Patient Comments: Vitamin D Deficiency - Causes

If known, what were the causes of your vitamin D deficiency? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Ladyalchemist, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I'm a registered nurse and work the 2nd shift. I drive 45 minutes to and from work and when I am off I don't feel like doing anything. I found out from my rheumatologist that my vitamin D level was 14. I've been suffering from extreme fatigue, weight gain, and have gotten every respiratory infection that has been passed around the nursing home. Also severe pain in my back and hips with joint stiffness in my knees, elbows, and back. I thought it was all from my ankylosing spondylitis but now I finally understand why I have been feeling the way I have. The lack of sun and my diet were probably the culprits of my vitamin D deficiency, I recently cut a lot of meat out of my diet to aid in losing weight. I just got prescribed treatment, hopefully it will help soon.

Comment from: Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

There is in my family a history of gluten intolerance and many auto-immune diseases. I had always been very healthy and when my health deteriorated an endocrinologist suggested I might also be gluten intolerant without any celiac symptoms. This proved to be the case and once the gluten was removed from my diet and I started supplementation, my vitamin D levels soared. I had read that the prescription vitamin D2 was not effective so have always used D3 only and my levels are maintained at high levels.

Comment from: OophorDoophor, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I went to the doctor a few times because of increasingly heavier periods and spotting in between periods. I was very concerned, I also was very depressed, brain fogged, achy, tired, and had dizzy spells, increased TMJD (temporomandibular joint disorder) pain, and high blood pressure. Everything tested fine (thyroid and AC1, CBC) and I was told that I was just getting to that age. My new gynecologist asked a simple question at the end of my first visit with her, I had just moved to Oregon from Arizona 9 months before and she asked if they checked my vitamin D. It was a 9. I started therapy and all the above symptoms nearly vanished in a few months. My periods were back to normal and TMJD better than it has been in years. Besides moving to a northern cloudy area I think I have digestive issues and am going to see a holistic doctor for them to give me a good look at and see what I can do lifestyle wise. Good luck to you all!

Comment from: Christina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I have hypothyroidism. I read people with this condition often are low on D vitamins. I asked my doctor to test me and yes, I"m low. I take 4,000 IU and will retest in 4 months.

Comment from: Hadis, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have vitamin D deficiency. I think it is because of my diet. I am on vegetarian diet and I have a little milk products allergy.

Comment from: donna h, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I get my results tomorrow. My symptoms have been, I am very tired all the time, unable to sleep, pins and needles in hands and feet, my thyroid levels have hit the roof again, my vision is strained and sometimes blurry, and my head feels fuzzy in some way. I do not feel normal in anyway or form and now am losing my hair. I had blood tests done over 3 months ago which should have been acted on. All I know is it is something to do with my vitamin D. I will know more tomorrow.

Comment from: Sheri, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I've been chewing nicotine gum for almost 9 years. About 6 weeks ago half of my hair fell out. I googled long term effects of nicotine gum and found a bunch of people who have been losing their hair too. I quit the gum a day later. Hair loss slowed down a lot. I am having cognitive problems too. Guess I need to contact my doctor to check for vitamin D deficiency.

Comment from: lindyloo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

My blood test came back with a vitamin D percentage of 18.7. I get lots of sun but do not take vitamins because of stomach problems. I wonder if there is some other organ that is not working correctly, to account for the low D.

Comment from: Naima, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 14

My mom has 22 level when tested for vitamin D. She has bone cancer.

Comment from: Jewels, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

My vitamin D level was diagnosed at a whopping "2". Besides having worked a graveyard shift for 10+ years and living in a region too hot to be outside for the last 5, I was also on the Depo-Provera shot for nearly 10 years prior to be told that it "may result in loss of significant bone mineral density" and that I should have been taking both calcium and vitamin D during this time. I have experienced increased neuropathies from my knees to my feet, hair loss, dark circles on my eyelids, and extreme fatigue. I am glad to know that I am not alone in my general symptoms though.

View Slideshow Pictures
Comment from: me, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I am allergic to eggs and got intolerance for a few more products which caused my vitamin D deficiency.

Comment from: Casey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I have vitamin D level of 22 and multiple sclerosis. My doctor has me on 50,000 IU vitamin D once a week and 5000 daily. I experience extreme fatigue and chronic recurrence of bacterial vaginosis.

Comment from: ChelleBelle, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I was tired, achy, fizzy brained at times, and my hand would go numb. I just thought I was exhausted from work until my hair started falling out. I thought it could be My thyroid but lo and behold, my Vitamin D was only a 14. Doc put me on 50,000 IU of Vitamin D, once a week, for 8 weeks, then 800 IU a day after that. Also on 600 mg of calcium and 500 mg of B12 everyday. I hope it helps.

Comment from: Carolina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I had a vitamin d level of 7.4 when tested. Low calcium before that. Symptoms were extreme fatigue, muscle cramps, numbness in hands. Been on 50000 IU of Vitamin D twice a week for 8 weeks. Now on 50,000 every two weeks. Will have follow up in 3 weeks. Took 6 weeks to feel any improvement in energy level. Taking thyroid , BP, and SSRI prior to this. In menopause also. I hope to get some daily sun and continue to take vitamin D supplements. Had no idea before all this how important Vitamin D is to so many other hormones in the body.

Comment from: Jubi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

Possible causes were, I work during the night and sleep in the day. Therefore I have not been spending enough time in the sun.

Comment from: Angela, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

Was shocked to find I had extremely low Vit D levels and that this had allowed a virus to attack my pituitary & pancreatic glands causing a lot of additional problems including Diabetes Insipidus. Being fair skinned I do not sunbathe, but will now have short bursts. Thought I was covered by my Vit D rich diet, but this was clearly not enough. Given all the problems that can be caused by this deficiency, I urge you to get your levels checked if possible.

View Slideshow Pictures