Patient Comments: Vitiligo - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your vitiligo? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: cksellars, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

My husband has had vitiligo for all of his adult life. As a baby, he was severely allergic to milk products. Over a year ago, he changed his diet, removing milk and gluten products, added a strong regimen of vitamins (including tyrosine, fish oil, super greens powder, etc.), and stopped hiding from the sun (purposely spent at least 15 minutes a day to get sun exposure). Well what do you know, the pigment came back! No fancy medicines, no topical cream, just stop eating what humans were not meant to digest and get some sun.

Comment from: anonanon, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 02

My father developed vitiligo in his early 60s and tried a number of treatments. What finally worked for him on his face (100 percent re-pigmentation except for some tiny spots below the nose) was Hydroval - hydrocortisone 17 valerate 0.2 percent and Protopic - tacrolimus ointment 0.1 percent (weight/weight) at night. I believe he had to avoid sun exposure. The spots on his hands were less responsive, but he thinks this is because he washed his hands too frequently while using the medicines. I hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Lois, Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I was diagnosed with vitiligo a year ago. I began a UVB phototherapy plus Protopic twice a day three months ago with fantastic results on my face (100 percent re-pigmentation). The vitiligo on my hands is still the same, however I see that one spot is getting pigment back again. I do phototherapy at home 4 times a week as also take vitamin B12, zinc, vitamin D, probiotic and gingko. I stopped eating spicy and sour food.

Comment from: A M Kumar, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

After 7 years Lukoskin is showing good results for vitiligo; with proper diet and follow ups. Many dots are developing in my white patches. I am a little happy. People can try out with hope.

Comment from: Jacky, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

My vitiligo was started when I was 14. So many times I've tried to find a good cure or just a cure! And about 8 mouth ago I found something called Vitilemna and I thought that it will help me and it does! I used the pill Vitilemna and gel Vitilemna and I started getting results from the 5th month! Treatment is designed for 6 months. The results are quite good for now! I can't believe it! Maybe this cure isn't so cool for everybody but I think that everyone can try to use it.

Comment from: Veer, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

Medical tattooing has been proven to be advantageous over recent years. Topical camouflage is the most effective visual treatment. It is not a traditional vitiligo treatment but used as a camouflage technique. With the help of artificial pigments that are deposited into the skin, by using any tattooing needles or surgical techniques, the patches are covered with a design. It will work best for darker skins, and the color may become lighter with the passage of time. The correctness of color match depends on the skills and competency of the tattooist. Micro-pigmentation is a process of changing the skin color by injecting artificial pigments into it. The pigment is stable and it will last for years before fading. If someone has a very long standing, stable and small vitiligo patch, and it is of cosmetic importance to cover the patch, he might choose the option of vitiligo tattooing. Tattoos do not get affected by the process of vitiligo.

Comment from: this is horrible, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I am a 50 year old male and I developed vitiligo about 8 years ago. It has progressed to the point where it is now on my head and neck. I have lost all self-esteem. The treatments here are hit or miss at best. I have had nightmares of chopping my hands off so I wouldn't have to look at them any longer. If I didn't have a 16 year old son at home I would seriously contemplate suicide. I believe this is the only option left in order to stop this horrible condition from progressing to my face. It has ruined my life. I truly hate myself. Good luck to you all.

Comment from: Lee, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

Don't eat chocolate, wine (made of grapes), coffee, or tea, if you don't want to have vitiligo or let it get worse. Take Vitamin B, biotin, and nuts for vitamin E. Eating beef and broccoli will help. Trust me, you will get better and control it.

Comment from: Louis, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I was diagnosed with vitiligo 7 months ago. I have been using UVB light therapy 3 times a week as well as rotating Protopic for 2 weeks (morning and night) followed by clobetasol for 2 weeks (morning and night). It"s been a slow process, but with very noticeable results on the biggest patch and no noticeable difference on the smaller ones.

Comment from: Baljit, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I have had vitiligo since I was about 14 years old. I have vitiligo on my left face area near the chin and cheek. I have tried a lot of different medicines, it would work for a while and then no improvement at all. Someone mentioned coconut oil, again worked for couple of days and none after that. Currently I am applying toothpaste on it and it seems like it is working better than anything I have used so far. But still it will take a while before seeing any major improvements.

Comment from: Ankur, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I have the problem of vitiligo since I was 13. I tried all types of treatments but the result was negative. Ayurvedic treatment helped a bit but later they prescribed Lukoskin medicine due to which my spots spread more. Now I am not taking any more medication. I'm too tired and shattered. I have accepted that this disease cannot be cured.

Comment from: sally, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

The only thing that helped my vitiligo was UVB light. It regained some color. You can purchase the hand held lights online. The only thing that helped to stop the spreading was some alterations to my diet. I only drink filtered water. When I have tea I do not use any sugar. Sugar avoidance and red meat avoidance as well as consuming only filtered water has done wonders for me. I don't eat citrus fruits or drinks. I also avoid juices from the store as they are packed with sugar. I don't use harsh chemicals at home or bleach.

Comment from: Smiley, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I was diagnosed with vitiligo about nine months ago. I started using 100% cocoa butter in the tube, and it helped make the white spots around my eyes and ears less noticeable.

Comment from: TheAlaskan, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I've had vitiligo my whole life. I'm 20 now with 80% coverage of it. I have a hubby and a kid and a life outside of the house! The greatest treatment I've found is simply accepting it. It is who you are. I think of it as art. I had a horrible time with people (even family) gawking at it and treating me horrible. School was especially horrible! But I found great friends who used my white patches like a coloring book. (I'm part Native American so I had it visible year-round). I love to safely tan every summer to see what changes happened during the winter. I finally embraced it. I'm not like all the other sheep in the pasture, so to speak. I'm me! Sure it's hard, but what isn't? Life shouldn't stop because you are different.

Comment from: Artinium, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 21

My case of vitiligo started when I was in my early 20s. It started in my beard area. The doctor I saw gave me a cream to use and it cured it for the most part. It would never really tan a lot in the area but never went white either. Ever since then it spread all over mainly on my arms and legs. The thing is, the areas it spread to were never bigger than a pencil eraser and some would go back to normal all on its own and has been doing this for decades.

Comment from: Venkat, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

I have been facing vitiligo past 1 year onwards. I tried many treatments like Ayurvedic and UVB photo therapy. There is some cure due to UVB therapy in the chest. But there is no change on my lip.

Comment from: kamal, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 23

I am a father of a 13 years old son. Since last 2 months we see strange white spots are developing on my sons around neck area. We took him to very famous skins doctors and professors, no improvement showed. I went to see an Ayurveda doctor with my son. She started to treat my son and day by day we see the improvement with my son's happy face.

Comment from: Akansha, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I was also suffering from leucoderma (vitiligo), and I was just tired of the many treatments. And I spent lots of money for a cure for this disease. But I could not get relief. One day my friend who is living told me about an Ayurvedic medicine Paardadi Lape (roop chandani). I used it and got my real skin tone back in one month.

Comment from: Skowas, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

At the age of 16 I had vitiligo and it was cured after taking homeopathy medicine, in six months. I was vitiligo free for 35 years. In 2012 January I found the white spots back and since then I have been taking homeopathy medicine from a different doctor. The result is slow, but for sure it stays in the same spots. I wish my first doctor were still alive. Stay positive and hopefully it will go away. Currently in addition to homeopathy I am using Microskin cover up make up and it helps if I do not use tie. Without using tie the makeup stays a few days and you can wash your face and it does not rub off.

Comment from: Desperada, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I developed vitiligo 4 years ago. At the beginning the dermatologist injected cortisone to slow down the patches from spreading fast. I have the patches on the back of the neck, all over the stomach and in the lower part of my fingers. After many treatments the doctor told me that the cortisone was accumulative and it would make my upper stomach and the upper back to grow and that the skin would get loose. I didn't want to hear anymore, I never went back. The thing is that she was right and now I have a big upper stomach, fat on my back that makes me looks like I have a hunch.

Comment from: Robert, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

My vitiligo developed only in the last year and has progressed to every part of my body. Yes, I was quite distressed but have now accepted that there is simply nothing that I can do to stop it. People ask what it is and I just tell them. It is not contagious so there is nothing to fear in that regard. I avoid sunlight without using sunscreen as it burns so much faster than the unaffected parts. I was discussing tattoos with a friend and he said jokingly that he was not going to get anything quite as radical as I had (referring to the white patches on my arms). I pointed out one small patch and said it was a map of the Ukraine. We both laughed and that was that. My point is that none of us should take it so seriously as to allow it to lead to depression or feeling badly about ourselves. You are still the same person you have always been. Anyone who teases you about it is not a friend anyway. Whatever anyone else thinks about it is none of your business.

Comment from: Green, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I have been battling vitiligo for about 12 years it has gotten progressively worse. I have over the past 2-3 years been using some tradition Arabic herbs for boosting immune system and also specifically for disease and have had positive results with sun exposure.

Comment from: Dolly, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I am 23 and from India. I have suffered from vitiligo since I was 5 years old. I started medication, but of no use I had given up but my parents were still hoping. My tensed parents tried many doctors and treatments, but none of them were useful. They are tense because I'm single. I had white patches on my legs, hand, eyes, ears which are visible to everyone. I always try to cover myself completely, but it is not possible every time. Everyone always asks how I got my white patches; people have been making hurtful comments even my brother. Maybe they feel ashamed of me, but it hurts really. So, I try not to get stressed because of vitiligo, but even though it is spread not rapidly, but slowly I am not interested in going out to parties. It burns in the sun. My true friends in college don't notice my condition until I share my story with them. I am embarrassed of my scar.

Comment from: clickchic, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I'm 55 yr old woman who has vitiligo for 16 years. Mine spread rapidly throughout my body, with depigmentation on joints, under eyes, hair, etc. I tried oral and light medications to no real avail. I eventually used Benoquin which is a medication to permanently depigment the skin. Which for the most part is complete but for some spots on my face. I have to be extremely careful in the sun using hi SPF's all the time. Self tanners are great, also dying your hair to enhance your very white skin helps. People have been making hurtful comments before during and after treatment, and I chalk it up to ignorance.

Comment from: Mollee, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I'm 16 years old and was diagnosed with vitiligo at age 10. I started to get the white spots on my knees and stomach when I was younger, around age 5 or 6 and they gradually spread and increased in size. Now I have them on my feet, elbows, armpits, stomach, knees, groin area, chest, and even a white streak in my hair. As a kid I was always picked on or asked what happened to my skin. It took a while for me to get over my skin pigment, but I've learned to live with it. I'm not afraid to wear cute swimsuits anymore or wear shorts. I have naturally dark skin year round so it is very visible and during the summer I have to wear high SPF sunscreen. I think the best treatment for this is to just live with it. I'm not going to lie, I actually have come to like it and other people do too. Everyone always asks how I got my white streak and I tell them it's natural from my skin pigment and they really like it. Maybe it's the time and place we live in now, but I believe things like this are respected and accepted. As long as you feel comfortable with it, you'll look comfortable and confident too. One of my goals in life is to be a model, and I'm not going to let my skin pigment hold me back, it's who I am and no one is going to ever change that.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I'm 28 and living in South Africa. I've been living with vitiligo since I was 9 years old. It spread all over my legs in my teens and I used homeopathic medicine for several years that worked very slowly, but most of the spots on my legs disappeared. It's mainly small spots on my fingers, feet, elbows, and eyes now. It hasn't spread very much for several years, and I have started using a vitamin B12 supplement, as it was recommended to me by a well-known South African dermatologist. I find it works in keeping it at bay!

Comment from: Rahil, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I'm an18-year-old Iranian girl. I faced vitiligo when I was just 9! My worried parents tried many doctors and treatments but none of them were useful. The only thing that became clear to us was that it is related to nerves. So, I try not to get stressed and anxious. We gave up visiting skin specialists, and I tried to work on it mentally. Now, after nine years, the two pale patches I had on my face have completely disappeared. I just have two left on my neck. I learned step by step how not to get mad and worried about every little thing. When I learned how to overcome stress and get relaxed, I really got better. So my advice is to use daily sunscreen and try to work on yourself mentally. Talk to your friends and family members or visit a therapist, and don't get too sensitive about your disease.

Comment from: josefine, 25-34 (Patient) Published: October 15

I have vitiligo for 13 years now and I had tried different treatments (PUVA, topical steroid, meladinine cream/solution with exposure to sunlight/PUVA, oral meladinine, oil of bergamot). The vitiligo covers my neck, and one-fourth of my face. I looked for another dermatologist because I'm losing hope with my past dermatologists. Then somebody recommended me to this good dermatologist and she performed punch graft and it did very well. I had 6 punch grafts in 3 years. Then I had to apply meladinine solution to vitiligo are. It was great! Now it is 90% cured.

Comment from: fairos, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I am Malaysian aged 22years old. I have had vitiligo disorder since age 16. At early stage I face vitiligo I'm not too worried after a year. I started to get a treatment because it makes me embarrassed with my friends because vitiligo occurred at my right thigh. So I can't wear shorts like my other friends. For the first treatment, the doctor gave me a cream for night and I used a bottle of liquid for the daylight. However, I discontinued this medicine because it is difficult for to me to lying under the sunlight and more over the effects of the medicines take a long time. I also get a treatment from specialist clinic and it showed a good responding, but too slowly. Now, this disease has spread to other parts of my body and it makes me worried. I really very depressed about this. What types, name of medicine should I use and will I ever get my original skin back?

Comment from: skywayjen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I have had vitiligo I guess since I was a child. Just a couple of lighter spots and in the private area. In the past 5 to 10 years it is spreading and it is very visible, in my face, my hands and fingers. I have been using Neutrogena 110 sunblock. Everywhere people tell me there is nothing to do. I am not sure why it seems to be spreading more.

Comment from: about vitiligo, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

I have been having vitiligo since 12 to 14 years. But now my skin is improving day by day. My treatment is going very good.

Comment from: csv, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 02

I have been suffering from vitiligo for the past 4 years. I have tried homeopathy for 3 years with limited success. I came to know about Unani treatment when some doctors suggested it to me. You are given a dietary chart to follow along with topical and oral medicines.

Comment from: AgreeWithTheAlaskan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 16

I agree with you on everything, we are different and because of the way society views people who are 'different' in many ways, we have to deal with this like any other thing in life - be positive, accept vitiligo as a feature that we have been given. I am grateful that I am healthy in every other way and this feature which is different to most, is a part of me and my family understands and accepts this; that is what matters for me, if a stranger stares at it then that is his problem!

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I have vitiligo around my eyes and forehead, since 2007. I am 40 years now. Herbalife products helped me a lot. The condition has improved significantly.

Comment from: alistar1970, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

I have had vitiligo for about 30 years now and I have never tried any treatments. I did once ask my general physician about it. He told me there was no cure and advised me to use a high factor sun cream. I have vitiligo on both arms, both legs, chest, back, neck, face, and a white patch hair on my head.

Comment from: diya, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I'm from India and my age is 22. I had patches when I was 4-5 years old. I had an allopathic treatment and then it had all gone, but after 4 years it came back and started spreading slowly. Now I have it on my eyes ,hands, legs , and stomach, I'm still taking treatment for it but nothing is working out , I use derma color to hide it but still I'm still hopeful that I'll find a cure.

Comment from: Pooja, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I also have vitiligo since last 13 yrs, tried many medicines. It slowed down the spreading, but my existing spots are still there like in hands back, feet, lips. I have heard about a medicine named "lukoskin." this medicine claims to cure within 300-400 days of treatment, but there are a lot of dietary restrictions, but when we want to get rid of this terrible thing, diet should not be a constraint. Very few people know about this medicine.

Comment from: kika, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I'm 41 now was diagnosed with vitiligo at age 6. Went to the only Dr. that invented the only medication that really works (not trying to advertise) it really does work. I got some of my vitiligo gone, not all because I left that country and couldn't get more medication.

Comment from: bert50cal, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

I use topical corticosteroids on my vitiligo. It seems to help.

Comment from: 45-54 Male Published: April 24

I'm 50 years old and my aunt had this condition, vitiligo. I am the lucky one to get it in my family. I just don't worry about it. I didn't get it until five years ago. My wife noticed white patches on my face. I now have patches on my hands, armpits, face, and privates. I refer to myself as “camo-man” and reassure people I come into contact with that it is not contagious. I am comfortable with it, and that's that. I hope you all understand that it's what's inside that counts.

Comment from: blondeathartx1, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I'm 19 years old, and I have vitiligo on two spots of my body. I believe I got this from too much tanning and then getting burned. I am mostly Italian, so I have darker skin then most, but I do go tanning a lot. I have big white circles on my eyelids and under my eyes. It's not too bad, and you really can't see it too much. I also have white patches under my bra line like where the underwire would sit but just a little lower. I've had it for a long time, but I don't remember the exact time when I noticed it.

Comment from: curios2506, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I developed vitiligo at age 9. I found it kind of unusual how it started. I went to the beach with my family, and while in the water, it felt as if something had bit the top of my right foot. I then got out of the water and noticed a quarter-sized white spot had appeared. Slowly, after about three to five months, the spots continued to appear. They started at my knees, elbows, and later around my eyes, under my shin, and the back of my neck. My mother had taken me to the doctor and I guess with this disease being so new and maybe unknown, I was told there was really nothing they could do. So I kind of just dealt with it. I never really let it take over my life. Occasionally, I would get the "stares," more so from little kids who are curious. I am 31 now and believe it or not, my spots have slowly started to become less visible. I think that it has to do a lot with the fact that I enjoy tanning. I did notice that upon being a regular in the tanning beds that the spots that were on my knees and elbows had completely disappeared. They are just a shade darker than my skin color but less noticeable than the white patches. Soon after, I became pregnant, which eliminated the tanning beds. I did notice that the areas that had been restored to a normal pigment had now begun to slightly reappear. Needless to say, I resumed going to the tanning beds after I had my baby.

Comment from: Heather, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I am a 14-year-old girl. I was born with vitiligo. My whole life I have dealt with this disease and people making fun of it. My advice is to not fight back and realize that they are just bullies desperate for attention. They make fun of others to make themselves feel better. No one is perfect. Still, even today I am made fun of, but I ignore it, and I move on. I used to be afraid of wearing something that showed my arms and legs. I used to wear gloves in the middle of summer. But then I realized that doing that only made it worse. I was showing the bullies that I was vulnerable and couldn't take it, so they just continued to pick on me. Today, my true friends in middle school don't notice my condition until I share my story with them.

Comment from: newfie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I have had vitiligo every since I was a baby. Fortunately,I was brought up to believe that I had nothing wrong. I was in my early teens before I realized there was a name to the condition I had. I have about 70% coverage over all my body including my face and hands. It looks really bad if I have a tan, so I tend to stay out of the sun or wear lots of sunscreen. Things that I have found very helpful are: spray sunscreen (so easy and fast to use), foundation makeup, and the best thing is sunless tanner. That stuff is amazing. I call it dye for the skin. The earlier stuff was crap, but the stuff they are making these days are great. If you are nervous about using it start with the gradual tanner. Works great for the face too. Use it only on the white areas or the whole face. Just wanted to let people know that there is a lot of us out there and remember we all have our scars whether they are on the inside or the out.

Comment from: South African, 25-34 (Patient) Published: October 23

I'm South African age 31. I had Vitiligo from the age of 6. It never use to bother me but after three pregnancies it spread to 90% of my body. A very good dermatologist suggested phototherapy (UVA light treatment). After two year of this treatment my vitiligo is only 20% of my body now.

Comment from: nailahsmom, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 08

I have an 8 month old baby girl with discoloration on her vagina, buttocks and around her nose she has not been officially diagnosed yet, however all of the signs point to vitiligo. I am seeking advice, and support as I have no experience with this condition. I am looking for treatments.

Comment from: Rita, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

Hello everyone, I have had vitiligo for 30 years. I tried all of the regular treatments as well, then gave up. I found 1 year ago, recommended by my dermatologist, the Narrow Ban Light Box. It is like a tanning booth, but you stand and the light bulbs are less harmfull. After 1 year I am seeing a significate improvement. I had white spots ALL over my body, they are re-pigmenting at a pretty good rate, considering I was covered with white. My legs are almost clear, my feet and hands may never re-pigment, but I am succeeding and I am very happy and hopeful. Please check with your doctor and ask them about the Narrow Ban Light Box.

Comment from: optional, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 25

I have developed vitiligo since the age of 18. Now I'm 23. I'm constantly undergoing treatment for 5-6 years but only few developments have been found my affected areas are lips, left hand palm, fingers and the affected part is very less. I tried everything I usually smoke a lot and drink twice in a month. I've heard it affects to enhance the disease how. I have been taking tablets regularly. I fear I have grown fat my age is 23 and I'm bit dark in colour and my height is 5'11 n weight is 80.

Comment from: 123, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I'm Russian, and I'm only 14. I have had vitiligo since I was 9. I have it all around my stomach, and because of this, I can't wear a bikini. I went to the doctor, and he wasn't able to help.

Comment from: gina, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I had vitiligo in my feet since I was child, so I never had chance to wear shorts. I always had to wear jeans when I go out because I am embarrassed of my scar. I am using melatonin cream now, but I can't see its progress in me.

Comment from: Need Ur Help, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am 33years old and I've been living with vitiligo since I was 7years old. I have vitiligo over most of my body and would like a change for once in my life. My face is the main place that it covers and I would wear makeup when I feel up to it from time to time. Can you help me?

Published: July 23

Hello, I am a Pakistani aged about 42 years and facing vitiligo since 1985. At the initial stage of my problem, I was unable to response it properly so it spread. Later, I was under different treatments from time to time. I was given a local treatment in which powder of "BABCHI" (Urdu name of an herb) is given. The treatment was not effective on me though I saw other patients getting cured. I approached to Homeopathic doctors but there was no healing though I saw some other patients getting a little better through homeopathic treatment. I approached to the most famous skin specialist of Pakistan, but treatment prescribed to me was too difficult to continue for a long time and there was not any improvement. I got treatment from a place where Ultraviolet lights chambers are used. This treatment was really very effective but it was too long and due to personal reasons I discontinued it, so I could not get a complete cure. I used fruit and leaves of NEEM TREE (Niboli) these are very effective in initial weeks of treatment but later it feels as if there is no further progress/betterment.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter