Patient Comments: Vitamin D Deficiency - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with a diagnosis of vitamin D deficiency? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Sean Pereira, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

I went to see the doctor recently, I have just turned 45, but I thought this problem needed addressing as I had put it off for just over a year. I have been feeling tired all the time, and my general physician sent me for a medical test as such, and various blood tests. I just got the results today, turns out I have a vitamin D deficiency and just simply need to take multivitamins, one a day which I purchased as soon as I walked out of the surgery. Who would have thought that a lack of something the sun provides us with can make me feel tired all the time!

Comment from: February, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 03

For nearly two years, I was diagnosed as anemic and had a blood transfusion. It was later determined by a competent practitioner that I am suffering from a vitamin D deficiency. The classic symptoms are applicable. I was extremely fatigued, and could barely get out of bed in the morning, or put one foot in front of the other. Having this correct diagnosis from this competent practitioner recently could have saved two years of agonizing complications. I was not anemic. I have been advised to take 50,000 mg of vitamin D once per week. Yesterday and today, I took a 5000 mg supplement, and I noticed an immediate change in how I feel. I do not feel like I am going to pass out at any second, nor am I extremely fatigued. I have not taken the 50,000 mg yet, but I am grateful that for the first time in years, I was given an accurate diagnosis instead of a diagnosis.

Comment from: Lilly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

After a career in nursing I have been left with severe arthritis of the spine. Recently the pain became much worse and pain relief didn't seem to help. I became forgetful and scatter-brained and life just seemed difficult. I had a full blood count taken at the hospital as they suspect I have an auto immune disease attacking my liver. It was discovered I was vitamin D deficient and have started treatment. I am unable to sit in the sun as I am very fair and have had two cancerous growths removed from my face. Hoping I am soon on the mend.

Comment from: CoCo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

Four years ago I stopped eating egg yolks and a number of fats, and carbs to lose weight for my wedding. Two years ago I started experiencing joint pain in my hands, knees and hips. The pain gradually increased in my hips with the inability to lie on either hip. My hips would sometimes swell with tenderness and warmth to the touch. The joint pain was becoming unbearable when achiness joined in. I attended a seminar last summer that described the symptoms of vitamin D deficiency, all of which I was having. I then made an appointment with my doctor and asked him to test me for the vitamin deficiency. There it was, I was chronically deficient. I was on 2 rounds of weekly 50,000 IU totaling 5 months before my vitamin D levels became therapeutic. I have to continue vitamin D therapy the rest of my life because I am African American, had bariatric surgery, have GERD and hypothyroidism.

Comment from: Maven, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I used to be quite active until one morning, I woke up feeling like someone beat me up. I was achy all over. I thought I caught the flu, but that wasn't it. Since that morning, I have been waking up stiff with achy muscles every morning. I had absolutely no energy for the activities I used to enjoy regularly. Walking up the stairs, even moving my extremities became an effort which caused me pain. After a few months of this with no improvement, I became worried that I might have something seriously wrong with me. At first, my doctor couldn't figure out why I was feeling so run down. Finally last week, she ran a whole panel of blood tests on me. I was then diagnosed with severe vitamin D deficiency. My level was 10, which is way too low. She immediately put me on prescription strength vitamin D liquid which I started taking yesterday. It looks like I have to supplement for 2 months or so in order to get my serum vitamin D up to normal serum levels.

Comment from: Michael, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 20

I was told that I have vitamin D deficiency by my doctor. I have to take one tablet a week for seven weeks. From the first dose I felt better than I have for some time. Don't suffer in silence, get help, you won't regret it like I did, see your doctor.

Comment from: acemsd, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

Over two years I was suffering increasing tiredness, aching muscles and joints. I tried to keep active but each day's work or exercise session ended with me collapsing on the sofa with exhaustion. My husband said that I loved the sofa more than him! Sometimes I cried with frustration: this was not me. I wasn't lazy or depressed really. It felt like I was wearing long gloves of pain from hands to elbows and a heavy hoodie was weighing me down. I blamed the arthritis which was just starting to affect my hands. The symptoms were so vague that doctors I saw didn't pick up on them until I joked to my general physician's practice nurse that I'd slowed down so much that I was being lapped by people on Zimmer frames. She suggested we add vitamin D to my regular blood test, result was, none detectable. After just 3 weeks on high strength vitamin D I felt 10 years younger. I felt better before my summer holidays than I usually feel afterwards! I still have arthritis and still catch colds, get tired at work, etc. But I now have the energy and optimism to deal with things. It might not be the answer for everyone but I'm amazed that something so simple can make such a difference.

Comment from: Christine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I've had horrible joint pain since my teen years but within the past five years it has gotten extremely bad. It got so bad I couldn't sleep and now my muscles are affected. I have horrible aching everywhere, they are painful to touch and sometimes spasm so hard that they lock. Sometimes I have tingles, shooting nerve pain or the body part goes numb. I've had 5 MRIs, 2 EMGs, x-rays and tons of blood work. Diagnosed with very high systemic inflammation, systemic arthralgia and a severe vitamin D deficiency but otherwise healthy as a horse. I walk 1 hour outside at noon daily, eat fish and raw vegetables and take 5000 IUs daily but I'm barely in the normal range. Frustrating!

Comment from: red, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

My symptoms associated with a diagnosis of vitamin D deficiency were primarily joint and bone pain, since late teens.

Comment from: Porter8682, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I have had nerve symptoms for 2 and a half years. I have chronic pain all over the body and have lost feeling in my left leg below the knee. I feel like I have fire running down my bones and then I get pins and needles that make me feel like I want to take my skin off and scratch underneath. I also get widespread muscle spasms, sometimes they can be so severe they can dislocate my fingers and thumbs and sometimes my knee. I have lost mobility and now walk with two walking sticks. My neurologist sent me for an MRI scan on my brain as I get debilitating migraines and was found to have numerous lesions on the brain. I was tested for multiple sclerosis which came back negative. My memory and speech have also been affected. I was tested for vitamin D deficiency as part of a routine test and was found to have an almost nonexistent level. I was put on 10,000 daily for a month and then dropped down to 10,000 once a week. I haven't seen any improvement in my condition however and am deteriorating fairly fast.

Comment from: D-Ficient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I had been experiencing lethargy, then came hip and knee pain, I wanted to just sleep and I found I couldn't concentrate and was feeling a little foggy. After numerous blood tests, all of which came back in normal range, severe deficiency of vitamin D was the culprit. I take 10,000 per day and use a liquid form as I do vitamins. The vitamins are absorbed faster into the bloodstream as it bypasses the gut for absorption. I've just begun the vitamin D regimen and am hoping I see results in about 4 months. I had no idea how critical this vitamin is to our bodies.

Comment from: anu, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 14

I was having back pain for months together. X-ray and USG scan could not reveal much. Later on through blood test it was noticed that vitamin D was only 10.

Comment from: Jonathon, Male (Patient) Published: July 08

I am affected by weather changes. Sudden highs/sudden lows would leave me feeling like I went through a meat grinder. I have whole body ache, extreme fatigue and brain fog. Often I am very sleepy, sometimes I am mentally/emotionally fine, other times I feel depressed, as if there is pressure on brain. Headaches are always part of the weakness. I am 65 and in excellent health. I am health conscious, a strict vegetarian, no alcohol, no drugs; good wholesome outlook on life. I meditate. This condition has been getting worse over the years. I am outside a lot, but must not be absorbing vitamin D from the Sun. The doctor has put me on 50,000 IU of vitamin D twice a week for next 8 weeks. I googled vitamin D deficiency to get better understanding of the problem.

Comment from: Tim C, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 17

I had been hospitalized 1 year ago with pancreatitis and since found out I had a large gallstone. I have been off work the last 3 months thinking I was experiencing gallstone/pancreatic attacks again but blood tests carried out within the last 6 months are making me think again. It was found after a battery of blood tests that I had high cholesterol for which I am now taking statins, and also high blood pressure for which I am taking blood pressure tablets. However after getting my vitamin D results I was shocked; it barely registered and in UK measurements it was 2.1 mmol/l. My sodium and potassium levels were also high. I have been in almost constant pain for the last 4 months with no end in sight. I cannot sleep well at night and am up at least 3 times to pass urine. All in all I pass clear urine about 14 or 15 times a day. I get breathless after only slight activity and my mood is always quite low and I have nil libido. My concentration is poor as well and I wake up with aches and pains in my muscles and joints. I have to get a gallbladder operation in the future but feel there is more going on here than meets the eye. I have to see an endocrinologist in a week's time and hope they have clearer answers for me. I have to bring a urine sample. Other scans done about 3 months ago showed cysts on my liver and kidneys and nodules on my adrenal glands. I really hope I am not palmed off. I do take vitamin D supplements which help only marginally, I really want to understand why I am so vitamin D deficient and if it has anything to do with my current malaise.

Comment from: BDatz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I had severe hip and upper leg pain. My vitamin D level was 8.

Comment from: KP, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I have been dealing with bad fatigue for a while now and feel like it has gradually been getting worse. Some days I can sleep 9 plus hours and still wake up feeling tired all day. Up to this point I feel all my symptoms have very closely matched those of iron-deficiency anemia (fatigue, headaches, muscle aches, weakness, trouble concentrating, easily cold, etc.) and though they said my iron was slightly low I was not anemic. My vitamin D levels were also very low (8) so here we are for now trying the vitamin D supplements to see if they help.

Comment from: the perfect storm, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

My vitamin D was critically low at 4. My symptoms are fatigue, depression, and severe stomach pains, among other things. I was prescribed 50,000 IU a week, and started today. Hopefully something works soon, tired of feeling this way.

Comment from: Sunshinegurl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I felt depressed (typically suffer from seasonal affective disorder (SAD), but moved back to Florida and the weather was not that bad). I couldn't concentrate, felt foggy, couldn't remember words to express myself eloquently, and gained 20 plus lb. The scale wouldn't budge after diet and exercise. I did CBC, CMP, lipids, TSH, T4, B12, folate, vitamin D and Hemoglobin A1c. The only thing that came back abnormal was HDL 42 and vitamin D 27. I'd started self-treating with about 5000 IU daily a few weeks prior to testing.

Comment from: nancynurse, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I had recent thyroidectomy (nontoxic goiter) and then gallbladder removal. My muscle pain was widespread, had no energy, fatigue and was depressed. I asked for some bloodwork and discovered subclinical deficiency of vitamin D. Norms are 30 to 1000, I had a mere 8. I was given 50,000 units for 13 weeks, followed by 2000 units per day after that. I started treatment today; I wonder how long it may take to get to more normal levels.

Comment from: Melissa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I have had wide spread pain and blurred vision for months now, I just couldn't understand, I couldn't even lift my 6 moth old grandson. I was afraid to tell anyone how much I hurt for fear they would think I was exaggerating. My blood work came back today and my vitamin D number was 6! I am glad to have an answer but I am sad to hear it will take months to recover. I guess I should consider myself fortunate.

Comment from: Sandycat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I had severe bronchitis 3 times in 4 months. I had a vitamin D test and was at level 2. I had 50,000 per week for 3 months, now take 4,000 daily. I didn't realize that other symptoms also stopped, hair is not falling out, teeth no longer ache, joints not aching, not foggy and not falling asleep all the time, plus fingernails are long and strong, didn't realize all this until the vitamin D fixed the problems! Yeah!

Comment from: Deprived of sunshine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I have been working in an office environment, where for the past nine years I have virtually not seen any daylight or sunshine. Our offices are located in what was once a warehouse, although most managers sit in offices which are located on the front of the building and so they have windows. I had my fist bone scan done 10 years ago, and was told that I had no issues whatsoever. My bone density was great, five year later I had another bone scan and was told my bone density was okay but I had to start a Vitamin D intake of a daily 20000 IU of vitamin D from foodborne sources and not a citric base. This past month I had a follow up bone scan and was informed that I had significant loss of bone mass, since my last scan. In the meantime I have done some research on my own and have learned that working without a window in a dark office, lit by only artificial lighting was devastating for my health. I have noticed that I feel as if I live in a fog and I am always tired although I go to bed early. I have sleep problems, I have ache in areas of my body I have never felt before, I am irritable, nervous and have recently suffered from such severe anxiety attacks that I was rushed to the emergency room, fearing that I was experiencing a heart attack. I am interested in hearing what my next step should be. My doctor has not suggested any treatment other than to step up vitamin D intake with vitamin K and supplement with fish oil. I wonder if my job which is keeping me locked up in the dark, eight and more hours every day, without a ray of sunshine, or knowledge of the weather condition outside, possibly could be the root cause of my bone loss, my migraine headaches, loss of 44 lb. of weight over the last six months, pain that causes me to feel weak, and depressed and panic attacks and possibly the reason for my feeling so horrible.

Comment from: Chesapeake lady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have chronic problems with vitamin D deficiency. Symptoms include fogginess, fatigue all day long in spite of the amount of sleep I get, difficulty concentrating, and memory problems. I get so tired that the thought of walking even a short distance is overwhelming. I have to go back to the doctor periodically to get a prescription for the 50000 IU vitamin D that helps resolve the problem. In addition, I need to take OTC vitamin D every single day without fail.

Comment from: Frani-d, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

In 2008, I had a 'mystery illness.' I would double over with abdominal pain, had suffered peripheral neuropathy, and would get a pain that originated in the center of my spine and wrap around my entire mid-section. At times I would have extreme pain in my upper right abdomen. I went to the clinic, had every test, x-ray and scan imaginable, and although I had some tests that were slightly abnormal, nothing indicated a source of the problem. I returned to see a peripheral neurologist who looked at a darkening of tissue with some fine black dots who said, 'I suppose we ought to send you to dermatology to have that place on your face checked out.' It turned out to be melanoma in situ. I received a call from the dermatologist and was told to go immediately to have it removed. I did, and the abdominal symptoms stopped immediately upon removal of the melanoma. Prior to having the melanoma removed I went to see a naturopath who tested among other things, my Vitamin D level. It was 10. I then started reading many articles about how melanoma, and many other cancers, may actually be vitamin D deficiency diseases.

Comment from: Greyhound, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

My symptoms of vitamin D deficiency were tiredness, depression, and gastrointestinal distress. My thyroid was good and the test for coeliac came back clean. The doctor even tested my gall bladder (50% ejection) before deciding to test my vitamin D levels; very low vitamin D. I went on OTC vitamin D – 40 -50000 IU per week. Now I"m down to about 10000 IU per week. I increase the levels when I feel down or my stomach acts up.

Comment from: snowwhyte, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had muscle and joint pain, numbness and burning in my limbs. I felt tired all the time and gained weight. I had migraines and restless legs. The doctor diagnosed me with a mild vitamin D deficiency. I"d been spending a lot of time in the sun so she didn"t know what caused it. I was told to take 1000 IU a day but after reading online this seemed low so I am taking 50000 a week. I was willing to try anything to help the pain. Four months on it is a bit better but still have numbness and random burning sensations.

Comment from: dog tired, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I had whole body pain! I didn"t even have a trace amount of vitamin D when my tests came back from the lab. I"ve been foggy headed for so long I can"t remember, and thought there may be a problem with my neck. I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome due to the pain and numbness in my fingers, hands and arms. Standing made my feet feel like someone had a nail gun on them, and the pain in my calves was crippling to the point it took me an age to go up the stairs, on all fours. Pain in my hips meant I had to stop the car after driving for 20 minutes. It woke me in the night, and I can"t even carry the kettle without using my other arm for support underneath. I wake every night with arms so numb that I can"t even move them to bring them back to life. I get pain in literally every inch of my body. I had my hair cut short because I lost so much of it. No pain killers have any effect and I"ve been told I probably won"t notice any improvement for 3 months or so. I have started high dose supplement and am determined for a holiday in the sun. I can"t afford it, but desperate to get better now I finally know what"s wrong.

Comment from: Cpope, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

Low vitamin D caused extreme foggy feeling. A feeling of not being real, slurred speech and unresponsiveness to questions, much like a seizure. The doctor put me on 50000 IU twice a week. I'm feeling somewhat better but I was also diagnosed with Epstein Barr syndrome.

Comment from: hopeful, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I was diagnosed with very low vitamin D count of 8. I was foggy headed and had poor concentration, was fatigued after rising, had low energy level, and weight gain and fluctuation. My doctor put me on the standard 50,000 D2 once a week. After reading and researching, I added over the counter D3 of an additional 4,000-5,000 once a day. My last test taken one year later showed I was at 45 (midrange). Now I will reduce my daily to 2,000 iu and see if I maintain. My energy level has returned as is my ability to focus and maintain my concentration. I still wrestle with fatigue and weight.

Comment from: gmashirley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I was recently told I was Vitamin D deficient. I was given a prescription of 50,000 unit capsules to take once a week. I have been very fatigued, my muscles ache all day. It is difficult to concentrate, and I feel anxious. Thank goodness I know have a reason for all this physical drama including hair loss. It's my first week so we will see how things progress.

Comment from: Christine11, 45-54 (Patient) Published: November 14

I'm taking 20 000 units of vitamin D once a week as prescribed. Symptoms were lack of energy and my hip, fingers and knees ache. I seem to have swelling in my hands and feet but I'm hoping that will decrease with time. But I always seem tired and slightly depressed. Hopefully I should feel better within 2 to 3 months.

Comment from: Peeps925, Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I broke my humerus bone in a horse riding accident, but though it was a bad break, two opinions had ruled out surgery. I have broken a wrist in the past that healed in the normal time, and had 3 foot surgeries with bone work which also healed promptly, but at 18 weeks, my arm still felt unhinged, and it was determined that it had stopped healing and I needed surgery. In recovery, my surgeon expressed great concern over my 'soft bones'. I just learned that my vitamin D is 44, apparently within the low normal range, so I am hoping that supplements and maybe a little more sun exposure will do the job. I am in my 60s, eat well, am very active, exercise and am the proper weight and in excellent health. I hope it is a condition that can be normalized rapidly.

Comment from: tree_topper, Male (Patient) Published: November 17

Low vitamin D, which was 12 caused a grand mal seizure that ended up being life threatening. Now I am on anti-seizure medicine for the rest of my life.

Comment from: BRIJ SISODIA, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

With vitamin D deficiency, I had contraction in my hand after hand practice or sexual intercourse, and I have pain in my left hand palm whole time and pain in my lips and I have lost my hair too. I am not able walk a kilo meter, it was very painful.

Comment from: nd my healthback BGK, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had a lot of tiredness and severe pain (knee and lower back). I was not able to sit for long, and not able to walk. Then my health got worse. I had severe body pain. A to Z had many medical checkups. For almost 5years, I did not get proper diagnosis. Finally, I came to know the reason was vitamin D deficiency (only6.25). I took vitamin D chewing tablets, 60000 IU for 3 months. I am 35% better. Now am taking calcium, 1000 IU. Now, I am better, but still suffering with pain! It seems it will take some more days to get rid of this!

Comment from: RAMichgirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I am experiencing severe calf cramping, fogginess and constant fatigue. I live in the North and never get in the sun, it's too cold and not a lot of sun. I called my doctor about Vitamin D deficiency but she won't be in for several days so I"m in a waiting mode.

Comment from: Bmr, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

My symptoms are similar to Nightravyn. I have suffered from extreme hair loss for a couple of years. My scalp is red and inflamed, and I have body aches, weight gain, and foggy memory. I have always had an abundance of hair, but I estimate I have lost more than half. Thyroid issues, hormone levels, lupus, and celiac disease have been ruled out. My vitamin D level is 20, and my doctor has prescribed 10,000 IU per day until further notice. I hope this helps. I would love to hear an update from Nightravyn.

Comment from: Sky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have arthritis type pain and stiffness in hips and lower back due to vitamin D deficiency.

Comment from: me, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

The symptoms of my vitamin D deficiency were broken nails and the nails changing from smooth to being lined.

Comment from: Dpl, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

Because of Vitamin D deficiency, daily afternoon I have muscle aches.

Comment from: anngeo, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 14

My symptom for vitamin D deficiency was peripheral neuropathy.

Comment from: Sushila, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I suffered from pain in calf muscles. This condition was corrected by taking vitamin D supplements.

Comment from: Mzmaxi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I would fall asleep anywhere, yawning a million times away no matter how much sleep I got still tired. Started me with 50,000 ui of vitamin D a week now doubled that. I think it's working but scared of other things happening from to much vitamin D.

Comment from: Sonny Girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I did not have any symptoms at the time of my diagnosis. Previously I had been diagnosed with schizophrenia paranoia and depression. I had symptoms of fatigue and insomnia. I tried inpatient mental health programs that kept me balanced and on track. I also tried changing my diet and exercise. It allowed me to focus on the importance of nutrition and healthy eating habits. After my diagnosis,I take a daily vitamin plus a vitamin d supplement.

Comment from: Jubi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I was feeling very tired most of the time my bones in my fingers, toes hurt and had trouble with balance.

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I have been so tired all of the time.

Comment from: nightravyn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I have Crohn's disease and have incredible hair loss all over, but not in clumps. My thyroid seems to be OK, but I also have aches, weakness, weight gain, and seem a little foggy in the memory department. But the hair loss was scaring me to death. My vitamin D level was just over 18, so my doctor put me on 50,000 IU per week. I wonder how fast this will help slow down my hair loss. It's a good thing I started out with lots of hair. I hope it helps the other symptoms too – I have been looking for the culprit for a long time.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter