Patient Comments: Warts - Experiences

Please describe your experience with common warts. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: wordwrkr, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 12

I'm 60, and I've been plagued with canker sores as long as I can remember. When I was a kid I used to put ketchup on them to concentrate the pain into just a few seconds, followed by a few precious moments of pain-free existence. But I recently stumbled on a cure; not just a treatment for the pain, but a cure, at least in my case. I take a big drink of carbonated water and swirl it around in my mouth. A couple of times a day does the trick. If the canker sore is just emerging, it's gone by the next day. If it is full-blown, it is better within an hour (stops hurting immediately) and within just a few days it's gone. My treatment before I discovered this was simply to treat the pain; Anbesol applied topically. It tastes awful, and the relief lasts for only a few minutes, but it was better than nothing. Since discovering the power of simple carbonated water, however, I haven't had to use Anbesol at all. Carbonated water works! And it doesn't taste awful. It stops the pain and radically speeds the healing process.

Comment from: Sara, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I had embarrassing warts for about 6 years and went to my dermatologist 4 times. Each time, the warts came back. I tried every single thing I could get my hands on. I found an electronic wart remover online and within 2 weeks I had eliminated every last wart for good. That was the last I ever saw of them and I could not be happier!

Comment from: irishblueileen, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I have tiny warts primarily on my fingers. They don't seem to grow or change. Sometimes they itch but not frequently. I wish they would go away but they have been there for years.

Comment from: Duke, 75 or over (Patient) Published: December 12

When I was in my twenties, I had a large wart on my heel. A dermatologist put a patch on it for a week and then shaved off the top of the wart. He did this many times, but it didn't work. He then froze it with liquid nitrogen and that didn't work. He then burned it with an electric needle and that didn't work. I saw my family doctor and asked him about the wart. He said dip a tooth pick in nitric acid and touch the wart. You have to put your foot immediately in freezing water to stop the burning. I did this several times and it killed the wart.

Comment from: wartmal, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I had a wart on my palm few years ago about half a cm in diameter. It developed from an un-popped blister inflicted by hot oil while cooking. I never properly treated it but was always annoyed by it, sometimes picking out pulps sticking out just for the satisfaction imagining I could pick out the whole colony, which clearly failed. About three months later returning from the beach I realized the wart begins to wilt but quickly grows back again. Assuming it was the salinity of the sea water, I covered the wart with table salt holding it together with a Band-Aid changing the salt and Band-Aid every day. After about 3-4 days, the wart shrunk turned dark. Once again, I picked the wart with the tweezers and the entire layer of wart was pulled out. Aww, the satisfaction! Underneath was pink tender skin like you have underneath the outer transparent skin. I did made an appointment with the doctor but the wart was gone when I went to see him. The wart never came back but the doctor doesn't believe the salt removed it.

Comment from: Jen, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

I had a tetanus shot 2 weeks ago. The pain deep inside my arm is getting worse. It is hard to lift it. It wakes me at night. Anti-inflammatory pills and basic painkillers have no effect. I have an appointment next week with the doctor.

Comment from: okey, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I am having heartburn pain when eating and drinking cold water. After that my bowel system changes.

Comment from: Kersi, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 07

I am suffering from hypokalemia due to excessive sweating. After swimming I used to go for sauna and steam bath. My S potassium (lone selective electrode) level dropped to 3.5. I am having giddiness and vertigo. I have to still take advice of a good medical doctor.

Comment from: RM, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

I used to work with a lot of produce at a grocery store when I was a teenager and I got warts on my hands like they were going out of style. I had a couple of them frozen off and one cut off, but I kept getting them. Someone that I worked with told me to soak my hands in very hot water for at least 10 minutes every day until they were gone, hot as I could stand without actually burning the healthy skin. He said the wart tissue was not as resilient as normal tissue and would die from the heat. I used water that was about 125 degrees (F) for 15 minutes each day just to make sure. I don't really know when the warts were done in but they all started crumbling off after about a week. As long as I worked there and remembered I kept soaking in very hot water and the warts never came back. I don't work with produce any more so I don't get them anymore, but there is no way they all fell off in the same few days. It had to be the hot water.

Comment from: knittr, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have been undergoing treatment for two plantar warts on my left heel for a few months now and am considering stopping in favor of home treatment. My doctor's methods (first three treatments with cantharidin, last two with liquid nitrogen and a yeast injection) have been pretty effective so far. Cantharidin reduced the smaller of the two after only two treatments, whereas the larger one didn't budge much. After one liquid nitrogen and injection session, both are quite a bit improved and the smaller one nearly cured. However, in my experience these treatments have been quite painful and temporarily limit my usual activities (the first few days after treatment are painful enough to make walking unpleasant and yoga out of the question).

Comment from: phil, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I had cauterized to remove my warts, there were so many, more than 50 in my neck and face. My first session they cauterized about 30 to 40 in my face. The second session was a retouch just in my face and some were left in my face, and then some re-schedule for my neck warts.

Comment from: col, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

Grapefruit seed oil works for common warts. Only a few drops and bandage it up; it takes a few days!

Comment from: vj, 25-34 (Patient) Published: October 08

I had few planter warts under my right foot. I tried freezing it but it didn't work. I read they are temperature sensitive, that's why doctors try to burn them and freeze them. I decided to treat my planter wart. I soaked my feet in warm water for 3-4 weeks daily. The temperature of water should be warm (don't burn or harm yourself). The entire wart turned black and then I used pumice stone to slowly scrape them daily. I changed my diet to very healthy foods including lots of fresh fruits and vegetables for strong immunity as a healthy immune system also kills the wart virus. All the warts on my foot are gone. No marks, no pain.

Comment from: leneysr, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 10

I had plantar warts since Junior High School. They were on and off painful, especially as a track runner and the spike catches a hard cinder (60's era). The pain would drop me to the ground. Finally as an adult (30ish) I sought the assistance of a dermatologist. The Doctor used a variety of treatments, electrical burning, acid, cutting and the problem never went away. After a year of weekly treatments, lots of cash, and hobbling around in pain I stopped. I read an article in Readers Digest on plantar warts (mid 70's) and how difficult it was to remove using conventional means. The article stated that if you soaked your feet in 120 deg F water for 20 minutes a day they would go away. They were gone in about a week and never returned.

Comment from: wart never again, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I used to have a wart on my index finger. Drug store treatments never helped. After using them the wart grew back. My aunt advised me to mix ground garlic with pig's fat (to prevent from burning, garlic can burn your skin really bad) and to keep this mixture overnight on the wart, wrapped well. I did it several times. The wart disappeared.

Comment from: anonymous, Published: August 31

I developed a plantar wart on the bottom of my heal that lasted for about 3 years. It was painful when I walked and I tried many treatments with the pads, but they never worked. I also went to a podiatrist and he froze it, but it came back. I finally gave up. Unrelated to the wart problem, I started to take a multi-vitamin like Centrum every day and the wart disappeared after a month or two. I don't know if the disappearance was related to the vitamin or not.

Comment from: sarah, Published: December 09

My doctor said that my thyroid was not doing its job and that I needed a stronger dose of levothyroxine, after a blood test. He said that it would give me more energy like I don't have enough now! It seems that as we grow older we are on medicine that we were not before. One less pill to take is fine with me as I take too many now.

Comment from: Suz2u2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I have had flat warts for over 25 years and eventually they have covered most of my body and they are spreading to my face. Around two years ago, I was diagnosed with psoriasis. The warts never gave me trouble like they did when the psoriasis suddenly appeared. The warts do not like psoriasis and it is like they are in battle. The warts raise very high and itch constantly until I got a cortizone shot. Now things are great, that is until the psoriasis flares up again.

Comment from: laura, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have got these plantar wart on my right foot. It's been a few months. I have got these warts on my right fingers and just one on my left hand. Few weeks ago, the GP gave me like a liquid to put it only in the area of the wart but I don't think it's working at all. I called my GP to see the doctor but it said I can get the appointment only on next month. Here, I am not able to walk. My fingers one doesn't pain but the one on my foot. It hurts. I am walking with only one leg for the last few days. I can't even stand properly. Seriously, looking for a permanent solution.

Comment from: Saunya, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 26

My son had a number of warts on his fingers, knees and feet, especially around the nails when he was about 9. I hadn't treated them at all due to knowing that they usually go away on their own, but they just kept getting worse. On the advice of his Pediatrician we used the duct tape method on only one of the clusters of warts. According to the doctor the irritation stimulates the immune system and the body fights off the warts. Accurate or not it worked. All of the warts went away even though we treated only an inconspicuous cluster.

Comment from: Warts til death, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

Nothing gets rid of the wart on my finger which is the size of a quarter. I've had it for over a decade. Freezing it made it quadruple in size! I should be submitted for scientific research as this must be some alien!

Comment from: little bear, 3-6 Male Published: September 08

My son had a patch of warts on his knee, took him to dermatologist and he prescribed Vitamin A. Put the oil of the prescription vitamin A on the warts daily and they fell off within weeks.

Comment from: ttddy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I have warts on my face and my arms. I have tried many ways to make them disappears. They are so embarrassing.

Comment from: ???, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 02

I had a huge wart on my knuckle, and I had it burned off and frozen off by a dermatologist. I never took the Band-aid off except to change it. Don't let it get any air contact for more than five minutes.

Comment from: Christie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

When I was younger I had a large amount of warts on my fingers. I had multiple treatments of dry ice -- which was painful. My neighbor suggested I put freshly cut aloe vera plant juice all over my hands, and within a few weeks they were gone. My 11 year old son came up with two large warts on his fingers and after two dry ice treatments and no results, we have now tried the aloe on his warts. Within the first 24 hours they had gone black and now after continuing this pain free treatment for five days they have decreased in size by half.

Comment from: mexicali, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I had a huge wart on my thumb. I tried over the counter remedies, the doctor, and nothing seemed to help. My dad told me to file it with an emery board. Filing took more than a week, but I would file it every other night until it would just start to hurt, it has been 8 years now and still no more wart.

Comment from: Karl, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 23

About a month ago, I had a small wart appear on my thigh. I treated it conventionally using over-the-counter medications, and kept it covered. After a week it had grown very large, and I began coating it with a product called Hoof Lacquer to try to choke its tiny little airway. It worked, and the wart fell off and it bled for about 24 hours. I make sure this area is constantly cleaned with bleach as I do not want anymore warts to appear.

Comment from: American Person, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: May 26

Last year, I noticed a wart developing underneath my skin between the index finger and the thumb. I kept clipping it off, and eventually it began to spread. It spread to my thumb, then eventually spread around the main wart. The seed warts are underneath the skin and have a "bubbly" appearance. So far, the warts have only remained on my right palm. There a total of 9 warts - a medium sized one and 8 smaller ones.

Comment from: happyminyan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

Patience is the ticket. Used Aldara every other night alternating with salicylic acid and a band-aid. I also shaved it with pumice before each treatment. When it looked better, my dermatologist said to just put fresh duct tape each night. It worked. The entire process took about 3 weeks.

Comment from: Double L, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

I have this wart growing on my wrist for a good couple of years. I have it cryo-removed a few years back and it disappeared for a while. However, these nasty warts recurred and spread to nearby skin over the past few months. Just last month, I got my GP to freeze it and I had the biggest blister that I've even seen (about the size of a kidney bean). It seems to heal rather quickly but I realized there are some tiny isles of thick skin within the healed area. It looks like the wart is going to grow back again! This is frustrating I'm just going to let it be this time. Let the immune system do its work!

Comment from: matulanga, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

One doctor told me to use a silver nitrate pencil; it worked. The wart disappeared.

Comment from: judy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I have had the wart on my upper arm frozen off by a doctor twice--this last time the frozen part did not drop off and it has gotten larger by about five times. Going to try the duct tape method.

Comment from: yayhomeremedies, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I read on other sites that apple cider vinegar works wells. I'm trying it now. It's only been a few days but they are going away.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter