One concern smokers have when considering quitting smoking is weight gain. Not everyone will gain weight when they stop smoking. There are lifestyle changes that can be made to avoid weight gain during smoking cessation. Lifestyle changes include regular exercise, proper nutrition, limiting snacking and alcohol, medication, and weight management counseling. Read more: Weight Control and Smoking Cessation Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Surprising Reasons for Weight Gain
There are many reasons for sudden weight gain when there are no changes in diet or exercise. Sudden weight gain could be caused...
How to Quit Smoking: 13 Tips to End Addiction
One of the best ways to improve your health is to quit smoking. These practical tips to help you quit smoking have been shown to...
How to Quit Smoking Without Weight Gain
Learn how to avoid weight gain while quitting smoking. Explore what causes weight gain after quitting smoking. See lifestyle...
Related Disease Conditions
A hernia occurs when an organ or piece of tissue protrudes from the space in which it is normally contained. Symptoms of a hernia...
STDs in Men
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections transmitted during sexual contact. They may be caused by viruses, bacteria,...
Peripheral Vascular Disease
Peripheral vascular disease (PVD) refers to diseases of the blood vessels (arteries and veins) located outside the heart and...
Snoring (Causes, Aids, Remedies, Solutions)
Snoring, like all other sounds, is caused by vibrations that cause particles in the air to form sound waves. While we are asleep,...
Heart attack happens when a blood clot completely obstructs a coronary artery supplying blood to the heart muscle. A heart attack...
Sleep apnea is defined as a reduction or cessation of breathing during sleep. The three types of sleep apnea are central apnea,...
Fabry Disease (Symptoms and Life Expectancy)
Fabry disease (Fabry's disease, alpha-galactosidase-A) is a genetic disorder with symptoms such as burning sensations in...
High Blood Pressure Treatment
High blood pressure (hypertension) means high pressure (tension) in the arteries. Treatment for high blood pressure include...
Why Am I So Bloated?
Bloating is a feeling that your abdomen is distended or larger than normal, but it does not necessarily mean that it is. Gas...
Thymoma is an uncommon cancer of the thymus gland. Many thymomas are asymptomatic. When symptoms do occur, they include chest...
Atrial flutter is a problem with the atria of the heart. In atrial flutter the atria of the heart rapidly and repeatedly beat...
Smoker's Lung: Pathology Photo Essay
Smoker's lung photo essay is a collection of pictures and microscopic slides of lung disease caused by cigarette smoking....
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
COPD vs. Emphysema (Differences Similarities)
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is the term doctors and other health care professionals use to describe a group of...
e-cigarettes are replaceable or refillable cartridges or containers that are smoke-able and hold a liquid that contains solvents,...
How to Lower Your Cholesterol
Cholesterol is naturally produced by the body, and is a building block for cell membranes and hormones. Low-density lipoprotein...
How to Stop Snoring
Snoring is caused by the vibrations of the soft tissues at the back of the nose and throat while a person sleeps. There are many...
Weight Control and Smoking Cessation - Avoiding Weight Gain
Please provide tips and suggestions for avoiding weight gain while trying to quit smoking.Post View 2 Comments
Weight Control and Smoking Cessation - Physical Activity
What types of physical activity worked for you while trying to quit smoking?Post View 2 Comments
Weight Control and Smoking Cessation - Snacking and Alcohol
Discuss your desire for snacks and alcohol while trying to quit smoking. Did you acquire other unhealthy habits?Post
Weight Control and Smoking Cessation - Medications
What medications or supplements helped with weight control and/or helped you quit smoking?Post
Weight Control and Smoking Cessation - Getting Help
Besides a doctor, did another professional help you with weight control and smoking cessation? Please share your story.Post
Local ResourcesFind a local Family Physician in your town
Medications & Supplements
- bupropion (Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban, Aplenzin, Fortivo XL, Zyban)
- phentermine (Adipex-P, Lomaira)
- Nicorette Gum (nicotine polacrilex, Nicorelief, Nicorette, Thrive)
- nicotine patch (Nicoderm CQ, Habitrol)
- ephedrine (oral)
- orlistat (Xenical, alli)
- nicotine inhaler - oral, Nicotrol
- nicotine spray - nasal, Nicotrol NS
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Stop Smoking
- More Hardcore Smokers Trying to Kick the Habit
- 'Heat-Not-Burn Cigarettes' Aiming for U.S. Market
- Weight-Control Myths Keep Many U.S. Women Smoking
- Some Expert Tips to Help Smokers Finally Quit in 2015
- Anti-Smoking Campaign Successful and Cost-Effective, CDC Says
- Race Doesn't Affect Obesity's Toll on Health
- Weight Gain Fears Keep Some Smokers From Quitting
- A Judgmental Doctor May Make It Hard to Lose Weight
- Health Tip: Avoid Weight Gain While Quitting Smoking
- Nicotine Addiction Level May Predict Weight Gain in Ex-Smokers
- Overweight? You Can Scale Back Weight Gain in Pregnancy
- Health Highlights: Oct. 3, 2012
- Health Tip: Maintain Your Ideal Weight
- In Short Term, Weight-Loss Surgery Doesn't Raise Fracture Risk
- Zaltrap Approved for Advanced Colorectal Cancer
- Health Tip: Focus on Healthy Aging
- Quitting Smoking Does Mean Weight Gain for Many: Study
- Liposuction Might Have 'Boomerang' Effect
- Health Tip: Keep Off the Weight You've Lost
- Dieting May Lower Hormone Levels Tied to Breast Cancer
- Shape Up, Safely, for Summer
- Health Tip: Tame Your Food Cravings
- Black Pepper May Help Fight Fat
- Research May Point to New Obesity Treatments
- Why You Overeat Even When You're Full
- Health Highlights: May 1, 2012
- Losing Weight May Help Lower Cancer Risk
- Health Tip: Keep the Weight Off
- Obese Dieters Share Success Strategies
- Want to Lose Weight? Skip Trendy Diets
- Health Tip: Control Portion Sizes at Home
- Could Unroasted Coffee Beans Help You Shed Pounds?
- Eat More Chocolate, Weigh Less?
- Talking About Weight Tied to Poor Self-Image, Depression: Study
- Could Two Words Help You Resist Temptation?
- Health Tip: Managing Weight Gain
- Electronic Diary Helped Obese Adults Stick to Weight-Loss Plan
- Female Cancer Survivors Report Worse Health Habits: Survey
- Smaller Plate Won't Help Your Diet, Research Shows
- 'People Pleasers' More Prone to Overeating: Study
- If Your Dining Partner Overeats, So May You
- How to Make Your Quit-Smoking Resolution Stick
- Health Tip: Discuss Weight With Your Child
- Good and Bad Health Habits in U.S.
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Men's Health Newsletter