Patient Comments: Warts - Effective Treatments

Which wart treatments have been effective for you? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: micky, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

Both my son and I had warts on our fingers and thumbs. The only remedy I found was a careful and prudent light rubbing on them with an emery board for a few days. Then they disappeared forever!

Comment from: yogadawn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

Oregano oil is anti-viral and worked on warts on my finger and foot! I had tried freezing, acid drops, acid patch, and tea tree oil with no luck. However, the oregano oil on a cotton ball taped on, worked like magic. Persistent application is required and the oil much be diluted with another oil as it burns otherwise.

Comment from: manual_labour, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 28

I tried liquid nitrogen, multiple applications for my wart over many months, close to one year in fact. I ended up burning it off with a cigarette. It left a small scar, but never returned.

Comment from: Swaroop, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

I had around 20 warts on my right hand. I used to rub against them a solution of potassium sulfate and glycerin, which has an exothermic reaction and releases heat. Because of this heat the warts disappeared in few weeks.

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

People who use the pumice stone for warts, seem to have a degree of success. This may be a coincidence, but as a teenager I had warts on my hands: I burned, frozen, and tried over the counter remedies. Nothing worked. One day I noticed the warts were getting smaller, and was doing no treatments, as I had given up. Sure enough day by day they were getting smaller and smaller, then they were gone. Finally it hit me what was causing this to happen. I had been going to my sister's house every day, and she had Lava soap in her bathroom, which is pumice. I've had a wart since, I got Lava and it was gone also.

Comment from: agrantant, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

Great article. I think the one thing is that not all people have the same skin sensitivity. Some people may be able to freeze a wart while others would feel more comfortable with a less invasive treatment like duct tape and garlic.

Comment from: Sara, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I had embarrassing warts for about 6 years and went to my dermatologist 4 times. Each time, the warts came back. I tried every single thing I could get my hands on. I found an electronic wart remover online and within 2 weeks I had eliminated every last wart for good. That was the last I ever saw of them and I could not be happier!

Comment from: LeAnn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I have found that a bit of tissue soaked in vinegar on the wart, then covered with duct tape works within two or three weeks.

Comment from: 64driver, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 30

I have had a wart crop up twice in my finger. Once when I was about 10 years old, and once at about 30 years old. Both times I tried every over the counter option. The only thing that ended up working is picking at it with my nail until the wart was torn out. It hurts a little and bleeds a bit more than you would expect, but it worked!

Comment from: Meg, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

My daughter had the cauliflower looking warts on her toes. After repeatedly trying over the counter methods we applied oregano oil daily for about 2 weeks. Next thing we knew they were gone. She now has the flat warts on her face but the oil doesn"t seem to be helping. We are still looking for a solution for that.

Comment from: taLa, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I have warts on my elbow. My husband bought "mantika de papel" which can be bought in a Chinese pharmacy. When he applied that liquid on my warts, I felt a little pain, the next day I saw my warts were flat. After a few days, it looks like nothing had happened on my elbow.

Comment from: 1warty, 55-64 (Patient) Published: October 22

I had a wart on my hand for a few years that nothing would deter, including liquid nitrogen. I read in the newspaper a home remedy - soak a cotton ball in vinegar and tape it to your hand overnight for several days. The vinegar made a raw sore on my hand but once it healed, the wart was finally gone. Modern medicine couldn't didn't do it!

Comment from: lisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

For removing my warts I used Dewart which I bought online. It's made by Kanani products.

Comment from: Niah, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had a wart on my head and garlic was my treatment. I would file it down, use peroxide if I wasn't washing my hair on that day and put a piece of garlic that covered the whole wart. I would then put a cotton ball and pin my hair over it so it doesn't move during the night. In the morning, I removed it, saw how much it improved, went on with my day without smelling like garlic and then started over the next night. It took about a month to get it right otherwise, It would've taken me 2 weeks. A little advice: Always use the right size of garlic slice, covering the whole wart but not covering too much healthy skin. Always use fresh garlic (this was the major cause of my setback).

Comment from: Val, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I had a small but annoying wart on the side of my middle finger for two years. I tried using over-the-counter treatments, but none worked. Recently, I started noticing two more growing on the same hand, so I went to my doctor. He froze them with liquid nitrogen (three times each). I was not expecting them to get big blisters! Once the swelling came down, they turned into scabs, and I scratched them off.

Comment from: al, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 28

I am reading your wart treatments with a view to removing the many hundreds of warts that have almost covered the insides of my thighs, under arms, over my eye lids and many other places since I have worked on a roof last winter which had all sorts of horrid things thrown on it from the inhabitants who lived above. I have tried cream, but it is sold in so small of quantities that is not worth buying. I need serious help here. They are horrible and getting worse.

Comment from: One wart is gone, (Patient) Published: July 28

I started to have plantar warts since 12. Of the four treated by doctor only one is gone. He used electricity to burn the wart and then cut them. Luckily, the biggest one is gone. The skin there feels a little different, when I press it, it's a bit hard. The other one got a bit smaller after the treatment and since then I don't try to do anything to it. The only that was really completely gone, was the one I scratched it off. It was rather small and very swollen. I used finger nails to scratch the side and it started bleeding. I got the whole whitish little ball like thing out and I guess that's the whole wart. After that, that particular wart never comes back!

Comment from: Mommaof3, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had a wart on my knee from age 8 to about age 16. I tried everything from over-the-counter products to freezing it at the doctor's office. Nothing would work. Then as a teenager, it got pretty big and embarrassing, so I went to the doctor and he gave me a numbing shot in the leg and cut it out. It left a scar but I'd much rather have a scar than an ugly wart! It's never come back, and I'm now 30.

Comment from: Sue, Published: February 17

My daughter had a large wart on the bottom of her middle toe with several mosaic style warts nearby on the ball of her foot. She was too young to have the dermatologist freeze them off. He told us to use Compound W and duct tape. It took a couple of weeks, but then I simply lifted the wart out of her toe! The smaller mosaic style warts disappeared too. Currently, she has several flat warts on her hands. Those have been more difficult, so I am looking for options. At this age, she is self-conscious about wearing duct tape on her hands.

Comment from: 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 15

My son had warts in his all inside finger nails. I approached various doctors. They have given cryotherapy for more than 2 months. But no progress. Finally one doctor treated with medicine and suggested to apply a chemical on the wart by using tooth picks. Just dip the stick point with the chemical and give gentle jerk in outer area of wart, which goes inside the skin. Within 1 month warts have cleared.

Comment from: Kim, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I have dissolved away many warts using apple cider vinegar. Put a small piece of q-tip cotton soaked in vinegar on the wart. Cover well with water-proof tape: white, medical tape, for example, or duct tape. Make sure no air can get in. Leave in place for 3 days. Don't get the area wet. After 3 days, remove the tape. The area will be white and withered. Sand down the wart with a nail file--it will rub off easily and painlessly. Leave the area uncovered for 24 hours, so that surrounding skin can recover. Then repeat the process until the wart is totally gone. This method works very well and is very inexpensive!

Comment from: warthandboy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

When I was a boy of 6 or 7 years old I had 24 warts on my hands. Back then, someone told us kids that if we tied a knot in a string (one for each wart), rub each knot on a specific wart, then have the person who tied the string take it and bury it in an unknown place (never to tell its location) – then the warts would disappear. My cousin did the deed and the warts disappeared within two weeks. True story – it worked. I had been wart-free until recently and now have a few growing in various places on my body. After 60 years of no warts – no kidding. Maybe it will work for you.

Comment from: PrnssVespa, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 19

This is going to sound silly, but when I was 6 or so, I had a wart on my left hand under my ring finger. My mother told me that when she was a kid, her doctor told her to spit on her wart every morning before brushing her teeth. She said the acids from your mouth would "eat" away at the wart. So, every morning I would spit on the wart, and throughout the day I would lick it. It took about two or three weeks, but the wart turned black. When it did that, my mom took a sterile needle, and pulled the black out. It was gross, but it didn't bleed or hurt and the tiny hole that it left healed over in days. I don't even have a scar. So, I think as long as it's a single wart and in a place where you can "spit" on it, it's worth a try.

Comment from: Terry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I used duct tape, and it worked for me! I changed it every day for about five days, and it went away! I have used this method several times, and it does the trick, even when I keep my hands wet a lot.

Comment from: terripeden, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I have used superglue with great results. Put on a couple of drops, let it dry, then peel it off. The wart is gone in about a week. It seems to work by removing the "roots" or "seeds" of the wart that are growing on or just below the surface.

Comment from: Patty, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have had warts on my heel for about four years now. I had a doctor prescribe salicylic acid, which I put on faithfully for a year until finally he burned them off. They came back. The second doctor started with laser treatments right away with no success until he did surgery and cut them out. They came back. I just finished my second round of burning in the scar area and now am unable to walk because of the pain. I now have no money -- or heel for that matter -- to continue in this way. I'm terrified it will come back just like it has for four years now.

Comment from: Narendra, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 24

My 10-year-old daughter has warts on her face and neck. I tried various medicines after consulting al least three leading dermatologists in Mumbai. I received no response for almost six months and the medicines prescribed were all like burning acid on the spot where it was applied on the wart with a pointed part of a tooth pick.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I've had a wart on my leg for about seven months. First, when I was positive it was a wart, I went to the doctors. They used liquid nitrogen, which seemed to work, but it came back after a while. I tried an over-the-counter method, but it didn't work either. I still have it now, but I'm hoping to burn it off.

Comment from: ujjaene, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have had warts on my hands and foot (and these were spreading) for five long years. I tried all sorts of treatments: freezing, burning, covering it, (with the help of the doctors), etc. Finally, a doctor advised laser surgery. But after we decided on the operation, within 10 days (after all these years) all of the warts disappeared, and my skin became totally healthy and normal. Perhaps patience is the best cure.

Comment from: Malcolm K, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

Desperate, I decided to try the home treatment of banana skins placed on the wart and wrapped with tape. I changed the banana skin twice a day. After a week, nothing had happened: The roots were still there. I got disgusted and stopped the treatment. Then, about four days later, the wart dried up and started falling off. The wart was gone in about three weeks with the banana treatment.

Comment from: fluffyjr, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I've had warts on the bottom of my feet about three times now. One time, the doctor gave me salicylic acid pads, burned them, and gave me some cream as a trial thing. (It was a skin cancer cream and worked well.) I don't remember what it was called. Recently, my boyfriend's doctor told him to crush aspirin, mix it with a small amount of Vaseline to make a paste, put a small amount over the wart, and cover it with duct tape. After two days, remove it, scrub it down with a pumice stone, and then repeat the process until it is gone. When he told me about that I thought he was crazy, but after not being able to walk for two weeks because I had one cut out of my foot, and it still came back, I decided to give it a shot. It works amazing, believe it or not. After the first day, I could see that it was working better than the over-the-counter salicylic acid pads.

Comment from: marylou, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I had warts all over my face since I was 5-years-old. Kids used to tease me because it was really spread out all over my face and it was pretty obvious. When I got here to the states, I went to a dermatologist and she gave me prescription for Aldara. It was a miracle. Now I'm clear and flawless.

Comment from: ryaeger, 7-12 Male Published: September 26

My son is 8 years old and he had a wart on the top of his foot for about two years. I tried the band aides for them. I tried freezing it away but it did not work. However, my uncle suggested that I use clear fingernail polish on it twice a day. I did and it has been three weeks and now it is gone. I also have a five year old son. I used it on his as well. It did kill the wart but it has not completely gone away yet. It is much smaller though. I hope this might help.

Comment from: Prissy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I had an annoying wart on the lateral aspect of my right index finger for over a year. I purchased Dr. Scholl's freeze away treatment. I used the treatment for about 10 days. My finger became irritated and sore the last few days of treatment. The skin around the wart loosened easily but the skin on the center of the wart was still attached and wouldn't come loose. I prepared myself for some pain and ripped off the skin in one quick motion. It bled a little so I applied direct pressure, applied antibiotic ointment and covered it with a band aid. I removed the band aid after 2 days and let the area dry up and scab over. It has healed completely after 5 days.

Comment from: Sue, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 25

I've been taking my 11 year old son to the dermatologist for about a year or so. He has a wart between his finger and nail. They have been freezing his finger every month. Two months ago it looked like his finger was getting better, but now it looks worse. They keep telling me that it will take time to get it out. My son can't play guitar any more. His finger gets dry and it hurts.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 26

My son had a planter wart for about a year. I paid to see a foot doctor and liquid to put on it, nothing helped. I almost scheduled surgery until I saw something about garlic. I am here to tell you that garlic works! We took a small slice and put it on and covered it with a band aid. The next day it started turning black. We kept doing this for about 10 days since it was deep and it has now been gone for 2 months. He had 2 on his fingers start and we did the same thing, and they are all gone. Go garlic.

Comment from: yofootnazty, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I had two planter warts when I was about 12. I had one on my hand when I was younger and used salicylic acid and freeze-off to remove it unsuccessfully. I didn't know what to do about the warts on my feet, so I picked at them with my fingernails and used a nail file and baby nail clippers. It was slightly painful, but since I removed them myself, they have never come back.

Comment from: Young guy, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I'm surprised this article doesn't mention using a potato. I had a wart for 10 years and after my friend recommended rubbing a potato on it, I tried that method and it disappeared instantly. No need for even a second application. Don't waste your money on acids and plasters!and plasters!

Comment from: Jodi, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 28

My two teenage daughters had cluster warts on the bottom of their feet. They both wear flip flops daily and were very self-conscious about them and they hurt. I sent them to a naturopathic doctor and she prescribed high doses of zinc 500mg pills several times a day. The warts were all gone in a couple weeks and never came back. I'm so glad that I didn't try cutting them out like one doctor recommended.

Comment from: Carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

After many treatments of freezing and scarring I just can't keep up with tiny new flat warts on my legs. I feel these warts are ruining the looks of my skin. I no longer will wear shorts or skirts. I am so worried that these warts will soon take over every inch of my skin. What can I do to stop this spread of unsightly warts. My husband says he can't see them. Especially in the sun, I see them, they are flat and shiny.

Comment from: free and clear, Published: June 04

I had warts all over my hands. My mother cut a potato in half rubbed it all over the warts then put it back together and buried it under the drain pipe as the lady down the street told her to do. The warts disappeared as the potato rotted just as the old woman said they would.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter