Vitamins and exercise can lower your risk for heart attack and heart disease. Folic acid, vitamins, and homocysteine levels are interconnected and affect your risk for heart disease or heart attack. For better heart health, avoid the following:
- fried foods,
- hard margarine,
- commercial baked goods,
- most packaged and processed snack foods,
- high fat dairy, and
- processed meats such as bacon, sausage, and deli meats.
- lowering cholesterol,
- lowering blood pressure,
- diabetes prevention, and
- smoking cesssation.
- Eat whole, natural, fresh foods,
- eat five to 10 servings of fruits and vegetables daily,
- eat more omega-3 fatty acids,
- drink water, tea, non-fat dairy and red wine,
- eat lean proteins,
- limit glycemic foods, and
- exercise daily.
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Vitamins and Supplements: Test Your Medical IQ
Take the Vitamins & Supplements Quiz to learn just how many essential vitamins your body needs to function!...
Superfoods Quiz: List of Top Superfoods
Take our Superfoods Quiz! Get to know how unprocessed, raw, organic foods and healthy drinks are rich in nutrients and dietary...
Diet and Nutrition Quiz: Plans & Facts
Even if you think you're getting enough fruits and vegetables per day, how can you be sure? Take the Diet & Nutrition Quiz to...
Cholesterol Levels: What the Numbers Mean
Do you know the different cholesterol levels and what they mean? Learn the alphabet soup of cholesterol testing: LDL, HDL, good,...
Food Swaps for Meals and Snacks for Heart Health in Pictures
Explore 10 food swaps for heart-wise dining. Learn what food to buy and how to cook in order to make a big difference for your...
Related Disease Conditions
Angina (Symptoms, Causes, Types, Diagnosis, and Treatment)
Angina is chest pain due to inadequate blood supply to the heart. Angina symptoms may include chest tightness, burning,...
Cholesterol (Lowering Your Cholesterol)
High cholesterol and triglyceride levels increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. Getting your cholesterol and triglyceride...
A heart attack happens when a blood clot completely obstructs a coronary artery supplying blood to the heart muscle. A heart...
Pericarditis (Symptoms, ECG, Types, Causes, Treatment)
Pericarditis is the inflammation of the pericardial sac that surrounds the heart. The causes of pericarditis include injury from...
Stroke Causes, Warning Signs, Symptoms, and Treatments
A stroke is an interruption of the blood supply to part of the brain caused by either a blood clot (ischemic) or bleeding...
Peripheral Vascular Disease
Peripheral vascular disease (PVD) refers to diseases of the blood vessels (arteries and veins) located outside the heart and...
Vitamins and Calcium Supplements
Vitamins are organic substances that are essential for the proper growth and functioning of the body. Calcium is a mineral...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Heart Attack Prevention
Heart disease and heart attacks can be prevented by leading a healthy lifestyle with diet, exercise, and stress management....
Healthy Living and Disease Prevention
The importance of a healthy lifestyle in disease prevention is widely understood and most people know that lifestyle changes and...
There are many causes of scalp hair loss. This featured article covers the common ones such as patchy hair loss (alopecia areata,...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Smoker's Lung: Pathology Photo Essay
Smoker's lung photo essay is a collection of pictures and microscopic slides of lung disease caused by cigarette smoking....
How the Heart Works
The heart is a very important organ in the body. It is responsible for continuously pumping oxygen and nutrient-rich blood...
Carotid Artery Disease
The term carotid artery disease refers to the narrowing of the carotid arteries and can also be called carotid stenosis. Fatty...
Stretch marks occur in the dermis, the elastic middle layer of skin that allows it to retain its shape. When the skin is...
Vitamins & Exercise: Heart Attack Prevention Series
Vitamins and exercise can lower your risk for heart attack and heart disease. Folic acid, vitamins, and homocysteine levels are...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Heart Attack Treatment
A heart attack involves damage or death of part of the heart muscle due to a blood clot. The aim of heart attack treatment is to...
Chest pain is a common complaint by a patient in the ER. Causes of chest pain include broken or bruised ribs, pleurisy,...
Heart disease (coronary artery disease) occurs when plaque builds up in the coronary arteries, the vessels that supply blood to...
Blood clots can occur in the venous and arterial vascular system. Blood clots can form in the heart, legs, arteries, veins,...
Orthostatic hypotension symptoms include: LightheadednessWeaknessBlurred vision Syncope or passing out Causes of...
Juvenile Bone Health
Setting a good example for your children when it comes to diet and exercise will help them to make healthy decisions about...
Osteopenia is a bone condition characterized by bone loss that is not as severe as in osteoporosis. Bone fracture is the typical...
Vitamin D Deficiency
Vitamin D deficiency has been linked with rickets, cancer, cardiovascular disease, severe asthma in children and cognitive...
Low Cholesterol Diet
Cholesterol is naturally produced by the body, and is a building block for cell membranes and hormones. Low-density lipoprotein...
Heart Attack Prevention Overview
Heart attacks are the major causes of unexpected, sudden death among men and women. A heart attack also is a significant cause...
Prediabetes is a situation where a person's blood sugar levels are higher than they should be, but aren't high enough to be...
Atrial Flutter (Symptoms, Causes, ECG, and Treatments)
Atrial flutter is a problem with the atria of the heart. In atrial flutter the atria of the heart rapidly and repeatedly beat...
Lipodystrophy (Acquired, Generalized, Inherited)
Lipodystrophy is a syndrome in which fat deposits accumulate all over the body, or sometimes just portions of it, like just the...
Type 1 vs Type 2 Diabetes (Similarities and Differences)
Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic condition in which a person's blood sugar (glucose) levels are too high. Over 29.1 million...
HDL vs. LDL Cholesterol (Differences, Normal Ranges, Meanings)
HDL (high-density lipoprotein), or the "good" cholesterol, and LDL (low-density lipoprotein), or the "bad"...
Heart Attack vs. Stroke Symptoms, Differences, and Similarities
Heart attack usually is caused by a clot that stops blood flow supplying oxygen to an area of heart muscle, which results in...
High-Sensitivity Troponin Test
The high-sensitive troponin test can detect very low levels of troponin T in the blood. (There are three types of cardiac...
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- colestipol (Colestid)
- warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven)
- Lipitor (atorvastatin)
- lisinopril (Zestril, Prinivil, Qbrelis) ACE Inhibitor
- Zocor (simvastatin)
- felodipine (Plendil)
- alteplase (TPA, Activase, Cathflo Activase)
- Aspirin Therapy (Guidelines for Heart Attack and Stroke Prevention)
- folic acid (folate, vitamin B9, FA-8, Folacin, Folic Acid, GNC Folic Acid 400, and many more)
- vitamin b-12/folic acid/vitamin b-6 - oral, Folgard, Folgard RX 2.2, Foltx
- folic acid/niacinamide (nicotinamide)/copper/zinc - oral, Nicomide
- dopamine (Intropin)
- vitamin b complex - oral, Nephro-vite, Nephrocaps, Triph
- folic acid - injection, Folvite
- Nitrates (Medication)
- Vitamin E (Aquasol E)
- Repatha (evolocumab)
- Anticoagulants (Anticoagulant Drug Class)
- Beta Blocker Side Effects (Adverse Effects)
- Vasodilators (Drug Class Side Effects, List of Names)
Prevention & Wellness
- Heart Attack Rehab at Home Could Save Lives
- The Surprising Benefits of Weekend Workouts
- Many Women With Heart Disease Falling Short on Exercise
- Skipping Breakfast Could Be a Bad Move for Your Heart
- Veggies, Fruits and Grains Keep Your Heart Pumping
- Aortic Valve Disease Does Its Damage Slowly
- AHA News: Here's How Middle-Aged People -- Especially Women -- Can Avoid a Heart Attack
- New Evidence That Veggies Beat Steak for Heart Health
- Timing of Meals Can Influence Heart Attack Recovery
- Your Life Span May Be Foretold in Your Heart Beats
- AHA News: Is Yoga Heart-Healthy? It's No Stretch to See Benefits, Science Suggests
- Just a Little More Exercise Can Add Years to Your Life
- The Earlier You Develop Type 2 Diabetes, the Greater Your Heart Risks
- AHA News: How Can Therapy for Heart Attack Patients Help Cancer Survivors?
- Heart Deaths Declined After Obamacare Began
- How to Start a Walking Group
- Stay Away From Sugary Sodas, Spare Your Heart
- The Benefits of a Home Rowing Machine
- Heart Attacks Fall By One-Third Among Older Americans
- Even Housework, Gardening Can Help an Older Woman's Heart
- Docs Back Away From Low-Dose Aspirin for Heart Attack Prevention
- Are Enhanced Waters Better for Your Health?
- For an Energizing Workout, Take It Outside
- Bystanders Key to Cutting Cardiac Arrest Deaths
- Did You Wait Until Middle Age to Get Fit? It Could Still Boost Your Life Span
- Heart Attacks Striking More Young Adults
- Recipe for a Healthy Heart: Big Breakfasts, Less TV
- AHA News: A Home Near 'Green Space' Could Cut Heart Attack Risk
- Study Urges Seniors to Get Moving to Live Longer
- An Outdoor Plan for Walking and Running
- AHA News: Is Long-Distance Running Good for the Heart?
- AHA News: For the Best Health, Does the Intensity of Your Workout Matter?
- Brief Morning Exercise Helps Ease Blood Pressure Throughout the Day
- Food or Heart Meds? Many Americans Must Make a Choice
- Better Heart Care Saves U.S. Billions a Year, Study Finds
- Exercise Your Right to Fight Disease
- An Upbeat Attitude Might Help Prevent 2nd Stroke
- 'Extreme' Exercise No Danger to Middle-Aged Hearts: Study
- Small Fitness Gains Provide Big Heart Disease Protection: Study
- Take the Stairs: An 'Exercise Snack' Can Do Wonders for Your Heart and Lungs
- A Prescription for Feeling Young Forever
- Heart-Healthy Living Also Wards Off Type 2 Diabetes
- Why Your Heart Needs a Good Night's Sleep
- Working Out Your Exercise Schedule
- Take High Blood Pressure Meds? Exercise Might Work Just as Well
- Take It Outside! The Benefits of Exercising Outdoors
- How the Mediterranean Diet Can Help Women's Hearts
- Surmounting That Fitness Plateau
- Have Heart Failure? Flu Shot May Save Your Life
- Obesity Ups Survival in Heart Failure, but That's No Reason to Pile on Pounds
- Another Plus to Cardiac Rehab: Better Sex
- More Green Space May Mean a Healthier Heart
- What Couch Potatoes Don't Know Can Hurt Them
- Saunas Seem to Do a Heart Good, Research Shows
- Just a Little Weightlifting Can Help Your Heart
- Fish, Fish Oil May Lower Your Heart Attack Risk
- Does Stroke Run in Your Family? Healthy Living Lowers the Risk
- Health Tip: It's Never Too Late to Exercise
- Health Tip: Exercise More
- Hey Home Exercisers, Sometimes Gym Classes Offer Added Benefits
- Fish Oil Pill Cuts Heart Dangers for High-Risk Patients
- 'Fitcations' Are a Great Way to Shape Up
- Fitter Folks Suffer Milder Strokes: Study
- Health Tip: A Nutritious Diet Can Help Your Heart
- To Help Beat Heart Disease, Stay Upbeat
- Even High-Fat Dairy Might Be Good for You
- Exercise Doesn't Affect Timing of Menopause, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Reduce Your Risk of Heart Disease
- Walking, Exercise Both Linked to Lower Heart Failure in Older Women
- 5 Smart Ways to Prepare for Elective Surgery
- Aspirin, Fish Oil May Not Prevent Heart Trouble in Those Already at Risk
- Eating Before Early Workout Helps Burn Carbs
- Exercise Really Can Chase Away the Blues … to a Point
- How Much Daily Exercise Do You Really Need?
- Health Tip: Get Active
- What Foods Are Really Best for Your Heart?
- Fit at Midlife May Mean Healthier Brain, Stronger Heart Later
- Mediterranean Diet Scores Again for Heart Health
- Fish Oil May Protect the Youngest Hearts
- Supplements Won't Help Prevent Heart Disease: Study
- Can the Mediterranean Diet Protect Against Smog-Related Deaths?
- Commuters: Pedal Your Way to Better Heart Health
- How Exercise Helps Your Heart
- Start Exercising to Cut Your Heart Failure Risk
- Eating Nuts Linked to Lower Odds of Having AFib
- Go Nuts for Heart Health
- Exercise Cuts Heart Risks, Regardless of Your Genes
- Here's How to Pack Protein Into Your Diet
- Veggies a Healthy Recipe for Older Women's Hearts
- Key Heart Risks Decline for Older Americans
- More Bad Flu News: It May Raise Your Heart Attack Risk
- Majority of U.S. Adults Have Poor Heart Health: Study
- Health Tip: Suggestions to Improve Your Cholesterol
- Health Tip: Waist Size May Help Predict Heart Attack
- Vitamin D3 May Benefit Heart Surgery Patients
- As Years Spent Obese Rise, So Do Heart Dangers
- No 'Obesity Paradox'? The Overweight May Not Live Longer
- Step Up Your Strength Training
- Two Healthy Diets Equally Good for Your Heart
- Kidney Disease a Big Contributor to Heart-Related Deaths: Study
- Exercisers May Have Better Shot of Surviving Heart Attack
- Athletic Trainers' Group Advises Heart Tests for Young Athletes
- Can Brightly Colored Fruits, Veggies Protect Against ALS?
- Multivitamins Do Not Prevent Heart Disease
- Extra Vitamin C May Help Lower Blood Pressure
- Vitamin D Doesn't Help Kids Do Better in School, Study Finds
- Use of Dietary Supplements on the Rise
- Weight Management
- Red Yeast Rice and Cholesterol
- Weight Loss
- Benefits of Exercise
- Atkins Diet
- Disease Prevention & Awareness
- Vitamins, Minerals and Nutritional Supplements
- Workout Routines & Ideas
- Weight Lifting (Resistance Exercise)
- Aerobic Exercise
- Tai Chi
- Senior Exercise
- Interval Training
- Vegetarian and Vegan Diet
- Best Life Diet