Patient Comments: Vitiligo - Depigmented Patches

Describe your type of vitiligo, its location on your body, and the progression of your depigmented patches. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Love my kids, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I have vitiligo, it started on my back, and it's now over my shoulders coming down my arms. It is spreading fast and I can see patches on my face now. I keep myself covered up, it's getting me down. I suffer with depression and this is not helping me.

Comment from: boba fett, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 03

I've got big white patches of vitiligo all over both my hands and elbows. Other spots are not worth mentioning. But it's only really noticeable in summer and except for easier sunburns on the affected skin I've never had any problems at all with it. I walk around in t-shirt and barely use sun-screen (which of course would be better and advised). I've also only gotten asked about it once in all my life. Want to say, it doesn't affect my live at all. Maybe I am just lucky but I think it's mainly what you do of it.

Comment from: Attia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

My vitiligo started when I was 10 years old, it started from forehead near to the ears. With the passage of time it moved to the whole body. My mom took me to a skin specialist doctor. He gave me medicine but he also said there are less percentage of people who got cured of this disease. These words are so painful for me. But now I am not taking any medicine for this because it is useless. This has made me psychopathic, and it is hurting me.

Comment from: Sher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

My vitiligo started when I was 5, small spots on my knees, elbows, and ankles. My mom took me to the dermatologist who told her it was vitiligo. And the words that came after have hurt me almost as much as teasing and questions. No known cause and no known cure. That it will cause lack of pigmentation but nothing else that was life threatening. Fast forward 48 years to my present age, I had gone to the emergency room presenting symptoms like heart attack. I had e total cardiac work up and thank goodness no heart problem, but I was diagnosed with diabetes 1.5. Ever heard of it? Called LADA (latent autoimmune diabetes of adults) diabetes caused by guess what? My autoimmune diseases, throwing me into diabetes. And those autoimmune disease were vitiligo, Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Epstein Barr Virus. In fact it does harm you! At the time of this illness they thought I had Addison's disease because my adrenals were not working at all. At this time my vitiligo had started traveling very rapidly all over my body and my face. I don't get out in the sun so that helps to diminish the stark contrast I had as a very tan person and now I am ivory. Plus, it affects my eyes. I have sought help all over the United States all my life, from nutritional alternative doctors and traditional doctors. I have tried creams, vitamins, light therapy and none of it helped. I now just keep myself abreast of the research being done. I have had much depression and sadness over this disease so I can relate to all of you. Thank you for listening.

Comment from: Bri, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

When I was younger (age 6) vitiligo started off as small spots. Then over the next 3 years it spread around both of my eyes, some spots on the right side back of my neck, and a tiny patch on my right arm. Being that the vitiligo was mostly on the right side of my body it was called 'segmental vitiligo'. I found that out because I made contact with a doctor in Australia and he diagnosed me then. Around age 10-17 it began to go away greatly. My vitiligo treatment seems like it progressed gradually, the process is slow. I feel that vitiligo treatment is all in your diet and vitamins. All that medicine and UV lights is a no-no. I say that because your body doesnt need all that exposure, and with every medicine there is a side effect. Like, the doctors could be healing your vitiligo and severely damaging you inside and out and you won't know until years later. Stay away from a lot of chocolate too, take your vitamins and eat much protein foods and foods with much antioxidants (like fruits and vegetables). Today is July 31, 2014 and I only have tiny spots around my right eye, neck, and one on my arm.

Comment from: Salam, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

The black area of the nipples are totally white and I have some vitiligo spots on the leg and around the neck.

Comment from: AaLF, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 27

I visited the skin cancer clinic for possible skin cancers; a normal thing for seniors in Australia. They took small slices of possible skin cancers from the back of my hands. The results came back negative. No skin cancers. But the brutal biopsy slices turned into vitiligo. Fortunately for me I am 60 plus years of age. It doesn't bother me. Be a lot harder to bear though I am sure, for younger people.

Comment from: bheinz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I have had vitiligo since I was 3. It started on my knees and inner thighs but now at 24 it has moved all over my body and today it has moved to my scalp and has started to turn my hair white. I have tried everything my doctor told me to with no results, and this has caused me to experience depression in my whole life.

Comment from: Dada, 45-54 (Patient) Published: June 16

In the year 2013 January I had very small blisters on the back of my right palm that looked red, then later in October I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with vitiligo. I have a dog, and am suspecting that might have contributed to this disease.

Comment from: nakib, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

I have 4 small oval white patches of vitiligo, 2 in my left leg and 1 in my left hand finger and another in my right hand.

Comment from: baby boy, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 24

My son has had vitiligo, since he was 6 months old. The pediatrician told us that it was a diaper rash, it was not until he was 1.5 years old that he was diagnosed. He is 8 now and is sad, because he is getting frustrated, he cannot play outside if he doesn't wear long sleeves, glasses and hat, so he prefers to stay inside and play video games. That is not the life that I want for my son, he did all the treatments around the world and I think I'm giving up. Nothing works for him.

Comment from: precious, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I had vitiligo covering all my right face including my right eye, right ear and right side of my nose and head since I was 3 years old. I have lived with it since hoping it will go off hoping hard, enduring the stigma and discrimination and now I am 24 years old.

Comment from: Hiyam, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 25

I have vitiligo and can't find anything or anyone to help me I don't go out I stay at home all the time I feel like freak can atone help me I am going out of my mind

Comment from: jules, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 06

The area where the white patches are located is around my genital area. It includes my rectum and vagina. I also have spots on my breast and foot that are not as pronounced.

Comment from: aamir wani, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 06

I am from India. I was 14 years old when I was diagnosed with vitiligo. I had treated it very well and I got rid of it. Now I am 19 years old and enjoying my life with happiness.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter