Good nutrition is much more than something to fill your stomach -- what you eat can affect your health, energy, and well-being in so many ways. Here's how to get the vitamins and minerals you need through food and nutritional supplements. Read more: Vitamins, Minerals and Nutritional Supplements Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Brain Food Pictures: What to Eat to Boost Focus
Learn how to increase concentration and boost memory. Brain foods such as fish (omega 3 fatty acids), berries, fruits, nuts,...
Cholesterol Levels: What the Numbers Mean
Do you know the different cholesterol levels and what they mean? Learn the alphabet soup of cholesterol testing: LDL, HDL, good,...
Vitamin D Deficiency: How Much Vitamin D Is Enough?
What does vitamin D do? Learn about vitamin D benefits and discover foods that are high in vitamin D. Explore vitamin D...
Fibromyalgia Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment
What is fibromyalgia? Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition that causes pain and stiffness of the tendons, muscles, and joints....
Vitamins and Supplements: Test Your Medical IQ
Take the Vitamins & Supplements Quiz to learn just how many essential vitamins your body needs to function!...
Superfoods Quiz: List of Top Superfoods
Take our Superfoods Quiz! Get to know how unprocessed, raw, organic foods and healthy drinks are rich in nutrients and dietary...
What Is Osteoporosis? Treatment, Symptoms, Medication
Osteoporosis is a disease characterized by low bone mass and density. Osteoporosis causes symptoms of weak, thin, fragile bones....
Natural Remedies for Cold and Flu
What natural remedies work for the flu and common cold? Many claim cold symptoms and flu symptoms can be relieved with Echinacea,...
The Benefits of Omega 3 Foods on Heart Health
What are the benefits of omega 3 fatty acids? Learn how Omega 3 rich foods like fish oil, salmon, walnuts, & more can boost brain...
Digestive Health: 10 Probiotic Foods That Help Digestion
Probiotics are beneficial bacteria and yeasts found in probiotic foods and fermented products like kimchi, kombucha, and kefir....
Foods to Boost Your Energy and Mood
Learn which foods may boost your energy level and have a positive impact on your mood. Foods such as salmon, Brazil nuts, and...
Anti-Aging Pictures: Get Rid of Wrinkles, Dark Circles, and More
Want to learn skin and beauty secrets to look younger? See before and after pictures of how real women can take years off their...
Top 10 Foods for Healthy Hair
Watch this slideshow to learn the Top 10 Foods for Healthy Hair. See which foods will provide essential nutrients, vitamins and...
Top 15 Immune System Boosters
Immune system boosters include foods, supplements, and lifestyle habits to help you fight off infections. A healthy immune system...
Vegetarian Diet: Tasty, Basic Choices in Pictures
Thinking about becoming a vegetarian? Compared to the general population, the typical vegetarian has a lower body mass index...
High Protein Diets: Good or Bad?
Low-carb, high-protein diets are quite popular. High protein diets let you snack on protein-rich foods you love, but what are the...
Healthy Seeds: 11 Edible Super Seeds for Better Nutrition
Are pumpkin seeds good for your health? What's the nutritional value of chia seeds? Find out how to easily incorporate more...
Organic Foods in Pictures: To Buy or Not to Buy Organic
Some organic fruits and vegetables come with additional benefits, while others are identical to their conventional counterparts....
Related Disease Conditions
Canker Sores (Causes, Home Remedies, Treatment, and Prevention)
Canker sores are a common complaint, and are small ulcers on the inside of the mouth. Canker sores aren't contagious (as opposed...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Vitamin D Deficiency
Vitamin D deficiency has been linked with rickets, cancer, cardiovascular disease, severe asthma in children and cognitive...
Learn about osteoporosis, a condition characterized by the loss of bone density, which leads to an increased risk of bone...
Cervical cancer is cancer of the entrance to the womb (uterus). Regular pelvic exams and Pap testing can detect precancerous...
There are many causes of scalp hair loss. This featured article covers the common ones such as patchy hair loss (alopecia areata,...
Osteopenia is a bone condition characterized by bone loss that is not as severe as in osteoporosis. Bone fracture is the typical...
Iron is a mineral our bodies need. Iron deficiency is a condition resulting from not enough iron in the body. It is the most...
Hemochromatosis (Iron Overload)
Hereditary hemochromatosis (iron overload) is an inherited disorder in which there is excessive accumulation of iron in the body....
Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach)
Indigestion (dyspepsia) can be caused by diseases or conditions that involve the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, and also by some...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Hypercalcemia (Elevated Calcium Levels)
Hypercalcemia is a condition in which calcium levels in the blood are elevated. Hypercalcemia is associated with other conditions...
Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is a disease that gradually destroys the central vision. In people over 60, AMD is a...
Ulcerative Colitis Diet
An ulcerative colitis diet plan can help a person with the disease avoid foods and drinks that trigger flares. There also are...
Hot Flashes (Causes, Symptoms & Medication Treatment in Men and Women)
Hot flashes (or flushing) is the most common symptom experienced by a woman prior to and during the early stages of menopause,...
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)
Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) is considered a severe form of premenstrual syndrome (PMS). PMDD has also been referred to...
Vitamins and Calcium Supplements
Vitamins are organic substances that are essential for the proper growth and functioning of the body. Calcium is a mineral...
Are Canker Sores Contagious?
Canker sores or aphthous ulcers are one of the most common causes of painful sores in the mouth. The actual cause of canker sores...
COPD vs. Emphysema (Differences Similarities)
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is the term doctors and other health care professionals use to describe a group of...
Retinitis pigmentosa (RP) is a genetic condition that causes retinal degeneration and eventual vision loss. Symptoms include...
Menstrual Cramps and Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) Medication Guide
Menstrual cramps and premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms include abdominal cramping, bloating, a feeling of fullness, abdominal...
Heart Attacks in Women
Heart disease, particularly coronary artery disease is the leading cause of heart attacks. Women are more likely to die from a...
High Cholesterol: Frequently Asked Questions
Cholesterol occurs naturally in the body. High blood cholesterol levels increase a person's risk of developing heart disease,...
How to Lower Your Cholesterol
Cholesterol is naturally produced by the body, and is a building block for cell membranes and hormones. Low-density lipoprotein...
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis Treatment (PBC)
Primary biliary sclerosis (PBC) is thought to be an autoimmune disorder that involves the deterioration of the liver's small bile...
Colon Cancer Prevention
Colo-rectal cancer is both curable and preventable if it is detected early and completely removed before the cancerous cells...
Vitamins & Exercise: Heart Attack Prevention Series
Vitamins and exercise can lower your risk for heart attack and heart disease. Folic acid, vitamins, and homocysteine levels are...
Heart Attack Prevention
Heart disease and heart attacks can be prevented by leading a healthy lifestyle with diet, exercise, and stress management....
Oral Health and Bone Disease
Osteoporosis may be linked to bone loss in the jaw, which in turn, leads to tooth loss. Low bone density may result in...
Periodic Paralysis Syndrome (Types, Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Diet)
Periodic paralysis syndrome comprises several types of rare muscle diseases in which a person experiences temporary muscle...
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Diet: Foods to Eat, Foods to Avoid
Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is a name for a group of diseases in which there is inflammation of the digestive tract...
Certain behavioral, lifestyle, and environmental factors contribute to cancer. Cancer prevention involves modifying these factors...
Pregnancy Diet (Menu Plans)
When a woman is pregnant she needs more vitamins, minerals, and other foods in her diet to stay healthy and deliver a healthy...
Headaches are a common complaint for many people. There are many types of headaches such as migraine, tension, cluster, and the...
Juvenile Bone Health
Setting a good example for your children when it comes to diet and exercise will help them to make healthy decisions about...
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- phentermine (Adipex-P, Lomaira)
- vitamin D (Drisdol (Vitamin D2), Ergocalciferol (Vitamin D2), Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3)
- MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) Dietary Supplement
- vitamin A (Oral Natures Way Vitamin A, Now Foods Vitamin A, GNC Vitamin A, and many more brands)
- orlistat (Xenical, alli)
- omega-3-acid ethyl esters
Prevention & Wellness
- Can You Trust the Labels on Your Supplements?
- Too Little of This Vitamin Could Harm Young Hearts
- Could Common Vitamin Supplements Raise Lung Cancer Risk?
- Americans Taking More Prescription Drugs Than Ever: Survey
- Many Americans May Be Taking Too Much Vitamin D
- Could a Daily Vitamin Curb Smog's Effect on the Heart?
- Multivitamins May Not Help Men's Hearts, Even When Diet Is Poor
- The Saltiest Foods May Surprise You
- High Doses of Vitamin D Fail to Cut Cancer Risk, Study Finds
- No Evidence Fish Oil in Pregnancy Makes for Brainier Kids
- Vitamin E, Selenium Supplements Won't Curb Men's Dementia Risk
- Fish Oil Pills May Help After Heart Attack, Specialists Say
- Can Supplements Ward Off the 'Baby Blues'?
- Older Bones Benefit From Dairy Plus Vitamin D
- How Much Melatonin Is Really in That Supplement?
- Maker of Memory Supplement Charged With Fraud
- Health Tip: Get Enough Vitamin C
- Vitamin E, Selenium Don't Cut Colon Cancer Risk: Study
- GNC Pays $2.5 Million to Settle Improper Labeling Investigation
- Calcium Supplements May Not Be Heart Healthy
- What Is Kratom? Why Does the DEA Want to Ban It?
- Diet Supplement May Help Prevent Kidney Stones: Study
- Tanning May Limit Skin's Ability to Produce Vitamin D: Study
- Vitamin D Boosts Heart Function in Study
- Vitamin D While Pregnant Won't Boost Most Infants' Bone Health, Study Says
- IBS Linked to Low Vitamin D
- Charges Filed Against Makers of Nutritional Supplements
- Health Tip: Potassium is an Essential Mineral
- B Vitamin May Help Ward Off Some Skin Cancers
- Men's Health Supplements Don't Benefit Prostate Cancer Patients: Study
- FDA Warns of Hazards From Imported Supplements
- Dietary Supplements Send Thousands to ER Each Year
- Mineral Supplement: Wild Chimps May Eat Clay for Health
- Vitamin B12 Supplements May Not Help Some Seniors
- Many Hospital Patients Not Asked About Supplements: Study
- Health Food Stores Often Promote Adult-Only Supplements to Teens
- Creatine Linked to Testicular Cancer
- Untested Stimulant Still in Dietary Supplements
- Vitamin D Supplements Might Slow Prostate Cancer, Study Suggests
- Vitamin D May Boost Colon Cancer Survival, Study Finds
- Cancer Doctors Don't Discuss Herbs, Supplements With Patients
- Many Consumers Misled About Bogus Weight-Loss Supplements, Survey Says
- Low Levels of Vitamin D May Raise Early Death Risk: Study
- B Vitamins May Not Boost Memory or Thinking, Study Suggests
- FDA: Supplements, Meds Can Be Dangerous Mix
- Could Vitamin D Make Childbirth Less Painful?
- FDA: Bee Pollen Weight Loss Products Pose Health Risks
- Vitamin D: A Key to a Longer Life?
- Healthy Adults Shouldn't Take Vitamin E, Beta Carotene: Expert Panel
- FAQ: Vitamins to Prevent Cancer, Heart Disease?
- Vitamin E, Selenium Supplements Might Double Chances of Prostate Cancer
- Vitamin D Supplements: FAQ
- Vitamin D Supplements Won't Help Prevent Disease: Review
- OxyElite Pro Dietary Supplements Recalled
- No Good Data For or Against Taking Vitamins, Experts Say
- Study: Vitamin D Supplements May Not Raise Risk for Kidney Stones
- Vitamin D Alone Doesn't Boost Bone Health, Study Says
- Vitamin B Supplements May Guard Against Stroke
- Herbal Meds, Cosmetic Surgery a Bad Mix: Experts
- Many Docs Don't Discuss Dietary Supplements, Study Says
- Iodine Supplements May Be Too Much of a Good Thing
- Fish Oil Pills Might Cut Diabetes Risk, Researchers Say
- Extra Vitamin D May Ease Crohn's Symptoms, Study Finds
- FDA Warns Against Sale of Sports Supplements in U.S.
- Study: Mega Vitamins Won't Help After Heart Attack, Chelation Treatment Might
- Do Vitamin Supplements Make Sense?
- Healthy Older Women Advised Against Taking Calcium
- Folic Acid in Pregnancy May Lower Autism Risk
- Calcium Supplements May Raise Odds of Heart Death in Women
- Vitamin D Supplements: Is What You See What You Get?
- Scientists Explore How Zinc Fights Off Infection
- Which Fats Really Are Good for Your Heart?
- High Doses of Vitamin C May Raise Risk of Kidney Stones
- Calcium Supplements May Raise Men's Death Risk From Heart Disease
- With Benefits Unproven, Why Do Millions of Americans Take Multivitamins?
- Can Brightly Colored Fruits, Veggies Protect Against ALS?
- How Much Caffeine in That Supplement? Hard to Tell
- Family Meals Encourage Kids to Eat More Veggies, Fruit: Study
- Whey Protein, Amino Acids May Boost Fat Loss
- Despite FDA Warning, Sports Supplements Still Available Online: Study
- Do Older Adults Need Vitamins, Supplements?
- Vitamin D in Pregnancy May Be Key to Women's Risk for MS, Study Says
- Supplement Use Widespread Among Americans
- Muscle-Building Teens May Go to Extremes, Study Finds
- Multivitamins Do Not Prevent Heart Disease
- Fish, But Not Fish Oil Supplements, May Shield Against Stroke
- Millions May Be Taking Vitamin D Unnecessarily, Analysis Suggests
- Calcium May Help Prevent Hormone Disorder
- Multivitamins May Help Prevent Cancer
- Multivitamins Won't Boost Standard HIV Care, Study Finds
- B Vitamin Supplements Don't Affect Colon Cancer Risk: Study
- Zinc Harder to Absorb in Old Age, Animal Study Shows
- Fish Oil Fizzles for Fighting Heart Attack, Stroke
- Vitamin D Supplements Won't Help Cholesterol Levels: Study
- Fish Oil for Infants No Help for Allergies
- Vitamins, Minerals May Help Older Men's Sperm Stay Healthy
- Vitamin D May Thwart Kids' Winter Colds
- Calcium, Vitamin D Supplements May Pose Risks for Men With Prostate Cancer
- Nothing Natural About Dietary Supplement DMAA: Study
- Fish Oil Doesn't Lower Heart Risk in Diabetics
- Antioxidants Might Help Cut Pancreatic Cancer Risk, Study Suggests
- Vitamin D May Delay Deterioration of Smokers' Lungs: Study
- Vitamin B12 May Boost Hep C Treatment
- Higher Doses of Vitamin D Prevent Fractures in Older Women
- Vitamin D Deficiency Linked to Depression
- Low Vitamin B6 Linked to Inflammation
- Vitamin D With Calcium May Boost Survival
- Omega-3 Supplements May Not Aid Aging Brain
- Vitamin D and Calcium Pills: Task Force Report
- Fish Oil Won't Save Diabetics' Hearts, Research Suggests
- Ginseng Capsules Seem to Ease Cancer-Related Fatigue
- Study Finds Soy Supplements Don't Boost Thinking Skills
- More Vitamin D Might Help Older People Stay Active
- Japanese-American Men With Low Vitamin-D Diet Face Higher Stroke Risk
- Calcium Supplements May Raise Heart Attack Risk
- Body Building, Diet Supplements Linked to Liver Damage: Study
- Chinese Herb Kudzu May Help Drinkers Cut Down
- Probiotics Reduce Antibiotic Diarrhea
- Is Workout Supplement Ingredient DMAA Safe?
- Zinc May Slightly Help Adults With Colds, Not Kids
- Fish, Flaxseed May Lower Alzheimer's Risk
- Fish Oil Doesn't Cut Failure Rate of Hemodialysis Grafts
- Health Highlights: April 30, 2012
- Study Explores Fish Oil's Healthy Effect on Heart
- Extra Vitamin C May Help Lower Blood Pressure
- Fish Oil Supplements Won't Help in Multiple Sclerosis: Study
- Herbal Remedy Ingredient Tied to Cancer, Kidney Failure
- Thyme's Time as an Acne Remedy May Be Coming Soon
- Vitamin D Doesn't Help Kids Do Better in School, Study Finds
- Omega-3 Supplements No Help Against Repeat Heart Trouble: Review
- Taking Multivitamins Won't Prevent Canker Sores, Study Says
- Vitamin E Fails to Prevent Heart Failure
- Antioxidants May Not Help Alzheimer's Patients
- More Insight on Possible Role of Vitamin D Against Alzheimer's
- Vitamin D May Cut Stress Fracture Risk in Girls
- Lack of Vitamin D May Harm Older Women's Health
- Taurine May Help Women's Hearts
- Mouse Study Suggests Vitamin E May Weaken Bones
- Vitamin A May Help Reduce Melanoma Risk
- Most Americans Don't Need Extra Selenium
- Vitamin D May Ease Painful Periods
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids Help Brain Age Better
- Vitamin D May Not Boost Heart Health in Kidney Patients
- No Cancer Benefit From Vitamin B, Omega-3 Supplements in Heart Patients
- Soy Supplements May Not Shield Against Breast Cancer
- Diet Patterns Linked With Brain Health
- Are the Benefits of Vitamin D Overhyped?
- Some Fish Oil Supplements Fishy on Quality
- Federal Agencies Act to Remove hCG Weight Loss Products
- Study: 'Thyroid Support' Supplements May Be Risky
- Can Supplements Increase a Woman's Risk of Dying?
- Use of Dietary Supplements on the Rise
- Higher Vitamin D Intake Could Cut Cancer Risk
- Vitamin D Levels at Birth May Predict Obesity Risk
- Study: Calcium May Increase Heart Attack Risk
- Vitamins D and E May Affect Dementia Risk
- Vitamin E May Lower Women's Lung Disease Risk
- Multivitamins May Cut Breast Cancer Risk
- Supplement May Give Older Athletes an Edge
- Kitchens, Bathrooms No Place for Vitamins
- Milk for Mom May Lower Baby's MS Risk
- Cholesterol Facts
- 10 Ways to Help Boost Your Good Cholesterol
- The Truth About Vitamin D
- FDA Warns Consumers to Stop Using Hydroxycut Products
- Weight Loss and Nutrition Myths
- Vitamin D: Are You Getting Enough?
- Vegetarian Diets
- Heart Health and Nutrition
- Vitamins: Separating Fact From Fiction
- Vitamins: The ABCs of Vitamins
- Nutritional Supplements: 5 Popular Supplements Scrutinized
- Vitamins: Test Your Supplements Savvy
- Skin Care: Nutrients for Healthy Skin
- Beta-Carotene in Food is a Good Thing
- Nutritional Supplements: Taking Too Many Vitamins?
- Vitamin D: Vital Role in Your Health
- Vitamins & Minerals to Boost Brainpower
- Vitamin and Mineral Sources
- Vitamins: How-To Guide for a Healthier Body
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter