Hepatitis is most often viral, due to infection with one of the hepatitis viruses (A, B, C, D, E, F (not confirmed), and G) or another virus (such as those that cause infectious mononucleosis, cytomegalovirus disease). The main nonviral causes of hepatitis are alcohol and drugs. Many patients infected with hepatitis A, B, and C have few or no symptoms of illness. For those who do develop symptoms of viral hepatitis, the most common are flu- like symptoms including: loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, fever, weakness, tiredness, and aching in the abdomen. Treatment of viral hepatitis is dependant on the type of hepatitis. Read more: Hepatitis (Viral Hepatitis, A, B, C, D, E, G) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Hepatitis C, Hep B, Hep A: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment
What is hepatitis? Hepatitis A, B, and C spread in different ways, causing mild to serious effects on the liver. Learn about...
Hepatitis C (Hep C) Symptoms and Treatment
What is Hepatitis C (Hep C, HVC)? Learn about hepatitis c symptoms, how you get hepatitis c, contagiousness, and hepatitis C...
Symptoms of Mono: Infectious Mononucleosis Treatment
What is mononucleosis (mono)? Learn about mononucleosis (mono) symptoms, treatment, and diagnosis. Discover how mononucleosis...
Viral Infection Types, Treatment, and Prevention
Watch this slideshow on Viral Infections and learn about types, treatment, and prevention of illnesses caused by viruses....
Hepatitis C Quiz: What is Hepatitis C?
How many Americans have hepatitis C? Take this quiz to learn the facts about this chronic disease....
Liver Disease Quiz: Fatty Liver Disease, Cirrhosis & Symptoms
What is liver disease? Take the Liver Disease Quiz and test your knowledge about this organ and its function....
Picture of Hepatitis B
Inflammation of the liver due to the hepatitis B virus (HBV), once thought to be passed only through blood products. See a...
Picture of Liver
Front View of the Liver. The liver is a large, meaty organ that sits on the right side of the belly. See a picture of the Liver...
Hepatitis in Pictures: What Puts You at Risk?
See how Hepatitis types A, B and C are trasmitted through issues such as poor hygiene, contamination, sexual contact and more....
Related Disease Conditions
Cirrhosis of the liver refers to a disease in which normal liver cells are replaced by scar tissue caused by alcohol and viral...
Liver disease can be cause by a variety of things including infection (hepatitis), diseases such as: gallstones, high...
Bilirubin (Bilirubin Test)
Bilirubin is a waste product of the normal breakdown of red blood cells in the liver. Normal bilirubin levels vary from lab to...
Ascites, the accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity is most commonly caused by cirrhosis of the liver. Some of the other...
Liver cancer is cancer of the liver cells (hepatocellular carcinoma) or of the ducts in the liver (cholangiocarcinoma). Liver...
STDs in Men
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections transmitted during sexual contact. They may be caused by viruses, bacteria,...
Infectious mononucleosis is a virus infection in which there is an increase of white blood cells that are mononuclear (with a...
Hepatitis C (HCV, Hep C)
Hepatitis C is an inflammation of the liver due to the hepatitis C virus (HCV), which is usually spread by blood transfusion,...
Liver (Anatomy and Function)
The liver is the largest gland and organ in the body. There are a variety of liver diseases caused by liver inflammation,...
Enlarged Spleen (Splenomegaly)
An enlarged spleen or splenomegaly is generally caused by other diseases or conditions such as infections, cancers, blood...
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Hepatitis B (HBV, Hep B)
The hepatitis B virus (HBV, hep B) is a unique, coated DNA virus belonging to the Hepadnaviridae family of viruses. The course of...
Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Women (STD)
Sexually transmitted diseases, or STDs, are infections that are transmitted during any type of sexual exposure, including...
Jaundice (Hyperbilirubinemia in Adults)
Jaundice (hyperbilirubinemia) in adults may be caused by a variety of medical diseases or conditions. Some cases of jaundice can...
Hepatitis A (HAV, Hep A)
Hepatitis means inflammation of the liver. Hepatitis A (HAV, Hep A) is one type of liver disease caused by a virus. Since...
Encephalopathy means brain disease, damage, or malfunction. Causes of encephalopathy are varied and numerous. The main symptom of...
Bile Duct Cancer (Cholangiocarcinoma)
Bile duct cancer (cholangiocarcinoma) is a rare type of cancer that arises from cells that line the drainage system from the...
Scarlet Fever (Scarlatina)
Scarlet fever, a bacterial infection caused by group A Streptococcus bacteria, causes symptoms and signs such as fever, rash with...
Newborn Jaundice (Neonatal Jaundice)
Newborn jaundice or neonatal jaundice is a yellowish discoloration of the mucous membranes, whites of the eyes, and skin of a...
Portal hypertension is most commonly caused by cirrhosis, a disease in which results from scarring of a liver injury. Other...
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes:...
Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency (Symptoms, Treatment, Life Expectancy)
Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency (AATD) is an inherited disorder caused by mutations in the SERPINA1 gene. People with the...
Is Hepatitis B Contagious?
Hepatitis B is a type of liver infection. Hepatitis B is spread through person-to-person contact or through personal items like...
Ebola (Ebola Virus Disease or Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever)
Ebola hemorrhagic fever (HF) is an often-fatal disease that causes fever, headache, vomiting, diarrhea, sore throat, stomach...
Antiphospholipid syndrome (phospholipid antibody syndrome or Hughes syndrome) is an immune system disorder with symptoms that...
Is Hepatitis A Contagious?
Hepatitis means inflammation of the liver. Hepatitis A is one type of hepatitis. Hepatitis is transmitted through person to...
Hepatitis A and B Vaccinations
Hepatitis A and hepatitis B are the two most commnon viruses that infect the liver. Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B can be prevented...
Varices are dilated blood vessels usually in the esophagus or stomach. Symptoms of bleeding varices include vomiting blood, black...
Is Hepatitis C Contagious?
Hepatitis C or hep C causes acute and chronic liver disease. Hep C is a form of liver disease with symptoms like: fatigue,...
Polyarteritis nodosa is a rare autoimmune disease characterized by spontaneous inflammation of the arteries of the body. The most...
Is Hepatitis Contagious?
Hepatitis means "inflammation of the liver," and there are several different types of such as A, B, C, D, and E. Some types of...
Graft Versus Host Disease (GVHD)
Graft versus host disease (GVHD) is a condition that happens when immune cells from transplanted donor tissue attack the...
Hepatitis C Cure (Symptoms, Transmission, Treatments, and Cost)
Hepatitis is inflammation of the liver. There are a variety of toxins, diseases, illicit drugs, medications, bacterial and viral...
Q fever is a highly infectious disease that causes high fever, diarrhea, cough, and sweating. Infected animals may transmit Q...
Lassa fever is a viral hemorrhagic fever that causes flu-like symptoms. Ribavirin is the standard treatment for Lassa fever....
Travelers should prepare for their trip by visiting their physician to get the proper vaccinations and obtain the necessary...
Viral Hepatitis - Treatment
What types of treatment, including medication, have you received for your viral hepatitis?Post View 4 Comments
Viral Hepatitis - Signs and Symptoms
What were your signs and symptoms associated with viral hepatitis?Post View 2 Comments
Viral Hepatitis - How You Got it
If known, how did you contract viral hepatitis? Please share your story.Post View 2 Comments
Viral Hepatitis - Vaccinations
Have you received hepatitis vaccinations? If so, were they effective in preventing hepatitis?Post
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Abdominal Pain
- Stool Color & Texture Changes (Black, Red, Maroon, Green, Yellow, Gray, Tarry, Sticky)
- Dark Urine
- Proteinuria (Protein in the Urine)
- Hepatitis C (HCV)
- Decreased Appetite
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Neonatal Jaundice
- Liver Disease FAQs
- Hepatitis C FAQs
- Abdominal Pain Causes
- Hotel Hygiene: Is Your Hotel Making You Sick?
- Travel: Do You Need Vaccinations Before Traveling Abroad?
- Ask the Experts - Gastroentrology (Digestion)
- Ask the Experts - Gastroenterology (GI Testing)
- Chronic Viral Hepatitis, Alcoholism, Cirrhosis Linked to Liver Cancer
Medications & Supplements
- Biologics (Biologic Drug Class)
- hepatitis A vaccine (Havrix, Vaqta)
- hepatitis b vaccine injection (Engerix-B, Recombivax HB)
- Epclusa (sofosbuvir and velpatasvir)
- licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra, Alcacuz, Sweet Root, Gan Zao, and many others)
- hepatitis A and hepatitis B (recombinant) vaccine (Twinrix)
- ribavirin, Rebetol, Copegus, Ribasphere, RibaPak, Moderiba
- Protease Inhibitors (PI Drug Class)
- sofosbuvir (Sovaldi)
- lamivudine (3tc) (Epivir; Epivir HBV)
- Harvoni (ledipasvir and sofosbuvir)
- simeprevir, Olysio
- daclatasvir (Daklinza)
- Viekira Pak (ombitasvir, paritaprevir, ritonavir, and dasabuvir)
- immune globulin - intramuscular, Baygam, Gamastan, Gammar
- Zepatier (elbasvir and grazoprevir)
- boceprevir (Victrelis)
- telaprevir (Incivek)
- Technivie (ombitasvir, paritaprevir and ritonavir)
Prevention & Wellness
- Lack of Awareness May Spur Spread of Hep C
- Hepatitis C Screening May Boost Opioid Treatment Success
- State of Emergency Declared in California Over Hepatitis A Outbreak
- Hundreds Hospitalized in San Diego as Hepatitis A Outbreak Spreads
- Mexican-Americans at Higher Risk for Liver Cancer
- Hepatitis A Outbreak Declared in Los Angeles County
- Tattoo Today, Regret Tomorrow: Tips to Parents From Pediatricians
- Semen Harbors Wide Range of Viruses
- Vaccine Campaign in Poor Countries to Save 20 Million Lives
- San Diego County Declares Emergency Over Hepatitis A Outbreak
- Harvey's Floodwaters Harbor Many Health Hazards
- Vaccination 101: Make Sure Kids Are Up to Date
- Hep B Vaccine Should Be Given Sooner: Pediatricians Group
- Mavyret Approved for Hepatitis C
- Cancer Deaths Higher in Rural America, CDC Reports
- 3 Simple Steps Might Reduce Opioid OD Deaths
- Surf's Up! How to Plan for a Safe Beach Vacation
- As U.S. Heroin Use Reaches 20-Year High, Cost to Society Soars
- Heart Infections Spike as Injection-Drug Abuse Climbs: CDC
- U.S. Liver Cancer Deaths Have Doubled Since 1980s: Study
- Cirrhosis Could Raise Stroke Risk
- New Combo Pill Offers Hope to Hepatitis C Patients Who Fail Other Treatment
- New Hepatitis C Infections Hit 15-Year High: CDC
- High Rates of Hepatitis C in Pregnancy Mirror Opioid Epidemic: CDC
- A 2nd Life for Risky Kidney Transplants?
- Life Expectancy With HIV Nears Normal With Treatment
- Las Vegas Could Be First U.S. City to Install Needle Vending Machines
- FDA Approves Hep C Drugs for Kids 12 and Older
- Infections More Common in People With Schizophrenia
- Hepatitis Infection May Raise Risk for Parkinson's Disease
- Baby Boomers Get an 'F' for Hep C Testing
- Prison Time Can Be Deadly … to Health
- 8 Ways to Help Kids Dodge Germs
- U.S. Vaccine Guidelines for Flu, HPV Updated
- Diabetes Risk May Be Higher for HIV-Positive Adults
- Newer Hepatitis C Drugs May Pose Health Risks: Study
- Zika Fears, Opioid Abuse Crisis Top Health News for 2016
- Rising Price of Opioid OD Antidote Could Cost Lives: Study
- Use of Needle Exchange Programs Up Dramatically in 10 Years: CDC
- U.S. Health Care Spending Up 5 Percent in 2015
- More Than Half of Americans Have Chronic Health Problem: Study
- Americans Fed Up With Soaring Drug Prices: HealthDay/Harris Poll
- Survey: Doctor/Patient Disconnect on Cancer Prevention
- Tips for Avoiding Back-to-School Germs, Illnesses
- Patent Monopolies Driving High U.S. Drug Prices: Study
- Serious Infections Tied to Suicide Risk
- Sharing Drug 'Snorting Straws' Spreads Hepatitis C
- Epclusa Approved for Chronic Hepatitis C
- Hepatitis C Patients More Likely to Drink, Study Finds
- High HIV Rates for Gay Men in Some Southern Cities
- Hepatitis C Now Leading Infectious Disease Killer in U.S.
- Obamacare Buyers Could Have Fewer Choices in 2017
- Generic Hepatitis C Drugs as Effective as Pricey Brand Names: Study
- Head and Neck Cancers May Be Linked to Hepatitis C
- Health Care Workers Skipped Hand Washing One-Third of the Time: Study
- Hepatitis C-Infected Liver Transplants May Work Well for Those With the Virus
- Hepatitis C Therapy May Reduce Need for Liver Transplants
- Ridding U.S. of Hepatitis B, C as 'Public Health Problem' Possible: Experts
- More People Surviving Sudden Liver Failure
- Should You Stop Drinking?
- Half of Gay Black Men May Become Infected With HIV, CDC Says
- CDC: Black Americans With HIV Still Less Likely to Get Ongoing Medical Care
- Zepatier Approved for Chronic Hepatitis C
- Hepatitis C Reported at 19 Dialysis Clinics: CDC
- Frozen as Good as Fresh for Fecal Transplant: Study
- Organ Recipients at Raised Risk of Cancer Death, Study Finds
- Hepatitis C May Be Tied to Greater Risk for Parkinson's Disease
- Not Enough Needle Exchange Programs Outside Cities: Study
- CDC: Too Few Schools Teach Prevention of HIV, STDs, Pregnancy
- Assessing Health Issues of Child Refugees
- Pricey Hepatitis C Drugs Denied to Almost Half of Medicaid Patients: Study
- More Could Benefit from HIV Prevention Pill Truvada
- As Rx Prices Rise, More Say Meds Are Affordable
- Faster, Cheaper Hep C Cures on the Horizon?
- In Rare Cases, Hepatitis C Drug Tied to Slowed Heart Rate: Study
- Illnesses, Deaths Spur FDA Warning on Hepatitis C Drugs
- HIV Therapy May Also Lower Risk for Hepatitis B, Study Says
- Start of School Year Calls for Vaccine Check
- Technivie Approved for Hepatitis C
- Anti-Vaccine Trend Has Parents Shunning Newborns' Vitamin Shot
- Blood Test Could Reveal Your Viral History
- Experimental Drug Combo Shows Promise Against Hepatitis C
- New Specialty Medicines Drive Up Drug Spending
- Breast Milk Bought Online Might Contain Cow's Milk, Study Finds
- Chinese Researchers Report Successful Hepatitis E Vaccine
- Hepatitis C Infections in Hospitals Show Need for Tight Infection Control Practices
- New MRI Test May Help Diagnose Liver Condition in Kids
- Vaccine Opponents Often Cluster in Communities
- Ebola, Obamacare Top U.S. Health News for 2014
- Hepatitis C Infection Isn't Related to HIV Brain Woes: Study
- Antiviral Combination Approved for Hepatitis C
- Health Highlights: Dec. 22, 2014
- New System Targets Germs in Donated Blood Plasma
- Report: Fewer U.S. Hospitalizations for Hepatitis A
- Vaccine for Hepatitis C Inches Closer to Reality
- Research Shows No Link Between Vaccinations, Risk for Multiple Sclerosis
- Pricey Hepatitis Drug a Good Bet in U.S. Prisons, Study Says
- Hepatitis C Combo Pill May Cure Those Who Can Afford It
- Infection Rates in Nursing Homes on the Rise: Study
- HIV May Have Emerged in Congo in 1920s: Study
- Report Identifies Game Changers for U.S. Health Care
- Most U.S. Babies Get Their Vaccines: CDC
- Doctors ID New Ways to Get More Kids Vaccinated
- Hepatitis C Could Become Rare Disease in 20 Years: Study
- HIV Meds May Also Help Control Hepatitis C, Study Finds
- New HIV Guidelines Released by WHO
- Childhood Vaccines Vindicated Once More
- 1 in 10 U.S. Beaches Fails Bacteria Test, Survey Finds
- Task Force Recommends Hep B Screening for High-Risk People
- CDC Urges Anti-HIV Pill for People at High Risk of Infection
- Alcohol Fuels Liver Disease in Those With HIV and Hepatitis C
- 'Breast Milk Banks' Gain in Popularity
- FAQ: The High Cost of Hepatitis C Drugs
- Cure Rate for Experimental Hepatitis C Drug Tops 95 Percent
- Could Coffee Lower Death Risk From Liver Cirrhosis?
- Nearly 3 Million Americans Living With Hepatitis C
- Hepatitis B Screening Proposed for All High-Risk Adults
- Many U.S. Adults Not Getting Key Vaccines: CDC
- Most With Hepatitis C May Soon Find Hope in New Treatments
- Testosterone May Undermine Flu Shot's Effectiveness for Men
- Sovaldi Approved for Chronic Hepatitis C
- New Hepatitis C Drug Approved by FDA
- FDA Approves New Treatment for Hepatitis C Infection
- Study Finds Too Few With Hepatitis C Start or Stick With Treatment
- Gazyva Approved for Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Study: Coffee Might Lower Risk of Liver Cancer
- Some 'High-Risk' Kidneys May Be Safe for Organ Transplant: Study
- Breast Milk Bought Online May Contain Harmful Germs: Study
- Health Tip: Stay Safe at the Nail Salon
- Study Questions Discovery of 'New' Hepatitis Virus
- Medicare, Medicaid To Keep Running Despite U.S. Government Shutdown
- FDA Airs Plan to Strengthen Rules for Imported Foods
- Frequent Cold Sores Tied to Genetic Mutation in Study
- Hepatitis B Vaccination Cuts Deaths From Liver Disease, Cancer: Study
- New Drug Combo Helps Hard-to-Treat Hepatitis C
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Chambers Aren't Cure-Alls, FDA Warns
- Baby Boomers Need Hepatitis C Test, CDC Study Confirms
- More Drugs Show Promise in Fighting Hepatitis C
- New Drug Approved to Treat HIV-1
- Country Singer Randy Travis Suffers a Stroke
- How Safe Is Your Local Beach?
- Screen All Baby Boomers for Hepatitis C, Expert Panel Says
- New Test IDs Genotype of Hepatitis C
- Statins Plus Certain Antibiotics May Set Off Toxic Reaction: Study
- Endoscopes Not Always Cleaned Properly: Study
- CDC: 87 Now Sickened in Hepatitis A Outbreak Tied to Frozen Berry Mix
- 61 Now Sickened in Hepatitis A Outbreak Tied to Frozen Berry Mix
- 49 Now Sickened in Hepatitis A Outbreak Tied to Frozen Berry Mix
- Half of People With Hepatitis C Don't Complete Needed Tests: CDC
- Experimental Drug for Hepatitis C Promising, Studies Show
- Treatment for New, Deadly Coronavirus Shows Promise
- Parents Who Veto Vaccinations Often Seek Like-Minded Opinions
- 'Sharps' Injuries Pose Serious Hazard for Surgeons, O.R. Staff
- Experimental Drug May Work Against Hepatitis C
- Millions of Americans Have an STD: Report
- Too Few Adults Get Recommended Vaccines: CDC
- Childhood Vaccine Schedule Is Safe, Report Says
- Thigh Is Safer Vaccination Site Than Arm for Toddlers, Study Finds
- Hepatitis: The Hidden Hazard
- One Man's Harrowing Battle With Hepatitis C
- 'Excellent' Survival Seen for Liver Transplant From Live Donor
- CDC: All Baby Boomers Should Get Screened for Hepatitis C
- Smoking Tied to Risk for Hepatitis Return After Liver Transplant
- Hepatitis B Infection Rates in U.S. Higher Than Thought
- CDC: All Baby Boomers Should Get Tested for Hepatitis C
- Hepatitis C Now Kills More Americans Than HIV
- CDC Issues New TB Treatment Guidelines
- Most Americans With HIV Don't Have Infection Under Control
- FDA Panel Backs 2 Hepatitis C Drugs
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter