Patient Comments: Vitamin D Deficiency - Tests

What were your reasons for getting tested for a vitamin D deficiency? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Jonathon, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I am affected by weather changes. Sudden highs/sudden lows would leave me feeling like I went through a meat grinder. I have whole body ache, extreme fatigue and brain fog. Often I am very sleepy, sometimes I am mentally/emotionally fine, other times I feel depressed, as if there is pressure on brain. Headaches are always part of the weakness. I am 65 and in excellent health. I am health conscious, a strict vegetarian, no alcohol, no drugs; good wholesome outlook on life. I meditate. This condition has been getting worse over the years. I am outside a lot, but must not be absorbing vitamin D from the Sun. So I got tested for vitamin D deficiency and the doctor has put me on 50,000 IU of vitamin D twice a week for next 8 weeks.

Comment from: linda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

After having a total thyroidectomy the endocrinologist checked my vitamin D level and I was below 5. I am taking the 50,000 UI once a week for 8 weeks. I didn't even know it was low. I am glad she checked.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

My reasons for getting tested for a vitamin D deficiency were feeling very cold, especially on my knees and thighs, getting goose bumps, losing weight, and developing dark marks around the eyes.

Comment from: LF, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 2013. I am currently taking 100 mcg of levothyroxine. I went back to the general physician as I was still feeling symptoms of (what I thought was) my thyroid not working properly, namely, tiredness/fatigue, lack of motivation to get up and go, brain fog (confused a lot), anxiety and depression. I also had diarrhea (type 5 or 6) for around a fortnight which wasn't normal for me. I started on the vitamin D supplements yesterday and hoping to see an improvement soon.

Comment from: tobo, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

I checked my Vitamin D as I had recurrent muscular pain on my lower back, and I was diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency. As a supplement I started fish cod liver capsules.

Comment from: Dpl, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

My vitamin D deficiency showed up in my yearly blood test.

Comment from: jess 58, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I suffer from constant belching and gas pain, it turns out that my LDL is high along with low vitamin D. My doctor told me to start taking vitamin D supplement. I ordered red yeast rice 600 mg capsule and vitamin D 1000 IU to take as daily supplement hoping that my symptoms will go away and LDL level will be normal in 6 months.

Comment from: Laramie Morris, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 08

I have been suffering with severe headaches, body aches, bone pains, foggy memory, lack of focus and concentration and insomnia for more than 4 years. Initially I was treated with Prozac and Valium but though the sleep improved, I used to feel tired and exhausted, even after sleeping for 10 hours. I kept on with my medication till one day another doctor suggested that I do a Vitamin D level which turned out to be 0 ng/ml. I have been started on One-Alpha 0.25mcg capsules but I am not improving. I have read the literature and it says that I should get 50,000 IU per week for 8 weeks followed by 10000 IU daily for another 8 weeks followed by 1000 IU daily forever but I don't know how to convert IU into nanograms or micrograms and neither do the pharmacists around.

Comment from: Barb, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 13

My vitamin D is 18.3. I am very tired and also my testosterone is low.

Comment from: daveyo, 65-74 (Patient) Published: October 07

My forefathers moved to a low sun location about 5 generations ago from a high level of sun. Many of my relations seem to suffer low vitamin D level symptoms, which if why I got tested for the deficiency.

Comment from: julianna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I have suffered with depression, severe fatigue, muscle aches, and foggy memory for a couple of years now. I just dx with Vitamin D deficiency and have been prescribed 50iu Vitamin D supplement every two weeks for 2 months. I sure hope it helps!!

View Slideshow Pictures
Comment from: AvidRae, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I had joint pain, muscle ache and fatigue on and off for about 5 years. Also have hypothyroidism and depression. Diagnosis was this week; Vit D3 level was 39 (normal is above 75 as I understand) prescribed 40,000 ui D3 daily for 12 weeks. I will seehow it goes.

Comment from: D-deficient, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I have had bone, joint, abdominal pain, fatigue, muscle cramps and tingling in my arms. I am outside about 4-8 hours a week, but still have low Vitamin D (recent blood test = 10 ng/mL). My doctor just started me on 5,000 iu daily. I am hoping it helps.

Comment from: pineapple, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had lots of bone pain, stomach problems, muscle pain, and leg weakness. I had these problems for at least 20 years. I was told that I had fibro, which I do not have and never had. I always had energy and I was able to work full time. My vitamin D level was as low as 9, and I also had lots of chest pain. No, I do not have heart disease, thank goodness. A cardiologist discovered my vitamin D deficiency through a routine blood test. I also had hyperparathyroidism, due to the vitamin D deficiency, along with osteoporosis.

Comment from: Crystalbelle129, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I had hair loss – about a tablespoon per day after I showered. I also had daily fatigue, even with 8 to 10 hours of sleep each night.

View Slideshow Pictures