITB)
The ITB is a ligament that runs along the outside of the thigh -- from the top of the hip to the outside of the knee. See a...
Pictures of 10 Muscle-Building Exercises for Diabetes
Watch this slideshow on Diabetes and Exercise. If you have diabetes, see how strengthening your muscles with these 10 weight...
The 30-Minute Fitness Routine in Pictures
This quick, high-intensity 30-minute workout routine can make you look better and feel better. Discover the right way to do...
Bodybuilding Pictures: Muscle-Building Workout and Diet for Men
Want bulging biceps and a bigger chest? Our experts demonstrate the right moves to help men build bigger muscles with just two...
17 Must-Try Fitness Workouts in Pictures
Learn the latest exercise crazes such as TRX, pole dancing, Zumba, Kangoo jumps, boot camps, exergames and more that are designed...
Pictures of the Best Flat-Abs Moves for Men
Learn the best flat abs moves. If you want a ripped mid-section, learn how to go from flabby to flat abs with the right moves and...
Beach Body Essentials: Workouts, Flat Abs, and More With Pictures
Watch this slideshow on beach body essentials for men. Get yourself beach ready before you hit the sand with our visual guide to...
Related Disease Conditions
Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Aureus)
Staphylococcus or Staph is a group of bacteria that can cause a multitude of diseases. Staph infections can cause illness...
Learn about osteoporosis, a condition characterized by the loss of bone density, which leads to an increased risk of bone...
Lower Back Pain
There are many causes of back pain. Pain in the low back can relate to the bony lumbar spine, discs between the vertebrae,...
Migraine headaches are severe headaches that are sensitive to light, sounds, and smells. Some people who suffer from...
Iliotibial Band Syndrome
Iliotibial band syndrome is an overuse injury of the thigh and knee. Symptoms include knee pain and possible swelling. Treatment...
Osteopenia is a bone condition characterized by bone loss that is not as severe as in osteoporosis. Bone fracture is the typical...
Insulin resistance is the diminished ability of cells to respond to the action of insulin in transporting glucose (sugar) from...
A subconjunctival hemorrhage is bleeding under the eye's conjunctiva. There is usually no obvious cause for a subconjunctival...
Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain condition characterized by symptoms such as fatigue, sleep disturbances, and tender points. Stress...
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS)
Thoracic outlet syndrome is a condition where symptoms are produced from compression of nerves or blood vessels because the...
Torn ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament Tear)
The anterior cruciate ligament helps to prevent the top and bottom of the knee from sliding back and forth. Symptoms and signs of...
Diabetes Diet (Type 2)
A type 2 diabetes diet or a type 2 diabetic diet is important for blood sugar (glucose) control in people with diabetes to...
Hamstring injuries may range from minor strains to major ruptures. A hamstring injury causes spasm, tightness, and tenderness....
The main features of metabolic syndrome include insulin resistance, hypertension (high blood pressure), cholesterol...
Aortic valve stenosis is an abnormal narrowing of the aortic valve of the heart. The causes of aortic stenosis are wear and tear...
IBS-D (Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Diarrhea)
IBS-D or irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea refers to IBS with diarrhea. Symptoms of IBS-D include intestinal gas...
Fabry Disease (Symptoms and Life Expectancy)
Fabry disease (Fabry's disease, alpha-galactosidase-A) is a genetic disorder with symptoms such as burning sensations in...
The five types of spondylolisthesis include dysplastic, isthmic, degenerative, traumatic, and pathologic. The most common symptom...
Sprains and Strains
An injury to a ligament is called a sprain, and an injury to muscle or tendon is called a strain. Sprains and strains may be...
Dilated Cardiomyopathy is a condition where the heart's ability to pump blood is decreased because the heart's main pumping...
Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is a combination of physical and emotional disturbances that occur after a woman ovulates and ends...
HDL vs. LDL Cholesterol (Differences, Normal Ranges, Meanings)
HDL (high-density lipoprotein), or the "good" cholesterol, and LDL (low-density lipoprotein), or the "bad"...
Post-polio syndrome (PPS) is a group of signs and symptoms that show up two to four decades after the initial polio infection....
Type 1 vs Type 2 Diabetes (Similarities and Differences)
Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic condition in which a person's blood sugar (glucose) levels are too high. Over 29.1 million...
A diabetic diet, or diabetes diet helps keep blood glucose levels in the target range for patients. Exercise and medication may...
Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease (CMT)
Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease is one of the most common inherited neurological disorders. Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease affects the...
Heat cramps usually affect people who sweat a lot during strenuous activity or work in a hot, humid environment. Symptoms of heat...
Prediabetes is a situation where a person's blood sugar levels are higher than they should be, but aren't high enough to be...
Fast-food consumption and lack of exercise are just a couple of causes of childhood obesity. Health effects of childhood obesity...
Anabolic steroids are synthetic substances that are related to testosterone and promote skeletal muscle growth and the...
Type 1 Diabetes
Type 1 diabetes mellitus (juvenile) is an auto-immune disease with no known cause at this time. Symptoms of type 1 diabetes...
Stretch marks occur in the dermis, the elastic middle layer of skin that allows it to retain its shape. When the skin is...
COPD vs. Emphysema (Differences Similarities)
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is the term doctors and other health care professionals use to describe a group of...
IBS vs. IBD: Differences and Similarities
IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) are both problems with the digestive tract...
Heart Attacks in Women
Heart disease, particularly coronary artery disease is the leading cause of heart attacks. Women are more likely to die from a...
Fitness: Exercise for a Healthy Heart
Regular exercise can help reduce the risk of heart disease. To achieve maximum benefits, do a mix of stretching exercise, aerobic...
Crohn's Disease vs. Ulcerative Colitis (UC): Differences and Similarities
Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis are diseases that cause inflammation of part of or the entire digestive tract (GI)....
Vitamins & Exercise: Heart Attack Prevention Series
Vitamins and exercise can lower your risk for heart attack and heart disease. Folic acid, vitamins, and homocysteine levels are...
Heart Attack Prevention Overview
Heart attacks are the major causes of unexpected, sudden death among men and women. A heart attack also is a significant cause...
Juvenile Bone Health
Setting a good example for your children when it comes to diet and exercise will help them to make healthy decisions about...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- How Muscles Work & Respond to Resistance Training
- Prediabetes Symptoms and Diagnosis
- Fitness: 10 Tips to Find the Right Fitness Class For You!
- Drinking Too Much Water While Exercising Can Be Dangerous
- Mediterranean Diet
- Weight Lifting in Weight Loss (Audio Podcast)
- Strength Training Exercises for Women
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- The Value of Strength Training
- Gym Membership Makes Your Heart Fitter, Too
- Stronger Muscles May Pump Up Your Memory
- Health Tip: Exercise Safely With Diabetes
- Pumping Iron? Try Longer Breaks Between Sets for Max Muscles
- Seniors: Pump Iron, Live Longer
- Most Physical Activity Helps You Sleep Better
- Weight Training's Benefits May Depend on Genetics
- Weight Training Key to Battling Belly Fat as You Age: Study
- Health Tip: Exercise With Weights
- More Muscles Linked to Longer Life, Research Suggests
- Weight-Lifting May Boost Heart Health in Black Men: Study
- To Get More Fit, Find a Stronger Workout Partner
- Health Tip: Fuel Your Body for Resistance Training
- Muscle-Building Teens May Go to Extremes, Study Finds
- Physical Activity Boosts Brain Health
- Top 10 Fitness Trends Picked for 2013
- Health Tip: Gear Up for Safe Soccer
- Balance, Strength Training Reduce Falls for Elderly, Study Finds
- Ryan Lochte's Olympics Training Includes Beer Kegs
- Can Too Much Exercise Be Harmful?
- Upper-Body Strength Key for NASCAR Drivers
- High Reps With Low Weights Builds Muscle, Too
- Exercise Benefits Breast Cancer Patients
- Dumb Jocks? Not if They're Good at the Game
- Knee Arthritis: Very Low-Calorie Diet May Help
- Increase in Resting Heart Rate Over Time Linked to Heart Disease Death
- Want to Live Longer? Fit Outweighs Fat
- Most Sports Don't Raise Risk of Knee Osteoarthritis
- Older People Must Work Out More to Keep Muscles
- Weight Lifting May Be OK After Breast Cancer Surgery
- Top 20 Fitness Trends for 2011
- Resistance Training Improves Flexibility, Too
- Resistance Training Boosts Mobility in Knee Arthritis Patients
- Cholesterol Facts
- Heart Attack Symptoms in Women
- Weight Loss and Nutrition Myths
- Weight Lifting Workouts: Secrets to Success
- Fitness 101: Beginner's Guide to Exercise
- Cross Training: Get Stronger and Leaner
- Muscle Soreness
- Exercise Tubing and Bands
- Fitness Centers: No More Gym Intimidation
- Fitness Basics: Strength Training, Better Health
- Circuit Training: Take a Shortcut to Fitness
- Weight Training Basics: Lift Weights Injury-Free
- Weight Training to Boost Metabolism = Weight Loss
- Weight Lift 20 Minutes a Week, Get Results?
- Calories Burned During Fitness
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter