Vitamin D deficiency has been linked with rickets, cancer, cardiovascular disease, severe asthma in children and cognitive impairment in older adults. Causes include not ingesting enough of the vitamin over time, having limited exposure to sunlight, having dark skin, and obesity. Symptoms include bone pain and muscle weakness. Treatment for vitamin D deficiency involves obtaining more vitamin D through supplements, diet, or exposure to sunlight. Read more: Vitamin D Deficiency Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Vitamins and Supplements: Test Your Medical IQ
Take the Vitamins & Supplements Quiz to learn just how many essential vitamins your body needs to function!...
Superfoods Quiz: List of Top Superfoods
Take our Superfoods Quiz! Get to know how unprocessed, raw, organic foods and healthy drinks are rich in nutrients and dietary...
Diet and Nutrition Quiz: Plans & Facts
Even if you think you're getting enough fruits and vegetables per day, how can you be sure? Take the Diet & Nutrition Quiz to...
Vitamin D Quiz: Test Your IQ of Dietary Supplements
What happens to the body when there is a vitamin D deficiency? Take the Vitamin D Quiz to find out what you may be missing....
Vitamin D Deficiency: How Much Vitamin D Is Enough?
What does vitamin D do? Learn about vitamin D benefits and discover foods that are high in vitamin D. Explore vitamin D...
What Does It Mean When Your Whole Body Aches?
Body aches and pains can be disruptive and frustrating. Learn many chronic pain causes, including lupus, arthritis, fibromyalgia,...
9 Signs of Perimenopause
Perimenopause occurs before menopause as estrogen levels begin to change. This can cause menopause like symptoms such as hot...
Related Disease Conditions
Multiple Sclerosis Early Symptoms and Signs (Early, Body Areas Affected)
Multiple sclerosis (MS) symptoms vary from person to person, and can last for days to months without periods of remission....
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Osteopenia is a bone condition characterized by bone loss that is not as severe as in osteoporosis. Bone fracture is the typical...
Constipation (Relief, Home Remedies, Treatment Medications)
Constipation is defined medically as fewer than three stools per week and severe constipation as less than one stool per week....
Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Life Expectancy
Multiple sclerosis or MS is an autoimmune disorder in which brain and spinal cord nerve cells become demyelinated. This damage...
Learn about osteoporosis, a condition characterized by the loss of bone density, which leads to an increased risk of bone...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Signs, Causes, Diet, and Treatment
High blood pressure (hypertension) is a disease in which pressure within the arteries of the body is elevated. About 75 million...
Crohn's Disease (Symptoms, Causes, Diet, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Crohn's disease is a chronic inflammatory disease, primarily involving the small and large intestine, but which can affect...
Cystic fibrosis is a disease of the mucus and sweat glands. Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disease. The outcome of the disease...
Osteoarthritis is a type of arthritis caused by inflammation, breakdown, and eventual loss of cartilage in the joints. Also...
Fatty Liver (NASH)
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease or NASH occurs due to the accumulation of abnormal amounts of fat within the liver. Fatty liver...
Skin cancers occur when skin cells undergo malignant transformations and grow into tumors. The most common types of skin cancer,...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Vitamin D Deficiency
An allergy refers to a misguided reaction by our immune system in response to bodily contact with certain foreign substances. ...
Erectile Dysfunction (ED, Impotence)
Erectile dysfunction (ED, impotence) is the failure to achieve or maintain an erection. There are many potential underlying...
Cancer Risk Factors
Though it's difficult to say why some people develop cancer while others don't, research shows that certain risk factors increase...
Rickets is caused by a deficiency of vitamin D, calcium, or phosphate. Infants and children who are exclusively breastfed, have...
Celiac disease is a condition in which a person has inflammation of the small intestinal mucosa when exposed to gluten in the...
Asthma is a condition in which hyperreactive airways constrict and result in symptoms like wheezing, coughing, and shortness of...
Vitamins and Calcium Supplements
Vitamins are organic substances that are essential for the proper growth and functioning of the body. Calcium is a mineral...
Sunscreens are crucial for sun protection. Sun damage to the skin from exposure to ultraviolet rays is a risk factor for skin...
Learn more about cavities including symptoms, treatment, and prevention. See how tooth decay, plaque, and bacteria contribute to...
Asthma in Children
Asthma in children manifests with symptoms such as coughing and wheezing. Rates of asthma in children are increasing. Asthma in...
Primary Biliary Cirrhosis Treatment (PBC)
Primary biliary sclerosis (PBC) is thought to be an autoimmune disorder that involves the deterioration of the liver's small bile...
Vitamins & Exercise: Heart Attack Prevention Series
Vitamins and exercise can lower your risk for heart attack and heart disease. Folic acid, vitamins, and homocysteine levels are...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Hip Pain
- Erectile Dysfunction (Impotence)
- Knee Pain
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Sleep Apnea
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Thyroid Q & A
- Fibromyalgia: Dreaming of a Pain-Free Christmas
- Diet & Nutrition FAQs
- Superfoods FAQs
- Vitamin D FAQs
- Vitamins and Supplements FAQs
- Osteoporosis Prevention & Treatment
- Osteoporosis - 2001 National Meeting Reports
- Truths, Lies, and Sunscreens
- Celiac Disease Symptoms
- Who should get a bone density test?
- Does Vitamin D Deficiency Cause Symptoms?
- Diet and Depression: How Food Can Help with Depression Symptoms
- Vitamin D: Winterize Your Diet
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Health Tip: Build Stronger Bones
- Daily Vitamin D Could Be a Lifesaver for Some COPD Patients
- Could You Be Short on Vitamin D?
- Healthful Diet & Healthy Bones
- Health Tip: Get More Vitamin D
- Vitamin D Supplements Won't Build Bone Health in Older Adults: Study
- Vitamin D No Panacea for Brain Diseases
- No Proof Vitamin D Lowers Blood Pressure in Pregnancy: Study
- Could More Vitamin D Help Prevent Breast Cancer?
- Vitamin D Deficiency Could Be Lung Disease Risk
- Vitamin D May Guard Against Colon Cancer
- Vitamin D May Lower Miscarriage Risk
- Lower Vitamin D Levels Linked to More Belly Fat
- First Drug for Rare Form of Rickets Approved by FDA
- The Dynamic Duo: Calcium and Vitamin D
- Vitamin D3 May Benefit Heart Surgery Patients
- Lack of Vitamin D Can Sideline College Football Players
- Vitamin D Supplements May Make Arteries Healthier
- Seniors Don't Need Calcium, Vitamin D Supplements: Review
- When Treating Infertility, Vitamin D Levels May Be Key
- Could Fish Oil, Vitamin D Help Ease Lupus?
- Higher Doses of Vitamin D May Boost Preemies' Bone Health
- Exercise, Not Vitamin D, Recommended to Prevent Falls
- High-Dose Vitamin D May Not Curb Kids' Colds
- Could Your Office Job Rob You of Vitamin D?
- Many Americans May Be Taking Too Much Vitamin D
- Vitamin D Fails the Asthma Test
- Exercise and Vitamin D: A Heart-Healthy Combo
- Health Tip: How to Get Enough Vitamin D
- High-Dose Vitamin D Failed to Curb Heart Disease in Study
- High Doses of Vitamin D Fail to Cut Cancer Risk, Study Finds
- Many College Football Players Lack Vitamin D: Study
- Older Bones Benefit From Dairy Plus Vitamin D
- Don't Skip Veggies in Winter
- Vitamin D Pumps Up Muscles
- Vitamin D Linked to Lower Risk of Respiratory Infections
- Could Low Vitamin D Levels at Birth Mean Higher MS Risk?
- Vitamin D May Affect Breast Cancer Survival
- Low Vitamin D Levels May Raise Bladder Cancer Risk: Study
- Vitamin D Levels May Fall When Women Stop Taking Birth Control
- Vitamin Deficiencies Common in Young Migraine Sufferers
- Men Miss Out on Bone Loss Screening
- Tanning May Limit Skin's Ability to Produce Vitamin D: Study
- Vitamin D Boosts Heart Function in Study
- Vitamin D a No Go for Arthritic Knees, Study Finds
- Low Prenatal Vitamin D Linked to Later MS in Offspring
- Low Vitamin D Levels May Signal More Aggressive Prostate Cancer
- Vitamin D While Pregnant Won't Boost Most Infants' Bone Health, Study Says
- Prenatal Diet Rich in Vitamin D May Cut Allergy Risk in Kids: Study
- Prenatal Vitamin D Supplements May Not Lower Baby's Asthma Risk: Study
- Could Higher Vitamin D Doses Harm Seniors Prone to Falls?
- Could High-Dose Vitamin D Help Fight Multiple Sclerosis?
- When and Where of Weight-Loss Surgery May Affect Vitamin D Levels
- IBS Linked to Low Vitamin D
- Vitamin D Won't Guard Against Colds in People With Asthma
- Vitamin D Deficiency Might Be Tied to Erectile Dysfunction
- Scientists Pinpoint What Level of Vitamin D Promotes Heart Health
- Vitamin D, Calcium May Not Prevent Colon Cancer After All
- Too Little Vitamin D May Hasten Mental Decline
- Fewer Seniors Fall While Taking Vitamin D: Study
- Vitamin D Supplements Little Help for Obese Teens, Study Finds
- Vitamin D Supplements Won't Strengthen Older Women's Bones: Study
- Health Tip: Get Enough Vitamin D
- Vitamin D, Calcium Don't Reduce Menopause Symptoms
- Vitamin D Levels Tied to Survival in Seriously Ill Cats
- Vitamin D Supplements Might Help Some Lose Weight
- Little Risk of Vitamin D Toxicity, Study Says
- Exercise, But Not Vitamin D, Cuts Injuries From Falls in Older Women: Study
- Vitamin D Supplements Might Slow Prostate Cancer, Study Suggests
- Vitamin D Won't Help Fight High Blood Pressure, Researchers Say
- Low Levels of Vitamin D Linked to Type 2 Diabetes Risk
- Low Vitamin D Levels in Stroke Survivors a Bad Sign, Study Finds
- Low Vitamin D Levels in Childhood May Raise Heart Risks: Study
- Vitamin D May Boost Colon Cancer Survival, Study Finds
- Low Vitamin D Levels Linked to Risk of Preterm Birth in Study
- Low Levels of Vitamin D May Raise Early Death Risk: Study
- Health Tip: Think You're Getting Enough Calcium?
- Vitamin D May Not Prevent Return of Women's Infection After All
- Vitamin D Might Help Kids With Eczema
- Could Vitamin D Make Childbirth Less Painful?
- Gene Study Finds No Proof Vitamin D Guards Against Type 2 Diabetes
- Women's Vitamin D Levels May Play Role in IVF Success
- Low Vitamin D Levels May Boost Alzheimer's Risk, Study Finds
- Low Vitamin D Levels Linked to High Blood Pressure
- Vitamin D: A Key to a Longer Life?
- Prom Isn't a Good Reason to Hit the Tanning Salon
- Vitamin D Supplements May Not Help Ease Asthma
- Vitamin D May Not Lower Seniors' Fall Risk
- Too Little Vitamin D May Add to Obesity's Burden
- Jury Still Out on Benefits of Vitamin D
- Vitamin D Deficiency May Be Linked to Heart Disease
- Low Vitamin D Could Up Risk for Birth Complication: Study
- Vitamin D Supplements: FAQ
- Vitamin D Supplements Don't Help Your Health: Review
- Vitamin D Levels Linked to Parkinson's Symptoms
- Vitamin D May Slow Multiple Sclerosis, Study Suggests
- Vitamin D Supplements May Help Ease Fibromyalgia Pain: Study
- Vitamin D Supplements Won't Help Prevent Disease: Review
- Vitamin D Deficiency Might Be Overdiagnosed in Blacks, Study Suggests
- Low Vitamin D Tied to Anemia Risk in Kids
- Study: Vitamin D Supplements May Not Raise Risk for Kidney Stones
- No Sign That Vitamin D Supplements Help Aging Bones: Study
- Vitamin D Alone Doesn't Boost Bone Health, Study Says
- Vitamin D Deficiency Often Seen in Traumatic Bone Breaks
- Calcium Plus Vitamin D Won't Cure Joint Pain, Study Finds
- Vitamin D Supplements Don't Lower Blood Pressure: Study
- Too Little Vitamin D May Hasten Disability as You Age
- Heart Dangers of Low Vitamin D Levels May Vary
- Women on Hormone Therapy May Benefit From Extra Calcium, Vitamin D
- Vitamin D Levels Vary by Season
- Extra Vitamin D May Ease Crohn's Symptoms, Study Finds
- Study Looks at Vitamin D Needs in Breast-Fed Babies
- Vitamin D May Help Prevent Uterine Fibroids
- Vitamin D Important During Pregnancy, Study Suggests
- Vitamin D Levels in Pregnancy May Not Affect Kids' Future Bone Health
- Healthy Older Women Advised Against Taking Calcium
- Women's Vitamin D Needs Don't Vary By Race, Study Finds
- Vitamin D Supplements: Is What You See What You Get?
- Vitamin D Loss Attributed to Obesity
- Vitamin D Doesn't Improve Knee Arthritis, Study Finds
- Low Vitamin D in Early Pregnancy Tied to Lower Birth Weight
- Low Vitamin D More Common in Overweight Kids
- Vitamin D Levels Linked to Daytime Sleepiness
- Vitamin D in Pregnancy May Be Key to Women's Risk for MS, Study Says
- Obese Children Struggle With Joint Pain: Study
- Health Issues Add to Risk of Vitamin D Deficiency, Study Says
- Millions May Be Taking Vitamin D Unnecessarily, Analysis Suggests
- Strike Vitamin D Off the List for Cold Prevention?
- Vitamin D in Pregnancy May Be Key for Baby's Brain
- Vitamin D in Pregnancy Critical for Brain Development, Study Says
- Vitamin D Supplements Won't Help Cholesterol Levels: Study
- Vitamin D May Thwart Kids' Winter Colds
- Calcium, Vitamin D Supplements May Pose Risks for Men With Prostate Cancer
- Vitamin D Deficiency Common in Sick Kids
- Low Vitamin D Levels May Raise Death Risk in Older Adults: Study
- Vitamin D May Delay Deterioration of Smokers' Lungs: Study
- Higher Doses of Vitamin D Prevent Fractures in Older Women
- Vitamin D Deficiency Linked to Depression
- Low Vitamin D Linked to Weight Gain in Older Women
- Could Sunlight Lower Your Odds for Pancreatic Cancer?
- Vitamin D With Calcium May Boost Survival
- Vitamin D and Calcium Pills: Task Force Report
- More Vitamin D Might Help Older People Stay Active
- Exercise, Vitamin D Can Lower Fall Risk in Elderly
- Japanese-American Men With Low Vitamin-D Diet Face Higher Stroke Risk
- Vitamin D May Affect Lung Transplant Success
- Vitamin D Doesn't Help Kids Do Better in School, Study Finds
- More Insight on Possible Role of Vitamin D Against Alzheimer's
- Vitamin D May Cut Stress Fracture Risk in Girls
- Lack of Vitamin D May Harm Older Women's Health
- Vitamin D May Ease Painful Periods
- Vitamin D May Not Boost Heart Health in Kidney Patients
- Low Vitamin D in Pregnancy Linked to Language Problems in Children
- Sunny Skies Linked to Lower Stroke Risk
- Study: Vitamin D Has No Clear Benefit for COPD Patients
- Too Much Vitamin D Could Be Harmful to Heart
- Low Levels of Vitamin D May Be Linked to Depression
- Are the Benefits of Vitamin D Overhyped?
- Tanning Booths Increase Risk of Most Common Skin Cancer
- Low Vitamin D May Raise Diabetes Risk in Kids
- Southerners May Be Less Likely to Have Crohn's
- Research Sheds Light on Vitamin D's Role in Immunity
- Pale People at Risk for Vitamin D Deficiency
- Low Vitamin D Levels Linked to Advanced Cancers
- Pregnant Women Don't Need Vitamin D Screening
- New Guidelines Suggest Higher Doses of Vitamin D
- Low Vitamin D Levels May Be Linked to MS
- Low Vitamin D at Birth Linked to Lung Infections
- Use of Dietary Supplements on the Rise
- Low Vitamin D Linked to Allergy Risk in Kids
- Women With MS More Likely to Have Gene Mutation
- Vitamin D May Improve Asthma Control
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter